Francis Marion University Top Questions

Tamia

Advice I would give myself about college life is basically its the start of my future.Ive learned that as a college student, though you are taking vital steps toward doing something that you really want to do,even if you are not yet sure what that might be. It is so important to realize the possibilities and the choices in front of you. Instead of going from job to joband living an unfulfilledlife, you can, to a large extent determine your future and do what you love. Now nothing worth while is easy,as the old saying goes, and this certainly is true of college education. A successful college career requires years of hardwork , and you cant expect to be successful without devotion and sacrifice.

Malcolm

Well I didn't start college right away, in fact i waited an entire year to attend college after high school, and i took a total of two years off during my collegiate pursuits, however if i could go back in the past i'd give myself some invaluable advice. Firstly, do well in EVERY CLASS even though they're electives poor grades brings your gpa down. Secondly, aim to be productive and network and thirdly, NEVER take breaks one semester could turn into a year off. Remain consistent in your efforts to gain an education and ultimately you WILL succeed. Lastly don't attend multiple schools either grades don't always transfer even when admissions counselors promise you that they will.

Take some time, Justin. Pull away from your family, friends, church, and guidance counselor. Forget what everyone has told you. Do some soul searching and find out what occupation/career you want to have. Focus Justin. Focus on what you want to do for the rest of your life. Do something that will make you happy. I know you are nervous because you still do not know what you want in life and time is winding up. You love helping people and there are many occupations where you can do that. Just pick one. But whatever it is, make sure that you do it to your full ability and nothing less. I know you want to take care of mom and your little sister, so choose the way you want to do this. It won't be easy. You will have some positives and heavy, heavy negatives, but keep going. Step out on faith and continue to pursue that degree for your family. You've said that you never had dreams or aspirations, but you've said the only dream you have ever had was to take care of your family and have people know your name. Go for it

Dominique

That i should have picked up the habbit of studying more so that i would study more at school and not be so bored with it.

Teshia

I have asked my self this question so many times over and over agan. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are many things that I would do differently. Knowing what I know now about college life I would have done more research. I would have started a lot earlier than I did on my college plans. Honestly I picked Francis Marion because I had friends going here and thought it would be easier for me to make the transition better. I would have taken the time to actually see what college would give me the overall and ultimate college experience. Francis Marion is a great school and I do feel that it is the best school for me to get my nursing degree but the only thing it is lacking is the social life and allowing students to interact with others better. I have learned that it is better to plan ahead and don't be a procrastinator if you want to be happy and successful.

Johnathan

i would definitely tell mysef to be more focused on what i wanted to take and to be smarter about what classes i took. I wasted a lot of time taking classes i didn't really need and that ended up being a waste of time and money. Also i would let myself know to stay focused and to definitely stop procastinating as much. If its one thing iv learned about college life its that highschool on down was trying to prepare us for it. You get told to study in highschool but in college its completely up to you to keep going with the skills you (should have) learned coming through grade school. Lastly i would tell myself to get involved in all the student activities b/c that helps to enrich the experience overall and make it a little less...Grueling

Ellen

Thinking back on things I can not change, but wish I could ; I would change my attention span. I would listen but I wouldn't take it in. Sitting in my college classes now, I'm hearing some of the same things that were taught in highschool. The start of college is somewhat a repeat of being a senior. I would tell myself to stop and listen. I was also the type that caught on fast and didn't think being in class ALL the time really mattered. But I found out that in college its totally different. Not only is staying in class important, but being on time is too. Therefore, I would tell myself to have a sense of time-management. In highschool at times I might of got help from a friend on a quiz or test. In college it's challenging to cheat or get help when you aren't suppose to. Being that I'm in college now, I would tell myself when I was in highschool to gain better studying habits and don't wait til the last minute. I wish this was instilled in me during highschool for the transition to college.

Shakerra

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say a number of things. I would start off by saying "make sure you at least take 2-3 hours out of your day to study for all of your classes, it will help you on those test you got coming up." Also, "Instead of using those Friday nights to go to the football game or to the mall with your friends how about using that time to study." When sitting in the classroom for 90 minutes I would have told myself, "How about you start asking more questions in class and participate a little more instead of sitting back listening to what others have to say." Another thing that would be said is. "Shakerra, it would be a great idea to start applying for scholarships as soon as possible instead of sitting in your room watching tv all day." Another piece of advice I would have gave to myself is that I should go to my guidance counselor a little more to ask more questions about transitioning from a high school senior to a college freshman, things you should know.

Delila

"Congratulations! You have made it to your final year in high school. In a short time, you will be starting your future as a college student. Keep your head held high, and remember to always try your best, despite how others may make you feel. Do not slack off. Make sure you keep up with your studies; do not fall behind. The work load may seem overwhelming, but study hard and you will surely go the extra mile. Remember, you can do anything you put your mind to. If you want something bad enough, and work hard, you will be sure to acquire what you deserve. When it comes to applying for colleges, do not stress! I know how you sometimes let your emotions get the best of you, but just relax. Breathe and take a break if you have to. College is not as scary as it is made out to be. Its an extension of high school and is the journey to your future. Just another, more important chapter in your book. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask questions. Teachers and professors and there to aid you. Don't worry and best of luck!"

JANE

1990, ten years before the turn of the next millennium, seems to me to be just a few years in the past. However, it has been over twenty-two years. If I could return to my senior year in high school what would I do differently? That is a question everyone asks at some point in their lives. It is especially difficult for me now knowing that I did complete my college degree but am now wishing to return to school. I do not regret the path my life has taken. I now have a wonderful husband and two daughters. My career choices, however, were made based upon what seemed to be easiest for me at the time. I excelled in my science classes without much effort. If I could go back to the previous era of my life, I think I would not be afraid to try for things which seemed to be out of my grasp. I have found that much of life is about trying to move past what makes an individual uncomfortable. We cannot reach the next pinnacle of success without personal sacrifice. In 1990 I would and should have been more adventurous and less timid.

I would tell myself to earn the best grades I could, because grades are money in college. I would tell myself not to be shy and be outgoing and don't be afraid or scared, College is an awesome experience. Be prepared to not have any money and eat raymond noodles about a million different ways. It's a stressful time but it's worth it, keep your head up buddy.

Robyn

If I could go back in time, I would say college was the best years of my life. Take the time to enjoy it, and don't rush it. Dating is overrated. You'll meet the right person, so make good choices and have fun!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to not be in such a rush to move into college. I would tell myself to enjoy the last few months of being a kid. I would also tell myself not to stress to much about school and people but also to stick with the school work and not to slack off. I would tell myself to go out and meet the amazing variety of people living on campus and not to worry so much about making eternal friends, but just to enjoy another persons company while they're there. I would let myself know to apply for more scholarships. and finally I would tell myself that college is hard but growing up into the person I will be with be worth every second.

Colie

If I could go back in time and know what I know now about college life, I would certainly have studied a little harder. I did not put much effort into my first three years of high school and in my senior year I decided to try harder. That proved to be the answer because I made all A's on my report card. I only wished that I had applied myself all four years of high school. I am now determined to give everything to my studies and have a career in nursing.

lakeisha

I would tell myself to do my work, apply myself more and study hard because it's not as easy as we think it is when we are out in the real world on our own with no one to really tell us what to do. College is what you make it and you will not get anywhere if you dont study and do your work like you're suppose to.

The first advice I would tell myself is don't use blue marker on your face for your smurfette costume!! It will take a week to come off!! Besides that, this is going to be the most fun you will ever have. But don't let that get you in trouble when it comes to classes and grades. You pulled one to many one -nighters to get papers written. Know what you want to do with your life. Don't waste time getting a degree you won't use so you have to go back to college when your in your thirties. Don't rush life!!

Kacithia

Have you decided what you wanted to do after school? There are many opportunites available to young students like yourself. Marketing is a great field of study. College will definitely help you prepare for a career in marketing. The advice I would give to you is research the school that would best fit you. First, decide how far you want to be away from home. Be honest with yourself; I know you are excited about moving away from home but you need to think realistically. When I made the decision to attend Francis Marion University, Florence, SC. I knew that I did not want to be close to home or far away. Francis Marion was about a 2 hour drive - perfect. Next you want to look at the Business (Marketing) programs of those schools. Its important that you look at the size of the school and class size. Make sure you get the best education. Of course, college is not all about hitting the books. Make sure the school offers activities that you are interest you and organzations that you can join. Life, Learning and Fun will make you a successful college student and perpare you for a great future.

Jaccia

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to stay focused on my school work. I would tell myself to remember why I came to school and never to forget it. I would tell myself that when you lose your scholarships, it is very very hard to get them back. Know that you are a very smart young lady and college is nothing but another chapter in your life that you can complete if you do the right thing. Having to get out student loans just to cover your college expenses is not a good feeling and it's something that you never want to have to go through. Lastly I would tell myself that you can be anything that you want to be and more, just as long as you believe in yourself and keep hope alive.

kelly

If I could go back to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to study harder because I could do better. I was capable of more than I was producing in school. I went to a private college-prep high school that had a higher GPA. Because of this I believe it shot down my confidence. I was a strong B- student in high school surrounded by students that were going to Stanford and Cal. Although, though my life experiences, and my volunteer work; I have developed a love of helping people and animals that I didn't have back then. I am a volunteer EMT and K9 handler for search-and-rescue agencies throughout CA and mutual aid all counties, states and countries in need. If I saw myself as a high school senior I would tell her all the various accomplishments she made including going back to school to become a Registered Nurse (RN) while raising 2 beautiful children with the support of her family. I would tell that high school senior of myself that with hard work and a supportive family....there isn't much you can't accomplish!

Philip

After graduating from highschool, the last thing I wanted to do was continue school. However, it didn't take me long to realise just how necessary a college education is becoming. College is not just about what you learn in the classrooms, though that is very important, it is about the experiences gained and the people you meet. I would encourage students to look for opportunities in the way of internships, department projects, and travel abroad programs. Diverse experiences not only make you a more attractive job candidate, but they make you a more rounded individual. Employers look for experience, but how can you have experience without being given a chance to prove what you can do? In college time is a precious thing, but what little time you can spare might be well spent volunteering time in an area related to your field in order to get your foot in the door. College is a trade-off. You are giving up time that you could be spending having fun with friends. However, the benefits do outweigh the costs. Having a college education shows that you are willing to make sacrifices and work hard for what you get.

I would tell myself enjoy the journey and take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way. And when the hard times come, take a step back and focus on the end goal. And when things go your way be grateful to those that help you get there and always, always remeber them.

Latoya

To stay foucus and not allow anything or anyone to distract you from your goal.

If I could go back and give myself advice as a high school senior, I would tell myself to truly choose the college that was best for me. I made the mistake of picking my first university for the wrong reasons; as a result I ending up transferring after my first year. I did not choose the first university I attended because it was a strong academic institution, I could see myself happy there for four years, or because I liked what the college stood for. I chose it because it was close to home and I was scared to make one of the toughest decisions in my life, which was to select a college that was out of state away from family . I am fortunate to have now found what I consider to be the institution for me here at Francis Marion University.

Aften

As a new college student the most important thing is to be organized. College is not as structured as high school and most of the work is done outside of class. When you are only in the classroom a few hours a day, remaining time is study time. This new concept that you are not in school for seven to eight hours a day is difficult to get used to and requires much focus. Setting certain times to work on assignments is very crucial to academic success. Usually you know several weeks ahead of time when an assignment is due; procrastinating is never a good idea and usually does not result in your best work. The best way to succeed on test and assignments is to work on it a little bit each day. Also most general education classes require a lot of reading possibly one to two chapters a week per class. This can be very time consuming and often unentertaining to the reader. I would suggest taking notes as you read so you can look back at them and also, to read for only one or two hours at a time to keep from getting overwhelmed and frustrated.

SARA

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would let myself know that there are other ways to enter college. Rather than focus all my hopes on one or two schools, I would look at 2-year schools with transfer options to 4-year schools. The cost of a 2-year school is much less daunting than that of a 4-year school, and many 2-year schools offer great networking opportunities and chances to grow as a college student in a 'safe' environment, rather than be thrust into a busy 4-year school's campus. A 4-year college campus would be overwhelming for my high school senior self, and a 2-year school's low-key feel would be a great transitional tool to complete my college career.

jamie

the adive that i would give myself woudl be to get more involved with my high school. i think the more you become familiar with your high school and the peers around you it essential makes you a better student. overall, i would say my failure to communicate with others was a set back, but my I am strongly motivated now to be more involved with the 4 year college that i will attend in the future.

The advice I would give myself is to search more than one college. I would have an open mind and search many colleges that offer my major. I wouldn't choose a college that all my friends are attending to follow the crowd , yet i would venture out to see what college is best for me. I would participate in more community service activities and volunteer in my career interest field to see if that is what I actually want to do. If I could go back, I would have someone that is already enrolled in college to guide me in the direction that i need to go in to have a successful college life. Any opportunity that I had to visit a college campus, I would take that opportunity to get a feel of what that college life could possibly be like. I would do many thing different so that my college experience would be a little less complicated.

I would tell myself to learn good study habits. Even though high school seems easy and you don't think developing study habits is important, college is a completely different world. Your study habits are key to being successful in college. Also, learn how to manage your money and focus on what is important and not what you are going to do that weekend.

I really appreciate the small setting that Francis Marion offers. I feel that the smaller the classes the better education we students receive because it is easier and more likely that we will get one-on-one help from our teachers.

It is valuable to attend because it is a new learning experience for me.

College gave me the knowledge I needed to show me what I want to do with the rest of my life. Because of what I learned in college I am the first person in my family that is going to Graduate School and becoming a Professor at a college one day.

Freddie

So far my college experience has been a great wake up call for me. Coming into college I had an outlook on college believing that it was going to be as easy as highschool. Boy was I wrong. Thank goodness, my professors were stern and honest and they let the whole class know that we were no longer children and that they only deal with adults. As time progressed I realized why I needed to be here. What I am recieving in college will stay with me for the rest of my life. When I got that realization thats when my education became of such value to me, priceless value. Now I hold my education close to my heart and I do not take it for granted. Even though my college experience will allow me to make a good living, I cannot shun away another very important consequence of a college experience. That is, knowledge is only the key to success, experience (college, life, field) is what unlocks the door of success. Thank You college experience!

Vera

My overall experience at Francis Marion University thus far has been great. As an Education major, I have learned a lot of valuable material that will follow me in my career path for the future. The professors here work with their students well and as a college student; I also value their dedication and hard work. Professors here are willing to go out of their ways to help students that are willing to ask questions and use their free time to seek help. Not only to mention the professors here on campus, but the campus itself is awesome. With my college experiences and the valuable time spent this thus far, I plan on taking the knowledge I learned from my classes as well as the assurance that I will be able to contact all my wonderful and helpful professors if I ever need anything in the future.

My college experience thus far has been an invaluable opportunity for me to learn and grow as a person and student. The knowledge I am learning through my coursework is setting a solid foundation for my education and work ethic that I will be able to use later in life. Because I attend a liberal arts univeristy, I have taken a variety of classes from art and music, to physics and genetics. Attending Francis Marion Univeristy has enabled me to become a well rounded student and become educated in various fields. I am so thankful to have been able to get the financial aid necesseary to attend this university. Without financial aid, I would not have been able to go to Francis Marion, or any other college. I will only be the second person in my family to graduate from college and I could not be more proud of myself, and I am so happy to make my family proud. My college experience has geared my focus and career goals, and I am now one step closer to achieving my goal of becoming a doctor.

Kerrie

I have made many friends in this town, and I did not think I would. I have experienced new perspectives on my future career through two different majors, and while there may be many professors that don't care, I have had the chance to meet several that do. Those professors and the people I have had the chance to come into contact with, both in my area of interest and otherwise, have helped me a great deal.

Travis

Well first off I'd like to start out by saying I didn't go straight into college after high school. I worked as a Commercial Electrician for the last nine years. When the job market started going down a lot of electricians lost jobs. My goal has always been to design electrical blueprints, but never knew where to start. One of the most valuable things i have gotten is the knowlage of how to uses drafting tools to design prints. Since taking my first class I draw prints for houses ill never see built. I take blank prints off the internet and design what i think the electrical system should be like. I am learning more everyday and look forward to the day when I have all the skills I need to draw these prints to standard.

william

I've learned that college can be so rewarding.

Jeanelro

I am getting alot out of my college experience. Its such a transition from high school. There seems to be more help in college, at least to me. In high school my teachers were in such a rush to make us get the work . So it never really got explained that well, we only had time to learn the work one way. But in college I'm getting a chance to learn in various ways so the lessons are sticking much better.

Lissa

So far my experience in college has been great. I feel a little overwhelmed sometimes because I am attending full time, and it is a lot of work, but I am enjoying it. I believe it is and has been valuable attending college not only to get my degree but also for myself. I feel good about myself. Like I am actually doing something and I am good at it, and when I am done I will be able to help people. I am looking forward to that. I am attending school at Columbus State Community College and I am in the MHCR-chemical dependency track to get my Associates. I plan to continue on to get my Bachelor's in Social Work. I love to help peole, this is like a calling for me.

Gary

I have learned some helpful studying practices. Before I went to FMU, I really didn't know how to really study but through the professors encouraging studying with groups in our classroom setting, I've grown tremendously. I started a study group with some of my colleagues, which all of us major in different areas of the business field, and through our study sessions, I was able to earn a B in Accouting and an A in Economics. I have also learned to balance my time there so I wouldn't be stressed out but still get what I needed to get done.

Quanisha

There are many things that one learns within the course of a year. Within my year at Francis Marion University I have learned a lot. One of the most important things that I have gotten out of my college experience is that no one is going to remind you to finish your assignments. In high school your teacher may mention it up until the day before it is due, but in college. I also learned that you can not wait until the day before to do an assignment. It is a must that you study. If you don't have an exam until the next month it is still important that you study. Studying is the key. While in college I learned that you must choose your friends wisely. Some may only want to party, others may only want to study, some may want to do both, and some don't want to see you succeed over them. There is a saying friends come and go but true friends last a lifetime. I have found that to be true. It has been valuable for me to attend because I would have never gotten this experience sitting at home.

Quanisha

When you first leave home you realize that there is no more mommy or daddy around to check on you or make sure that you have completed all of your assignments for the upcoming day. When I got to Francis Marion University and started classes it was kind of hard for me to adjust because

So far, my college experience has been great. I choose to go to a community college due to the small class sizes and the fact that is close to home. My classes are small so getting help for the instructor is easy and how the teachers teach is easy to follow. I also meet with my advisor three times a semester to talk about how my classes are going and make sure I am following my academic plan. I enjoy learning and reviewing information through my classes. It has been valuable for me to attend college because I want to get my degree to get a good job so I can support my family.

tabitha

I've learned that you can't really make it in college by yourself. You have to talk to people. YOu can't shut yourself out from everyone , thinking you will do fine, because you won't Some may but it's diffucult to make it without friends or people to talk to. Before attending this school, they will tell you to make friends, and to meet people, because you will be able to get by much easier with less stress maybe if you find people to be involved with.

La'Damien

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the main thing that I would make my soul duty to inform myself of is to take advantage of all the help that is availible to me on campus. The main difference is that there will be no one trying to ensure that i turn in assignments on time or even trying to help me with work. I will be responsible for seeking out the aid of others, be they teachers, students, members of the writing center or math lab available to me on campus. Deadlines are not compromising and very rarely will be extended. Don't be afraid to ask questions because there is no guarantee that someone will have the same questions that I may have. Become familiar with teachers and their office hours since they will be my main source of information protaining to the class. Above all else, do not assume that because high school was easy that college will be as well, its not.

As a high school senior I would tell myself to learn to relax more and develop better study habits to retain information for long periods of time. I would also say to pace myself and try not to take on too many tasks at once. This will only create stress and make college harder and less enjoyable. I would also tell myself to befriend others that are going to the same school so we can develop a support system and study groups. College can get lonely when you don't know anyone so I would need to make many friends just to make more memories of my college years. One of the more important things I would say to myself would be to learn to read at a faster pace since the readings in college have thicker chapters and smaller words. Since colleges are full of students with different backgrounds, I would tell myself to be open. The professors are there to help but they can only help if I let them know I need it. One of the last things I would say is to go to the different functions to have fun and enjoy being a college student.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself that college life is not what high school teachers made it seem to be. The work is hard and requires a lot of time. You must be devoted to your work and not get side tracked. Also, eventhough they say you do not have to have your major decided by the time you go to college , you should already know what you want to pursue because if not as a freshman you will have taken classes you do not need and therefore wasted a whole year of your college life.

Demetria

Well i would tell my self to get ready to study, study,and study some more. School is not a brezzyway, it is not something handed to you on a silver plater. You have to work for the degree you want. To enjoy your time you have in college and because once I leave college thats when the real work starts.

tashana

I advice myself to go ahead and began to focue my mind during the summer so when the school term start i'll be ready to buckle down and start working. I would also advice myself to only worry about education and nothing else because education is the only important and valuable thing i need at this point in life inorder to reach my goal and succeed.

If I could go back in time I would have really started to make the right decisions for college then , and not just when I became a senior. I would have started in the nineth grade by getting ideas on exactly what I wanted to do when I graduated. I would have started taking the classes that would have prepared me for the degree that I wanted to receive from the college. I would have not only focused on my education but also on sports and clubs during my senior year, because a lot of scholarships looks at those things. I would have also taking the information that was being expressed by the teachers on using your time wisely, because now the teachers expects you to complete the assignment at the time indicated. I would have taking the advance classes that they would have offered instead on just taking the basic classes. But the one thing that I would have done differently is I would have tried to help more by working during high school, because it is not easy trying to provide the financial assistance for me to attend my college.