Gadsden State Community College Top Questions

Jodi

Try harder. Even though there is the opportunity to succeed, it will not be handed to you. Learn as much about your future school and opportunites avaliable through the school before attending.

Knowing what I know about college life and the transitions involved, I would tell myself not to worry so much. I was always kind of like Peter Pan: not wanting to grow up. It wasn't that I wasn't mature or didn't want to take on responsibilities, I just felt like my best days were behind me. But, that proved untrue. With every new life experience comes some new and wonderful oppurtunity. I would like to have told myself not to be so sad about one time in my life ending because college would not be as bad as I had thought it would be. College has proved to be a much better experience than I could ever have hoped for.

My advice to my seventeen year old self would be to sit back and enjoy the ride. my college experience so far has been full of twists and turns. It has included everything from out-of-state internships that turned into jobs, changing majors, taking time off to figure out what to study, and realizing that I don't have to have all the answers. From an outsider's perspective the last few years may seem like a major waste of time, but I would not trade it for the world. These years have taught me lessons that I was not seeking to learn, but lessons that I needed to learn. What they don't tell you about life after high school is that it doesn't always make sense, but that it is ok for it to be that way.

Wendy

The transition from high school to college is not as easy as you think. I would advise that you start the process as soon as possible. You need to apply for admisson to the college and be accepted. Then you have to decided how you will pay for your education. The first step is to apply in the Financial Aid office. They will have you to fill out a form called the FAFSA it will ask questions about you and your parents finacial status and if you or your parents to not exceed the maximum amount of income allowed you may be able to receive what they call a pell grant it is a grant that helps finance your education. Once you applied for financial aid and recieved your awards letter you then can register for your classes. I would suggest that you take you basics first this allows you to decide on a major if you are still undecided. There is always some one there to help you not only the administrators but also the faculity and staff that is what these folkes are there for.

larry

the thing i most regret, is not jumping at my education sooner. i was always so sure i wouldn't be able to go to college because my parents were poor that i didnt bother to look into the facts. by the time i conviced myself that i was the only one that was going to make this happen, i had wasted closer to two years. i wish very much i had that time back, and with the knowledge i have now i could already be working as a Firefighter/Paramedic. After that, the thing for me to focus on would be self discipline. In those two years i was out of school i spent more than i should have spent if i wanted an education. with the thrift skills i was forced to learn and the help of scholarships, as well as fafsa, paying for tuition and books would become alot easier on my mind.

Branden

The best advice I could give to myself would be to grow up and learn to be adult. This advice is something I acquried after watching so many people my age make dome mistakes and watching myself fail to achieve the best for me. Telling my senior self to grow and be better means quite much. It means become smarter, hardworking, healthier, and accepting of God more in life. These qualities are what I had to learn throughout my college life the hard way. There have been so many chances to improve but I never took the time are put the effort to grow. If I had grown up sooner I could of done many things sooner rather then waiting to later. With all that said that is what I would tell my High School self.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school, I would tell myself to learn how to be independent and an adult. The transition to college is tough for the students who are unprepared. Classes are chosen by the students and they must learn to prioritize their time for studies. Before I entered collge, I wish that I learned how to study over a period of time instead of doing it the night before. My success my first year of college would have been much easier if I made sacrifices to study instead of hanging out with my friends. If I understood what it meant to be an adult, then I would have been able to survive college with less stress.

Shasta

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school the first thing I would tell myself would be to make the best grades possible and start applying for scholarships as early as I could. Many students wait until the last moment to start filling forms out but that just causes more stress on yourself in the long run, so to be well prepared is the best possible solution.

Briana

Wow! There would be so many different things I would tell myself. I believe the first thing I would tell myself would be to STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. High school is alot different than college, in a way where you absolutely have to study days before an exam to pass. In high school, I could pass a test without cracking a book so therefore my study abilities for college were awful. The second thing I would have told myself would have been to fill out every scholarship possible. That's where I made a mistake my first semester. Taking money out of my pocket to pay for college was not fun. The last thing is to just have fun everyday in high school. Now I realize that those days flew by and I can not go back and change anything. The main thing is to have fun and enjoy it while it lasts because you don't get a second chance.

I would tale myself to stick with my plans to be a civil engineer and make better on the ACT. I have wasted alot of time since high school, attemping six other degrees in trying to figure out what i would like to do. I am now fixing to graduated with a two year degree and plan on attending The University of Alabama this fall. Its taking me four years to get a two year degree, but i have finally found my calling.

Randie

To apply for college right away, that I don't know everything like I think I do. That education is more important than anything else in life.

Kalee

I would tell myself to try and learn to study better for certain tests. Studying more definately helps out your grade. You cant just memorize stuff. You have to make note cards and actually open up the book and read it or look at the pictures.