Freed-Hardeman University

« See more reviews of Freed-Hardeman University

Decide if you are comfortable at the college you choose! If you feel comfortable beforehand, it will make meeting people and living with strangers a lot easier. You only have one freshman year of college, and you should make the most of it! Don't get caught up in the party scene, you want to remember your experience! College is a time of growing up and learning about yourself! Remember who you are, where you've come from, and make those people proud at home! There is more to learn in college than ever! The world is at your fingertips! Go to a college with a study abroad program. It will change your life! Open your eyes to the world around you and see as much of it as you can! Communicate with your parents often, they have made a lot of sacrifices throughout your life to get you to where you are. Love college!

When searching for the right college, parents and students should visit each campus they are considering and talk to a number of people there, staff and students. A person can learn so much more about a situation through actually conversing face to face. I would also encourage them to sit and observe the campus and how people are interacting with each other. After choosing a college, it is important to make the most of the experience. BE INVOLVED! If a person is paying to attend somewhere, he/she should get his/her money's worth. By being involved in the available social activities, he/she is not solely paying for an education but for an experience of a lifetime! Being socially involved allows for alleiviaton of some of the stressors in college. Who wouldn't want to be less stressed?

The advice I would give those looking for the perfect school would to be to find a school that fits them. You shouldn't look for the best programs or the type of place that has the people you want to be like. Those things to not determine happiness and overall success during a student's college years. What is important is feeling like you belong. Go visit the campus and spend some times there. Talk to the students. Go to the classes. Look to see if you feel comfortable in the surrounding and the social enviornment of that school. Nothing will make your college experience worse than realizing that you made the wrong choice, and being too late to do anything about it. My advice would be to find a place that will not only prepare you for a successful carrer, but will also prepare you for life.

The advice I would give parent and students about choosing a colleg is to never base a choice on cause a friend is going there or just cause the offer the courses you need....Yea it is a great thing to know that the college has the courses one need but you want to check into other aspects of the college....And no you do not want to go to a college a long time friend is going to just cause he or she is going...One need to make sure he or she likes the campus and see how people treat each other on the campus...Make sure he or she is going to like the campus enough to withstand a whole year of living there...When choosing a college its about all the little aspects of it to make a good choice...Its not about how big or small it is or how good the sports teams are...Its so much more than that...

When choosing a college, do NOT worry about which college is the most popular or the least liked. That's the public opinion... not yours. Each college is for someone. Everyone has different needs that are met by different academic institutions. It's like finding your fingerprint - it's an unique search that is just for you. And when it comes to financial aid, be assertive! There are tons of ways to get help financially for school. And when you're at college, don't lock yourself in your dorm room all the time to study. You're there to experience life with tons of other peers who are in the same boat as you! Share life stories and create a new beginning as well! Remember - live. Laugh. Love. :) College is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that is sure to never be forgotten.

The first thing that I would tell myself is, "Ramona, don't wait to go to college. Get into it right after high school." And once you get there, be like a sponge. Soak up every bit of knowledge that you can. It may seem like earning a degree will take such a long time, but it actually flies by! I wish would have done just that. Because, I decided to take a break after high school, I got pregnant, got married, and worked in dead end jobs. I ended up taking a 26 year "break". I would definitely encourage myself to go for it immediately. College life is very exciting and fast paced. It requires a tremendous amount of discipline and dedication. The transition would have been so much easier had I went to college when I was fresh out of high school.

I would tell my hign school self so many things about college life. First, I would say "don't sweat the small stuff". Nothing is worse than overreacting when things don't go as you plan. Most of what happens to you in life will be different from what you expected. Second, I would tell myself "be yourself". I would make sure I knew that I had so many things to offer others by being nothing more or less than what I am. Thirdly, people disappoint you and you disappoint others. Sometimes this can't even be helped, but as long as you know this ahead of time, you will save yourself a lot of long nights worrying. Lastly, I would tell myself that college is a place where you meet some of the best people you'll ever know and they will become your lifelong friends.

During the process of chosing a college, I looked mainly looked at the financial aspect. However, looking back, I now realize that this is of little importance. Luckily for me, I was still chose the right school. It has taken me almost three years to realize that even if it means I'm in debt the rest of my life, I would do it all over again if I could. College is a time in life when independence first feels real. It is important to find a school that fits both your social and academic needs. It is important to go in with an open mind and a willingness to try new things and meeet new people. I was able to use college as a spring board for my social life and I have been able to grow and develop into a person I never saw myself becoming.

My social skills have greatly improved. In college, everyone is an adult so you are forced to grow up quickly. I've also learned valuable study skills that I'll be able to use throughout my college experience. I've learned that procrastination is NEVER the answer and that Taco Bell's fourth-meal isn't a joke, it actually exists and it's miraculous. College has made me a better person. I'm more patient, more understanding, and more accomidating to others. It's changed me from a rebellious teenager to a well-rounded and responsible adult. I've also grown more spiritually. I finally know the genuine definition of unconditional love, and that, is worth all of the time and effort I've put into my education.

Look for the college that would best fit your needs. Take the cost into consideration, but do not let the cost stop you form going to a college that is the best fit for you. Go to the school for a campus visit and talk to the students, teachers and other people that work at the school. When you start to the college of your choise try to find groups that you like to hang out with. Not everyone will do this and thats ok. If you do get involed try to balance school work and social life. Going off to college gives you more ways to get in trouble to. Try not to get involved with the worng crowed. College is about learing how to make a living, but don't forget to have fun along the way.