Frostburg State University

« See more reviews of Frostburg State University

As we view our current society, we see the economy rapidly declining because of various needs to our nation which is making jobs state-wide impossible. In my point of view, I strongly stand for education for success in this present world. As one is born, he/she visions a dream as a young individual of living the American dream, and letting it come to passed and making it also possible for futher generations. Therefore, several steps must be taken in accomplishing those dreams. Furthermore, my advise to parents is to strictly enforced the importance of an education on their children, rather than leaving the decision in attending college to their children. Once theres a clear path, the decision on the type of college or university, depends on the major the child wants to pursue, which is very important. Also i would advise parents/students to enroll in universities with small size class, because it gives an opportunity for the student to have a better understanding and a closer interaction with the professors when help is needed. All in All, education is the key to success, and one should grab this opportunity while its avialable.

I would encourage parents to involve their future student in the decision making process of deciding on the right college and not try to force their preference on to the child. Ultimately if the student picks the college, the benefits to them will be significant. Deciding on a college is often a childs first real step into adulthood. So parents should discuss their financial or enviromental concerns of a particular college with their child; but not completely rule out a college if possible. For the student, I would say come to the campus ready to learn about more than just your major. Pick a college that is going to allow you to expand your horizons and interact with people you may not normally meet. Because the world is now a global community and it's important to think beyond just what's in front of you. Also, pick a school that allows you to discover what's best about you as an individual because you're the one that will ultimately be taking what you learn into the job market. It's important that you know what makes you special so that you can tell others what makes you special.

When I was looking for the college that was right for me, I wish that someone told me to not stress so much. Obviously, you want to choose the right school, but any school is what you make of it. People who are not involved in anything at my school hate it, while people who are involved love it. Also, it is important that students base their decision on things that really matter. For example, you don?t want to go to a school just to follow a friend. That school could work for your friend and not for you. Consider the schools size, geographical location, available activities, and majors. I would advise incoming students to think hard about that. When I chose my school, I thought that I wanted certain qualities in a school, and then when I actually got to the school, I realized that those qualities were not what I wanted. It is very important to visit the school, talk to current students, and sit in on classes if possible. Most importantly, remember that the purpose of college is to prepare you for a career, so choose the school that you think can best prepare you.

The most crucial piece of advice I think I would ever give myself is to apply for scholarships! Senior year you keep hearing about all these opportunities but somehow you let them slip until the deadlines pass. There's a broader spectrum for high school graduate scholarships than there are for students that are already enrolled in college; seeing as they start becoming specific with your major and whatnot. I believe the laziness that prevents us from taking these opportunities is the fact that we have to write essays of all sorts. If I only knew how much money I would have saved with writing a 200 word little paragraph when I was 18. There are so many resources you can use to find them, especially in high school with the CAP advisor. With only entering a few words on Google you'll get hundreds of matches. There are even scholarships that are focused on little quirks like having red hair, or making a dress out of scotch tape that it is truly ridiculous not to take advantage of them. If i could go back in time I would definitely change this aspect of paying for college.

If I had a chance to go back, first I would tell myself to talk to current students that attend the prospective schools I wanted to attend. This way I could get a real opinion about the school instead of the representatives rehearsed speech. Secondly, I would warn myself about not declaring a major by the end of my freshman year. A lot people tell high school students that it is acceptable to go into a liberal arts college without having a clue what discipline they desire to study. But what they don't tell you is that you could be in college a lot longer than you intended to be (and spend a lot more money) if you do not steadily stay in one particular discipline. Then I would inform myself on how important social life is, so be very open minded when trying to get involved within the campus community. There are alot of different people from diverse backgrounds, and if you chose to stay around same type environment that you had in high school then your college experience will not be that good. This has even caused some students to not want to come back to school.

I would tell parents to encurage their college bound children to look at colleges that they realisticly could attend. If the student spends more time looking at overly expensive schools, or schools that are a unrealistic traveling distence from their home they will end up not knowing what school to attend when they get acceptence letters from realistic schools. I would also tell Parents to be accepting and helpfull when the students chooses a college. To a student I would recoment reserching their perspective schools and visiting them. This way they have a good idea of which school fits them best. Also, I would recoment starting their college search early. This way they will have information and be able to make a informed decision when applying to and accepting schools, when it comes time. A early aplication is always better than an application that just makes the deadline, I know that from personal experience. Finally, In order to enjoy the college experience the student must enjoy what he or she is studing and to make friends to help him or her succeed.

I would tell myself that, as tough as I thought high school was sometimes, that my most challanging years of my life were still ahead of me. I know that this information would be a bit of a burdon to myself in high school, but I also believe that if you are not willing to be challanged, then you probabily should not persue higher education. Luckily, I would be able to tell mysef that my origional career choice, to date, has still heald my interest, and I have become even more passionate about being a teacher than I was as a high school senior. I would tell myself that the next few years would be the most humbling, and maturing years of my life. I would say that becoming humble and mature, even through a harsh transition into college and being self-sufficient, are values I can posess for the rest of my life, and keep through all of my endeavors. To close, I would tell myself that if I simply reflect on the reason I am in college to begin with, I will find the passion, courage, and strength to overcome any challange I may encounter in the future.

To students, I would tell them to look at the size of the school they are planning on attending. Even if the school seems to be really small, or even out in the middle of no where, you become so close to the people in your classes and in your dorm. I myself go to a fairly small school, and I have made so many friends that I can see having even after college. Also, even if it looks like it would be boring because of the location, when you actually get to school there are so many acitivities on and off campus. Then even on the days that there is nothing interesting you planned, you can always just hang out with some friends. Acedemically, a smaller school is advantageous because your classes would be smaller and you can get more one on one help from your professors. Another thing is in smaller classes you get to know people in your classes so you can get together and study or just make friends. Finally, a smaller campus is easier to get around to and from classes. Choosing the right college is essential and I would suggest a smaller school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and tell what I know now about college life and making the transition to college, I would give certain advice to myself. I would advise myself with high importance that I need to prepare myself for college. I was never prepared for college; my high school wasn?t a college prep school, so I was left on my own. I would want to tell myself that college education is important and I should prepare my English, writing, grammar, math and anything else needed for college level education. It is important that I review and study to be ready for college. In addition to the education, I would like to have known about the different schools and what they offer for degrees, and other programs. I did not have a good chance to look into colleges, I would like to have known what other colleges were available. Especially, I would like to have looked into the costs and options to pay for school. If I would have had this advice, college transition would have been much easier than it was for me.

If only I had known my senior year of high school what I know right now. Two years and much has changed. My education has expanded; I never would have thought I would possess such knowledge in the field of marketing. I would’ve given my former self three statements of advice: Study hard, take algebra 2, and to start developing a four year career path. First, I would tell myself to get used to studying. The key to passing college is studying. A lot of people don't do it and rather party on weekends. The more material you remember the better off you will be period! Second, I would have told myself to take algebra 2 my final year of high school. If I had taken algebra in high school then I would have passed my placement test. As a result, I would be saved the horror of taking a pre-algebra class. Third, I would’ve said you have to develop a four year career plan. Know what you want to do now and save yourself the despair of switching majors. Start researching your major and know how guaranteed you are to get a career with it.