Erie, PA
Gannon University

Video courtesy of Gannon University.

Gannon University is a Catholic, Diocesan university dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Faculty and staff prepare students to be global citizens through learning that emphasizes faith, leadership, inclusiveness and social responsibility.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gannon University

Fixed  rate loan

NICOLE

Having the chance to go back in time, I would tell myself to focus more on maintaining a good GPA, and making sure that I can take the appropriate classes and to pass them all with A's. That determination, focus, self-motivation, and a direction in college will help me succeed with the classes needed towards the career path. Organization is totally a major key and staying on top of deadlines and due dates. Applying for more scholarships and making sure financial aid is taken care of will help in the long run as well. Lastly, to create relationships with fellow students and making sure to not be afraid to ask professors questions if you do not understand something.

Jasiris

Gannon University is intended for students who want to excel in a competitive world with the help of its caring professors, beneficial environment, and opportunities.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior and provide advice regarding the transition from high school to college, I would give the following suggestions. Firstly, learn the importance of time mangement and apply it to your life. College is a very demanding place, especially when there is social and work stress placed on top of academic stress. If time isn't managed properly it'll be hard getting work done, and this will be relected on your grades. My second piece of advice is to be yourself and to develop confidence from within. Don't let others change your personal values and bring you down, because in the end all things are possible if you put your mind into it. The last important point I would like to make is that it is important to always try your best no matter what the circumstance is.

The worst things about my school is the high cost of tuition, room and board, and such applicable fees.

Shannon

A small Catholic school that emphasizes unity and friendship, where you can always find support and guidance to lead you on your way to your career

Don't stress too much about getting perfect grades or making everyone happy. College is rough, but you'll survive. You'll make plenty of great friends and have a blast. Its not hard balancing school and fun, as long as you don't take too many 8am lectures! Use the weekends to unwind and relax and catch up on the sleep you lost working on papers and homework during the week. DON'T get the biggest meal plan, you'll never use all the meals even if you stay on campus every weekend.

If you try to change your major, it takes almost a whole semester for the offices to get the paperwork straightened out.

I would start off by saying.... "Not everyone knows what they want to major in college. It's ok, that happens. The average student changes their major 3 to 6 times. What ever you do decide to go with, make sure you committ to it. College isn't just all about being serious, its as fun as you want to make it. You can join club,s participate in activities, and be active. College isn't for everyone, but if you're sure that this is what you want to do then dont let anyone hold u back from taking that wonderful opportunity."

Amber

I would tell myself that I need to extensively research my major and what the future holds. I knew what I wanted my major to be, and I still am happy with my major, but I would be sure to ask questions and be prepared with questions to ask my advisor. I would also make sure that I study. In high school I did not need to study to do well, so the transition to college was difficult. I would reassure myself that I will make friends with people I dont know and we will have so many wonderful memories together. I would remind myself to take my time and enjoy every second. I am already in my second year and miss being a freshman so much!

I wish I would have known more about my chosen major. I am in a program that allows me to recieve a bachelors of health science within 3 years at Gannon and then I apply to medical school. I wish I would have known how you go about doing that so that I would have made closer teacher relationships for letter of reccomendation reasons. I also wish I would have known how different college is from high school. As in how much harder it is. (Compared to my high school)

The worst thing about my school would be the hours of operation on the campus buildings. Because the amount of students here is not very large (about 4,000 undergrad and 2,000 graduate students) the campus does not see as many students at 'odd' hours so there are set hours for buildings. The weather is also difficult to deal with in the winter time.

My classmates in general really care about the people around them and they are always helpful if I ask them a question.

They are known for their connection between college and the Catholic religion. They are also known for their outstanding science programs

I would tell myself to not lose hope. When you apply make sure you answer the questions fully to the best of your ability. I would also tell myself to not worry over the small things and to also listen to your parents.

I would offer guidance and say that the things that I place importance on at 17 years old will soon be obsolete. I would suggest writing down my goals and then explaining them to someone. As a counselor I would also ask my younger self, where did I want to be in five years? What realistic steps would I take to be in this specific place in those five years? I wouldn’t force anything on my younger self but I would offer that guidance that I wished someone would have given me. I think that teenagers often still need direction. My older self wouldn’t hold my younger self hand, but I would recognize that this is someone who does not understand the real world and is perhaps even overwhelmed by it all. I would also encourage becoming involved with various activities so that I can become apart of the school and develop school spirit. I also believe this would be a benefit because it helps students to focus on timely graduation as well as excelling academically. What I would stress the absolute most to my younger self is to enjoy life, but think long term.

Julia

As a high schooler, many think that they are experiencing the times of their lives. At times, kids think that their actions and grades do not matter. Well, they do matter. Everything matters in college. Making the transition to college and the different atmosphere took awhile to get used to. I do not even know if I have totally adjusted to the life as a college student yet. There are many pieces of advice I would give myself if I was still a senior. First, living by yourself may seem great at first, but it is hard when you do not have your mom or dad to help with laundry, food, and daily things. Just call them and ask. Next, professors are not like high school teachers. They go at super speed, they never stop unless they have time, and they are hard to get to know. If you do not take time out of your schedule to go see them than they will not get to know you. In addition, I feel as if you make the effort with your teachers it will pay off in the end. The most important thing is to work hard and study constantly.

The best aspect of my school is the size and relationship with my professors. I love to walk around campus and see people I know and at times see some I do not. I am able to get to know my professors and talk to them. This is such an advantage because they know your name and work with you. They really get to know you and you know them so it really helps with conquering the course. They really try to help you succeed and if you work hard they know your trying. Relationship with your teacher is key.

I would have to say there is nothing so bad or horrific about Gannon. The one thing that I would think is a disadvantage is the meal plan situation for food. They have specific rules about the meals and when you can have food. I do not agree with the plan because we are paying such money and can not eat more than 3 times a day. In addition, you can only get a max of two things when you go. They also do not refund you the meals you did not use so in the end your wasting money.

Qiaosi

I would tell myself take as many advance placement class as i can during high school, also takes as many math class as i can, give myself good base background before attending college. And English is my second language, as up today, i still have language problem, if i have a chance to go back as a high shcool senior again, i would tell myself to learn more English words because at that time i have more time avaliable doing my own things other than schoolwork.

Gannon is a small school and get help a lot from falculty member, and there is variety of resources you can get help academically.

I think Gannon does not discriminating any race students, as long as you meet their criteria, you will be in good shape attending this school.

Gannon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.