Franklin and Marshall College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Franklin and Marshall College

F&M has a great sense of community. This is fostered by the college houses and the fact that students are assigned to these dorms based on a select topic they study together in a freshman seminar within the college house. The women's soccer team was amazing and the coach was supportive and invested in the success and happiness of the students. All of the students I met were interesting, hard working and I felt like I could find a lot of good friends at F&M. The class sizes are small which make the rigor of the academics very high. I've heard nothing but great things about F&M.

Overall the school can be welcoming, and there are a lot of solid relationships that can be formed while attending this school. If you choose to go outside of your comfort zone, there are opportunities to converse with people of many different backgrounds despite the school being a PWI (Predominantly white institution). Speaking on that as well, the school, unfortunately, doesn't do enough for its students of color, but I guess that's a work in progress. The academic rigor is extremely difficult, time management and surrounding yourself with supportive individuals becomes key to success. The food also isn't great, go ahead and treat yourself off campus, you'll need it.

Shira

F&M was the best four years of my life. I made so many friends and couldn't have picked a better school for me. Yes, the food often times stinks, but it is getting better. You don't have to pay to do your laundry on campus and the students are smart, interesting, and engaged in the world and the local community. Lancaster also has a whole host of opportunities for places to eat and things to do, with a local mall, tons of local shops, places to eat, and things to do. Greek life is decently active on campus, but there are always alternatives to Greek life.

Kevin

Franklin and Marshall College is quiet unique. It has everything you could ask for but it also has things that you wish it would have. It is great in academics and social life for those who know how to balance between the two, however if you chose to lean towards one of the two you will see that it could need an improvement. This improvement however is feasible to do due to the easy access to faculty and staff.

Julia

The music program here is incredible! The faculty are amazing in that department. A lot of people have problems with admin here, but in music, the faculty are great. The ensembles are of a good size and the people are lovely. The astronomy department faculty are very helpful as well. It is a growing program and there are plenty of research opportunities for majors.

Elisha

Franklin & Marshall College is a prestigious institution that caters to your dreams. There are a wide array of opportunities. I am grateful that this institution is need-based because without their generous aid, I wouldn't be able to attend an institution that will help me reach my dreams. All the professors here are brilliant and willing to expand the students' knowledge and passion. I'm honored to attend an institution that will bring out the 110% of my own personal best.

deborah

.....

Kathryn

Overall, I believe that the academic rigor, extracurricular opportunity, and party life are ideally what I was looking for during my college search. Students definitely prioritize academics over partying or other social activity at F&M, but students still have plenty of time to attend club meetings, field trips and parties. The nightlife on campus is definitely smaller compared to other schools because of our stricter rules regarding drinking and partying on campus ; every party is registered, and many parties get shut down pretty quickly by both F&M and city police. I value this about F&M because I feel much safer at parties on and off campus, and these rules allow students to value schoolwork. However, some areas of Lancaster city can be a bit crime-ridden, so I would recommend visiting during the day and bringing a friend. The campus is beautiful and I am always within a 10 minute walk from any class, which is very convenient. The college house system as supposed to a typical dormitory system is amazing; I have met almost everyone from my college house, and each house is beautiful on the inside. Also, each house is getting renovated, so new elevators and other amenities are going to be added. In conclusion, I love being a Diplomat, and if you enjoy academics, extracurriculars, and small class sizes, this college is definitely for you!

Jadeite

I'm so happy that I found a school like F&M. At first, I was really apprehensive, but now I'm glad that I have found a friend group that I love in a place that I enjoy being. For anyone that is interested I would really encourage coming to visit our campus!

Emma

F&M is an excellent school and is advertised as such. The large international student population is a unique aspect of the campus that I don't think receives the recognition that it should. While academically challenging, F&M provides numerous resources to help with every subject and to help students grow. It is a quintessential small size liberal arts school and provides the core aspects of a liberal arts education. The location of Franklin and Marshall provides the perfect location to explore a small city. Lancaster has a deep history and a vibrant and supportive community. F&M takes advantage of the many opportunities that Lancaster provides.

Abigail

Franklin & Marshall College is a truly amazing place. Because it's a liberal arts college, students are able and encouraged to explore classes outside their field of study. The social scene at F&M is also ideal. While F&M does have Greek life, it is very far from the stereotypical reputation usually associated with it. Campus is a safe, fun place where students are able to pursue their interests both in and outside the classroom. Faculty are approachable and make plenty of time to meet with students one on one, and class sizes are kept to an average of 20, allowing a student to get the most out of his or her class. Campus is also beautiful, located in Lancaster, PA and is a really nice place to live, whether on or off campus. The charm of the campus location lies in that downtown is only a short walk away, yet campus is still has an intimate small town feel. Incredibly happy to be here, wouldn't choose anywhere else.

Very good school (academically speaking). The professors are inspiring, interested in the success of their students (by and large). Cost of tuition is far too expensive though. Lancaster is actually quite a vibrant city and it is a shame the college doesn't do more to get students involved at the city level.

Liz

I had a wonderful experience at F&M. The professors are outstanding and accessible any time you need them (or just want to chat about their discipline). There is an intellectual culture on campus, and students are genuinely interested in what they're learning - I had many academic conversations outside of the classroom on all subjects imaginable. The small size makes it easy for students to get involved in lots of different activities and take on leadership roles or research opportunities. I received a generous financial aid package when I attended, and I know the school has done a great deal to increase the amount of need-based aid available, which is excellent. Loved my experience there and would definitely recommend.

Siliphone

Franklin and Marshall is a private liberal arts school located in Lancaster, PA. Students come all around the world to attend this school. Known for mostly their psychology, pre-med, and business, the school strives to challenge students to their max. The school is also known for their music program and is a huge supporter for the arts. They are also very flexible in catering to the student's needs. Food is also not bad.

Mikaela

It is a great school for academics and encourages you to be the best student possible by challenging you to exceed expectations. The professors are respected academics in their fields of study, so you know you are getting the best education. The community atmosphere is like a small town, where everyone looks out for each other.

Collette

Dean Colette Shaw has ruined this school. It is no longer fun because of her! She sucks!

Jillian

Franklin and Marshall is a fairly intense college, academically. Most kids are serious students first and are involved in athletics, Greek life, clubs and more second. Yet everyone seems to find activities they enjoy aside from academics and are able to strike a balance between the two.

Amy

I love F&M! It’s academically rigorous, professors are amazing and accessible, sports are well attended & there’s school spirit! I feel so lucky to be here. Students are friendly, warm, smart, together and party on weekends. Can’t say how happy I am I chose this school!