Fort Hays State University Top Questions

Baron

College is a very different world. It seems that all throughout high school, we are constantly bombarded with tips about what college will be like. Regardless, however, I don’t think it is possible to really understand what university life will be like without knowing for yourself. Thus, if I could go back in time and give myself some advice, I would definitely have some tips to offer. The concept of learning time management is always a topic that seems to be beat to death over and over again. Nonetheless, if could teach my prior self anything, it would be how to manage free time. I could never have anticipated how much different class would be like in college. Much less time is spent in the class room, leaving much more free time to do work outside of class. If I could tell myself anything, it would be to learn time management and prioritizing tasks. Knowing how to manage class outside the classroom is the one skill that I wish I would have prepared for more in high school. If only I could go back in time to offer myself this advice. It would no doubt be helpful now.

"I know that you feel that you don't fit in. You're right, you don't, because you are amazing - you really need to believe this. You need to have faith in your God-given ability to succeed. You were created to do something great - so find a terrific school (you can pick anywhere, because you are really smart) and go! You will tell me that you can't because you can't handle the social issues - well, I'll tell you about that. You wouldn't know this now, but you are on the autism spectrum. Someday you will have a child who is on the spectrum also, and you will realize that he inherited that from you. At first you will cry about this, but eventually you will realize that the "lonely hole" that you say is inside you is simply how your austism manifests itself - autism hampers your ability to connect with others. This will be true forever, but another true thing is that you truly care about others, and someday you will strive to help the world to understand what austism is. How quickly that day comes depends on what you choose to do now."

Hannah

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell her to focus more on education and getting involved and less on trying to have a perfect social life. I have realized over the past year that partying back then had absolutely no positive effect on my future. I wish I had gotten more involved with clubs and organizations within my school and community. Also, I needed to understand how important my grades and ACT score actually was. If I could go back and study harder for a test or finish all my homework I would. I never fully comprehended the importance of school. If I had directed more of my attention to my studies, then I would not be in the situation I am right now trying to apply for multiple scholarships to be able to afford college. Never will I be able to go talk to the past me, but I can, and will, talk to other high school students and inform them how vital high school education truly is.

Linda

Knowing what I know today about college life and making the transition, what advice I would give myself is to enjoy the experience. Make a schedule for your studies and make sure academics are completed to the best of your abilities. Start term papers immediately and not wait until the last minute. Do no be afraid to take a lighter class load to make the good grades because the grades are important to get into graduate school. After you have your academics in place, then have fun and make new friends. In college you will meet so many people from diverse backgrounds that will help you in any field you get into. Have an experience that you can look back on in your fifties and know that you did well academically but you had fun.

Kaila

I would tell myself to start of the year strong with studying. College is so much more intense than high school and there are so many more opportunities that it can be hard to devote as much time to your schoolwork that you should. I would have told myself to not assume that just because I had a passion for physics I would be able to understand it all. I need to study and invest time into my classes because it is so worth it in the end. I also would have told myself to spend time on my general education classes because even though they aren't always that interesting or fun they still affect your grades and you should do as well as possible in those so that you have a little wiggle room in your harder classes.

Caitlin

Put your school first, no matter what. School is the most important thing for your future and life.

Don't worry about picking a major right away there is a lot of time your first year. Also college isn't scary at all, everyone is in the same boat andthe teachers transition you quite easy. you will need to study more in colleg than in high school though.

Shelby

I have not yet attended to the full extent of my potential, though the classes I have taken already were very enlightening and helped me improve my writing greatly, and I hope to take away much more within the next four years of my college experiance.

Adam

Knowledge. The acquiring of knowledge through education, is most valuable.

Before I came to Fort Hays I was shy, which made it hard to make friends. But when I got here everyone was friendly and they made it easy for me to come out of my shell. Because Fort Hays is such a small school it does not really feel like a place where it is just teachers and students, but a family. We all care about each other. Most colleges the class size is so big that a student is just a number; here the instructors know everyone’s name. I hate to think what my life would have been like if I had gone to a bigger college or even a different college with the same class size. Fort Hays has helped me so much to grow as an individual, while also giving me an excellence education

Mary

an education and the chance to meet people from all over the world.

Krysta

The best thing that i have experienced here at Fort Hays State University is that i have learned to look after myself. I am completly self sufficent with no help from my parents, and it is all thanks to attending college. It has made me a more responisble person, and i am better off because of it. I also gained better leadership and social skills that will be beneficial to any future jobs i applie for.

Brittney

My experience at Fort Hays has been more than I could ever expect. I have learned that my education is not only important to me but it is equally important to every advisor, teacher and Staff at Fort Hays. I can reach out for help or questions at any time and there is always someone there to lend a hand. I have learned that a smaller school has just as many activities and clubs that I can join to be a part of the social environment as a larger school. I am very excited and driven to be a part of something so fantastic and as I pursue my dream of becoming a pediatric doctor, I know that my university will guide me every step of the way and always set me up to succeed.

Deandra

What I have gotten out of my college experience is an eye opening to a whole lot of new oppurtunities and experiences that I never had while I attened high school. I have met a lot of new friends and make great connections with my teachers that I will remember forever. It's been valuable because I feel like I am having fun and having a great experience while getting a great education.

Christopher

I've gotten a really good education, with extremely talented faculty who made it a top priority to make sure that I learned what I would need to make it as a practicing therapist. I had the good fortune of working with several very caring, very involved teachers in all of the different programs I sampled during my time at FHSU. I honestly feel that I have gotten a good, well-rounded liberal arts education that has prepared me well for life outside the university. I am returning to graduate school to further my education and career, because my work at FHSU has really lit a fire in me for my chosen field of study. I am not only passioinate about furthering my therapy career, but also am confident that the skills and habits I learned from my FHSU colleagues has left me fully prepared for more rigorous coursework. I love FHSU and would recommend the academic program there to anyone interested in a career in professional psychology.

What I have gotten out of my college experience since I have attended the art institute is that taking a chance at least when it comes to your education, just going out there and doing what you feel you are the best at (in my case) yielded great rewards and experiences. I feel that I have enjoyed my time here and I would not trade these experiences for anything. I've learned about the different kinds of art forms in my major such as motion capture, 3D modeling, green screen, and so forth. All of these I would have never understood if I would have stayed at home still twiddling my thumbs, thinking of what to do next. I'm very grateful for my time learning here and I hope that others will feel that way if they choose this path as well.

carrie

My college experience from Fort Hays State University has allowed me to have a solid education experience while I live in Germany. The virtual college opportunity lets me learn when I am at home in Munich or skiing in Austria. I never have to worry if I am getting a good education. FHSU 's reputation is rock solid and I will hold my education up to anyone. ... in Europe or the US!

Jazzmin

If I could go back in time to talk to my High School Senior Self with the knowledge I possess today about college. I would say why, why, why (crying), don't you take advantage of the opportunities available to you as having two guardians over you financially, ?Parents? and ?Government.? Go ask your school counselor if you can attend college as soon a possible so that you may save some money by having the opportunity of having the government pay for your school? I just learned about the three basic types of financial aid: grants, work-study, and loans. Reason I started late in finding about grants, work study and loans is because I let down my pride, stopped listening to peer pressure (like being called a NERD) and started to caring about my self. Well I hope you consider me until then

Ken

Based on my experiences and decisions made thus far, I would encourage my younger and more inexperienced self to follow his ambitions. Strangely enough, I would say that I've gotten where I'm at now based on an interesting and seemingly impossible series of events that would in no way have occurred if I'd known what I do now. That being said, I would encourage my future self to take advantage of the situation he's in, no matter what the circumstance. Opportunities are a lot like shopping at a thrift store: Such items may seem unappealing or underappreciated to the untrained eye, yet if you look hard enough (and with a speck of imagination) many things can become what you?re looking for. It would be very easy to tell young Ken the shortcuts and great tips on how to study, what to worry about, etc., yet I feel as though my life experiences, failures, and successes have allowed me to enjoy the benefits of hard work, learn from the disappointments, and take nothing for granted. I wouldn?t want it any other way now, nor would I for my future self.

Nathan

Don't be in a hurry to decide what you want to do with your life. Experience your first couple of years to the fullest and get general education classes out of the way, then decide what you want to major in and set your focus on it. There will be things you go through that you might regret, dont, everything you experience you can learn from and that's what shapes your character.

Jenna

If I could return to high school and hold a conversation with myself, I would tell myself to choose my mother's alma mater. Fort Hays has been the best university for me and looking back I wish I would have chosen to attend this university instead of attending Kansas State University. I would also have to remind my high school self to not sweat the small stuff in class and to really take the time to get to know my professors. Since I started attending Ft. Hays, I made a point to know my professors and that has made all the difference in my education. I wish I had taken the opportunity to do so while attending Kansas State, but Ft. Hays is a much better fit for me and I would tell myself that I should stick to a smaller university because I would excell much more by doing so.

Chelsea

The first thing I would tell myself would be to not worry and stress so much. It is definitely a big change from highschool, but not anything that I can't handle. My biggest fear was being around so many strangers. I would remind myself that most people are afraid of the same things that I am. The last thing I would tell myself would be to cherish the ease of highschool. College is so much more work!

Jayne

Life isn't about you in high school, you learn from it and then grow from every experience therein and thereafter. Look for opportunities to grow and snatch them up, do things you love! Especially those first two years of college, everyone is new and looking for their own identity live it to the fullest. This is the time to soak in everything that is offered that you may be interested in. Once there in things that you truly can identify with and find yourself indulging in look around you, these people are crucial parts of your life. Invest in those around you, that also helps you grow more than words could express. Live life on life with other people, its not where you go necessarily but how you go. Go with an open mind and heart to explore every opportunity or door opened to you. Assess when it is good to go along with the crow and when it is okay to stay home and read a book or two, finding time and prioritizing now will help you the rest of your years in college and beyond. But most of all have fun you only live this life once.

Monica

I would begin with telling myself that no matter what happens everything will work itself out, but hard work only makes it better. The problems that I would have would be insignificant and I would better prepare myself for the tests at the end of the year. I would make sure I completed more scholarships. Once I graduated high school, I would reassure myself everyday leading up to leaving Texas for Kansas that college is going to be fun, and even though I lived high school being shy and kept in the shadows, once I started my new beginning I would become outgoing and have more friends than ever before. I would tell myself to tell everybody bye because it was going to be seven weeks before I would get to see them again, and I would remind myself to grab the acoustic guitar so I would not forget how to play. I would tell myself to not pack the highheels because once I got to college I would not want to go partying. My last words to myself would be once I started college, everything would mellow out. Just live it and don't worry to much.

Jami

I would tell myself to not get to wrapped up in my boyfriend and to make more friends in general. I am now a sophomore in college and I don't have very many girlfriends. Your first year of college when you're living in the dorms is the time to make as many friends as possible and I didn't take advantage of this time. I was always in my room talking to my boyfriend who still lived back home. I would have also spent more time relaxing and maintaining the relationships that I had at the time because I feel that I have lost some of the friends that I came to college with.

Michelle

The advice that I would give myself would be to put school first, and that the rest of your life will come after. Life flies by so fast. School is but a short, small period of time in a person's life, yet it can lay the path of your life to come. Love can wait. Families can wait. When you have education , it can help to make all other choices in your life smarter and smoother.

Angela

When I was in high school, I didn't research my college choices, nor did I have any preparation. I didn't know to apply for scholarships. I didn't even know what a Pell Grant was. So I went to a local Community College because I didn't have the funds to pay for a 4 year university. I didn't research my school or the major and had no clue what to do once I was there at school. I eventually quit after my family moved to FLA. I made several attempts to return, but it never came to fruition. Now in my 30's, in a dead ended career, I am unemployed and don't have any real prospects. I did not build equity in my future by diversifying my strengths, I fostered my ignorance by not looking into things and listening to my counselors and teachers. As an adult now providing for a family, I realize the mistake of my ways and how I need to change to make a difference, not just in my life but in that too of my family. The key is to research your options and to not give up.

Cynthia

Given the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would have advised myself to become more involved in extracurricular activities. I would have taught myself how to budget better so that I would not have had to work as much and I would have greatly encouraged myself to join clubs and scholarly groups. During my actual senior year of college I did join the agriculture club and it was the best year of college I experienced. I would also encourage myself to not become wrapped up in the typical college life of alcohol and parties. I had never experienced those things before I went to college and it was too easy to be influenced by it. After my freshman year, I resolved to focus more on my education and less on my social life. I still had fun and I felt proud that my grades and health improved. There are so many other negative influences that are hard to resist in college. I would advise myself also on the importance of finding good friends who value the same things you do and want to gain the same experience. They can be an invaluable support.

Brice

Going to college is a bigger step than one can imagine. It is different from waking up and walking to school each morning. In college, everybody is more focused to accomplish their own goals, even outside of the classroom. To put things in perspective, I spend less time in the classroom in college than I did in high school. I have much more free time to myself. However, that time must be used for homework or studying. Additionally, as a music performance major, I must dedicate a lot of my time to practicing a particular instrument as well. This sort of focus was difficult to obtain at first, but you have to love what you're studying in order to motivated to practice. Also, colleges are notorious for the amount of forms you must complete. Get your FAFSA finished as soon as possible! Finish the application process at your college of choice before summer hits! If you procrastinate, all the work will catch up with you, and you will be pushing a lot of work into a short amount of time. Get it done before it is too late!

Anthony

I would say, to always do the best you can. You can never let yourself down, no matter how much fun college can be at times, never let yourself down. Stay towards your goals, strive everyday for sucess and of course this is no joke this is the real deal what you are going to be who you are and your life/future is after this.

lareina

Buckle down and study! It is only 4 years and it is important to do well! Believe in yourself and the rest will fall into place!

Kayla

I would tell myself to open up more, and not stay in my comfort zone. I would also tell myself that school is important, but so is my social life. I would encourage myself to be apart of more on and off campus activities. I would encourage myself to live in the dorms and meet as many people as I possibly could, and to just be a college student, but also balance school. I would tell my self to have an open mind about everything and never settle for less than what I am capable of . College is the time of my life, I and want to to be unforgettable.

Courtney

Do what you want, not what will make other people happy.

Emilie

I was never a high school senior, because of the Kansas Academy of Math and Science I'm still technically only a junior. But, if I could go back and talk to the high school me I would tell myself to not get so caught up in the drama and to focus on my grades. I could have had a 4.0 if I wouldn't have bothered with the boys and all the drama. I would tell myself there is bigger and better things out there and people that will accept you no matter what you wear to school that day. Collge life had made me grow up faster and realize that rude people don't matter and that succeeding in school will get you more places in life and being the most popular person will not.

James

I would tell myself that I would need to make up my mind about my major, and to make sure I signed up for more than 14 credit hours. I would also let myself know that it would definitely best if I would work on my formal essay writing and to be more social t oget used to a college environment.

To have fun with friends but, still allow time to study.

Look through a variety of schools in a vareity of locations; and don't elimante possible schools based on location is price. Look into all the aspects of the college: cost, location, diversity, activities and programs, housing (off and on campus). If student is an incoming freshman live in the dorms or join a club- it's easier to meet people this way. Don't only attend a college because all of your high school friends are going - branch out and meet different people.

It is a must to visit the school you are thinking about. When you visit make sure that you check out the main buildings you will be in, especially the dorms. YOU HAVE TO FEEL AT HOME!!! If you don't feel comfortable around the entire campus your experience will be awful. Don't let the price of the institution stop you from attending, there are always ways to make it possible. Have all the fun you can, while you can.

Morgan

Make sure that the program your child wants to go into is accredited, because if it isn't then it is a waste of money to go to that school for that degree. Which means that you can take the degree from that school, however if you transfer to get a masters degree 9 times out of ten all fo the classes have to be retaken. I learned this the hard way :(

Trista

I would advise students to choose the college that fits them best, even if it isn't the one that offers the best scholarship. I would also advise them to not be afraid to try new things. That's what being in college is all about. Even if they only have a slight interest in the topic, take a class or join a club. Find out more. See if you like it. Don't be afraid to fail.

Zach

Find a college that is student orented. do not send your child to a university that is all about the money. Get involved in your school. You will have a much better experience if you meet new people.

Allison

Go take a campus tour and actually see where you or your student will be living. It's also a good idea to talk to other student there on campus and get their personal opinon of the campus and school. It's always best to go from personal experiance so go and make yourself at home at the campus and really dig into the atmosphere and see how you feel about the place.

College is not for everyone. College is difficult and does require a lot of self-disciple. College is also fun and rewarding, and in my opinion totally worth the student loans and the time. When choosing a college, pick the college that is best for your own personal preferences. Pick a college that has a good program for your major, is affordable, has the correct environment, and has the right amount of activities you are interested in. Visit the campus before deciding on the college that is right for you. Talk to current students and get opinions from people on the campus or in the area. Research the perspective college until you are completely comfortable with your decision. College is different for everyone, and everyone has a college that is best for their own personal futures. Make sure that you are building towards your own future, and not someone else?s.

Ashli

The one thing that I would tell future college students is to listen to their heart, and follow it. Choose the place they want to further their education for themselves. Do not make their decision for someone else, whether that be parents, a boyfriend/girlfriend, or best friend. Choose the college that makes them feel most comfortable. There truly is the perfect fit for each an every student out there. They may not even find it on the first try, and that's okay! It's their future and they will find their path when it's right for them. Once they find it, the doors of opportunity will blow open. Make the most of your college experience and make as many friends as possible. Networking is the key to success in the real world. Most importantly, relax and have fun. College is truly the best years of your life! Soak in all the learning you can! It WILL benefit you in the long run!

I advise parents and studends to visit college campuses to get a feel of the college and see if they can visualize themselves at the school. It is also benificial to visit more than one school to see which one best fits you. It is important to research the school and community that the school is in to see the type of housing, entertainment, transportation, and shopping that is available. The crime rate is also another thing that needs to be considered when chosing a college.

Casey

Let kids not only look at the academics, but also at the atmosphere . If a student is at a university but doesn't feel comfortable, then they will not have a good experience.

Paige

Finding the right college, isn't necessarily about where it is. Its about the opportunities you gain by going there. The more opportunities for traveling, clubs, groups, classes and internships, the better. It is life experience that can be valuable no matter what your major is. Its incredibly important that you feel like you can get involved on campus. The more people you meet, the more fun you'll have, and the greater your network will become. Clubs can make the transition to college easier by helping you make more friends, and study partners, especially when you chose a club close to your major. Really, these life experiences prepare you for the real world, which isn't all studying in the library or going out on friday to party, do something meaningful.

Students need to get involved on campus, the sooner the better. Friends and people who care will make your college experience that much better. The more friends and aquaintances you meet the more study groups you can form. One of the top things that help you through college is having a happy, medium social life. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class or go see your professor. The only thing worse than not asking a question is regretting not asking it later. Respect your professors and they will respect you and show up to class on time, preferably five minutes before it starts. It's your responsibility to get out of bed, your mom isn't there to wake you up in the mornings. If you have a problem, don't wait to address it, that goes for enrolling and also homework.

Alex

The student should choose the college, not the parent

Adam

In order to make the right decision about where to attend college you need to look at the field of study you are interested in. Do not base your decision on the athletic programs at the schools, unless that is what you are wanting to get out of your college experience. Many people say that college is the best time of your life. This can be true, but you also must realize that you are at college to get an education and hopefully a good job after graduation. Have fun, but do not forget that you need to attend classes and study, not just party every night.