Erie, PA
Gannon University

Video courtesy of Gannon University.

Gannon University is a Catholic, Diocesan university dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Faculty and staff prepare students to be global citizens through learning that emphasizes faith, leadership, inclusiveness and social responsibility.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gannon University

Fixed  rate loan

Kenzie

Believe in yourself and do not stress as much. If you know the material you know it, do not psyche yourself out by overlearning the material. Anxiety and sleep deprivation to study for a test over and over again is not worth it, because you already know the material. Just believe. Stay focused and keep using your note cards for tests, they help you out a ton. If you keep the notecards when you are all done, you do not have to make them for the final making yourself just a little bit more prepared than everybody else. When it comes down to it, just have fun, stay on top of all your assignments and it will be a breeze. Utilize your planner to avoid any extra stress.

Gannon University is the perfect place for anybody who likes diversity, small class sizes, and a lot of social events. Almost every weekend there is something somewhere going on. The city atmosphere provides nearby access to a lot of different food places, stores, other places of entertainment. Plus with your Gannon ID you are able to ride the city bus for free, to open even more opportunities to get out and enjoy the city.

The only kind of people that shouldn't attend Gannon are those who are extrememly against learning able to the bible and catholic traditions. It is a required grouping of classes, and since Gannon is a Catholic Institution there is no getting excused from those classes.

Corey

My advice would be to sign up for scholarships sooner. It dosen't hurt to sign up early and you might increase the chance of getting a scholarship. Also I would tell myself to apply for many scholarships possible. Applying for alot of scholarships doesn't hurt and it increases your ability to get accepted for more money. The transition isn't easy and its something you must be ready for. It's hard work but it's all worth it because in the end you can end up with a Degree.

There isn't any thing bad about Gannon. I love Gannon and my experience here has been fantastic so far.

I would brag that Gannon is a small school. Its good because you can make friends and have individual interactions with the teachers. That is key because at large university teachers don't interact with students because of the large population. Another reason why i would brag is because of the diversity at Gannon. Gannon has a wide variety of different cultures which makes your stay all the better. Also due to the diversity you can also understand different ways of life and make better friendships.

Chelsea

All the other schools I looked at were known for their football team/program or other sports programs over their academics. I didn't want to go to a school where the faculty and staff cared more about football than what is going on in the classroom. At Gannon, there is a balance between academics, sports and other extra-curricular activities. Life is all about balance and one part of our lives should never drastically exceed the other parts of our lives.

The college transition will be a lot easier if you are willing to let go of the past and embrace the future. If the friends you had in high school really care about you, then they will be there for you forever. You need to be open to making new friends while not forgetting about your friends at home. Making new friends is a wonderful experience because you have the ability to meet people of different backgrounds, cultures, experiences and personalities. But the most difficult thing that I learned was that people change when they go to college and turn into the people that they were destined to be. So the friendships and connections we had with people from high school are going to change as we get older, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. But this is a part and there is nothing we can do but cherish the memories of the past and look forward to the future. The past was holding me back from my future for too long and I only wish that I would have been able to move on sooner.

The worst thing about Gannon University is the location. The summers are wonderful and the beach access is very enjoyable. However, the winters are horrendous. Because of Lake Erie, the winters are very intense and cold. Snow is measured in feet and not in inches here, and the wind is so strong sometimes that you can't even see. One of my jobs is babysitting in the mornings before classes and the snow sometimes makes it hard and dangerous to drive to work. One positive aspect of Gannon is that it is small and the buildings are close together.

Brittany, I know life has been rough the last couple of years but things will get better in the end. When you think about school, don't say "well I'm going to take a year from school then go back". Try going to Oklahoma City Community College to get your basics taken care of then go for a degree in business. Two years is too long to wait to go back. It may stress you but it will be worth it in the long run. You'll be able to walk around with your degree and say "I have my Hookah Lounge" open. You should think about it.

Of all significant lessons learned, one of the lessons that I have obtained happened while gazing at two people have a dispute at a project workshop. During attending the voccational program at my high school, one of the assignments that students had to complete was to bestow an elderly person with a free massage at the nursing home. While at the nursing home, a female student untimely ceased massaging one side of their client’s body. The female student did not communicate with her partner that she wanted to have the male client turn over onto his back. She elevated the client’s leg promptly. The client rolled over onto the floor and blood surged from the client’s leg. Both students became flustered as the teacher made her way to their massage table to ask what had happened. The students never finished giving the client a full 40 minute massage. While listening to the students bicker, I gained knowledge that: “Body language speaks” … “Never squabble with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.” When a person is angry, he or she should keep their composure---the greatest life advice toward making a positive transition.

Anyone who wants to get a serious education, anyone who is young and who is still trying to figure out who they are or where they belong in the stages of life should attend Gannon University. Anyone who has a dream, belief, and the willpower to make a difference in furthering their education despite the negative comments from their peers should attend Gannon University. It is always great when a student has a dream and then follows through in action. Believe in the possibilities is my vision as well as Gannon University's vision.

Paying for a meal plan as a commuter is frustrating. A semester meal plan cost is $4,900, the cheapest meal plan is $800. At home the cost of my parents groceries is $600 for 4 months (1 semester) and provides for five people. If I am living off campus, I do not need a meal plan of ANY kind. I need the basics--not a buffet! It is ironic that in gen-ed courses students are taught about financial budget management on how to save money wisely, but the school is wasting the students money on a frivolous fee.

Chelsea

Dear Chelsea, You're a senior in high school now. This is such an exciting time in your life. So my advice to you: relax. You spent your entire high school career packing your schedule and studying like crazy. You've made it now and college is just around the corner. Enjoy the time you have left with your closest friends and be excited about starting a new chapter to your life. This is your time to shine. You love learning, sometimes, I think it's even your passion. High school was great, but college with become a new kind of learning at an intensity that will exhaust and enthrall you.

Before I came to Gannon, I wish I would have known the Erie area better. It's fascinating discovering local businesses, but I would save so much time if I knew more. There are so many resources in downtown Erie for college students. Sometimes, I feel like I'm missing out.

Anyone refusing to keep an open mind about religion shouldn't attend this school. Gannon is a Catholic school, although they have very open-minded policies, they do have certain requirements and restrictions that other nonaffiliated schools lack. For example, the first month of school we have "Freshmen Hours" where we have to be in our dorm rooms by 11:30 on a week night. Also, a few religious courses are requirements for graduation, such as Introduction to Sacred Scriptures.

Molly

Study. Do your homework. Make school a first priority. I wish I studied more and concentrated on my studies. I also wish I thought about college before I graduated from high school so when I went it was not a rushed, confused process because even now I am still not sure if I am doing anything right. I feel behind in all my classes, like I never learned information that they already expect students to know.

Non-stressful atmosphere. The campus is very small, so I do not have to trek really far to get to places.

It is in the center of Erie and close to events, activities and fun.

Iynez

If I was a senior and had the oppurtunity to consult my fellow graduates, I would emphazise on staying focus and volunteering your time. Many people out of High School will take any job given to them to help make ends meet. Not many focus on a job that corresponces to the education path they want to take. I would try to get them to fist sit down and decide what you want to do in life and what your call may be, and from there encourage the students to volunteer in that area first. Wether, it is volunteering for a hospital because you want to become a RN or wether one wants to volunteer as a firefighter or even in the court system. The reason I would focus on this is because it will give them a better understanding early in life if this is something that they trully want. Not only that, but also it will help when one graduates college to have that hands on experience when setting of on your journey.

Although I will be new to this university, I would have loved to know where we could apply to get more scholarships, also it would have been nice if there was a place where all the students (roommates)could log in and chat to get to know each other :)

Individuals who attend this university should be focused and enthusiastic about making their dreams come true!

Kerry

I would tell myself to never give up. Remember your goal in life: to become a teacher. There are so many opportunities to succeed at Gannon, so take advantage of as much as you can. Do not be afraid to ask questions; the professors know what they are talking about and are there to help you. When you get discouraged by the workload, stay determined because it will all pay off in the long run. Finally, do not forget who you are and where you came from. Stay true to your morals and thank your family for supporting you through this wonderful journey!

The best thing about Gannon University is the class size. With small classes, individual attention from professors is available in and out of class. I am not embarrassed to ask questions because my classmates respect and support me as a student.

I wish I would have known about sororities. I am happy with my involvement in clubs and honor societies, but I would like more social engagement. Because I am not very close to home, I would like to make more friends to enjoy time when I am not studying.

Adam

If I had the ability to travel back in time, I would give myself the advice to be outgoing as a freshman in college. I would tell myself that my peers are in the same situation and are looking for a social outlet as well. The best advice that I recieved was to join a Fraternity. After joining the Fraternity, my social life exploded and made my college adventure a much better place. I had more friends to turn to, as well as making a network that I will be able to turn to later in life.

Before attending Gannon University, I wish that I would have been informed about the student housing agrrements. When you arrive at Gannon University as a freshman, unless you live in what is known as a commuters distance, you must live in Gannon Freshman housing. This means that you have a freshman curphew for the first four weeks of school, and also states that you must live in Gannon housing one year after your freshman year.

Gannon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.