Freed-Hardeman University

« See more reviews of Freed-Hardeman University

I would advise myself to become more structured. Become more organized. I would remind myself that I need a to-do list and that I need to make a schedule of when class time is, when I need to study and do homework, and then add free time. I would warn myself of the many distractions that are at college, away from home. Besides those few things, I would not give anymore advice. There are some things that one needs to learn on their own. People need to learn from their own mistakes. Isn't that what life is about? Taking your mistakes, your weaknesses and making them into strengths. Life is full of oppertunities, full of excietment, full of lessons. Why take that away from myself?

I would tell myself to take a dual-enrollment class, take college courses in advance, or make sure to take Advanced Placement tests. I wasted a lot of time and money in my first 2 years of college on classes that I could have already completed prior to coming to college. I would also tell myself to be more outgoing and make friends with more people. In many cases, it's all about who you know. I would make sure that I knew what my major would be because changing majors often puts one behind on their intended graduation date. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and to make certain that my high school counselor was willing to help find scholarships.

I have learned so much already about my future profession and am thrilled for the future. I have met so many people that have changed my life for the better. Living on my own has been an experience that will help me in many ways. I look forward to leaning even more about life and how to live it in a positive way in my next two years of college. College is very expensive, but I think that what I have learned both formally and informally at Freed-Hardeman is invaluable. Living well spiritually is very important at this school and I am learning to be successful at that as well as in my chosen field.

Think a lot about what is really important in your life before you make the decision to attend college. Don't attend colleges just because your friends are there but make sure that the academic programs, social life, and other things are exactly what you are searching for. I have transferred away from the school because of baseball and then transferred back after I stopped playing baseball. I have learned that there is a wide gap in the programs, facilities, etc... between schools so make sure that the school that you choose has what you are looking for and what is important to you.

Inorder to find the right college for you, you need to find something that has the things that are most important to you. If you enjoy having a few close friends and just hanging out at a picnic table, then find a small school that is in a small town. If you like going out with big groups of friends to dinner and a concert, then find a big school in a big city. The right college for you will in a sense match your personality. To make the most of your college experience, get involved. Try things that you've never done before. Expose yourself to new experiences.

I was one of those people that really coasted through high school. Nothing was that tough to me, and what I called studying was reading through the book or notes the class period beforehand. If I could go back to give young me some advice, it would be to learn then how to study effectively. It was a really hard transition from high school to college, and especially harder because of my inability to study correctly. Thankfully, I've started to get the hang of it. I wish I'd known how to study like this back in high school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry so much about leaving home and leaving my home congregation, but instead, focus on the good things that will come with college life. Leaving home is sad, but you are starting a new chapter in your life, and exciting introduction to independence. Take the ACT and SAT as many times as possible, and study for them to try and get your score as high as possible. Enjoy senior year, and get excited for college!

Find a place that makes you comfortable, where you can be yourself. Don't go to a school just because that is where you friends are going. What I and my friends in highschool did not understand was that even though we were close friends when we graduated, we would go on to find new freinds in college with who we would be closer. So, I believe that it is important to find a place to truely be yourself, where you can make friends who are compatable with you.

Make sure to consider all of your options when trying to choose the right school, but honestly, you will know when it is the school for you. As for making the most of your college experience? Don't limit yourself to a certain group of people or a certain type of interest. College is a time for widening your horizons and it is a great way to find out what you might like, or to make new friends!

I would stress the importance of organization. I have learned a lot about staying on task and being organized. I would also tell myself that my grades matter. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the three hour phone calls and crack the books a little harder. All in all, high school went pretty well be there is always room for improvement.