Washington, DC

Gallaudet University

« See more reviews of Gallaudet University

Figure out what your priorites are about the schools you attend; do you want a social life, discover your identity, work toward a career goal or the cultural experience from the city/area the school's in? Once you narrow those down you can look at which schools meet those criteria and go from there. Also a visit to the campus is strongly suggested- an overnight visit. That way you can get a peek of what the nightlife is like, even if it's from an outsider's point of view. Also you could ask to meet with a professor and perhaps ask for a sample of a syllabus just to get a feel of what a course's expectations are like. That can make a difference for a syllabus can reveal the amount of homeworks, teaching style and rules in a classroom. Some schools are a great deal more flexible than others. Others impose more homeworks, projects or some prefer a seminar style discussion. If you're interested in an extracurricular activity, go to their offices and find out how it operates and see if you can get involved. All of those factors can help one decide.

Honestly? Don't stress about it. College IS a significant change from high school, that's for sure, but if you take it all in stride, you'll do just fine. I know the advice I just presented was cliched, but it rings true. From my perspective, a parent shouldn't pressure the child to go to a specific college, but instead, have the child follow his/her heart. Also, do VISIT. It may cost money, but it'll be worth it, as first impressions do count. For new students coming into college - again, this is very cliched, but BE YOURSELF. Don't worry about impressing others. Be friendly, but don't be a "yes-man" - set your own boundaries, and be strong amid peer pressure (which, I believe, is strongest among freshmen). Feel free not to follow the crowd - if you don't like to drink, that's OK! I don't, either. It's not the end of the world. One more advice - DON'T SLEEP THROUGH YOUR CLASSES. I cannot emphasize this enough - it's addictive, tempting, and it hurts your GPA. Believe me, I know - I've been there. Best of luck, and just think CONFIDENCE.

When you're choosing a college, don't think about the kind of person you are when you're in high school - think about the kind of person you would like to become. If you want to be a high-powered executive, go to a school with a good program and a lot of prestige. If you want to be an artist, go to an art school in a cultural capital. If you really just want to be Joe Sixpack, go to a public school - you'll get the best experience with all kinds of people. If you truly, sincerely want to party, go to a party school. Who knows what you'll end up like later, but you'll definitely have had the best experience of your life at a party school. College is about leaving youth behind and becoming an adult, so focus on your future, not on how you are today. You'll find that choosing the right college can make a difference in a lot of things - money, finances, romance, and happiness. Choose carefully, choose well, and choose for YOU...not for your parents. (Parents, don't choose for your kids! Let them pick.)

The advice i would give myself as a highschool senior would be to do the exact same thing i already have done. go to the community college to start off because its cheaper, but i would have liked to tell myself to apply for more scholarships ahead of time, i didnt know you could apply for scholarships so early, i didnt know there was so many , you just had to take the initiative to look for them and fill them out. I would tell myself to not spend as much money, dont go out to eat even though you feel like you dont have time to make a meal between work and school, but that 5 dollars here and there would save up and help pay for college. Though i have finished 2 years of college and am currently dept free, I would have loved for someone to tell me to save my money better.College may seem a lot at first, but once you get in the swing of things its not as hard an overwhelming as it feels at first, just relax, take a breath, and make sure you set your priorities, you'll get through it.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self I would only have a few things to say. First of all, pay attention in your senior chemistry class as much as possible and don't act like it is a blow off class. Once you get to your anatomy and physiology class your freshman year of college, you need basic chemistry knowledge and it really sucks when you don't have that knowledge because you coasted through that chem class your senior year. Second, you were not prepared for college style papers while in highschool, they are tough. So just watch out for that one. I would also say, be wary of those college boys. You thought highschool boys were bad? College fellers are just looking to go out to the bars everynight, and trust me, that isn't going to be your style in college. I would also say not to worry too much about it being completely different. College is enjoyable if you work hard and attend class. DO NOT BLOW OFF CLASSES! IT DOES NOT END WELL IN THE GRADEBOOK IN COLLEGE! Good Luck!

I think about this all the time. What if I could go back in time and give my senior in high school self some advice? There are so many things that I would want to say. “Do NOT make the mistake of eating at that Chinese restaurant downtown; you will get the worst food poisoning ever!” “Don’t take the job at the retail store the manager is crazy!!” “The best friend of your life will be Leigha and you will meet her your second year of college she will be amazing and give you amazing support for your aspirations!” Those are just some of the things I would tell myself but most importantly I would say “Kristen, believe in yourself. No one knows what you are truly capable of but yourself and doubt is just a surefire way to watch yourself fail. You know that you want to be a successful opera singer one day, so do it. Go for it all the way.” Maybe she will listen and maybe she won’t but at least she will have a seed planted in her that will help her to success.

Through my college experience I have not achieved much it has been chaos deciding what I would like to pursue, what my interests are, and what is going to be neeeded down the road. I started out majoring in business, and ill be honest I was being lazy and did not want to take some of the harder classes. I then changed my major to Early childhood education, that was going well until I found out that one of my co workers at Red Robin was a fifth grade teacher. I decided I wasn't going to go to school and pay all this money to work a second job in the end anyway. So with help from my advisors, and a little time off, I have decided to pursue in the medical field. I have chosen to start out with a medical receptionist certificate and work my way up to being a medical assistant. Even though it has been hectic I have valued being in college because I know after all of my hard work I will be going somewhere where I can help others and that I will enjoy.

My advice I would give parents or student about this right college about education and social, life is short. Balance is a must for students' mind to do well in school and do the physical too. I will make sure that they prepare for money then it would be not a problem for them to leave school. This school is really very expensive, I encourage them to go there for one year how they like or not. this school is one of best for deaf community and networking for career jobs that they can find the most. It help students improve who they are and being a confident in themselves as whatever they wanted to be such like a teacher or anything, its up to them. I like this school that gave me a lot of support for me to do well in school and get my degree, it will do the same thing for their daugther or son go through. this BA degree does not matter this time because they look for MA degree more specific such like deaf education or law education or anything.

I had the opportunity of attending other universities but there is one thing Gallaudet University has that other universities do not have. My college experience at Gallaudet University has been valuable due to the fact it has allowed me access to teachers who can sign. As a deaf student, I have been allowed full access to teachers without an interpeter by my side. I obtained the advantage of being able to speak out on my own than to speak through a 3rd party member to relay information. I was able to learn more at an accelerated pace without having to worry about having an interpeter during a meeting or during classtime. This is valuable use of my time for my college experience at Gallaudet University. I greatly appreciate my time at Gallaudet University and wish for this type of exposure to expand throughout the United States to allow me to have the same valuable resources at other universities.

My advice for the parents and the future students, go and visit all of the college that your child wants to go. For the students, do not be afraid to ask questions about the college that you want to go. Go and talk to some students and the professors too. Check on-line when they're having open house for students. Ask the Acedemic Advisors what kind of majors they have and what do they teach in those courses. Also, for the students, try not to think that you have to homework all the time but its not true. You will have the best time of your life. you will make a lot of friends there and they will help you through it. You wont feel left out in college, you just have to put your mind into your school work and how bad you want your degree. Your grades really matter in school and for your future. Go to college is a good idea for your next step in your life.