Friends University

« See more reviews of Friends University

If I could go back and advise myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to embrace myself and continue my strong work ethic. The most exciting part of the transition to college is the chance to branch out, meet new people, amd grow as an adult. I would encourage myself to go beyond my comfort zone and break out of my shell to experience the new opportunities and to challenge myself in different and new life stages. What is equally important is to take it upon yourself to learn how to really study to achieve the degree that will gain you the career that you truely want to do for the rest of your life. The motivation for this college experience is to achieve your dreams and learn how strong you can be as an adult, feeling independant and confident to move into a happy and fufilling adulthood.

I've opened up a lot more. College has given me the confidence to express myself more. I've meet people who have given me hope for my future college experiences. By being able to meet and interact with such a wide variety of people is what I think has been the most valuable. I've gotten to learn about different cultures and religions. I've learned to be more patient and understanding with those from a different background, because I dont know what they have been through. By attending college I have been able to share with others some of the things I have learned. I can open up the minds and eyes of people close to me, so that they can become more understanding and have more compassion for the world around them.

The best advice I can give to students and/or parents looking at colleges is that you must experience the college. Take a campus visit, attend a sporting event, sit in on classes, or go to a concert or performance at the schools you are looking at. Make sure you know beforehand what size of school you would like to attend and if you want to attend a private or state school. After visiting all the schools you like, make a pro and con list for each school. This can make the process of selecting a college that much easier. Also be aware of how much financial aid you qualify for at each institution. Money makes a difference in everyones decision. So make sure you know what you will have to pay.

If I could go back in time and speak to my former self, I would tell myself two things. First, I would tell myself that time management is crucial. With homework, many extracurricular activities and two on-campus jobs, there is only time for fun if you do everything academic before you even think about going out with friends. School comes first, and only after school is there time for anything else. Second, I would tell my former self that money management is just as important. Although you may only spend a few dollars a day, that can add up to almost one hundred dollars in a month and a thousand dollars in a year. The same thousand dollars that you could be putting towards your education.

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to go right after I graduate from high school. I would tell myself not to wait on going to college, to start taking at least the basic general courses. To maybe start out at a junoir college to save a little money and then go to a University like Friends. The people there are great and the classes are small just like the campus. You can easily walk to any building on the campus with five minutes. There are many activies you can get involved with if you have the time. I belive if I had went to college right out of high school I would have got to enjoy more of the campus life.

It is not always about the prestige of a school. Look for what will fit your child's attitude and what they want to become. Some schools foster destruction and others foster personal growth. Kowledge only gets youso far in this world. Character and value are much more important than prestige. Remeber that thit should be the best college for your child and not for you. Let them choose and support them. Eventhough we as children may balk at your ideas, we still desire your love and support, so please do not withhold it when we are defining our true identity as an idividual. Talk with your children and learn who, not what, they want to be.

I would tell myself to follow your dreams and do what you love. Do not waste time doing something you think you should, instead search out your passion and follow the path that leads to a job in which you are pursuing that passion for the rest of your life. Life is too short to worry about your salary more than the quality of life. Your college years will be more fulfilling and less stressful if you are studying something you enjoy as opposed to forcing youself to take the "prestigious" route which will be filled with hard years trying to make more money. Enjoy your life, do not just endure it.

Live on campus, and be patient. Freshman year is hard for most people, so expect not to have many friends. Get involved where you can, focus on school, and try for an on-campus job as soon as you can. The more people see you around campus, the more likely you are to make friends, and the more likely they are to think of you to invite places. Don't worry and have fun.

Look for a nice, smaller college that allows for flexibility and meshes with your kid's personality (introverted, extroverted). It's much better to take 5+ years of classes slowly with some fun ones thrown in, than to try to get it all in in 4 years. Consider doing general ed. classes at a community college, then the rest at a 4-year college.

Take your time when looking for the right school. Don;t choose it because your friends are going there. And If you are playing a sport think about your education too. Its nice to be on a winning team, as long as you are playing the game that's all that matters. Remember you are a student athlete, Student before athlete.