Washington, DC
Gallaudet University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gallaudet University

Breanna

Love Gallaudet and the community. Even though there could be things that can be improved, I know the administration and faculty care about the students. There is a lot of alumnae who go on to graduate and then go back to be teachers. So there are plenty of people from the previous generation teaching the next generation.

Ryan

Gallaudet University is a great place to learn. The campus is beautiful, and access to 24/7 American Sign Language has greatly improved my signing skills. The faculty and staff are very friendly for the most part, and classes are well taught. Dorms and food are alright.

Looking back

Looking back

It is a university for Deaf and Hard of hearing students. I had the privilege to experience their world and culture. For most of the programs, all the classes are taught in sign language and majority of the students only communicate via sign language. It's a beautiful, diverse, and empowering community.

lauren

I have received a lot of advices as I graduated high school and to be Gallaudet University bound.. and a lot of them turned out to be great. However, there was one advice that I never received and I kinda wish I did. The advice is to, "do more of what you enjoy the most".. .. I loved working on random video edits, filming, and creating any form of media.. However, I only did most of them for the class assignments.. and it took me full three years in college before I realized I should continue to do that outside of the classroom but wtih my own projects with no "grade" to "worry" about. It turned out that my work was better, and more infulential. That made an impact in my classrom work, as well. My profitilo had gotten thicker with my own outside-of-the-classroom work, as well. That is the advice I wish I had gotten.

Worst is a strong word, hence, there is nothing "worst thing" about my school. I would say the fact that it is in DC was not so convincing at first but after attending the school- I discovered that DC has so much oporrunities for the students. This turned into a good thing.

Camillia

The advice that I would give to myself is not to limit myself to what I can do. And, search out for scholarships that would assist with the expenses to complete my education. I would beed to get involved in different kind of activities that would enhance my resume as I prepare to graduate. Also, do not be afraid to step out to explore my interests and passion. The college education is there for me to explore about what my passion and desires to accomplish.

The best thing about my school, Gallaudet University is the sense of belonging. It is place where I can interact and learn within my own culture and language. The reason that I chose "sense of belonging" is because I am a deaf student and I can fit in the atmosphere. Gallaudet University is the world's only university with programs and services specifically designed to accommodate deaf and hard of hearing students. It was established in 1864 by an Act of Congress, and its charter was signed by President Abraham Lincoln.

The worst thing about Gallaudet University : cost of education. The cost of education is expensive as compared to another colleges in USA. You are able to request assistance to cover the tuition such as FAFSA, scholarships, and grants. Approximately, 80 % undergraduate students would be able to have some kind of assistance with financial aid.

Kristen

I think about this all the time. What if I could go back in time and give my senior in high school self some advice? There are so many things that I would want to say. “Do NOT make the mistake of eating at that Chinese restaurant downtown; you will get the worst food poisoning ever!” “Don’t take the job at the retail store the manager is crazy!!” “The best friend of your life will be Leigha and you will meet her your second year of college she will be amazing and give you amazing support for your aspirations!” Those are just some of the things I would tell myself but most importantly I would say “Kristen, believe in yourself. No one knows what you are truly capable of but yourself and doubt is just a surefire way to watch yourself fail. You know that you want to be a successful opera singer one day, so do it. Go for it all the way.” Maybe she will listen and maybe she won’t but at least she will have a seed planted in her that will help her to success.

Shea

Interesting as they come from different backgrounds but one thing we share in common is our deafness for the most of the students here.

The advice I would give out is to make sure to not rush throughout your high school years. But, you should prepare and start taking things seriously once you start thinking of or applying to colleges/universities. I also would advise people to be true to themselves and try to reach their goals without letting the barriers get in the way. Not only that, every one of us should explore life and what it has to offer us. Do not take any thing for granted but just go out and discover things. Lastly, do well in school as the GPA is really important for many things in the future. We all also should have financial aid, budget plan, scholarships and such things ready before you go to a higher level in school. To conclude this all, I believe that college will really open your mind and mark an highlight in your life.

I would consider the food here as one of the worst qualities, dorms as well.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self I would only have a few things to say. First of all, pay attention in your senior chemistry class as much as possible and don't act like it is a blow off class. Once you get to your anatomy and physiology class your freshman year of college, you need basic chemistry knowledge and it really sucks when you don't have that knowledge because you coasted through that chem class your senior year. Second, you were not prepared for college style papers while in highschool, they are tough. So just watch out for that one. I would also say, be wary of those college boys. You thought highschool boys were bad? College fellers are just looking to go out to the bars everynight, and trust me, that isn't going to be your style in college. I would also say not to worry too much about it being completely different. College is enjoyable if you work hard and attend class. DO NOT BLOW OFF CLASSES! IT DOES NOT END WELL IN THE GRADEBOOK IN COLLEGE! Good Luck!

Gallaudet University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.