Erie, PA
Gannon University

Video courtesy of Gannon University.

Gannon University is a Catholic, Diocesan university dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Faculty and staff prepare students to be global citizens through learning that emphasizes faith, leadership, inclusiveness and social responsibility.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gannon University

Fixed  rate loan

Kelsey

Gannon University is unique, because they are a Catholic liberal studies University. This school makes their students diverse. Students take Theology, Philosophy, and Fine Arts classes. This school makes a student well-rounded. Gannon is very active in the community. Most of the clubs at Gannon University invovled community service and raising money for the community. Gannon has a lot of diversity not only with classes but also with students.

I would tell myself to not stress so much about being able to get through college. It is easy to make friends and acclimate to the college type workload. You do have to study more but everyone else at college has to study just as much so it makes it easy to study in groups. Get involved as much as possible. This will help the transition become more enjoyable and this will help make more friends. Get a job on campus to help with the cost of books and food. College is a big change but it only takes a couple weeks until it just seems like regular school. College is enjoyable as long as you can manage your time.

This univeristy is well diversed school. This school makes a person well-rounded. This university makes a student schedule classes outside of his or her major, such as philosophy and fine arts. Gannon University wants their students to succeed, so they help their students in any way that they can. A person who wants to succeed in life and make life long friends should attend Gannon University. A person who wants to get invovled with the community should attend Gannon University. Any person would be proud to be an alumni of Gannon University.

My classmates are all very inviting, amusing, outgoing, and very open to making friends and studying with one another.

Advide i would give to myself was to be open minded and not be so anxious about the first semester of college. Although, everyone is usually nervous, the experience is never as harsh as it seems to be.

The worst thing about Gannon University in my eyes would be walking from class to class in the frigid cold, although, the walkways are always paved and kept clear!

Brandy

It is a prestigious school with a great environment. It provides the best education with a religious backgroud. All students are required to take at least one sacred scripture class, which provides a strong basic education in theology. Some students, such as myself, wish to continue their religious education. This school provides the best education in Erie, PA with a highly valued degree.

The advice I would give my self would be to learn to manage my time better. College puts all the responsibility on the student, which I knew before I went to college, but it didn't realize how much time was required to study for each class. Managing time wisely is a key component to succeeding in college.

I wish I would have known how great of a school I was going to attend. I wish I would have been more prepared for how great of a school I was going to attend. It has the perfect balance of education and clubs and activities.

Zachery

Gannon university is the perfect school for me and my personality.

Gannon university is the perfect school for me and my personality.

Gannon university is just big enough to get the hands on experience. Gannon is not to big and not to small. The class rooms are just about as big as a high school class room. This gives us stedents the opportunity to ask questions and get help from the professor. The facaulty and staff here are very helpful and wise. They give great advise on situations that college students go through. With Gannon being a Catholic school it gives the surrounding area a very nice religous atmosphere.

My first advise to myself is to be open and be me. People in college find out who they really are during college. Take the hardest classes that you can to be the best at what your going to be coming out of college. The professors here at Gannon are willing to help you so do not be affraid to ask for some extra help. If your professor is not available then get extra help with a tutor. When you are able after football season get into other clubs that will be good to place on your resume for your future job or jobs.

Nikki

I got a lot of financial aid, but still cannot afford it.

I got a lot of financial aid, but still cannot afford it.

Nikki, you need to live on campus. You are being very financially responsible and all, but for just one year, live on campus. You can meet so many friends there. You work so hard every week. It is hard doing 50 hours a week to afford college, but you will be so happy. As it gets closer and closer to graduation, and as you start looking at graduate schools and their cost, it gets easier living at home and saving up money. You also meet a lot of people through your program. When you have two years with the same 100 students, you get to know a lot of them. It does kind of stink that it took so long. Take the extra time to be in as many extra curricular activities as you can, even if you think you can't, it always works out. Study hard, keep up on research. You'll have so much fun training dogs, researching fish, interning atTamarack Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, and doing everything else. I can never wait to see what you do next. We really do amaze me some times with the things we can fit in a week.

Someone who is outgoing to make friends

Hailey

Growing up I always succeeded in school. Once in high school I started to become lazy and realized that, since school came so easy to me, I could maintain good grades without much effort. Going into college, just as I had been warned, I was not ready. The transition from high school to living on my own and college was not any easy one. I was easily stressed and made plenty of irresponsible decisions when it came to taking my education seriously. Knowing what I do now about that transition, I have so much advise that I would give to my high school self. I would advise myself on the financial struggle of living on your own, you are working to live, and that is stressful. I would advise myself to be careful in forming lazy habits as, in college, the work load is on you. You have to take responsibility for what is required of you and that requires commitment. What I had the hardest time with was this commitment to education. In college you have to be accountable for yourself, no one is reminding you to get things done. I learned these lessons the hard way.

maria

I love the fact that my school is releivly small. That means smaller classroom and the fact that the teacher are easily contacted. Also this school was the only school in my area that offered a social work program.

If today I was a high school senior on the verge of college knowing what I know now would have helped me a great deal. I would have told myself that it is ok and necessary to ask for help the teacher is there to help you not judge you. I would have not let myself stress so much and told myself that it is necessary to be yourself not what you think others expect or would like you to be. College doesn't have to be stressful like you many people make it out to be, and if you do everything on time you can have a great social life. Get involved, get out of your comfort zone, make friends, this will help you not feel like a stranger. Don't isolate yourself all college students are in the same boat, being part of a community only helps you.

I love the fact that my school is releivly small. That means smaller classroom and the fact that the teacher are easily contacted. Also the teacher for the most part are extremly friendly and always willing to help.

Margaret

There is always something to do in Erie!

There is always something to do in Erie!

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say one thing, based on what I know now. The first important piece of advice would be to never settle for less. No matter what sort of obstacles you face, you can achieve anything you put your mind to. I never had the best grades in high school, and my standardized tests were not that good either. When I got to college it was a major shocker to me how much my roomates studied, because I never studied that much. My first semester I did okay, and passed my classes. My second semester my freshman year was a different story. I had to take a math course. Math has never been my strong suit, but I knew I had to do good in the class. I knew the percaussions would not be good if I didn't do good. I set a goal to myself that I needed to improve. Everyday I would be at the library for hours on end, and most of the time untill it closed. I studied so hard that semester, I made the Dean's List!

The class size is perfect! There is no more than 50 kids at the most in one class. You are not a number here, the professors actually know you by your name!

Timothy

Seeing how I have not had a class session yet it is hard to describe someone who I have not met. However, I have met plenty of current students outside of the collegiate field who give a great impression of what is to come. Being varied in grade levels each student poses his or her own great experiences of the university and makes myself want to be a part of it.

I would tell my younger self to bust my butt in my academics!!! I skated by with my studies and never really understood the importance of my grades until my first semester at college. Even then, I did not really grasp the importance of grades. Be more active in social clubs and organizations which could have aided in my devotion to the college lifestyle, and not partying. Have a focus in every field of study rather than gym class because now that I am graduate with a BA in History it would have propelled my knowledge to spend more time reading and learning of historical events rather than playing video games. Look into and apply to more than one college/institute. Relying on the first and only college of my choice was not the wisest and to this day I regret attending. Not only did it have negative overall effects on my GPA but also exposed me to harsh conditions which left me in a poor mental state on my future in college and in long term living. Overall, the most important factor would be to not hate schooling. This is what is giving me and my past a future.

Honestly, the semester just began and I have yet to have my first class so all I can base my decision on is the administrators that I have dealt with to this point. If the rest of the school is a reflection of the administration then I am happy to be attending. Never have I received such attention and caring when applying to an institution and step by step instruction on what exactly was needed on my part was amazing. I can tell that this will be my favorite educational facility that I have attended to this point.

My classmates, the class of 2016, are people that I have grown to share my every day with. Looking back on my freshman year, they are exactly the people that I wanted to make and to share my memories with. My classmates are compassionate, goal oriented, and intellectually driven individuals. But, most importantly they are people who believe in the possibilities.

Freshman year in college was one of the scariest and the most overwhelming years of my life. Which can be quite shocking, considering just three months earlier I had been living out the best year of my life as a high school senior. Looking back at what I know now, if I had been given the chance to go back in time to give myself advice for college as a high school senior, I wouldnt. I would not change a single thing. That's the funny thing about growing up and becoming independent, I never knew where the next day, hour, or even the next minute would take me. The only thing I knew was what my parents had taught me all those years at home, and that at college, it was finally MY time to show everyone what I was made of. Nobody can give good advice about freshman year. Personally I learned that you have to roll with the punches, drink really strong coffee, and learn how to manage your time wisely. Everybody experiences freshman year differently, at different speeds, in bigger and better ways. Freshman year is simply all about embracing each and every opportunity you encounter.

People of every race, personality, and background attend Gannon. It is a school for people of every kind, and it makes the University very diverse and interesting. Our Univeristy appeals to many different kinds of people, just because Gannon is a catholic college does not mean that it is only for those of a catholic background. As a Sophomore at Gannon, I can say that there is not necessarily one kind of person that should attend the school, but rather hundreds of kinds of different, and intelligent groups of people.

Gannon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.