Washington, DC
Gallaudet University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gallaudet University

Looking back

Looking back

It is a university for Deaf and Hard of hearing students. I had the privilege to experience their world and culture. For most of the programs, all the classes are taught in sign language and majority of the students only communicate via sign language. It's a beautiful, diverse, and empowering community.

lauren

I have received a lot of advices as I graduated high school and to be Gallaudet University bound.. and a lot of them turned out to be great. However, there was one advice that I never received and I kinda wish I did. The advice is to, "do more of what you enjoy the most".. .. I loved working on random video edits, filming, and creating any form of media.. However, I only did most of them for the class assignments.. and it took me full three years in college before I realized I should continue to do that outside of the classroom but wtih my own projects with no "grade" to "worry" about. It turned out that my work was better, and more infulential. That made an impact in my classrom work, as well. My profitilo had gotten thicker with my own outside-of-the-classroom work, as well. That is the advice I wish I had gotten.

Worst is a strong word, hence, there is nothing "worst thing" about my school. I would say the fact that it is in DC was not so convincing at first but after attending the school- I discovered that DC has so much oporrunities for the students. This turned into a good thing.

Camillia

The advice that I would give to myself is not to limit myself to what I can do. And, search out for scholarships that would assist with the expenses to complete my education. I would beed to get involved in different kind of activities that would enhance my resume as I prepare to graduate. Also, do not be afraid to step out to explore my interests and passion. The college education is there for me to explore about what my passion and desires to accomplish.

The best thing about my school, Gallaudet University is the sense of belonging. It is place where I can interact and learn within my own culture and language. The reason that I chose "sense of belonging" is because I am a deaf student and I can fit in the atmosphere. Gallaudet University is the world's only university with programs and services specifically designed to accommodate deaf and hard of hearing students. It was established in 1864 by an Act of Congress, and its charter was signed by President Abraham Lincoln.

The worst thing about Gallaudet University : cost of education. The cost of education is expensive as compared to another colleges in USA. You are able to request assistance to cover the tuition such as FAFSA, scholarships, and grants. Approximately, 80 % undergraduate students would be able to have some kind of assistance with financial aid.

Kristen

I think about this all the time. What if I could go back in time and give my senior in high school self some advice? There are so many things that I would want to say. “Do NOT make the mistake of eating at that Chinese restaurant downtown; you will get the worst food poisoning ever!” “Don’t take the job at the retail store the manager is crazy!!” “The best friend of your life will be Leigha and you will meet her your second year of college she will be amazing and give you amazing support for your aspirations!” Those are just some of the things I would tell myself but most importantly I would say “Kristen, believe in yourself. No one knows what you are truly capable of but yourself and doubt is just a surefire way to watch yourself fail. You know that you want to be a successful opera singer one day, so do it. Go for it all the way.” Maybe she will listen and maybe she won’t but at least she will have a seed planted in her that will help her to success.

Shea

Interesting as they come from different backgrounds but one thing we share in common is our deafness for the most of the students here.

The advice I would give out is to make sure to not rush throughout your high school years. But, you should prepare and start taking things seriously once you start thinking of or applying to colleges/universities. I also would advise people to be true to themselves and try to reach their goals without letting the barriers get in the way. Not only that, every one of us should explore life and what it has to offer us. Do not take any thing for granted but just go out and discover things. Lastly, do well in school as the GPA is really important for many things in the future. We all also should have financial aid, budget plan, scholarships and such things ready before you go to a higher level in school. To conclude this all, I believe that college will really open your mind and mark an highlight in your life.

I would consider the food here as one of the worst qualities, dorms as well.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self I would only have a few things to say. First of all, pay attention in your senior chemistry class as much as possible and don't act like it is a blow off class. Once you get to your anatomy and physiology class your freshman year of college, you need basic chemistry knowledge and it really sucks when you don't have that knowledge because you coasted through that chem class your senior year. Second, you were not prepared for college style papers while in highschool, they are tough. So just watch out for that one. I would also say, be wary of those college boys. You thought highschool boys were bad? College fellers are just looking to go out to the bars everynight, and trust me, that isn't going to be your style in college. I would also say not to worry too much about it being completely different. College is enjoyable if you work hard and attend class. DO NOT BLOW OFF CLASSES! IT DOES NOT END WELL IN THE GRADEBOOK IN COLLEGE! Good Luck!

Jesse

In the big picture, I believe Gallaudet is struggling right now with its image as the cultural Deaf Mecca where everyone signs pure ASL and attends Deaf Power rallies and the encroaching reality of a deaf world that is changing; more students coming from mainstreamed backgrounds with weaker signing skills, oral backgrounds, and avid users of amplification technology. There is a deep ideological clash between these two camps and it results in a very fractured social scene; over there are the hearing kids, here are the oral hard-of-hearing, there are the late signers, over there are the mainstreamed ASL-users, there are those who sign SEE, those have Deaf parents...and so on.

From what I can tell the student body is extremely diverse in terms of race, ethnicity, nationality, American geography, communication preference, age, sexual orientation and gender identity, disability, educational background, and language. Unfortunately, those differences often seem to hang there like the "elephant in the room" and I mostly see students breaking off to be with other students who are culturally similar. The student body is not very politically active, unless it has something to do with deaf issues.

Students associated in any way with Speech Science: Prepare to go up against a wave of resentment. You can either stay and fight, try to change minds and attitudes about what it means to be a culturally sensitive SLP or audiologist, or mentally disengage by shrugging and saying, "whatever. Not my problem." The rest of the student body will expect the latter.

Not really. The majority of the student population is audiologically deaf or hard-of-hearing, but they span the gamut culturally.

I am graduate student so my experience is probably not representative of the average undergraduate, but my impression is that the majority of academics have been really, really easy. As a rule, professors have been standoffish and not very interested in teaching. Homework assignments are often reading comprehension checks and there is rarely time for creative discussion.

I am not a good judge of this one - football games seem popular. There is a vibrant party scene. Gallaudet is in the middle of DC, though, a lot of people take their social lives off-campus.

Everyone is Deaf and really into the Deaf-power movement.

Through my college experience I have not achieved much it has been chaos deciding what I would like to pursue, what my interests are, and what is going to be neeeded down the road. I started out majoring in business, and ill be honest I was being lazy and did not want to take some of the harder classes. I then changed my major to Early childhood education, that was going well until I found out that one of my co workers at Red Robin was a fifth grade teacher. I decided I wasn't going to go to school and pay all this money to work a second job in the end anyway. So with help from my advisors, and a little time off, I have decided to pursue in the medical field. I have chosen to start out with a medical receptionist certificate and work my way up to being a medical assistant. Even though it has been hectic I have valued being in college because I know after all of my hard work I will be going somewhere where I can help others and that I will enjoy.

Gallaudet University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.