Front Range Community College

« See more reviews of Front Range Community College

If I could go back in time and tell myself as a senior what I know now about college, the most important things I would say are relax, plan ahead, and get organized. First of all, senior year is full of stressfull situations and it makes things worse when everyone tells you how hard college is going to be. The truth is, it isn't. If you had a good system in highschool for getting your work done and managing your time wisely then you will do just fine in college as well. A big thing that you should keep track of is planing ahead. deadlines and important dates come very quickly so do everything like, applications, finanicial aid, buying books etc. sooner rather than later. Last, but probably most importantly, get organized. Aside from homework, you will have tons of important papers and contracts that you will need to keep safe so get some sort of file system or folders to keep everything in and know where it is for easy access. Also keep all of your passweords written down someplace safe because you will create lots of login accounts for school and it can get confusing. Good luck!

Looking at you in hindsight, I see a dedicated and determined girl who desperately wants to be somebody but who is finding difficulty in just being who she is. A trip to Washington D.C. without your parents to compete as a finalist in the National History Day Competition is actually more frightening than exciting. But there's only one way to break the wall of fear, and it has to come from within. That competition you're thinking about - do it. So what if you're ashamed of your cheap instrument and how awful you sound on it. Boldness won't come without practice. Don't worry about what they think - you're playing for the joy of it, and someday maybe that new violin will come. Until then, let music be exciting. Work hard, push yourself and love the life you've been given. Stop and think just for a moment about what your parents, ambitious younger sister, older brothers and even your teachers have told you more than once: "You're eighteen - live a little! Life is the dress rehearsal and the concert wrapped up in one world-premire of yourself." And there's only one performance.

In 2008, David Delaney graduated highschool and was ready to move on in the direction he thought suitable for him. With no consulting in making his decision, he mistakenly left home and friends. In no time at all, highschool was over and David found himself hundreds of miles away inprocessing into America's Army. Two and a half months of self-driven torture ensued, yet didn't stop after graduation of basic training. Five more months of belittlement and regret followed through the graduation of individual training and then on to Fort Benning, GA. Now 1200 miles away from anybody he knows, the depression he found himself in in highschool is as real as it was any other day in the last seven months. A distant look at David's life, and anyone could plainly see the turmoil his soul is in. But it is what's beyond sight that paradoxes our usual outlook of life. In a most profound and amazing way, the God of the universe is working in all of this to bring David back to what is most important in life; Him. Now, if I were to go back, I wouldn't have myself change anything.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would remind myself of the importance of going to college directly after high school graduation. I would tell myself to fight through the struggles of being a young single parent, because I would have been a better example to my own children. I would tell myself that starting over again at the age of 39 is way more difficult, and intimidating. I would tell myself that I could do anything I set my mind to, and that there are people to help students like me struggling financially raising a daughter on my own. I have made some seriously terrible choices in my life, but I learned through those decisions, fighting through difficulties, teaches amazing things. I am a stronger person because of those struggles. I believe had I fought through college at a younger age, it would have prevented some of the other choices I made. I would recommend to my younger self, ask for help. Tell people you your needs are not being met and find other ways to meet them, besides giving up. Never give up.

I would tell myself to have commitment! To me commitment by choice is the strongest foundation that can be built. Learning how to follow things through to the end will create a sense of accomplishment and self worth. I also believe goal setting is paramount to a persons success. I would tell myself these things because now I know where being uncommited will get you. I would say that if you don't follow through now , in 15 years you will be struggling financially and working the same job that you don't enjoy anymore. Not only will you still be at the same job but you will not be making enough money to provide for the three wonderful children you will have. One day you will have to hold your baby and be worried about taking him to the doctor because you won't be able to afford insurance. Later when you finally realize that you can't keep struggling you will find the commitment but the cost is high...daycare, working, no vacation and so much time away from your kids. Make the the choice to be commited don't let life make it for you!

Dear Valerie, You may think that this sounds crazy, but I am writing to you from the future. Right now, you are about to enter into your senior year at high school. This year will bring fun, laughter, and excitement, but it may also bring some pain and sadness. But even through the hard times, you will grow like you won't believe. So just push on, and keep trusting in God with all your heart. This year, don't worry about popularity, clicks, or boys. Because the second you graduate, those things all fly out the window. Instead, worry about college. You may think you have it figured out, but you don't. Your life is going to be twisted like you have never imagined. So take on those extra-credit opportunities. And most importantly, start applying for scholarships. Because school costs a lot of money, and you won't be able to go to your dream school without these scholarships. I hope you keep all of this in mind as you travel through this important year of life. Have fun, but be responsible. - College Valerie

Don't make that first cut. If I could relive that dismal, snowy day - January 6, 2010 - I would stand by my former self, kneel in front of her and pry the cold steel out of her numbed fingers. I would look her in the eyes and tell her of the pain this would cause the people who care the most about her. Falling for a friend from high school, this person that you convince yourself you belong with and whom you want so badly. The pain and devastation he will cause you is immeasurable. Look at your arms now and what you have done. No one is worth the anguish you feel. Step away. Walk away from the edge, stop looking down. Your future is better than this. I know you don't see it now, but five years from now you still won't have a degree. You will be searching for meaning and rebuilding yourself from this damage. Finish what you start. Never give up on your hopes and dreams just because they are challenging. You are strong; you are capable; you are beautiful. Stick with your passions. And promise me that you will never give up.

Probably the best advice I would give myself is that im attending college to further my education and not to party. For alot of kids college is the first time they have been on their own. It is ok to party on the weekends but they should try to keep it under control. Studying is very important to the success they have and if you spend to much time having fun your education can suffer. I think if they only want to party they should maybe think about taking a year off to get it out of their system. Then when they feel like they are ready to further their education they might have better success. I would also say they should choose a good enviroment to live in. A frat house might be alot of fun but it could affect their grades. If they stay in dorms with other people who are doing well in school it may help them out as well. Finally I would say that all colleges offer places to get additional help for free and that if you are struggling with class then it would be helpful to seek out additional help.

The first thing I would tell myself if I went back in time to senior year of high school is to do all my school work and try my hardest. Most high school seniors take the easiest classes and don't do all their homework because their thinking that it doesn't matter because I'm graduating in a couple months anyways. They don't understand that they still receive grades for all their work and this shows in their GPA at the end of the year. The classes they take in their senior year should also be classes that are important and not just the easiest classes they can take. Colleges do look at the classes you've taken so take something that reflects nicely to a prospect college. I would also tell myself to volunteer to a cause that is important to me. When college comes along, you lose time to volunteer because of class work, projects, meeting new people, and probably working to earn money. High school is the best time to spend giving back to people. Also, saving money is important at this time as well.

As a high school senior I was already attending college as a full time student at Johnson & Wales University. I was in the access program. If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would ask myself the question "How fast are you willing to grow up?" When I attended Johnson & Wales University my senior year, I learned many things very quickly. Some things I was ready for, some things I wasn't. I moved into the dorms on campus and lived with people who were all at least one year older than I was. In the beginning, I didn't realize how much that woud change me. If I went back in time, I would ask myself if I was really prepared for college. I would ask myself if I was really ready to be an adult and become fully %100 responsible for my education. If I had asked myself that question then, I might not have chosen to give up senior prom for finals, or graduation rehearsal for work. In the end, my advice to my high school senior self would be to enjoy your youth and not be in a hurry to grow up.