Franciscan University of Steubenville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Franciscan University of Steubenville

Veronica

I love Franciscan University! I think that it is a great opportunity and investment for anyone who would like to attend here. You will meet solid people, solid faith and a lot opportunities!I've visited Franciscan University multiple times and every time I've gone I've wanted to immerse myself in the University.

Franciscan University has a fantastic environment. The students, faculty, and staff are all friendly and welcoming. We treat each other like family and have high respect for human dignity. While the city of Steubenville may be unsafe at times, campus is actually very safe at all times of the day. We also have a fantastic study abroad program at our campus in Austria.

Briana

Choosing Franciscan University has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life thus far. I have been challenged academically, spiritually, and physically in ways that have made me grow more than I thought possible in just two years. The student to faculty ratio is amazing, and almost all of the professors I have had at this university are incredibly intelligent and care about helping their students succeed. The only downfall to the university is that many of the dorms are small and without AC, and also there aren't many options in the cafeteria, compared to many universities that I've seen. Otherwise, I have loved my time at Franciscan and don't regret my decision one bit.

I am SO excited to be an incoming freshmen. My faith is the center of my life and that is how I can explain my experience of Franciscan. God is the purpose that this school exists and I am so excited to be a part of a community where people have the same values as me

Sydney

Very welcoming inviting facility alive with their Catholic spirit. The professors are alive in Catholic spirit and always welcoming to talk to. The students promote their Catholic faith, and help you develop yours. The students aren't afraid to stand up for their faith and what they believe in.

Caroline

I LOVE FRANCISCAN AND THE COMMUNITY THERE. They seek the students first and everything is done for the glory of God the Father!

sean

The campus itself is a small and enjoyable one, every one that i have met here is kind and offers a smile at the least. The class sizes are generally small which is nice because that means you get to know your professors and they are always open to discuss anything you don't understand. overall i would rate this a wonderful institution and recommend it to anyone.

Mary

Franciscan University of Steubenville is a one of a kind school. Although the University is centered on the Catholic faith--it is welcoming to all people. At the same time it is a like a close knit family and a safe place to express my faith. The class sizes are small and the professors do well at explaining concepts and being available to help when needed. There are a vast variety of activities from dancing to music to anime to many other unusual special clubs. There are also many sports as well. The dorms are always clean, welcoming, and the University supplies students with furniture. The food is phenomenal! The food is made fresh and their are several vegetarian and vegan options. There is an all you can eat Cafeteria. The University also has other options of food such as an on campus cafe and a pub that serves burgers mac and cheese, and more. Finally, there is lots of fun for the family. There are several cinemas, white water rafting, stores, historical, and other fun sites to see for visitors and or families of students.

Evicka

Franciscan University is a great school in regards to academics and religion. As their motto states, "Academically Excellent, Passionately Catholic." The relationship between the faculty and students provides a opportunistic learning environment. Extracurricular activities serve to provide organizations, clubs, and teams for everyone's interest. The students are always thriving whether it is in improving their academics, creating lifelong friends, growing closer to God, or making a difference in the world.

D

If you love the traditions of the Church, this is not the place for you. Many of the theologians that they teach from were banned for being humanistic and liberal under the reign of Pius XII. Their Pentecostal "Charismatic Movement" events are not very Catholic either. I am glad they uphold life and are anti-LGBT movement, but their theology is off. They are huge on the Second Vatican Council and quote Vatican II all the time, but their Masses are not even in line with that Council's documents. If you love tradition and you love the Holy Faith, do not come here, unless you plan on changing the culture here.

David

One of the best universities in the country. Sound Catholic teaching, good student environment, and gifted instructors. I am only an online graduate student, but I love the school.

Andrea

Amazing academics; classes are very rigorous and demanding. Beautiful campus but is smells like the coke plant that is down river. Freshman can't have cars, but it is easy to make friends with cars. You can walk around campus at all hours of the day and feel completely safe, but if you venture into Steubenville be wary. Only go here if you are intensely Catholic, otherwise it can be suffocating.

Katie

There is an abundance of life on this campus--From spiritual, to academics, to fellowship. This school strives to empower students to make a change and stand up for what they believe, while also teaching acceptance and love. Franciscan University encourages dreams and helps pave the path for a successful career life for all students. It presents students with many opportunities to get involved on and off campus through the help of student life and missionary outreach. Not only this, but their spiritual households, much like fraternities, promote fellowship among students which in turn challenges students to grow as adults by way of community and campus service. The academics side of the University lives up to its reputation as being more challenging than most. No matter what major you are in you will be challenged to think outside the box and problem-solve on a deeper level. With the incorporation of Christian theology and philosophy, students are asked to expand their understanding of the world in every aspect to see the bigger picture that God has for everything. The University and its professors are not satisfied with tunnel vision views when it comes to important world issues, and require students to be open-minded when reviewing topics and ideas present by the diversity of students. The professors do not rely completely on test taking and exams; they want you to express understanding through the use your own voice. In a world that relies heavily on standardized, un-individualized testing to check comprehension, this school will definitely provoke some serious brain development. Among the professors are those religious men and women who are the foundation and backbone of this University. From priests and friars to nuns, these people not only teach some of the theology and philosophy classes, they also attend classes. They are students like us who participate in the same academic and student life events as we do; they go to class, they attend dances, they workout at the gym. But on top of all this they go out of their way to help others. They will sit down with you and just talk with you to see how you’re doing. They’ll let you vent your frustrations to them or let you ask questions about life in general. They challenge you to grow spiritually just as the professors challenge you to grow academically. But the best part about it all is that you can always, always, count on them to be smiling. The student life on campus is invigorating. While small in size, the two-thousand plus students on campus are all there for a purpose, and all have personal stories of how they got to where they are. Each story is different, yet there is always one similar goal in mind—to follow in the footsteps of Christ and grow in love. The beautiful thing about this is that the diversity of stories reflects the diversity of students. Not only does Franciscan University have students from out of state, there are many who have traveled from other parts of the world following the call to a deeper life in Christ. It’s not often that you come across a University that actually calls out to future students. There is a certain element about it as a whole that draws students to it in a unique way; you definitely feel that unique connection as soon as you arrive.

As an incoming freshman at Franciscan, I have to say that the atmosphere is one that I have never come across before. There is a sense of welcome hat encompasses the entire campus from the moment you step foot onto school grounds. I have encountered first hand the attentiveness of the professors and the care they truly provide for their small. yet brilliant classes. The amenities, although limited, are well cared for and are continuing to grow as the school grows. Although there is not much to do directly off campus, Pittsburg is not too far away and is the perfect place for a weekend adventure. Nothing can top the feeling one gets when on Franciscan's campus and I urge you all to experience the beauty first hand!

JohnPaul

Franciscan is a small quiet college. The list of available majors isn't terribly long, but it contains training for many rewarding fields. The student to teacher ratio is about 15:1, allowing for plenty of one on one time with professors. It is a nice clean campus with good people and education.

Monica

I love Franciscan. No University is perfect, but I am very happy to be here, and I know that I am growing and maturing as an individual. The campus itself is beautiful place to be the buildings and greenery are very calming. I am enjoying a variety of artistic opportunities and interests that I had expected to be a lot harder to participate in. I've been able to work in a live radio station, perform theatrical scenes for my classmates while earning college credit, and I get to pursue my career in music both in classes, as a Music Major, and in other events put on by the University. I believe I have found a place where I can throughly deepen my relationship with God and follow His Plan for me to thrive and enjoy the life and passions He gave me. I have been immersed in an environment where I can let my creativity free-- including writing my own music--and feel safe being who I am. I have been given the chance to heal the anxieties formed in my past and create a beautiful future for myself, especially through the caring counselors who are a part of our Health Center Staff. I am so glad that this is the place I get to live and receive an education.

Christina

I absolutely loved visiting! I cannot wait to enroll in the Fall 2019 semester. I am Catholic; however, I do not pray every chance I have. Franciscan has opportunities for students to pray whenever they want, but it is not required. Franciscan has a little bit of everything for everyone. People in the offices are very nice to talk to and always return calls and help out right away. The professors that I have met are also very nice.

I'm very proud and incredibly blessed to go to Franciscan. The community that I have been able to build here is unlike anything else that I have ever experienced. The professors are very good, and the great majority of them genuinely care about the success of their students. I cannot see myself at another school.

Cecelia

An amazing wonderful school! I'm so thankful I was able to transfer in!

Kyle

I like my school, primarily because its academics (at least in my branch of study) are strong, intellectually rigorous, and engaging. Professors are knowledgeable and generally accessible, with some exceptions (eg department heads, who are very hard to get help from). Since I think academics is the essence of college/university and so that should (in my opinion) be the essential criterion one uses to assess an institution of higher learning, I must say I don’t like my school’s administration. I find them to be generally apathetic to reports of student harassment and other disruptions among the student body. Rather than addressing student concerns, they have a tendency to skirt issues and side with defendants. I also find campus culture to be intellectually restricted (academics are not, but general culture is) and highly pretentious.

Lonni

Franciscan University of Steubenville has allowed me to meet a variety of people from all over the country. The religious life is far more 'pushed' than the academics, however, the academics are still challenging. As for extracurricular resources, there is a number of religious households to join and a great athletic facility to use. I am a commuter student, so I don't live on campus- therefore I can't tell you much about food. However- the pub and on campus coffee shop is pretty stellar! For dorms, once again I don't live there, but when I visit friends, they seem to be just like any other average dorm room!

Joseph

Franciscan University of Steubenville is one of the most prestigious Catholic schools in the country—and for good reason. In my opinion, the classes and professors are unmatched in their respective fields. The liberal arts classes are not only informative, they are life changing.

Nick

I think that the Franciscan University of Steubenville is a great place to learn and go to college. The students here are very friendly and bring about an atmosphere that is unprecedented at other colleges or universities. Everyone has one goal here: to better themselves, their neighbors, and their communities. They succeed overwhelmingly with this goal.

Franciscan University of Steubenville is, overall, a great school. We are a passionately catholic university, so we are the place to be for young Catholic seeking to grow in their faith. The food or some of the older dorms may not be the best, but the atmosphere and beauty of the campus up for it. It seemed natural to attend Franciscan after living in the Steubenville area for my whole life. I truly enjoyed my four years of undergraduate work in Computer Information Science. I look forward to continuing my education with Franciscan's Master of Business Administration as a part of their 4 plus 1 program.