Erie, PA
Gannon University

Video courtesy of Gannon University.

Gannon University is a Catholic, Diocesan university dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Faculty and staff prepare students to be global citizens through learning that emphasizes faith, leadership, inclusiveness and social responsibility.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gannon University

Fixed  rate loan

Hailey

Growing up I always succeeded in school. Once in high school I started to become lazy and realized that, since school came so easy to me, I could maintain good grades without much effort. Going into college, just as I had been warned, I was not ready. The transition from high school to living on my own and college was not any easy one. I was easily stressed and made plenty of irresponsible decisions when it came to taking my education seriously. Knowing what I do now about that transition, I have so much advise that I would give to my high school self. I would advise myself on the financial struggle of living on your own, you are working to live, and that is stressful. I would advise myself to be careful in forming lazy habits as, in college, the work load is on you. You have to take responsibility for what is required of you and that requires commitment. What I had the hardest time with was this commitment to education. In college you have to be accountable for yourself, no one is reminding you to get things done. I learned these lessons the hard way.

maria

I love the fact that my school is releivly small. That means smaller classroom and the fact that the teacher are easily contacted. Also this school was the only school in my area that offered a social work program.

If today I was a high school senior on the verge of college knowing what I know now would have helped me a great deal. I would have told myself that it is ok and necessary to ask for help the teacher is there to help you not judge you. I would have not let myself stress so much and told myself that it is necessary to be yourself not what you think others expect or would like you to be. College doesn't have to be stressful like you many people make it out to be, and if you do everything on time you can have a great social life. Get involved, get out of your comfort zone, make friends, this will help you not feel like a stranger. Don't isolate yourself all college students are in the same boat, being part of a community only helps you.

I love the fact that my school is releivly small. That means smaller classroom and the fact that the teacher are easily contacted. Also the teacher for the most part are extremly friendly and always willing to help.

Margaret

There is always something to do in Erie!

There is always something to do in Erie!

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say one thing, based on what I know now. The first important piece of advice would be to never settle for less. No matter what sort of obstacles you face, you can achieve anything you put your mind to. I never had the best grades in high school, and my standardized tests were not that good either. When I got to college it was a major shocker to me how much my roomates studied, because I never studied that much. My first semester I did okay, and passed my classes. My second semester my freshman year was a different story. I had to take a math course. Math has never been my strong suit, but I knew I had to do good in the class. I knew the percaussions would not be good if I didn't do good. I set a goal to myself that I needed to improve. Everyday I would be at the library for hours on end, and most of the time untill it closed. I studied so hard that semester, I made the Dean's List!

The class size is perfect! There is no more than 50 kids at the most in one class. You are not a number here, the professors actually know you by your name!

Timothy

Seeing how I have not had a class session yet it is hard to describe someone who I have not met. However, I have met plenty of current students outside of the collegiate field who give a great impression of what is to come. Being varied in grade levels each student poses his or her own great experiences of the university and makes myself want to be a part of it.

I would tell my younger self to bust my butt in my academics!!! I skated by with my studies and never really understood the importance of my grades until my first semester at college. Even then, I did not really grasp the importance of grades. Be more active in social clubs and organizations which could have aided in my devotion to the college lifestyle, and not partying. Have a focus in every field of study rather than gym class because now that I am graduate with a BA in History it would have propelled my knowledge to spend more time reading and learning of historical events rather than playing video games. Look into and apply to more than one college/institute. Relying on the first and only college of my choice was not the wisest and to this day I regret attending. Not only did it have negative overall effects on my GPA but also exposed me to harsh conditions which left me in a poor mental state on my future in college and in long term living. Overall, the most important factor would be to not hate schooling. This is what is giving me and my past a future.

Honestly, the semester just began and I have yet to have my first class so all I can base my decision on is the administrators that I have dealt with to this point. If the rest of the school is a reflection of the administration then I am happy to be attending. Never have I received such attention and caring when applying to an institution and step by step instruction on what exactly was needed on my part was amazing. I can tell that this will be my favorite educational facility that I have attended to this point.

My classmates, the class of 2016, are people that I have grown to share my every day with. Looking back on my freshman year, they are exactly the people that I wanted to make and to share my memories with. My classmates are compassionate, goal oriented, and intellectually driven individuals. But, most importantly they are people who believe in the possibilities.

Freshman year in college was one of the scariest and the most overwhelming years of my life. Which can be quite shocking, considering just three months earlier I had been living out the best year of my life as a high school senior. Looking back at what I know now, if I had been given the chance to go back in time to give myself advice for college as a high school senior, I wouldnt. I would not change a single thing. That's the funny thing about growing up and becoming independent, I never knew where the next day, hour, or even the next minute would take me. The only thing I knew was what my parents had taught me all those years at home, and that at college, it was finally MY time to show everyone what I was made of. Nobody can give good advice about freshman year. Personally I learned that you have to roll with the punches, drink really strong coffee, and learn how to manage your time wisely. Everybody experiences freshman year differently, at different speeds, in bigger and better ways. Freshman year is simply all about embracing each and every opportunity you encounter.

People of every race, personality, and background attend Gannon. It is a school for people of every kind, and it makes the University very diverse and interesting. Our Univeristy appeals to many different kinds of people, just because Gannon is a catholic college does not mean that it is only for those of a catholic background. As a Sophomore at Gannon, I can say that there is not necessarily one kind of person that should attend the school, but rather hundreds of kinds of different, and intelligent groups of people.

Chelsea

The advice I would give myself would be simple-don't leave campus on the weekends for a solid month; I live about a half hour away from my univerisity. However, I frequentely left to work on the weekends in my home town and to spend time with my boyfriend. During those weekends, I missed inside jokes between friends, late-night trips to McDonald's, and quality bonding time with my new acquaintances. Because I went home to much, I was unable to form quick friendships. I was not until my second semester of my freshman year that I met a close friend. Those first few weekends allow freshman, new to campus, to explore their university together while they explore budding friendships.

The price is too much and the finaical aid office does a poor job

Tania

I wouldcertainly tell myself to not take for granted the time that is give over all. I would definitaly apply to as many scholarships as I possibly could. I would also tell myself to get into the habit of studying, becuase that is the only way one will be able to be successful in college. There is really nothing I would really change or try to improve, because I was a big nerd in highschool. Athough there was times where i did procrastinate. One thing I would tell myself though is to READ a lot. To get into the habit of reading, because that is what college is all about. I would also tel myself to look for two jobs if possible, becasue college is expensive.

Kari

As a college student advising my high school self I would tell myself to study more, to get involved in more clubs, and to focus on my future. Now that I am in college I have already switched my major. I couldn't adjust from high school accounting to college accounting to make it into a career. If I would have focused more in school and studied, I would have been able to make the transition to college life of homework and studying. I also would have told myself to get more involved with things around the school. I was in band and golf, however that didn't put myself out there enough like I should be able to do in college to get to know more people and put more things on my resume for my future career.

Andrea

My classmates are all so different in a sense that each person is one-of-a-kind where no two people are alike making Gannon one of the best colleges to not only recieve an excellent education, but make many memories that are gaurunteed to last a lifetime.

What's unique about Gannon is that they offer something for everybody looking for a bright future. It does not matter who you are or where you come from, there is something for all types of students. Gannon gives you the skills to succeed in whatever you choose to pursue. All of the professors are willing to help you if you're having a tough time in a class. In addition, Gannon is a diverse and close knit campus. It's that type of campus where everyone knows each other and comes from different cultural backgrounds you can learn about.

As a high school senior, I could definitely feel a strong case of senioritis coming on and my heavy class schedule did not make the senioritis any better. I basically doubled up on science classes (Physics and Anatomy and Physiology) and took two International Baccalaureate (IB) classes which made the year pass by very slowly with the work loads they came with. Almost every night during the week, I would be up past 1:00am studying for exams, completing math computations, and writing several essays. After the first term was over, I had grown very frustrated and did not want to do the work any longer. I could not wait for college to begin! But looking back at my high school career, I am very glad I had gone through this difficult time. If I had the chance to speak with my high school self, I would say keep working hard and doing what you're doing because it will for sure pay off in the end. High school has prepared you for college, without a doubt. However, college will not be as easy and you still have to work hard. There are so much waiting for you at college!

Anthony

It is a small school, which makes it easy to make friends and work independently with your teachers.

Knowing what I know now, I would have made sure that I did everything I could in high school to get ready for college. I also would have tried to apply for scholarships earlier. The transition between high school and college was hard at first, but I feel that I have learned a lot in school and also learned to be more independent. A difference between the two that I was unaware of in high school was the change in study habits. In college you have more time given to you before the next time you have that class, but you have a lot more information to look over. My study habits really changed when going from high school to college.

I wish I had known that there were more social events provided on campus when you first start school.

Gannon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.