Steubenville, OH
Franciscan University of Steubenville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Franciscan University of Steubenville

John

I would tell myself to take my studies more seriously. Many people consider a lot of what they learn in school to be a waste of time. They wonder what practical use it will have once they graduate. I would try to persuade myself that the main purpose of an education is not simply to get a job but to become a better person, to be able to understand myself and my surroundings, the reality which I live in in a more clear way so that I can know how to act properly and live a good and virtuous life. A proper education is one that teaches us how to be human. Sadly most students are expected to know how to perform in the work place as soon as they graduate so universities have become the place where you learn a job instead of the place where you recieve a rounded education and learn what it means to be human and lead a good human life, both individually and within society. I would tell myself to not just go to school to get a job but to become educated, to learn how to think and act properly in society.

Because it is a fairly small school and very focused on academics it is lacking in sports. I have known of people who wanted to go to the school but were dissapointed to find that they would not be able to continue competing in their sports at a higher level if they decided to attend this school.

A person who has a desire to live out their Christian faith on a daily basis, surrounded by a community that all share the same desire. This faith should be a faith that seeks understanding, one which is not oppossed to reason but uses reason to understand what faith believes. This person should be open to all truth, because the truth God reveals and is accepted in faith is not contrary to the truth known through the physical, natural, and social sciences.

Kristen

Firstly it is 100% catholic. Secondly, like mentioned above everyone is just super nice and always has a big ole smile on their faces. Thirdly, the boys at this school are the nicest I have ever met. Lastly, as opposed to other schools where you have counselors and then you have teachers at this school your teachers are the counselors and hence give more efficient academic advice.

If I were to go back to highschool and give myself some advice I would start by telling myself to never underestimate highschool grades and standardized tests. Although I did not do terribly on them, higher scores would have made funding my education a great deal simpler. Next I would strongly encourage myself that if I was graduating from highschool early and did not know what major to pursue then go to a community college. There you can save time and money. Lastly I would tell myself to learn to manage my time efficiently. When I was in highschool I was very busy hence when I got to college and had "freetime" I went a little crazy. In addition boys should only be persude if and when time allows. I would most certainly warn myself that they take up a lot of time and when they don't work out it will make you feel like you have wasted your time, since that time could have been spent studying for a test. In the end I would say ultimatly have fun with college but be smart with the decisions you make.

I tell everyone how nice everyone at the school is. I also tend to brag about how all the boys at the school will open the doors for you, and some even smack your fingers and get very upset if you don't let them, they will carry your dishes, and carry your books. I also brag about how curtious people are and how you can leave your laundry detergent in the laundry room and no one ever takes it.

Martina

The great charismatic sense of the faith. Its a Catholic school, and unlike the school I attended last year which claimed to be Catholic, Franciscan truly lives up to its reputation for being one of the best Catholic schools out there. At most school the focus is on onesself and getting ahead in life professionally. At Franciscan there is a great sense of community. People care about others and that they not only achieve their goals academically but spiritually. Someone is always willing to lend a helping hand or offer a prayer.

I get into my Delorean (for what better way is there to travel back in time) and I punch in the numbers, 09/2005, and I'm off. Its the beginning of my junior year. I put a smile on my face and walk to my first class. As I peer through the doors glass pannels, it is like looking through the all seeing mirror. I see myself sitting in the second to last chair, my teacher loved the orderly manner of the alphabetical seating chart. I wait for my 16 year old self out in the hallway anticipating what I will say. The bells rings, such a familiar sound. I was the first one out of class, I chuckle to myself knowing that there is where the problem began. I begin talking to my 16 year old self. Stubborn as I was then I listened to the wiser me. Hearing that life isnt a walk in the park, it is difficult and bad things and hard times happen to good people. Never take anything for granted especially your education. Because when difficult times happen those grades you will be your saving grace and you will truly reap the benefits.

As cliches as this sounds I honestly cant think of a "worst" thing about my school. If I have to get picky about it I guess I would have to say the price of tuition. What is leading me to apply for this scholarship. The school offers so many great things for any young Catholic, and even non believers, that it is a true shame that a student would have to decline attendance based on financial inability to pay.

Dear Jessi, Senior year's been rough and exciting all at the same time, I know, but you have so much ahead of you. The stress of finals and senior papers is catching up, but believe me, you'll need those skills at Franciscan. Don't give up. You'll study more than you ever thought you could, but you'll also be having the time of your life. During this year, don't forget about applying for every scholarship you can, even if you don't want to write the essay for it, or feel like you don't have time to get it done, do it! I know the parents and the counselors are talking to you about taking out the loans and being in debt for the rest of your life, and it's easy to shrug off, but you're going to meet the love of your life, and debt is going to get in the way. You'll also meet wonderful friends, and some that aren't so wonderful...remember, you have a BEAUTIFUL heart. Be yourself, love yourself and let yourself be loved, and true friends will come. Love, Jessi

The worst thing about Franciscan is the lack of ability to grow up. There are so many rules, understandably put in place to protect students, however, there is no room to mess up and learn and grow on your own. there's no room to make your own decisions as an adult and learn from them, right or wrong.

Some one who is passionately Catholic and looking for this type of environment. The academics are challenging and the professors are well learned in their subjects. The average student is a cradle Catholic who desires to live the fullest they can in the Faith. There is a high focus on mission trips, community service and involvment with spiritual social groups on campus. Most of the students are fans of praise and worship music and enjoy playing the guitar or singing along.

Rebekah

I would probably tell myself not to worry. Looking back, I realize that my high school experience prepared me pretty well for college. The only thing that I might regret about back then is a lack of planning. If I could talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would remind myself to think about what comes after college. I love my maor, but my plans for afer graduation have never been very concrete. I wish I had planned better for real life. If I had it to do all over again, I would plan better.

If you have problems with Catholicism, then you probably shouldn't go here.

When I studyed abroad last year, I had a hard time getting the administration to help me. The people in the offices are very friendly, but sometimes the paperwork can be inefficient.

Kristina

Franciscan University is a small but personable community with a focus on an individualistic learning style.

Leave room in your plans for deviation. There will be times when you may want to try a different major or take an easier class. Do not think that you will be able to plan out all four years of school and classes or even be happy or satisfied with your plans. Take the general education and required courses first; you will need them and they will be the best courses to transfer, be it to another major or another school. Be sure that what you take from college is what you want from college; it sticks with you for the rest of your life and affects your future.

Franciscan University has a tendency to cater to freshman and other new students by not always offering upper level classes to meet the graduation requirements of some majors.

Galen

Start early! Research! Ask yourself if this college really has what YOU want and, if so, go for it regardless of what others say. Start looking into financial aid opportunities immediately because the money you've been saving over these last few years will be gone before you know it. Once you find the right place, get involved. Make new friends because you're gonna have to live with these people for the next four years. Keep in touch with your best friends from home, but be open to meeting the new best friends that will keep you sane. Volunteer on campus and in the community. Sure, it looks good on a resume, but don't be completely selfish. Get involved with extra-curricular activites. They're a great break from studies, you'll meet a lot of new people, they look good on a resume too! Don't forget to hit the books now and then. Studies are important, but what good will it do if you work yourself to death in the end? Keep up your grades by studying with friends, talking with professors, and remembering to RELAX now and then.

Although the university, almost all the students, and most of the faculty are Catholic, anyone will feel welcome from the minute the set foot on campus. Everyone should attend this school!

The awesome community among students. It feels like a family! There's always something to do and ways to safely have fun.

Reed

Take and retake the SAT until you have the best score.

Take and retake the SAT until you have the best score.

Franciscan University spells FU so we have to say "of Steubenville" FUS.

Brianna

If I could go back in time, I would tell my anxious, nervous high school self that there is nothing to fear about going off to college. That if I go to Franciscan University with the mindset of conquering all of the challenges that come my way, and do not give in to the social pressures to drink, have sex, and use drugs, I will be able to easily stay afloat. I would tell the homeschooled senior that I was that there really is not a big difference between being home schooled and going to college, and that I still have to motivate myself to study, because I cannot depend on my teachers to baby me like in highschool. Most of all, I would tell myself to enjoy the next four years, because they will certainly be the best of my life.

Elisabeth

Franciscan University is academically challenging and passionately Catholic.

Franciscan University is academically challenging and passionately Catholic.

Franciscan University is best known for its challenging academics, its passionate Catholic faith, and its number of graduates that enter the workforce.

The best advice I could give is to carefully consider where you're going and what kind of life you want to live in college. Don't choose a college with a reputation of a student lifestyle completely contrary to your own, but one that you feel you will fit in with. Remember that college is your choice and will affect the way you enter your adult life, don't allow the influence of others to sway you from what you feel will be best for your success entering the adult world.

Franciscan University of Steubenville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.