Fort Hays State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Fort Hays State University

Kara

I have had a positive experience at Fort Hays State University. Some of my professors and classes have been excellent, and all of the professors are available and respond to students. I would recommend Fort Hays State Univeristy.

Codi

Fort Hays is affordable and offers a unique learning experience with small class sizes and individual relationships with professors. As a member of the Art and Design program, I am enjoying our new building and all of its fabulous amenities such as the new printmaking lab and the rows of iMacs in the graphics labs. The staff in the Art and Design department are caring and do there very best to give each student an individual education.

Adella

As a Graphic design major, I was thrilled to find out there was a great program here for it! The academics are very strong for most departments, the teachers are very approachable, the campus isn't too crazy, and there is a club/organization for just about everyone! For the price compared to other Kansas universities, it's definitely worth it.

Susan

Small class sizes, affordable tuition and great professors and instructors.

Braden

I was sold when I went to my first visit. Faculty is more than willing to talk to students one-on-one. Campus, and the city itself, is small enough to retain the small town values and atmosphere, yet large enough to fill all your wants. Aside from all of that, the balance between tuition expenses, and quality of the University as a whole, is almost remarkable. FHSU is for everyone.

Jacob

I think that Fort Hays is a great college to go to. This is my second year and I love it. My first year was a blast. I made so many new friends and had the best time of my life. I am glad that I chose this University. It is the cheapest university in Kansas but it doesn't feel like you. I think the teaching is perfectly fine and the class sizes are just right. There isn't a time that I felt that I couldn't go to a teacher after class and he wouldn't be able to help me. I would recommend Fort Hays to anyone. You won't regret the experience you'll have.

Ryan

Fort Hays has been and will forever be the place I wanted to attend school at. I was involved in a menagerie of things and would advise people to branch out. If you are looking for a college, I would advise looking at Fort Hays. The staff is highly reliable, professors more than willing to work with you and a large amount of knowledge is readily available.

Dinah

Small and unpopular in comparison to other universities in Kansas, but very promising with so much to offer!

Jeremiah

I feel as though this University is overall a very welcoming place. Everyone seems very dedicated to getting their degree as well being having the time of their lives. There is a variety of different extracurricular activities people are able to partake in and there is group for everyone. Professors are well verse in what they teach and they all seem to care very much for their students. The campus is very tidy due to the amazing custodial staff and students are conscientious of the mess they create.

Peter

Fort Hays State University is

Kayce

I think that Fort Hays State University is great for the price. All of the professors I have had were very nice and always willing to help students succeed. I think that campus housing and dining could use some improvement. I would recommend FHSU to other students.

Rebecca

Fort Hays is a great place to be. the staff there is great and makes sure to help students when needed. the atmosphere is very friendly and is probably one of the best parts about this school. Fort Hays also has a beautiful quad that students can participate in groups and study groups on the grass

Skyler

I really enjoy going to Fort Hays State University since they have lots of activities they offer. I also enjoy the all the classes you can take on and off campus. The people here are extremely friendly and always offer to help out in any case. The Greek life on campus is also very inviting.

kim

This university has been very helpful with the admissions process and helping me gain more knowledge. I am grateful for the admissions staff an all the information that I have received from them. I was very happy with there program choices and the helpfulness of the dean of studies for the area I have decided to pursue.

Shawna

Fort Hays State University is a pretty good college to attend. It is highly affordable and pretty decent quality of education. There are a few departments that change all the time, but most of them are pretty consistent. The departments I am most impressed with are Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Science gets a bad rep for being hard classes that everyone must automatically hate. Many of the professors really try to reach the students on their level. They spend hours and hours figuring out a better way to teach the material. If you have questions (they know you do), you can always email your professor or go to their office hours. All of the professors that I have had have been very good at getting back to me at least via email. Classes can be super difficult, just based on the content. However, if you are willing to put in the effort and be open to learning, you can go far here at Fort Hays. I know many of my professors outside of class as well. They are seen outside of school and are friendly inside and outside of the classroom. Many are also willing to be references for jobs or always rooting for the students. The faculty is always pushing the students to be independent and critical thinkers. This goes for all departments. Sure you can have a few professors who you do not get along with, but if you try, they are probably still willing to work with you. Fort Hays is well known across campus as being a partying university. Many students frequent the nearby clubs and bars. Tailgating actually has a timeframe. Some people still believe that the German drinking song, In Heaven There is No Beer, is our university song. It is not, but it is sung at almost all of the sporting events. The university also tries to provide as much protection by providing car rides for those visiting bars and also informing the students about alcoholism and drug abuse.

Jamie

Fort Hays State University is a cheap way to get a university experience! With many options for extracurricular activities, intramural sports, and great hang out spots, you will easily make friends for life. The small class sizes ensure that you will have one-on-one time with teachers, and your success is their priority.

Jennie

When I first came to Fort Hays, I was very unsure about whether or not I belonged here. Coming from a more urban area out to a more rural one, where I knew many of the students would have known each other from other local high schools, I was very nervous about making friends, having friends in class, or even just friendly faces. Thankfully, due to the professors, other students, and enthusiastic alumni, I quickly started to fee like, at least for the moment, I belonged.

Fort Hays State University is a very appealing University. The cost of tuition for both on campus and online students is extremely affordable, and below the average for universities in Kansas. The only negative I've dealt with is the Financial aid office is a pain to work with.

adriana

I think that it is a really great school lots of warm welcomes and smiling faces. It is a very friendly school and I can't wait to tart attending the classes I have picked out. The campus is expanding it looks like and it is so pretty and so clean thank goodness I can not handle filth.

Matthias

My visit was great people were great the professors were fun and there was an overall great feeling of being there it was like being in a big family. the upper classes are very helpful to new students and I absolutely love that they have a Starbucks.

Duke

I am an out of state and On-line student. I think the assignments need to be explained better and the Instructional technology major needs to have more classes geared towards graduates seeking careers in the business world. Overall, the teachers are available very often and are more than willing to assist students as long as they pursue answers.

Christopher

I love Fort Hays State and have recommended it to fellow friends and coworkers. The professors are always willing to assist me if I have any questions or concerns. Campus is clean and safe and there is plenty of school spirit. I remember my first semester back in school in years as I am an older student I was naturally out of sync. We were given a team project and upon hearing the details I felt overwhelmed. I asked for assistance from my professor and they actually stayed after class for an hour to help. Go Tigers!

Brett

I think Fort Hays State does a great job making students feel like the campus is a home and a safe place to learn and have fun. The university also does a great job encouraging students to participate in activities, as well as providing plenty of opportunities to do so.

A

Fort Hays State University is a great school. Very affordable, very friendly. It doesn't take much effort to get involved and met people who will be life long friends. Fort Hays State University professors care about students and are invested in their success. The small class size makes it easy to get to know your professor and develop a relationship with them.

Alicia

My overall opinion of Fort Hays State University is that it provides solid opportunity but does not necessarily encourage it. By this I mean that opportunity to do well, the ability to meet with professors, recreational sports, and availability to get involved with arts and music are all provided by the university, but not necessarily prompted. Involvement requires great effort by the student. This is why those individuals determined to do well thrive at Fort Hays as they stand out and benefit from the cheaper tuition, but those students who want to be involved in a social life outside of class turn to drinking most of the time. This school is a party school, which if avoided, the classes and academics are beneficial to students, but it is extremely difficult to steer clear of the party scene the University displays. Students who chose to live off campus, spend their time at work, and simply go to class and focus on their education do well at this school. However, there is a huge success gap between these individuals and the majority of Fort Hays attendees as a whole.

Brenda

Im an online student, so I'm no expert on-campus life. I can't tell you about how my online classes/virtually have gone. Read the syllabus once and twice and keep copies their usually pretty accurate. I have had no complaints with fort hays instructors. The potential to work with children is also a huge opportunity depending on the degree and level of competence one has. A social worker needs a master’s degree to be able be a therapist counselor, then the ability to deal with the whole family dynamic comes into play. Although having the whole family through during the interview may not be the most effective strategy. The counselor will have to decide on separating them or doing induvial interviews is beneficial for the family.

Alexander

Fort Hays is a very beautiful campus and everything on it is very accessible and within a walkable distance from a lot of off-campus housing. The students seem to be very involved with the athletics on-campus and are willing to go out and support there teams. Overall, I think it would be a great place to get a degree from.

Kevin

Fort Hays State University is truly one of a kind: the cheapest university in Kansas, I would say that this campus is well worth the price. There is not a lot to do around here, and they find ways for you to make up for the cheap tuition with bonkers expensive housing costs, but overall the professors are wonderful, the turnover rate is high, and the people are friendly and wonderful.

Makaylan

When I first visited Fort Hays, there was this very homey feel. As I enrolled and spent my first few days as a student on campus, I realized that's exactly what this college is. There are so many friendly people all around campus and most of the professors are always available to help, even at odd hours. When it comes to extracurricular activities, there's so many ways to get involved. There's an outstanding music and theater department where you can easily get involved if you're willing to put in the hours. All of our athletic teams prove to be some of the best in the nation, especially women's basketball. Trust me, you will never find an atmosphere as awesome as a Lady Tiger Basketball game. There is a huge party scene, if you like that kind of thing, but it's just as easy to stay on camps safely but still have a lot of fun with your friends. Overall, I would never choose a different college with all of these perks and the AMAZING price.