Friends University

« See more reviews of Friends University

Before beginning, students should talk to their high school instructors, who specialize in the fields that interest them. This helps the student learn what careers are available within that field and which schools excel there. Second, I strongly suggest that the prospective student and the parent visit these schools. If possible, talk to the director of the department they will be studying under, and see if they can sit in on a class or two that is required for that degree plan. After a student chooses the school that offers the most to them, consider attending a high-quality community college during their freshman year, then transferring. These courses are cheaper and bolster the student's college GPA for scholarships. Once the student reaches a decision about which college to attend, apply early. Many schools are first come, first serve with on-campus housing. Following acceptance into the school of his/her choice, the student should take a moment to breathe. They have done well and the fall semester brings new challenges that fretting over will not solve. Once the new semester begins, get involved. Seek out study groups, intramural sports and clubs to provide support throughout this endeavor.

Life after HS Graduation is awkward. You're leaving everyone you knew for 12 years and it can feel like all security is gone. It becomes easy to find yourself looking for the closest, most "comfortable" school to reclaim that security. However, colleges are like shoes, and you wouldn't settle for the one that's on the closest shelf! Search until you find a college that that really seems to fit your post-college goals. Don't waste money on higher education with a pretty campus until you know that they have the faculty to support you and your major. If and when that shoe fits, all experience will rely on you, your workload and residence. To delve into the joys of college life, don't be afraid to shake off high school stereotypes and reinvent yourself. Living on campus will reveal a lot of surprising traits---and friendships. To keep semesters relatively painless, meticulously plan schedules and don't overload; Learning is important, but dumping ice water on the entire unsuspecting freshman class will be remembered forever! Most importantly, know that despite occasional pinched toes, you will have no sweeter freedom than when in your college shoes.

As a prospective college student, it is important not to get single-minded and think about only one college. Multiple applications to many different types of colleges is important. When you apply to all of these different colleges, information comes in truck loads. All of the financial aid departments will work with you and your financial aid application to see how much aid you can get from the government. One thing I have noticed is how at smaller, private colleges, you can recieve more money financially than state colleges. Also, do not be afraid to apply for any sort of scholarship. You never know if you will win or recieve it, but it never hurts to try it and it is almost always free. A free application with the possibility of recieve money! You will also want to get to know their policies of health and security. Touring the college, sitting in on classes, and meeting teachers and current students is a great way to find out more about the college also. You will never get a better review of the college than from someone who actually lives, interacts, and attends that college. Good luck finding your college!

When looking for a college I think parents and/or students should look to the faculty and employees first to see how the experience at that college will be. The Faculty tells alot about what type of college a person will be attending. If the University takes pride in their students and there ability to learn, they will take pride in providing them with passionate professor and employees, making there experience as good as possible. I think second they should look at the Community, and how welcoming it is. A welcoming community invites everyone, and not just a specific group of people who believe the same thing, but a respectable amount of diversity . By having different people on the campus, it prepares students for the world. I think a campus should have it's share of good and bad people (according to expectation of our nation) and by having this it will allow students the opportunity to experience one of the most important skills that is learned, which is to understand how rely on their own ability to reason and make decision in the kinds of situation that will be presented in the time in and outside of college.

College has opened my eyes to a whole new world of possiblities, it's gotten my interested in politics, photography, and my community as a whole. I was once considering of not going because of the financial stress it would put on my family, and while times are tough, we persevere. The college experience has been valuable to me because it gives me an option to be something better in life, to try and optain something in life that i would otherwise not be able to. We all know the statistics, about how college grads earn so much more in their lifetimes than those who do not. For me, however, it transcends that. Even with the economic benefits, college can open so many doors for people like me who don't really know what they want to do in life. My personal college expeirience has given me a chance to figure that out, which would have been incredibly hard to do with these options. The number one positive thing about college for me though is it led me to find the woman I love and who amazingly loves me. I simply coulnd't imagine my life without being in college.

There is no exact guide to picking a college to attend. Each person is looking for something different in their college experience. The main thing to make sure of is that the college you choose feels right. A student needs to feel comfortable at the university they are going to get their higher education at. If your dream school looks perfect except in the pocket book area, don?t worry. There are a lot of grants and financial aid available. Do not rule anything out until you see the final numbers. You would be surprised how much help you can get to pay for college. Even if you have to take out a loan, they can be good for helping you build credit later on. Another thing to make sure of is that you are going to a college because you want to go there. Not because your friends, girl/boyfriend is going, or because your parents want you to go there. They might be helping to pay for it but they shouldn't be paying for 4 years of misery. Overall the school needs to fit you, find one that will help you define yourself.

I would tell my high school self to go to college right out of high school and apply myself to my studies, earn my degrees prior to being distracted and weighted down by the responsibility of raising my own children. I would stress the importance of not only education but an attitude of life long learning. I would also encourage myself to play more and not jump into adulthood. I would encourage my high school self to enjoy the moments and not rush into taking on responsibility. I would try to instill a mindset of mentorship, encouraging myself to find a mentor and to be a mentor. I would encourage myself to be goal oriented and to approach life with a plan instead of just allowing life to happen and dealing with the results or consequences. Last, I would highly encourage myself to celebrate each achievement! Walk at graduation and throw the cap in the air! Celebrate first then set the next goal and do what it takes to achieve it.

If i could have a chance to go back in time and talk to my self about college and everything that is important. I would go back to senior year and tell my self that grades, football and school is the most important. Because like most people think that nothing matters in high school but the last year of high school determines what you will get in scholarships and be looked at as. Grades determine alot and the gpa of everything i did. But I am now given a second chance to play football and make great grades and actually put everything i have into school. But if i knew what i know now i would have totally have done a lot different and not worried about making money and get nice things. Because school will get me farther than anything i could do with working. I am so excited to go back to school and ready to fight for anything to make my self as a person better.

If I were to go back to talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to investigate more college options before jumping into college. At the time I thought I wanted to go in to the teaching field, but then realize that I didn't really want to spend my life teaching. At that point I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I dove in to my local community college haphazardly taking classes hoping I would fall into something I loved. Unfortuately, I didn't. After two years I greaduated with a degree in General Studies. It wasn't until I started current job that I realized I wanted to go into the Information Security/Computer Information Systems area. I am so glad where I have ended up, but if I had put myself out there more when I was in high school, I think I would have been able to specialize my classes to fit the degree I am currently seeking.

If I were to go back in time I would assure myself that change is good, and that college is not the terrifying environment that I perceived it to be. I would tell myself that partying and permiscuous activity is not the main focus of college life, and that I could easily find friends who share my conservative views and enjoy the same activities as I do. I would tell myself that my experiences in college were going to be some of the best of my life so far. The friends I would make, the artistic community, and the classes I would take will cause me to be very reflective, and change my outlook on life forever. I would help my highschool self to eliminate the fear of change, and to look forward to a community that shares many of my beliefs and helps me to become the dedicated, hard-working, successful, and moral adult that I will eventually be.