Franklin Pierce University Top Questions

I would tell myself to focus more on writing. In high school writing isn't as stressed as it should be. When you get to college basically every class you take entails writing papers.

If I could go back and give myself information that I previously didn't have, I would without a doubt tell myself that whenever a teacher tells you that your ability to manage time wisely is extremely important, they're one hundred percent correct. In college there is nothing more important than your ability to manage time between classes and homework. There is much more free time in college which is good if used correctly, but also extremely dangerous if used to take a nap instead of doing your homework or studying. Another piece of advice I would give myself would be in the senior year of high school, start to really pretend that you're living on your own by taking care of all of your own things and cleaning up after yourself. It's a small task but when there's nobody to help you out with all of your cleaning and laundry, it can be a daunting task.

Chantal

I would give my self a lot of advice! I had a hard time transiting into Freshman year of college. Possibly the reason could have been that I wasnt going to my first choice schools. But what I would tell myself is give FPU a chance. I did have a hard time adjusting but now I love it and would not make a different choice.

Upon first arriving at college, I'll admit I was a mess. If I could tell my high school self something to help make the transition is that it gets better. Making friends is a lot easier than it seems because everyone is as nervous as you are to be at college where you don't know anyone. Even if you don't like your roommate, it's easy enough to change and live with someone you do like. It is all a learning process and no matter how bad the first few days or even weeks seem, it becomes a great experience. College is where you make life long friends and take the classes that will lead you to a job you will love. Don't give up on your dreams just because you have a rough start. Push through those hard times because in the end, it will all be worth it.

The advice I would give myself is to stop sweating the small stuff and stop giving so many extra chances to the people who don't deserve it. I only just learned how much time I waste on others instead of just focusing on me. I think if my high school self could have known that I would have done even better than I did and high school and maybe been even more prepared for the huge changes that happened for me as I got to college. I could have been more focused on what really mattered and not the things that won't be in my future or in my life at all in ten years. I would have made sure my high school self knew that and that the me then focused on my future.

It all gets easier. All the pain and tears you went through and the fighting with mom and dad will pay off. By the time you graduate you will know where you will be going and your life will only continue to grow. When you step onto campus in July for STEP Day all your dreams will be coming through and it is just life all falling into place. You're gonna survive and make the most of what you get. Just hang in there.

Merceda

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot of advice to give myself. The main point that I would stress would be to visit to as many schools as possible. When I was a senior, I didn't visit as many schools as I could have. I would also have told myself to fill out as many college applications as possible, because the college you choose carves a path to your future. I would have told myself not to get too upset about being rejected by a school, or let that minor setback discourage me. Something very important to warn myself about would have been to not stop looking at schools just because I've already accepted, and that transfering freshman year was also a possibility. The last piece of advice I would have given, would have been to apply for as many scholarships as possible so that I could continue recieving them throughout my 4 years, that would have saved a lot of money in loans that have been taken out so far.

I would tell myself to not worry, and that things seem to work out if you do what you can and are willing to try hard. Things can always be better, but they can certainly be worse. As long as you can keep your eyes on the prize it will stay in reach.

dfitchik

Hey Dave: This is ghost of your college future talking..How are you doing? Listen, all those applications and eassys you are writing are almost finished..WHEW<

If icould go back and see myself in high school i would tell myself to save as much mney as i can because college drains your funds. I would also tell myself to keep in touch with the friendsyou had in highschool because when you come home on the breaks you have to have someone to hang out with. I would also tell myself not to get stressed over the little stuff. Also i would tell myself to use the library alot, they ae your friends not your enemies. And of corse the big one wouldbe to go to class!

I would tell myself that the only one holding me down is me and that I have a choice in what I do. I don't need to be bought off into trading my own freedom, and that passion can get you anywhere. So long I sat under the thumb of other people and their blackmailing into my staying put. I would tell myself that if I want to do it, no one can stop me, and no one can help me but me. Freedom to fail or to succeed should only always be mine. Whether I make a leap is up to myself. I would say that you can't ask for respect. You have to demand it through actions. Your parents cannot make your life, you have to make it. Don't admire people for the things you wish you did, join them. Get out of the shell and make your life about actions, not acceptance of the norm. Live in different cultures. Meet amazing peope. Be an amazing person. It won't happen if you never leave.

Tawni

Academics have never been a problem for me; I?ve always gotten good grades. When I was a high school senior getting ready to make the transition to college, my biggest fear was about the social aspect of school. Will I have any friends? Now that I?m going into my second semester of sophomore year, I realize I had nothing to worry about. I made friends immediately, and am still socially involved with the same group. I also have a boyfriend who?ll I have been with for a year in March. I am definitely very happy. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would say to relax and not worry at all about the people at school. I?d tell myself simply to be excited for the adventures to come.

Mackenzie

Let the student decide which school they want, and try to let them do it on their own. Parents sometimes force students to go to a school like they went to which might not be in their best interest. Join clubs and get involved with the school as quickly as you can, don't judge or not doing something because your afraid of change. College is a great learning experience which helps prepare students for life.

Finding the right college is really more than just looking at what majors are offered. The student needs to evaluate the population, size, entertainment, clubs/events of the college AND the town in order for the experience to be an enjoyable one. The worst thing to do is to pick a college because your friends are going there. You made new friends in High School, and you'll make more new friends in college. Professor/Student ratio was the major deciding factor for a lot of students in my school. We really get to know our professors and hang out with them outside of class. As a Resident Assistant in a freshman dorm, I dealt with many freshmen who were unsure of their decisions to come to my college. However, after the end of their first semester, they made friends and found a place for themselves. There are many students who come to college, think they don't like it and want to transfer. It is these students that often become the most involved with the university/college by the end of their time there. It's really an amazing transition to watch. Just remember, you can always transfer!

*

Go with your gut instinct when choosing a college.

You have to visit the campus and talk to the students to get a better insight to what the campus is like. You also have to know how far or close you want to be from home, and what kind of atmosphere you want either city, rural, suburban. Also take into consideration the weather.

Try to think hard about what you want to do and study, or at least get a vague idea. Then look for the schools that have the best programs and departments for what you want to study (including internships and career placement). Work as hard as you can during your last few years of high school, and do the best you can on the SATs. Apply to those schools you like the best judging on: their focus on the field you want to study, location, and other important aspects. Visit your top choice schools. Apply to some other ones just for safety

Visit the school and make sure you see it as a place where you can picture yourself living.

Teresa

I would advise students looking for "the right college" to spend a few days at a school, if possible. It's easy to say "I want a liberal arts college in a suburban setting with high racial diversity," but actually spending time in these (and other) types of environments can give you a keener sense of where you feel comfortable. I think a vital part of "making the most of the college experience" is pursuing a major that you enjoy, not studying a field just because it's supposed to earn you a lot of money. Pursuing a subject you really enjoy should, in theory, make you more motivated to do well in your classes because it's already interesting, plus, it should help you meet like minds, people who love the same thing. Clubs are also useful for meeting people; there's a huge gaming subculture at Franklin Pierce. I'd recommend going to club meetings at the start of the school year, as soon as you can; it can be awkward to just appear at a meeting at the tenth meeting of the year. Also, don't be afraid to transfer if you attend the "wrong school."

Chad

When it comes to choosing a college, one must take many things into consideration. For example, one of the most important issues is not only that a school offers the program you want, but that they have a good reputation in that given program. Also, one must take into account whether they would feel more comfortable at a large, fast-paced school or a smaller, slower-paced school. Then, one mus also take into consideration the amount of activities offered at that school; whether they are sports related, extra-curricular, or community service orientated. I would also strongly advise one to apply to any school that they have in mind, even if they think that school would be too expensive for them; the amount of financial aid and scholarships out there are numerous. Finally, I would definitely encourage a prospective student to visit the campus that they wish to attend; this played a key role in my decision making. Once a student begins their college career, one should be focused on two things. First, stay focused on your work, while giving yourself time to have fun and hang out as well. Finally, get involved on campus and within the community!

First I would take a look at your financial situation. Figure out what type of financial aid you will need, who will be taking loans out, if any at all. Look for as many scholarships and grants as possible. You want to find a college that suits you. I would advise students to take campus tours, maybe sit in on a lecture. You want to make sure not only the school fits you but the students, professors and area where you will be attending college. You need to check on housing also. If you want to live at home, on campus or if you need to rent off campus. Not all colleges have on campus housing or parking. Some colleges allow a sort of retreat for prospective students. You stay a nite or two with a student on campus to get a feel for the daily life. If you play sports you may want to meet the team and coaches. Most of all make sure the college staff is working for your best interest. You are investing alot of time, money and are looking to start your life career.