Washington, DC

Gallaudet University

« See more reviews of Gallaudet University

I have received a lot of advices as I graduated high school and to be Gallaudet University bound.. and a lot of them turned out to be great. However, there was one advice that I never received and I kinda wish I did. The advice is to, "do more of what you enjoy the most".. .. I loved working on random video edits, filming, and creating any form of media.. However, I only did most of them for the class assignments.. and it took me full three years in college before I realized I should continue to do that outside of the classroom but wtih my own projects with no "grade" to "worry" about. It turned out that my work was better, and more infulential. That made an impact in my classrom work, as well. My profitilo had gotten thicker with my own outside-of-the-classroom work, as well. That is the advice I wish I had gotten.

I made one of biggest mistake by focus solely on Gallaudet University because it is only deaf university in the entire world. I realized that I could grab the opporunity to visit other universities that might provide best opporunities for me in every aspects of my life. My biggest advices for every prospective college students and their families, please keep your options open by visiting several universities or colleges before make the final decision. The decision you make on which college you want to go will probably stick with you unless you are willing to start all over by transfer to different university. In addition, always remember your true identify and don't change your own identify because someone tell you to do that because your identify will always stick with you, while peers might or might not.

The advice I would give out is to make sure to not rush throughout your high school years. But, you should prepare and start taking things seriously once you start thinking of or applying to colleges/universities. I also would advise people to be true to themselves and try to reach their goals without letting the barriers get in the way. Not only that, every one of us should explore life and what it has to offer us. Do not take any thing for granted but just go out and discover things. Lastly, do well in school as the GPA is really important for many things in the future. We all also should have financial aid, budget plan, scholarships and such things ready before you go to a higher level in school. To conclude this all, I believe that college will really open your mind and mark an highlight in your life.

I would advise parents to make a concerted effort to accompany their child on a campus search when they start to apply for college. It is very important that parents have a comfortable feel for the surroundings and the atmosphere where their child will spend the majority of their time for the next two to four years. I think parents have more insight into the education process and are able to conduct conversations and possibly raise questions that the student might not even think about. It is important for parents to stay in touch with the student throughout the entire process, even after selection of the school. Parents are the first role model in a childs life and I dont think that their child ever stops looking to them for guidance and assistance.

i would strongly encourage students to experience the dorm life in order to explore what they want to do in the future. It is the only time that they can analyze their inner-self and decides for their future. Beside than dorm life, the parents should support their child's academic future by seeking which university/college will be suitable for their career choice. Sometimes their child will be in a stage where they will feel frustration of parents making decisions for them, but do make sure to include them into your discussions. Always talk with them and it will help with the process of choosing the best choice.

Visit the university/college before you decide where to attend! Make sure you know what you want to be in future, so you will be able to find which university/college to fit you the most. Check with your finanical aid to be able to pay and able to prepare ahead of time. It is not always easy to find student loan or anything that will pay you full. When you enroll university/college you pick, I strongly encourage you to participate events as much as you can to grab every opportunity to experience at university/college! Those years are only a dot of your life, grab it! Basically, make a right choice.

It is all right to make mistakes. If you are unsure with choosing right college or major for yourself, you can always change or transfer. College is all about personal growth and it is guarantee for someone to discover a big part about themselves in their lives, goals, and future. It is important to take your time and take one semester at a time; think carefully about what you want. Don't ever feel afraid to seek for help with decision making, comfort, and future planning; everyone is available if you look for it. It is a promise, you are not alone or feel those feelings alone.

I got a lot of things out of college; such as friends, independent, finding yourself and more. It's so valuable to attend to this college because we're a small school, and we are close knit with each other. Everyone is there for each other. The professors are a great help! They help you with a lot of thing, like homework or just being someone that can be there for you. If you come to this college, you won't regret it as long as you can control yourself at the parties.

The advice that I would give to myself is not to limit myself to what I can do. And, search out for scholarships that would assist with the expenses to complete my education. I would beed to get involved in different kind of activities that would enhance my resume as I prepare to graduate. Also, do not be afraid to step out to explore my interests and passion. The college education is there for me to explore about what my passion and desires to accomplish.

My cultural experience and identity have been defined through attending this school. I would probably still be at a loss who who I am and my importance to my family and friends, if I did not attend Gallaudet. My social experiences at the school have shown me what needs to be done in the world, and my classes and college experiences have shown me how I can go about doing that. I can't really imagine myself not attending Gallaudet for my undergraduate years.