Fort Lewis College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Fort Lewis College

Laurel

Overall great school. Durango culture is pretty laid back so it is important to be self motivated - you definitely get out what you put in. Lots of diversity and many chances to get involved on and off campus. There are lots of resources available for students. Small class sizes make building relationships with professors very accessible, and the school is willing to work with you to make sure you can explore everything you want to, from multiple majors to an nontraditional degree track, etc.

Dylan

Loved my experience at FLC. Not the most challenging but I felt I was offered a good direction for potential careers. You will get out of the degree what you put in. One of the best things is that the class sizes are small which leaves plenty of space to connect with professors.

Lotus

I think the Fort is an amazing college, I'm a local kid, so I grew up in Durango. Despite going to school in the town I was raised in, and feeling an urge to want to explore and get out, I went to the fort. It feels so different, it has it's own culture and everyone is so nice and friendly. Just yesterday I spent an hour after class with my professor and three other students to continue our conversation about consciousness. Some professors can be picky with grading but they leave an overabundance of notes and will sit down with you for hours to talk about your papers and how to do better. If you take the time to learn you WILL learn, especially if you learn best in a collaborative environment. Very little is lecture, so if hiding in the back of the classroom is your style, you won't like the fort. Academics are by far the best part of the fort in my opinion, student life is great and the food and housing is average. If you want teachers you can chat with about your major who share the same passions you do, then the fort is for you.

Amber

it is a fine institution of leaning and extra curricular activities. I am very happy I made the decision to apply and hopefully I am accepted so that I can see for myself how great it really is. I actually also want to go back to school, I believe this will help me achieve that goal.

Malik

Fort Lewis College. Sometimes I don't know whether or not I am in school or if I am on vacation? I go to class at 8 in the morning, I get out from 11 in the morning or 12 in the afternoon. After that during the winter I go snowboarding, and do my homework. During cycling season (Spring) I go and train 2-5 hours and then do my homework. On the weekend I either go snowboarding in the winter or train all day during the season. Now that I think about it, I think it is definitely vacation in Fort Lewis College.

Charlotte

A beautiful area! So many activities and such a great community with everyone being very into the outdoors! this school offers lots of resources as far as research. there are also many clubs and activities on campus and in town to keep busy! there is so much to do like hiking, biking, and even skiing!

Brian

Fort Lewis College is tucked away in the mountains and it doesn't seem like it is very well know nation-wide. The science depart really is pretty good. Our mathematics department could use some attention. The professors that have been hired are good, but there isn't much room to get into advanced studies. There is room for growth here at the university. The students have a voice, but extra curricular events, clubs, sports could use more organization by students. Overall, I would say it is a good choice. It is away from some of the temptations of the gigantic colleges, but seems to provide a solid foundation for a first degree.

I love Fort Lewis College. There are so many opportunities for every type of student here. Teachers are accommodating, and it is a very active community. Every person I have met here is beyond generous. Fort Lewis provides a very peaceful laid back community with lots of adventuring and outside play. If you are an outdoorsy person with a super rad personality, FLC may be the place for you.

Nicholas

I believe that Fort Lewis offers a great combination of both academic and athletic pursuit, while still being able to be social and make lots of close friends. The professors are always willing to help and offer extra hours, on top of regular office hours, to meet and discuss topics that are difficult.

Sam

Its a fun and beautiful place to learn! There are plenty of places to study and give you access to a computer if you don't have one. Also, the food is great, except for meatless Mondays, those sneak up on you. There's ice cream though and its delicious. The scenery will win you instantly.

Mia

I think it is a good school in an amazing location. As you get farther into your degree, the classes become more degree specific. The main issue I have run into at Fort Lewis was the Advising department. The advisors I had met with, many times, had me leaving with many questions; until I found an advisor that was happy to work with me and was very concerned with making sure I left our appointments feeling prepared. Aside from some administrative issues, Fort Lewis has been a great place to start my education.

Molly

The town itself is wonderful, so quaint and beautiful and full of friendly people and fun things to do; overall a perfect college town. All of the students and staff are friendly, helpful, welcoming and accommodating. Truly a wonderful school with great professors and opportunities.

Sophie

Fort Lewis is a small school in a small town. For some people it is perfect, for others, not so much. Fort Lewis is not called 'Fort Leisure' for nothing, the classes are pretty easy, and everyone seems to have a pretty laid back attitude. This school is great for people who enjoy outdoor activities, especially winter sports, and mountain biking.

CJ

Fort Lewis College is an amazing school, however, if it would only stuck to the liberal arts message that the students love so much, the school would do much better.

Procellacide

I love how accessible the faculty is and how supportive they are, they all want you to succeed. Most of my professors are have doctorates degrees so even though it's a smaller campus I'm still getting a great education. Durango is also a beautiful town, there are trails everywhere. Nice casual town.

Carley

Fort Lewis college is the perfect college for a student who is looking for smaller classroom sizes and one on one face time with professors. There is an endless amount of things to get involved in on campus and in the local community. The local community is very supportive of the college too. It's a beautiful place to learn and grow.

Jordann

Fort Lewis College was my home for four years as an Undergraduate Engineering Student. I knew I was home the first time I did a college tour. Known as the "College in the Clouds", Fort Lewis sits above the town on a hill. This makes any view from the college immaculate. Not only are you able to see the town but you are in the middle of the Colorado Rockies surrounded by beautiful mountains. If I felt spaced out in class, had an entire project fail or was missing my lab partner I always would take a walk outside. All my worries seemed to disappear as my eyes set on the mountain tops. Not only does Fort Lewis College have a phenomenal location but they have an outstanding staff. As an engineering student I learned most of my professors had come from the top graduate schools in the nation. With a hands on learning style at Fort Lewis students are prepared for real world jobs. One downside to attend Fort Lewis College is it doesn't have name recognition like some other schools. Most companies have heard of big universities and this stand out on a job resume. I think Fort Lewis needs to greatly improve their global recognition and career services. Career services should have individual counselors to attend to student needs, Fort Lewis does not. This leaves some graduates left without a plan after graduation. Overall I would recommend going to Fort Lewis College. If a small class size, passionate teachers and a mountain town vibe appeals to you then go!

Izana

Walking into Fort Lewis, I believed this was the place to become a different person. I wanted to meet more people and open up to more than I normally would. Attending for only my first year, I've done so by making friends with group intelligent and athletic people I cant relate with and hang out with weekly. I've also opened up to other friends amongst the school that I can rely on to help me exceed in my academics. Although the Fort does not offer my original plan major in Neuroscience, I still intend to take my courses for psychology step by step to lead me and get in Grad school for Cognitive Neuroscience. I'd say it has pushed me in the right directions so far.

Mackenzie

This campus is in the most beautiful surroundings. The students are so lucky to get to learn in such an amazing environment. There is so much opportunity for outdoor adventure and it awaits right outside your door. The staff seem really helpful and the smaller class sizes make it easier to learn and understand. I can't wait to learn more.

Sienna

As I drive up to my little campus in the sky I unconsciously break for the deer that meander across the road, their wet noses sparkling in the morning sunshine. Blossom petals float around me as I park, almost like snow. I feel elevated here, up in my elegant bird's nest of a school. I can see white tipped mountains in every direction, the town below built with red brick and metal. This campus is my home, even though I live in the valley far away, this place is where I am meant to be.

Erika

I loved Fort Lewis. I was only there for a year and a half, but had the best time. I met great people and had some amazing and caring professors. As always theres gonna be some professors that aren't as good as others but thats always to be expected. I had many opportunities to join clubs and extracurriculars but only joined one. Its a great school and offers many opportunities for your future.

Brian

In a word, Fort Lewis College is amazing. Nestled within (or rather above) the town of Durango, Colorado, The Fort offers community events both big and small, from movie showings to dorm exclusive video game tournaments. Food can be purchased from a number of locations, including the Rocket Grille, Animas Perks, and the San Juan Dining Hall. To be honest however, the food, especially what's offered in the dining hall, is average. Academics are rigorous.

Phyllis

It's a very nice school with people to match. Academics and extracurricular activities are both supported by an energetic and helpful staff. The class sizes allow for a one on one interaction. Tutoring and other facilities are free and accessible for the students of the campus.

Jordan

I had the option to go to Fort Lewis College and the University of New Mexico back when deciding colleges and picking The Fort has been one of the best decisions I've made as a young adult. I took a step out from my comfort zone and moved out of state where I met some of the most influential people I know both friends, peers, and professors. The class sizes are great to be able to listen, engage with others and ask questions whenever necessary. The campus is set on a hill that looks over beautiful Durango which is a great place for various outdoor activities in every season. Overall I love Fort Lewis and everything it has to offer. I'd recommend it to anyone that is looking for great academics in a lovely town with genuine people.

Ivonna

Fort Lewis College is a school that is academically good. Resources on campus are available to all the students and staff. The campus isn't too big, it's smaller than average colleges and universities and the class sizes are small. This college is great for all students who aren't looking to start at big universities and the campus feels very welcoming.

Fort Lewis College is a small college in Durango, Colorado. I was born in Durango and chose to stay here for college because I wanted to be close to my family and it was cheap. I don't regret going to Fort Lewis College, but I wish I only went for one year instead of two. Unless if you are into climbing, biking, skiing, or hiking, then Fort Lewis is not the college for you. The school seems to only accommodate their activities surrounding these interests and doesn't care about other interests. The food in the cafeteria is not good. It is not fresh, very dry, and hardly digestible. I am a person who hates to leave bad reviews about places, but I don't want other kids to make the same mistake that I did. The dorm life is very boring. I stayed in the dorm my freshman year and it looked like the inside of a prison (and yes, I have toured prisons before). They don't offer community activities or really decorate them. They also don't put you with roommates that you are "most alike" with. In my hall alone, about half of the people roomed with each other switched by the end of second semester. This is a problem because they make you fill out a survey about how you prefer certain things and its almost like they put you with the opposite. Fort Lewis isn't all that bad, the class sizes are small so you have the opportunity to develop a relationship with your professors. There is also a large amount of group work within the classroom, so you get to know your classmates pretty well. Overall, I would not recommend Fort Lewis for students like me, but if you are into climbing, skiing, mountain biking, and activities like that, then Fort Lewis might be right down your alley.

Andreana

Fort Lewis may not be an ivy league school or be located in California. But it makes up for it in every way possible. Instead its located in Durango Colorado in between the forest good for hiking and a very popular skiing resort near by. If you are a student, they even provide camping and hiking gear. Not only that but they are rebuilding and constantly fixing the buildings and dorms, to make sure that everything is in working condition. All the teachers have exact times and dates in which they can be found making it easy to find them if you are in need of help. Including that there are many activities that you can choose from from art to hiking. This makes it easier to find people with the same interest. Even though the food isn't the best each year they are trying not only for it to be better but also healthier. The entire school focuses on living a healthier and greener life. They promote recycling and using not using as much plastic. Everyone in Fort Lewis is very nice and kind, my first time going to Fort Lewis I had gotten lost and a student helped me get to the place I needed to be. Sadly the only thing that Fort Lewis does not provide is a fraternity or sorority college experience. Other then that Fort Lewis is a great school that provides many opportunities.Such as exchange student programs and a program in which you can learn to skydive.

Iyahna

Going to the Fort changed me in ways I never thought possible. My experience allowed me to interact more with the outdoors, meeting people from multiple backgrounds. The rural atmosphere, tight knit community, and beautiful scenery all made my time there nothing less than incredible. The professors are all professional educators willing to do whatever it takes to help their students. The only unfortunate thing about this school is the overbearing out of state costs some students from around the country just aren't able to afford.

Rebekah

Fort Leis College (FLC) is located in Durango Colorado. The campus is beautiful and the location is hard to beat. Nestled in the Rocky Mountains and only hours from beautiful desert terrain, there is always healthy fun to be had both in learning and recreating with your fellow peers.

Chamika

Overall I like the college, it's affordable for me and helps me get my basics done. My tuition as a Native American is free so I had to paid for fees, books and living expenses which is amazing. The environment and community is welcoming and engaging with the college students. Many events happen every week so students are very active and enjoy it. Also everything is close by, you can bike around or walk there's a downtown where there's restaurants and activities to do as well. I highly recommend coming here if you love everything just a mile or two distance or just to take your basics and transfer somewhere else.

Amy

Fort Lewis is a very inclusive

Carter

Fort Lewis College is a small school, on a beautiful campus. It is relatively inexpensive (but definitely not cheap!), but has a fantastic faculty and staff, due to the high desirability of the location, in Durango, CO. The class sizes are small, and it's easy to get to know classmates and professors. I'd give FLC an "A".