Freed-Hardeman University

« See more reviews of Freed-Hardeman University

College flies by faster than high school. It?s a wonder I?ve made it so far in these last few years. My advice would be: Enjoy the years to come. Everything you?re about to experience is new and exciting. There?s nothing to be afraid of. Get involved in activities, be outgoing but never lose your true self. You know what?s right and keep your eyes focused on God. He will take care of you through the easy and the difficult times. Also, go ahead and declare your major as English. You?ll waste a lot of time trying to decide if you don?t, and in the end, you know that?s what you want to do. Ohio Valley University is a great school and you will make many lasting friends, but don?t be afraid to branch out and transfer schools. Freed-Hardeman University will bring you a lot of joy and you will be glad you made the change. In everything you do, trust your instincts and don?t let regret cloud your memories. You will make something of yourself. You have a lot to look forward to.

First of all, I would tell my past self to pack more socks. Laundry is not so fun when you've got four exams to study for and and a class to get to in half an hour. More socks equals less laundry. My second piece of advice would be to get to know everyone, and I mean everyone. Once you get to college, it's a whole new world. You don't have your parents, your old teachers, your friends from high school, you're on your own. Which means you need to branch out. Don't just look for people who were like your group of friends back home. In fact, look for people who aren't exactly who you would peg to be your friends in high school. Figure out where they're from, what their major is, what their favorite color is. You might find someone who can help you study for Calculus or likes the same kinds of movies as you. The people you meet when you get to college are going to be your family away from home, and they'll help you grow into the person you're going to be.

When advising a parent and/or students about finding the right college, I would tell them to make sure that the academic opportunities of the schools being considered match their career plans. I would say that while academics are very important in choosing a college, it is also crucial that one attends a school they like, where they are able to make friends, and can be involved socially. I would advise them to learn more about housing, financial aid, and so forth to make certain there are no surprises concerning their money later down the road. I would tell them to search for scholarships and apply for as many as possible. I would also remind them that no school is too expensive if it is truly where the student wants to go. Lastly, I would remind the parents that while their student needs to study and do well, he or she should also be allowed to have fun because college memories and friends are what they're really going to cherish once they graduate.

If I could talk to myself when I was a highschool senior there would be a lot for me to say. I would tell myself not to worry so much on the fun things those will happen no matter what you do and you'll have time for them. You'll meet the best set of friends you've ever had and find the most wonderful girl in the world. Worry about the important stuff. The whole reason you are going to college is to get a degree and find a good job at the end of four years. I know you haven't done a lot in the past and you'll realize this when you start looking for scholarships, but trust me it will help you a great deal to study hard this semester and receive great grades. No matter how much you hate it write every essay in english class, put your best effort into every speech you're assigned and remember your quizzes due every friday at five. Bowling won't be the only class you'll enjoy this year. Just remember grades first, relationships second, fun third,

I would tell anyone that there is no way to choose a college properly, even if you know its reputation is good, except by visiting the campus. That is so vital. It is not super difficult to put up a good website and take pictures of the best places of the campus and make it appear as if it is awesome. The main way to know what is best for your child (and the money you're spending) is to visit the campus and meet the president and the teachers and get to know the people. One thing awesome about FHU is that it is definitely trying to improve its campus, but it is far above other colleges because of the people. It is the people that make up the school and that make up the staff that make it so unique. You can not go many places where you see your teacher lecture in a class and then see them on Sunday morning worshipping right down the aisle just as much as you. FHU is a very unique place and you can not figure that out until you come. So come on.

Given the chance to go back to my senior year of high school, I would have definitely fought harder to not succumb to senioritis! Adjusting to ?college life? has not been a problem for me, ever since I got to school; nearly everything about that aspect has come easily. However, I got a few B's where I should have gotten A's during my senior year, and it cost me thousands in scholarship money. But beyond that, I would have definitely tried to look harder for scholarships. As much as I love attending school at Freed-Hardeman University, It seems that I never have a nickel to spare, I owe it all to the school. My parents credit and my own lack of credit makes it so that I owe the school a large sum of money that the bank will not let me borrow, so every penny counts. Trying harder on my grades and in my scholarship search during my senior year would have made attending this great university much less of a hassle financially.

Parents do not need to push a decision on a child, but they do need to give advice and input. Let the child make the decision based on what the/she has learned and what parents say. Students and parents need to set up college days to go and view in person the colleges they are interested in. Students need to keep in mind that they are not going to school to just party but to get a good education. So the parent and the student needs to look at the academic area of the school and possibly let that be a major deciding factor because a student can have fun at any school if they are open to meet people. Students will have an amazing time at any school if they do two things: one is get involved, do not just sit in your room all day but take the initiative and be active. Second is learning to balance your school life and your study life. If you can do these two things you will be fine in college.

To make the best of one's college experience, one must be able to get along with the people. After all, the college is only made up of the students and faculty associated with it. The campus, the town, how good the food is, how good the dorms are, etc., are all extra perks, but one can have the best college facilities in the world and still be miserable, if they don't enjoy being around the people. One must choose a school for what he or she wants to get out of it, be it academics, or culture, a good party scene, or to just get away from mom and dad. My advice is to visit campuses, talk to people, see what the people you meet think about the school, see if you would like the people that you meet, and then make a decision and stick to it. No matter where you choose, the college years will be some of the most exciting years of life.

I would tell students and parents alike that they should not only look at the academic prestige of the school or even the price. Those things both can be determined by the students? ability to desire to learn and to put themselves through college. One thing that many forget to look at is the environment; look for things like what the people are like there, the community, the values, and the closeness. After all is said and done you will get a college education that is good from most universities, and you will eventually pay off all of the loans, but the things that will have the most impact on you in your life is not the classes you take or the money you saved, but the people there. The teachers that became friends because you were so close with them; and the unforgettable bonds that will last a lifetime with the friends you made.

My advice to give to students that will be going to college is to find a school that fits their personal wants and needs. Make sure you research a lot about the college, such as its academic programs, major fields of study, location, atmosphere, and social life. All of these aspects are very important: find what you are comfortable with and what you need in order to attain your desired degree, and to make college an enjoyable time. Remember that the reason you are in college is to work, but make sure you enjoy what you are studying for your major. Have fun, but keep a good balance between schoolwork and social life. My advice to parents is to help their students figure out what they want in a college, and encourage them to achieve those goals. Helping students find what is best for them will make success easier and more enjoyable.