Erie, PA
Gannon University

Video courtesy of Gannon University.

Gannon University is a Catholic, Diocesan university dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Faculty and staff prepare students to be global citizens through learning that emphasizes faith, leadership, inclusiveness and social responsibility.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gannon University

Fixed  rate loan

Amber

I would tell myself that I need to extensively research my major and what the future holds. I knew what I wanted my major to be, and I still am happy with my major, but I would be sure to ask questions and be prepared with questions to ask my advisor. I would also make sure that I study. In high school I did not need to study to do well, so the transition to college was difficult. I would reassure myself that I will make friends with people I dont know and we will have so many wonderful memories together. I would remind myself to take my time and enjoy every second. I am already in my second year and miss being a freshman so much!

I wish I would have known more about my chosen major. I am in a program that allows me to recieve a bachelors of health science within 3 years at Gannon and then I apply to medical school. I wish I would have known how you go about doing that so that I would have made closer teacher relationships for letter of reccomendation reasons. I also wish I would have known how different college is from high school. As in how much harder it is. (Compared to my high school)

The worst thing about my school would be the hours of operation on the campus buildings. Because the amount of students here is not very large (about 4,000 undergrad and 2,000 graduate students) the campus does not see as many students at 'odd' hours so there are set hours for buildings. The weather is also difficult to deal with in the winter time.

My classmates in general really care about the people around them and they are always helpful if I ask them a question.

They are known for their connection between college and the Catholic religion. They are also known for their outstanding science programs

I would tell myself to not lose hope. When you apply make sure you answer the questions fully to the best of your ability. I would also tell myself to not worry over the small things and to also listen to your parents.

I would offer guidance and say that the things that I place importance on at 17 years old will soon be obsolete. I would suggest writing down my goals and then explaining them to someone. As a counselor I would also ask my younger self, where did I want to be in five years? What realistic steps would I take to be in this specific place in those five years? I wouldn’t force anything on my younger self but I would offer that guidance that I wished someone would have given me. I think that teenagers often still need direction. My older self wouldn’t hold my younger self hand, but I would recognize that this is someone who does not understand the real world and is perhaps even overwhelmed by it all. I would also encourage becoming involved with various activities so that I can become apart of the school and develop school spirit. I also believe this would be a benefit because it helps students to focus on timely graduation as well as excelling academically. What I would stress the absolute most to my younger self is to enjoy life, but think long term.

Julia

As a high schooler, many think that they are experiencing the times of their lives. At times, kids think that their actions and grades do not matter. Well, they do matter. Everything matters in college. Making the transition to college and the different atmosphere took awhile to get used to. I do not even know if I have totally adjusted to the life as a college student yet. There are many pieces of advice I would give myself if I was still a senior. First, living by yourself may seem great at first, but it is hard when you do not have your mom or dad to help with laundry, food, and daily things. Just call them and ask. Next, professors are not like high school teachers. They go at super speed, they never stop unless they have time, and they are hard to get to know. If you do not take time out of your schedule to go see them than they will not get to know you. In addition, I feel as if you make the effort with your teachers it will pay off in the end. The most important thing is to work hard and study constantly.

The best aspect of my school is the size and relationship with my professors. I love to walk around campus and see people I know and at times see some I do not. I am able to get to know my professors and talk to them. This is such an advantage because they know your name and work with you. They really get to know you and you know them so it really helps with conquering the course. They really try to help you succeed and if you work hard they know your trying. Relationship with your teacher is key.

I would have to say there is nothing so bad or horrific about Gannon. The one thing that I would think is a disadvantage is the meal plan situation for food. They have specific rules about the meals and when you can have food. I do not agree with the plan because we are paying such money and can not eat more than 3 times a day. In addition, you can only get a max of two things when you go. They also do not refund you the meals you did not use so in the end your wasting money.

Qiaosi

I would tell myself take as many advance placement class as i can during high school, also takes as many math class as i can, give myself good base background before attending college. And English is my second language, as up today, i still have language problem, if i have a chance to go back as a high shcool senior again, i would tell myself to learn more English words because at that time i have more time avaliable doing my own things other than schoolwork.

Gannon is a small school and get help a lot from falculty member, and there is variety of resources you can get help academically.

I think Gannon does not discriminating any race students, as long as you meet their criteria, you will be in good shape attending this school.

Samir

Try to get a good scholarship that would pay for most of the college expenses as it can get very expensive (tuition, books, housing...). When you choose a career to pursue, try to talk to a few poeple who persued this career before as they might have some valuable information for your success. College will require much more studying than high school, be prepared for that from day one, as every day you slack off will be tough to make up.

The worst thing is probably the work load. The classes require a lot of work at home thus any full time student will find that he/she has no free time at all. Moreover, taking more than 12-13 credits a semester would be really tough.

A person who is ready to study to a lot and loves a sunny weather. Though he/she should be ready for temperatures over 110 in the summer, and below 32 at night in the winter.

Payton

My school is great at communicating the neccessary things that I need to know in order to furthur my education.

If I could go back in time I would advise myself to save more money. I wanted to attend classes on campus, but instead I was irresponsible and did not save enough money to live on my own. I am now living with my parents, taking classes online, and working two jobs in order to make payments to Herzing. Graduation money should be used for college, and college only!

I think the best thing about my school is that they make scheduling really easy and the advisors are willing to work with you on a personal, and professional level.

Christine

My classmates at Gannon University are very friendly and considerate.

My classmates at Gannon University are very friendly and considerate.

I would suggest that you stay focused and you figure out what you want to do with your life. You need to put forth all the effort possible and must learn to go out of your way to succeed. It will all pay off in the end, and you must take the smallest opprotunities into consideration. I would put school and studying before anything! I wouldnt let anyone get in my way and I would suggest to manage my time and extra-curricular activites alot better and more precise.

The kind of person who shouldnt attend Gannon is one who is not hard working or focused on their life goals/ethics.

Jenna

I would tell myself to start saving money because once you get past buying all of your books, random expenses show up and they can be quite costly. The other piece of advice I would give myself is to appreciate the family and friends I have now. Once you get to college it is hard to stay in contact with everyone so take advantage of the precious time you have with them now while you still can. Also start tracking down scholarships during your junior and senior year because they are very important especially when it comes to paying off your balance.

Chelsea

My classmates are friendly and easy to talk to and they are very driven on doing well in class.

I would tell myself that anything is possible. If there is a subject that you had a tough time with in high school you will be able to do well with it in college. College work takes time, dedication, and perservance. If you are willing to put the effort into your work you will excell and do get the good grades that you set out to get. I would also tell myself not to be intimidated with college and the large class sizes. Professors are always willing to help and they are there to promote you doing the best that you can do. My motto for college is, "The sky is the limit, you can do anything you set your mind to!" That is what I live my everyday to be the best student that I can be and to achieve my goal in becoming a Physician Assistant.

This school is accepting of all kinds of people. The school is mostly focused on medical and law studies.

Gannon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.