Erie, PA
Gannon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gannon University

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Timothy

Seeing how I have not had a class session yet it is hard to describe someone who I have not met. However, I have met plenty of current students outside of the collegiate field who give a great impression of what is to come. Being varied in grade levels each student poses his or her own great experiences of the university and makes myself want to be a part of it.

I would tell my younger self to bust my butt in my academics!!! I skated by with my studies and never really understood the importance of my grades until my first semester at college. Even then, I did not really grasp the importance of grades. Be more active in social clubs and organizations which could have aided in my devotion to the college lifestyle, and not partying. Have a focus in every field of study rather than gym class because now that I am graduate with a BA in History it would have propelled my knowledge to spend more time reading and learning of historical events rather than playing video games. Look into and apply to more than one college/institute. Relying on the first and only college of my choice was not the wisest and to this day I regret attending. Not only did it have negative overall effects on my GPA but also exposed me to harsh conditions which left me in a poor mental state on my future in college and in long term living. Overall, the most important factor would be to not hate schooling. This is what is giving me and my past a future.

Honestly, the semester just began and I have yet to have my first class so all I can base my decision on is the administrators that I have dealt with to this point. If the rest of the school is a reflection of the administration then I am happy to be attending. Never have I received such attention and caring when applying to an institution and step by step instruction on what exactly was needed on my part was amazing. I can tell that this will be my favorite educational facility that I have attended to this point.

My classmates, the class of 2016, are people that I have grown to share my every day with. Looking back on my freshman year, they are exactly the people that I wanted to make and to share my memories with. My classmates are compassionate, goal oriented, and intellectually driven individuals. But, most importantly they are people who believe in the possibilities.

Freshman year in college was one of the scariest and the most overwhelming years of my life. Which can be quite shocking, considering just three months earlier I had been living out the best year of my life as a high school senior. Looking back at what I know now, if I had been given the chance to go back in time to give myself advice for college as a high school senior, I wouldnt. I would not change a single thing. That's the funny thing about growing up and becoming independent, I never knew where the next day, hour, or even the next minute would take me. The only thing I knew was what my parents had taught me all those years at home, and that at college, it was finally MY time to show everyone what I was made of. Nobody can give good advice about freshman year. Personally I learned that you have to roll with the punches, drink really strong coffee, and learn how to manage your time wisely. Everybody experiences freshman year differently, at different speeds, in bigger and better ways. Freshman year is simply all about embracing each and every opportunity you encounter.

People of every race, personality, and background attend Gannon. It is a school for people of every kind, and it makes the University very diverse and interesting. Our Univeristy appeals to many different kinds of people, just because Gannon is a catholic college does not mean that it is only for those of a catholic background. As a Sophomore at Gannon, I can say that there is not necessarily one kind of person that should attend the school, but rather hundreds of kinds of different, and intelligent groups of people.

Chelsea

The advice I would give myself would be simple-don't leave campus on the weekends for a solid month; I live about a half hour away from my univerisity. However, I frequentely left to work on the weekends in my home town and to spend time with my boyfriend. During those weekends, I missed inside jokes between friends, late-night trips to McDonald's, and quality bonding time with my new acquaintances. Because I went home to much, I was unable to form quick friendships. I was not until my second semester of my freshman year that I met a close friend. Those first few weekends allow freshman, new to campus, to explore their university together while they explore budding friendships.

The price is too much and the finaical aid office does a poor job

Tania

I wouldcertainly tell myself to not take for granted the time that is give over all. I would definitaly apply to as many scholarships as I possibly could. I would also tell myself to get into the habit of studying, becuase that is the only way one will be able to be successful in college. There is really nothing I would really change or try to improve, because I was a big nerd in highschool. Athough there was times where i did procrastinate. One thing I would tell myself though is to READ a lot. To get into the habit of reading, because that is what college is all about. I would also tel myself to look for two jobs if possible, becasue college is expensive.

Kari

As a college student advising my high school self I would tell myself to study more, to get involved in more clubs, and to focus on my future. Now that I am in college I have already switched my major. I couldn't adjust from high school accounting to college accounting to make it into a career. If I would have focused more in school and studied, I would have been able to make the transition to college life of homework and studying. I also would have told myself to get more involved with things around the school. I was in band and golf, however that didn't put myself out there enough like I should be able to do in college to get to know more people and put more things on my resume for my future career.

Andrea

My classmates are all so different in a sense that each person is one-of-a-kind where no two people are alike making Gannon one of the best colleges to not only recieve an excellent education, but make many memories that are gaurunteed to last a lifetime.

What's unique about Gannon is that they offer something for everybody looking for a bright future. It does not matter who you are or where you come from, there is something for all types of students. Gannon gives you the skills to succeed in whatever you choose to pursue. All of the professors are willing to help you if you're having a tough time in a class. In addition, Gannon is a diverse and close knit campus. It's that type of campus where everyone knows each other and comes from different cultural backgrounds you can learn about.

As a high school senior, I could definitely feel a strong case of senioritis coming on and my heavy class schedule did not make the senioritis any better. I basically doubled up on science classes (Physics and Anatomy and Physiology) and took two International Baccalaureate (IB) classes which made the year pass by very slowly with the work loads they came with. Almost every night during the week, I would be up past 1:00am studying for exams, completing math computations, and writing several essays. After the first term was over, I had grown very frustrated and did not want to do the work any longer. I could not wait for college to begin! But looking back at my high school career, I am very glad I had gone through this difficult time. If I had the chance to speak with my high school self, I would say keep working hard and doing what you're doing because it will for sure pay off in the end. High school has prepared you for college, without a doubt. However, college will not be as easy and you still have to work hard. There are so much waiting for you at college!

Anthony

It is a small school, which makes it easy to make friends and work independently with your teachers.

Knowing what I know now, I would have made sure that I did everything I could in high school to get ready for college. I also would have tried to apply for scholarships earlier. The transition between high school and college was hard at first, but I feel that I have learned a lot in school and also learned to be more independent. A difference between the two that I was unaware of in high school was the change in study habits. In college you have more time given to you before the next time you have that class, but you have a lot more information to look over. My study habits really changed when going from high school to college.

I wish I had known that there were more social events provided on campus when you first start school.

Kenzie

Believe in yourself and do not stress as much. If you know the material you know it, do not psyche yourself out by overlearning the material. Anxiety and sleep deprivation to study for a test over and over again is not worth it, because you already know the material. Just believe. Stay focused and keep using your note cards for tests, they help you out a ton. If you keep the notecards when you are all done, you do not have to make them for the final making yourself just a little bit more prepared than everybody else. When it comes down to it, just have fun, stay on top of all your assignments and it will be a breeze. Utilize your planner to avoid any extra stress.

Gannon University is the perfect place for anybody who likes diversity, small class sizes, and a lot of social events. Almost every weekend there is something somewhere going on. The city atmosphere provides nearby access to a lot of different food places, stores, other places of entertainment. Plus with your Gannon ID you are able to ride the city bus for free, to open even more opportunities to get out and enjoy the city.

The only kind of people that shouldn't attend Gannon are those who are extrememly against learning able to the bible and catholic traditions. It is a required grouping of classes, and since Gannon is a Catholic Institution there is no getting excused from those classes.

Corey

My advice would be to sign up for scholarships sooner. It dosen't hurt to sign up early and you might increase the chance of getting a scholarship. Also I would tell myself to apply for many scholarships possible. Applying for alot of scholarships doesn't hurt and it increases your ability to get accepted for more money. The transition isn't easy and its something you must be ready for. It's hard work but it's all worth it because in the end you can end up with a Degree.

There isn't any thing bad about Gannon. I love Gannon and my experience here has been fantastic so far.

I would brag that Gannon is a small school. Its good because you can make friends and have individual interactions with the teachers. That is key because at large university teachers don't interact with students because of the large population. Another reason why i would brag is because of the diversity at Gannon. Gannon has a wide variety of different cultures which makes your stay all the better. Also due to the diversity you can also understand different ways of life and make better friendships.

Chelsea

All the other schools I looked at were known for their football team/program or other sports programs over their academics. I didn't want to go to a school where the faculty and staff cared more about football than what is going on in the classroom. At Gannon, there is a balance between academics, sports and other extra-curricular activities. Life is all about balance and one part of our lives should never drastically exceed the other parts of our lives.

The college transition will be a lot easier if you are willing to let go of the past and embrace the future. If the friends you had in high school really care about you, then they will be there for you forever. You need to be open to making new friends while not forgetting about your friends at home. Making new friends is a wonderful experience because you have the ability to meet people of different backgrounds, cultures, experiences and personalities. But the most difficult thing that I learned was that people change when they go to college and turn into the people that they were destined to be. So the friendships and connections we had with people from high school are going to change as we get older, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. But this is a part and there is nothing we can do but cherish the memories of the past and look forward to the future. The past was holding me back from my future for too long and I only wish that I would have been able to move on sooner.

The worst thing about Gannon University is the location. The summers are wonderful and the beach access is very enjoyable. However, the winters are horrendous. Because of Lake Erie, the winters are very intense and cold. Snow is measured in feet and not in inches here, and the wind is so strong sometimes that you can't even see. One of my jobs is babysitting in the mornings before classes and the snow sometimes makes it hard and dangerous to drive to work. One positive aspect of Gannon is that it is small and the buildings are close together.

Gannon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.