Gannon University

« See more reviews of Gannon University

Through Gannon University I have learned important life skills such as time management, interpersonal relationships, and personal responsibility. My rigorous and demanding schedule has trained me to value my time and ensure that every minute of my day is spent effectively. Since Gannon University is a relatively small University, the close connections it fosters between it students has helped me grow as a member of a society larger than my high school and family. The most important value I have learned is to value my education. I have learned through the Gannon University Liberal Arts curriculum that all knowledge is for the bettering of one?s self. This has become a very important part of my academic outlook. It has showed how to view education as a pathway for my future. Many of the goals and future prospects I have will be shaped by the curriculum and professors. Furthermore, on the value of education, on the most important aspects of Gannon that will help me pursue my career as a sports nutritionist is its strong focus on the health sciences. The facilities and qualified professors have helped me not only do well in their classes but also learn the material.

"Believe in the possibilities.", the motto of my university. As a youth in 21st century America I have been challenged with educational standards, yet suppressed by realizations of globalization and the international perspective of an American student. I chose to pursue International Business for my love of travel and desire to help others manage organizations throughout the world. America is a country that appears to be slipping with education and more prominently, economic affairs. As a high school student, I was aware that I was intelligent. I came from a poor rural area and knew that my standards were higher than those of others; I chose to attend college. Self-Motivation was never as much of an issue. I knew that I was capable of great things. However, the most valuable part of my college education has been ambition and realization of the future. As an above average student in high school, I knew that I could do much better. College has motivated me to reach goals that may be out of my potential, yet I will strive to achieve them. The idea that American students of any background can succeed in the 21st century has been most rewarding.

Of all significant lessons learned, one of the lessons that I have obtained happened while gazing at two people have a dispute at a project workshop. During attending the voccational program at my high school, one of the assignments that students had to complete was to bestow an elderly person with a free massage at the nursing home. While at the nursing home, a female student untimely ceased massaging one side of their client’s body. The female student did not communicate with her partner that she wanted to have the male client turn over onto his back. She elevated the client’s leg promptly. The client rolled over onto the floor and blood surged from the client’s leg. Both students became flustered as the teacher made her way to their massage table to ask what had happened. The students never finished giving the client a full 40 minute massage. While listening to the students bicker, I gained knowledge that: “Body language speaks” … “Never squabble with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.” When a person is angry, he or she should keep their composure---the greatest life advice toward making a positive transition.

While you may be second-guessing your descision to attend gannon University, as well as enter St. Mark Seminary, it will provide with great oppurtunities while you are attaining your undergraduate degree. You will be given a chance to spend time outside of the country your freshman year, you will help to re-found the oldest fraternity on Gannon's campus, and you will have the oppurtunity to join and participate in too many campus groups to mention. Academically, you will become a rising star--you actually decide not to pursue a degree in history, but you discover a love for Philosophy! You even preform research with two of your professors at the FDR Presidential Library. Your growrth as an academic, but more importantly as a person, is marked with milestones, both great and small. Your first girlfriend will be one of the largest (though we won't open that "can of worms"), as it will change your entire perspective on life, especially that of your own. Your decision is well founded, and there is no need to change. if you go with the flow, you will be led down the right road, however bumpy in may be. God bless.

My college experience thus far has been invaluable. I have been blessed with so many opportunities to meet new people and partake in many new experiences. Our university has a wide variety of students here and we are given lots of opportunities through the school to socialize and learn about people from different cultures. Additionally, although I have only been here for one semester, I have learned more here from my amazing professors than I have in my whole life. My professors have not only taught me about my classes and given me information pertaining to my major, but they have taught me about life and helped me through any situation I have found myself in. Gannon gives me an opportunity to be independent while still allowing me to feel safe on my campus. It's an amazing campus filled with many amazing people. The faculty and staff are always very helpful and friendly. I have yet to come across an unhappy person on campus. I have gotten so much about college so far. This first semester at Gannon has changed my life. I have learned so much about myself and even become a stronger person because of it.

Being in a community college, I do not feel I have had the traditional college experience. Instead, it has taught me truly how valuable experiencing it is. Out of my year at a commuter school, I have realized the fact that I am so excited to continue my education in an environment where school and learning is the number one priority, in a close knit community of peers striving to accomplish the similar future career goals. The choices, friends, and career path decisioins I make today and in the upcoming years will affect the rest of my life. Since I plan to accomplish a great deal of discovery, travel, and prevention of natural diasters in the field of geology, the time I am spending in college is the most valuable and important thing I can do for my future. In general, I believe that a college degree is the most valuable thing anyone can spend their money on. Education leads to hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional lifetime income, but the friends one makes, the experiences one has, and the memories and knowledge one can reflect on make the college experience more valuable than any amount of money.

Advice that I would give is first to research the institution that makes you feel at home. Find the college that makes you happy and determined to make the next two/four years of your life the best. Try to see whether you would like to be in a city or private environment that would help exclude you from any distractions. I would also encourage parents/students to ask family and friends to see what they have heard or experienced as well, to help you expand your spectrum of the facilities you are exploring. As for the student making most of their college experience, I would highly encourage the student to become involved in many activities and try to take full advantage of every opportunity available. Try to put aside what other people think and do what makes you happy and what will allow you to experience your college. With that, I would also remain open to everyone and everything, college itself is a new and enlightening experience that not everyone has the chances of experiencing and when you do, it broadens your views and allows you to see things holistically to only better your life and future to come.

My college experience has taught me there is more to higher education than the stereotypical drunken frat boys and arrogant intellectuals. I took a public speaking course after five consecutive years of homeschooling and still managed to pass and make a few smiles. I also met an professor from Chicago who managed to mold me from a simpleton who never wrote an essay in his life to an imaginative writer who now enjoys poetry. My most valuable college experience however came in the form of my History professors. In particular, I studied under the same one who taught and advised me for two years and four courses. He taught me not only about American history and the Holocaust, but also indirectly about the importance of a good teacher. To this day I still maintain contact with him and hope I can become a professional who can inspire my own students the way he inspired me. In the end my college experience was quite sober and the majority of those I met were not haughty at all, rather I found perhaps the richest experience in my life as a student who found much more out of both college and also himself.

I have learned so much from Gannon. I am currently a sophomore, but I have already experienced and learned from many situations. I have had roommate conflicts where I had to overcome issues and make decisions based on what was best for my educational experience. In this regard I have learned that any situation that prohibits you from concentrating on your education is one you should remove yourself from. I also have a work study job which forces me to obtain a successful balance of work, school, and leisure. I attend Gannon because of its great Occupational Therapy program. I take my education very seriously, especially because of how much debt I am putting myself in. I know that it is all worth it because of the life lessons and the knowledge I am obtaining. Thus far, Gannon is doing a great job in preparing me for a successful career and life after college, which is of the utmost value. Gannon has taught me that above all, I should never give up on myself and my goals. Even during hard times, I should believe in myself and work hard to obtain the education that I came here to get.

Many students go into college thinking it will be a party and that they will pass by with flying colors. Now don't get me wrong, it's not that students shouldn't be social and have fun during their college experience but getting their work done is essential. During my college experience so far, I have pursued my choice of major, gotten to know myself and my views on life and the world, taken steps towards individuality, and gained confidence in my abilities. Getting to know proffesors and introducing myself to new students has not only made me realize my own personality and qualitites but helped me become more social and understanding of what we call "the real world". Being in the classes that I was enrolled in not only gave me a better literal education, but also has helped me connect my thoughts, learn my study patterns, and help me learn to focus on schoolwork. I have seen some people go down in the dumps without a college education which is why I am grateful to have such a great opportunity. It will provide me with a better and brighter future which is one of my many goals.