Erie, PA
Gannon University

Video courtesy of Gannon University.

Gannon University is a Catholic, Diocesan university dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Faculty and staff prepare students to be global citizens through learning that emphasizes faith, leadership, inclusiveness and social responsibility.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gannon University

Fixed  rate loan

Diane

My classmates were from all over the country, as well as Canada; studying anything from Engineering, art to nursing or biolog...

My classmates were from all over the country, as well as Canada; studying anything from Engineering, art to nursing or biology.

My advise to my self would be not to take life too seriously. Enjoy every momment you can and learn from every mistake. I would tell myself that college is not about completing a degree, but learning and exploring within and outside ourselves. I would tell myself that it is not important to finish in four years or to only take classes pertaining to one's program. It is more important to explore all the avenues, so that you can find one aspect, topic or subject that "lights you up" and motivates you; allowing you to become a better person and contribute positively to the world. When we are younger we have more time to explore different aspects of life and getting a really good job right out of college is not as important as, enjoying the job you want to get, and doing the things that make you happy. There is a lot to be said for students who go to school because they want to not because they have to. Be a student that has the desire and passion to study and help make the world a better place.

Any person that is interested in a liberal arts education. It must be a person who does not have a problem with religious affiliations, but does not have to be religiously affiliated themselves. This person must also, enjoy cold weather, rain and cloudy days. Gannon has a lot to offer any kind of student, who is looking for a good education. Campus is nice, class sizes are not too big and you won't get "lost in the crowd" as they saw. The president of the University makes sure he meets all of the students.

Maria

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself to focus on my studies. I would warn myself, that Unviersity is very serious, and that you cannot get by easily like I thought. I would tell myslef in order to focus more, to better balance my school and my extra curricular activities.

The best thing about Gannon University is the small class sizes, because this allows my teachers to get to know me on a more personal level and therefore allows for a better education because they can focus on students individually.

Before I came to Gannon University, I wish I knew more about the city and the area in which its located in, because I was unaware of the crime that went on in and around the Gannon campus. Downtown Erie is not as safe as I would have thought and I wish I knew this before I came to the school.

Autumn

Autumn, buy laundry detergent. Halfway through the year your roommate will realize you’re stealing hers and goes on a politeness crusade. Through jaw breaking fake smiles and passive aggressive tactics, she will make you regret the day you ever picked hers up. Second, try to be more bold. I know you are a shy person, but there is more to life then sitting in your dorm all day and staring out the window. Third, study every night, no matter how tired you are. And last, but not least, get help. You've struggled with and been ashamed of your depression for seven years. That's a long time to hide. And now its time to let the truth out. In college, people are more understanding. There are counselors who will help you through the crippling pain and sadness. There are people who will understand that you can't help but cry yourself to sleep because you feel worthless and undesirable. Depression is not your fault, you are not weak for seeking help, and people will not hate and look down at you because you take medication. Everything is going to get better. I promise.

Anyone who either has a lot of money or no money and who wants to study the science and health fields. They give out funding but only to the super poor and the school is pretty expensive.

The rooms. The dorms are really nice even if the school is a tyranical and orwellian dictator who breaks the law.

Kristin

Just because you can do well without working hard doesn't mean you shouldn't give it your all anyway. Performing well without effort is not nearly as gratifying as performing well with heart and discipline.

The best thing about going to this school is its environment. The faculty, staff, and students are generally very friendly and caring individuals, the campus is clean and organized, yet still warm and welcoming. Everything you need is readily accessible, without the crowdedness and grime of a big city.

The worst thing about Gannon is simply that I had hoped to go to a more accredited and rigorous institution. This one was the most affordable and seemed rational to attend considering I plan on also going to a graduate school and will need solid financial footing to do so.

Madeline

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior student I would tell myself to focus more on the SAT's and ACT's. I would explain that if I scored higher I would receive a full scholarship to Gannon University. My current self would make sure my past self was aware that graduating valedictorian would not be enough to guarantee the education I desire. I would encourage myself to save more money from my part-time job to help pay for all the unexpected expenses that every student incurs.

While attending Gannon University, I consider the best thing about my school would have to be how small the classes are and how easy it is to get in contact with the professors. I like Gannon because the students and faculty are easy to talk to and communicate with. They make you feel like you are really valued.

Someone who is not culturally diverse would not feel comfortable because Erie, PA is a very much culturally diverse. We have students from Nepal all the way to Africa. Also most of the people living in Erie, PA are extremely culturally diverse. Erie has a large population of immigrants from Italy, Mexico, Ukraine, and the Middle East. A person who is not comfortable learning and interacting with other cultures would not benefit from everything Erie, PA and Gannon University has to offer.

Dana

Gannon is a great school for health and business programs and has a great job placement rate for graduates.

I have learned so much from Gannon. I am currently a sophomore, but I have already experienced and learned from many situations. I have had roommate conflicts where I had to overcome issues and make decisions based on what was best for my educational experience. In this regard I have learned that any situation that prohibits you from concentrating on your education is one you should remove yourself from. I also have a work study job which forces me to obtain a successful balance of work, school, and leisure. I attend Gannon because of its great Occupational Therapy program. I take my education very seriously, especially because of how much debt I am putting myself in. I know that it is all worth it because of the life lessons and the knowledge I am obtaining. Thus far, Gannon is doing a great job in preparing me for a successful career and life after college, which is of the utmost value. Gannon has taught me that above all, I should never give up on myself and my goals. Even during hard times, I should believe in myself and work hard to obtain the education that I came here to get.

Gannon is located in downtown Erie where there has been a history of crime and Gannon also has it's share of partying, as do most schools.

Casandra

As a re-entering adult I went back to school for a career strong in science, something I would never have thought I would do when I was a high school student. I've discovered I love learning and I can learn anything. Attending college for a worthwhile carreer has been a real confidence booster. I'm learning to stay organized, try new expiernces and have found that I like learning for the pure pleasure of it rather than just working to get an 'A.' I actually want to know and retain all this information when I'm finished with college. I'm working hard and really looking forward to a rewarding career.

My classmates all seem to be fairly studious and all seem to get along pretty well as we have gotten to know eachother over the years due to the smaller size of the campus.

Gannon is best known for the numerous Health Science programs it has available for students which is actually what drew me to this school.

College has provided me with so many new opportunities. First of all, my school is really far away from home which was a big change for me. It has helped me to grow and mature as an individual and has also helped me become much more independent. College has definitely been valuable to attend because has allowed me to expand my horizons through all of the community service activities and opportunities provided. I have learned a lot through these experiences and feel like I have really helped to make a difference in the city of Erie. I also have been able to get involved with activities outside of my major that have allowed me be involved in things that I have always enjoyed doing but did not have the chance to do in high school. For example, I have always loved to plan events so I am involved with the Activities Programming Board on campus which has allowed me to put my interests to good use. I have also learned quite a bit from the board in terms of leadership skills which I will be able to apply to my career and other areas of my life.

My college experience has been amazing. I have learned a lot of things since I have been enrolled in Kilian Community College. As well as doing things I never thought I could do, Fractions, for one, inicate conversation and public speaking. College has given me confidence to do anything I put my mind to. I use to look for some one to comfort me, help me with issues and school work. Now I am encouraging students and making them feel welcome just as somoeone did for me. College has been a value to me because I never thought I would be able to attend college because of the learning disability I had in middle and high school. In addition I want my three year old daughter to know how important education is. As she watch me do homework many of nights and get prepared for school each day, she ask question and had I not been going to college I would not know how to properly answer her questions. With that being said college has taught me how to be a student, a better mother and a friend.

Bernard

My college experience has taught me there is more to higher education than the stereotypical drunken frat boys and arrogant intellectuals. I took a public speaking course after five consecutive years of homeschooling and still managed to pass and make a few smiles. I also met an professor from Chicago who managed to mold me from a simpleton who never wrote an essay in his life to an imaginative writer who now enjoys poetry. My most valuable college experience however came in the form of my History professors. In particular, I studied under the same one who taught and advised me for two years and four courses. He taught me not only about American history and the Holocaust, but also indirectly about the importance of a good teacher. To this day I still maintain contact with him and hope I can become a professional who can inspire my own students the way he inspired me. In the end my college experience was quite sober and the majority of those I met were not haughty at all, rather I found perhaps the richest experience in my life as a student who found much more out of both college and also himself.

Gannon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.