Gannon University Top Questions

I would tell myself to not put so much pressure on myself. My freshman year I focused too much on school and not on being involved in campus life and that is one thing that I really do regret. I would tell myself to stay focused on school but to not let it run your college experience.

As a high school senior I was reserved, had a small circle of friends, and was from a high school with 39 students in my senior class. To me, college was such a big place, and 4,000 people on a campus seemed overwhelming. I was still deciding what I wanted my major to be, and felt like a child worried about making friends again. Well, now that I have spent 3 years on Gannon's campus, I can look back and say: friendships come naturally if you look in the right places. As a freshman, your best ally is your roommate, but it's also healthy to branch out and become involved in 1 or 2 extra curricular organizations that you love. I can honestly say that joining Chorus and Students for Life really helped me to branch out and meet some of my best friends. These activities also became an outlet that helped me to find a balance for the rigors of academic life. I am still going strong in the 3+3 Physical Therapy Program and could not have been more blessed with friendships. You just have to stay positive and dive into the unknown!

savanna

keeping an open mind when looking at andvisiting schools. Thereis a lot that a school can offer if you are willing to get involved.

edith

The advise that i would have gaven myself if I was back in high school would have been to learn more study patterns, to learn how to seperate my study sessions from my social life and cheer life. Once in college it does get more difficult to manage work, school and cheer so i would have told my self to put more effort in seperating it all and leaving enough time to do eveything ahead of time instead of trying to cram everything in little time. Another advise I would have gaven myself would have been to be more social with students, to participate in school sports or even activites to go into college without being scared to participate in activities. As well as to not be to afraid to meet new people. A huge advise I would have gaven myself would have been to apply for scholarships ahead of time.

abigail

Take advantage of all that is available to you. This is a time when resources are more readily available to you and you have more time to deal with things. Not only are you in a familiar environment but you have immediate support from your family and friends. Don't take this for granted. Appreciate every moment. Explore all of your options. College is expensive, try to go in knowing as much as possible. You'll do well in school and adapt to your surroundings and situations more quickly. Once you're in college you are, to an extent, cut off from all that you are familiar with. Become aware of your new habitat and try to know all the possible routes to the places you will be going because if you dont then you will only know one way and you will get lost with just one wrong turn. Establish a routine. It's easier to manage your time when youre on a schedule, this also helps you to be able to get more rest. Know where to go for different emergencies. Scope out the options and pick at least three good places to shop. Keep a journal.

Alessandra

If I could go back and give myself advice about college, I would tell myself to try and walk on to the volleyball team because volleyball is a sport that I love and it is always worth the shot. Also, I would tell myself to go into college open minded. There are so many new people to meet and can learn from so put on a smile and talk to everyone that comes in your path becasue you never know what they can offer to you. Lastly, I would advise myself to take up more opportunities that Gannon gives to their students. You can always get someone good out of every opportunity that is given to you and you never know, it might sparke up sometime else for you while you are at it.

I would go back in time and tell myself to first settle on a major before looking at any schools. I would then determine if I would like to play a sport in college. From there I would start attending college fairs, talking to teachers and college graduates and looking at schools online. I would then tell myself to do college visits and fill out applications -early! Before going on the visits make a list of what you would like to see in the school and then immediately after the visit, write down all of the positives and negatives. After all of this is done take into consideration the lists and think about which school stood out to you and 'just felt right'. I would also tell myself to make sure the school I am leaning towards is a good enough distance away from home to be on my own, but close enough to visit. I would also make certain that there is a night life aspect, sports team aspect as well as several activities and events to do on campus to keep busy and involved.

If I could go back and talk to my high-school self, I would say that it is important to come into college with an open mind and willingness to participate in every club or activity offered. College is a great opportunity to meet new people, make connections and try new things! There are so many resources presented to new students at college and it would be foolish not to take advantage of them. Sign-up, give it a try and the worst that can happen is that you find out that you don't like it. Along the way, you are bound to meet new people who will open your eyes to new life perspectives. In today's world, that it so key; too many people are close minded and unwilling to adapt. Take adavantage of new adventures!

Mariah

If i were able to go back in time and give myself advice about college, the first thing i would tell myself is to study. College is nothing like high school and your professors arent going to babysit you or hound you about turning in your homework or studying for an upcoming test. The paste is fast and if you dont do what you have to do you'll be left behind. The next thing i would tell myself is to get involved, open up. When you get involved your expierience in college will be a whole lot better then if you were to just stay to yourself. The last piece of advice would be to live on campus. Even though it is more expensive, living on campus will get you involved, it is more convient and less stressful on you because it less things you have to worried about compared to living at home.

Brenna

I would tell myself not to take advantage of the free time that I have because there is always something to do. Whether it is studying, reviewing notes, doing homework or getting ahead there is always work to be done. This is a great use of time management so I do not get behind in the future. With that being said I would also tell myself not to go into college with clenched fists doing nothing but school work all day long. I would tell myself to get involved right away and join different clubs and organizations as well. It is good it be a well rounded person and make connections and friendships with other students. It's good to develope good social skills and have a good background in working with different people in different enviornments along with holding leadership positions.

TAMMY

If I could go back to myself as a senior I would give myself encouragement to not put off my education. In 1988 when I graduated it was commonplace to be able to go straight from high school into a full-time career with benefits. I was able to do so, and then my situation changed drastically and I found that I was head-of-household with five children to provide for and no real education to back me up.

I would have made the same decisions I made. I visited colleges early, determined my major, and figured out what I wanted out of a school. I wanted a strong academic school as well as a strong athletic school. Gannon also provides me with many leadership and service opportunities. Gannon is also focused on making each student well-rounded and I can appreciate this wholesome focus. I would advise myself to apply early and get to know people who are also going to Gannon.

Shania

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy the little things in life. Going to college is much more than just getting a degree. Going to college means leaving the only life you knew and creating an identity for yourself that will follow you for the rest of your life. I would tell myself to enjoy the little things in life my senior year because those little things will be the big things you miss the most when you go to college. I would tell myself to eat every bite of dinner my mother prepared every night because soon enough, your mother will be miles away and you will miss the smell of a fresh cooked meal. I would tell myself to spend as much time as i could cheering on my baby sister because when you go to college, you are too busy to go home for every soccer and t-ball game. The last thing i would tell myself is to just have fun and be less stressed out my senior year. The little things in life are ultimatley the big things you will miss most.

Kaycee

I would tell myself that you just have to go with it, you have to embrace the change and make the best of the situation. college is a new experience, it can be scary but try not to get too stressed out. Make sure you come prepared, crazy things happen, have all of your insurence information with you and know how it works. Don't be afrade to ask for help, when you tell people your a first time college student, most of the time they will be considerate and help you out. college is a time to recreate yourself so be smart be safe and stay focused but dont forget to enjoy yourself too!

Knowing what i know about college life, I would give myself information on how to study more conveniently and prepare myself for the future more. I am a transfer studen, at my old school I commuted every single day so i never truely got the college experience until now. I also changed my major three times. If I also had anything to tell my former self I would tell myself to really open my options and explore the fields to figure out exactly what I wanted to do, instead of having to change my major three times.

wilfried

Personally I’m not one to encourage people to put their eggs in one basket but when it comes to making your college dicicions this is one method I should have consider as a college student myself . Especially if you’re not financially wealthy, wasting money testing out Majors is not wise. We all seek happiness in this cold world, but proceeding with a miserable carrier to obtain a large sum of money will destroy one’s happiness in life. Taking the wrong major will only distract you from fulfilling what you want to be. Trusting and investing in you is one of the best things anyone could ever do in their college life. I’d advise myself to stop being “safe” with my choices and attack my passion head on. To Trust my heart and choose the course of study that interests and inspires me. To not base my path merely because it satisfies the expectations of others, or because it seems prudent at the time, but because it’s what I enjoy doing. At the end of the day, happiness is all we seek, and having an unbearable job, will not bring you the happiness you look for.

destiny

I would tell myself to save money, work hard, and do whatever you have to do to get a scholarship and go to college. Don't let anyone stand in your way. Be the best you can be.

I would tell myself to make sure I weigh all my options and think about finances when looking into colleges. In high school I was so concerned with going to a big school far away and I didn't even think about local, smaller schools. However, after a year and a half at a school out of state, I realized I was unhappy and spending too much money. I wish I would've taken the time to consider a local school like Gannon, because if I did I probably would've realized it was a much better fit for me. I also would tell myself to keep and open mind and try things I normally wouldn't, and to branch out. You can meet so many different people when do decide to do something that is out of your comfort zone, and I wish I would've realized that sooner.

I would tell myself to trust only a close few people and be good to the friends you make. Don't take your friends for granted because so many things can happen over the course of the year.

Brenna

If I were to go back in time, the advice I would give my senior self is to learn how to manage your time and get involved. When I first got to college I easily got stressed out over school work and whether or not I would have enough time to finish it. It turns out that I had a lot more time than anticipated to get work done. When I was so busy stressing over school work I missed out on great opportunites to make new friends and get involved on campus. However, during that first semester I did learm how to manage my time so I could get my work done and still have time to do other extracurricular activities. College is not only about learning, but also making connections with people and putting yourself out there. This is a time to learn about yourself and others, and prepare yourself for your future career and life.

High school was a breeze, but it can never truly prepare yourself for college, you will be tested, mentally and emotionally but do not give up. Life has thrown you curve balls, but do not give up, just because you take more time to understand things does not mean you are any less intelligent than anyone else. Always strive and keep trying, do not ever lose sight of your dreams.

I would tell myself to simply be more open. College offers a lot of opportunities and the people in college are nothing like the kids in high school. I would have told myself to be involved in activities outside of the classroom and be open to making new friends instead of going to class and then going straight home. I would have prepared a lot better for college and I would have enjoyed my first semester so much more if I knew how cool people in college really were.

Charlene

One of the best parts of growing up is the fact that all experiences provide the oppurtunity to learn. If I could go back in time and tell my high school self any advice I would for sure tell myself to explore career options and shadow professionals in interested fields. I was not exposed to many careers that I had later been interested while in college. As a result of this, I felt confused with no clear direction of a career path which added stress and uncertainty. I think it is very important to educate yourself about the many options and see them first hand. When I had finally made my career choice, it was after I had spent over 100 hours shadowing a physical therapist in an inpatient setting. Had I known this before starting school I could have attended a direct acceptance program. Regardless, I am happy with how my college career had unfolded, but if I had researched career options before attending college I could have avoided a lot of stress. Because of this, I encourage my younger friends and family to explore their options to set themselves up for success!

lacei

I would say stay true to yourself and do not let anyone or anything come between you and the education you are pursuing. You make the rules of your life and if anyone cannot accept that than let them go.

chris

i would give myself the advice to go and search for scholarships sooner so i could have a better chance at attending my dream school, Berklee School of Music.

Nichole

Nichole, I know this is going to be different for you. You've always been close with your family and now you're looking at going four hours away to go to school. You shouldn't be scared or worried; this is actually going to be one of the best decisions you will make. I know you enjoyed high school, but just wait for college. You might just have three hours of school a day! You shouldn't be afraid of losing Rachel either. She will always be your best friend no matter where you go or what you do. You will also find friends for life at Gannon. Don't be afraid to meet new people and get involved. You never know where it can take you. Be strong, confident, and stay with your beliefs. You will do just fine. Make "Be There" one of your life sayings and live by it. Be there in every moment physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. And don't forget to make some memories too. P.S. don't date the guy you're considering dating in the first two weeks, it didn't turn out well. Love, Nichole

Nichole

Nichole,

I would tell myself to not stress so much about being able to get through college. It is easy to make friends and acclimate to the college type workload. You do have to study more but everyone else at college has to study just as much so it makes it easy to study in groups. Get involved as much as possible. This will help the transition become more enjoyable and this will help make more friends. Get a job on campus to help with the cost of books and food. College is a big change but it only takes a couple weeks until it just seems like regular school. College is enjoyable as long as you can manage your time.

Advide i would give to myself was to be open minded and not be so anxious about the first semester of college. Although, everyone is usually nervous, the experience is never as harsh as it seems to be.

Brandy

The advice I would give my self would be to learn to manage my time better. College puts all the responsibility on the student, which I knew before I went to college, but it didn't realize how much time was required to study for each class. Managing time wisely is a key component to succeeding in college.

Zachery

My first advise to myself is to be open and be me. People in college find out who they really are during college. Take the hardest classes that you can to be the best at what your going to be coming out of college. The professors here at Gannon are willing to help you so do not be affraid to ask for some extra help. If your professor is not available then get extra help with a tutor. When you are able after football season get into other clubs that will be good to place on your resume for your future job or jobs.

Nikki

Nikki, you need to live on campus. You are being very financially responsible and all, but for just one year, live on campus. You can meet so many friends there. You work so hard every week. It is hard doing 50 hours a week to afford college, but you will be so happy. As it gets closer and closer to graduation, and as you start looking at graduate schools and their cost, it gets easier living at home and saving up money. You also meet a lot of people through your program. When you have two years with the same 100 students, you get to know a lot of them. It does kind of stink that it took so long. Take the extra time to be in as many extra curricular activities as you can, even if you think you can't, it always works out. Study hard, keep up on research. You'll have so much fun training dogs, researching fish, interning atTamarack Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, and doing everything else. I can never wait to see what you do next. We really do amaze me some times with the things we can fit in a week.

Hailey

Growing up I always succeeded in school. Once in high school I started to become lazy and realized that, since school came so easy to me, I could maintain good grades without much effort. Going into college, just as I had been warned, I was not ready. The transition from high school to living on my own and college was not any easy one. I was easily stressed and made plenty of irresponsible decisions when it came to taking my education seriously. Knowing what I do now about that transition, I have so much advise that I would give to my high school self. I would advise myself on the financial struggle of living on your own, you are working to live, and that is stressful. I would advise myself to be careful in forming lazy habits as, in college, the work load is on you. You have to take responsibility for what is required of you and that requires commitment. What I had the hardest time with was this commitment to education. In college you have to be accountable for yourself, no one is reminding you to get things done. I learned these lessons the hard way.

maria

If today I was a high school senior on the verge of college knowing what I know now would have helped me a great deal. I would have told myself that it is ok and necessary to ask for help the teacher is there to help you not judge you. I would have not let myself stress so much and told myself that it is necessary to be yourself not what you think others expect or would like you to be. College doesn't have to be stressful like you many people make it out to be, and if you do everything on time you can have a great social life. Get involved, get out of your comfort zone, make friends, this will help you not feel like a stranger. Don't isolate yourself all college students are in the same boat, being part of a community only helps you.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say one thing, based on what I know now. The first important piece of advice would be to never settle for less. No matter what sort of obstacles you face, you can achieve anything you put your mind to. I never had the best grades in high school, and my standardized tests were not that good either. When I got to college it was a major shocker to me how much my roomates studied, because I never studied that much. My first semester I did okay, and passed my classes. My second semester my freshman year was a different story. I had to take a math course. Math has never been my strong suit, but I knew I had to do good in the class. I knew the percaussions would not be good if I didn't do good. I set a goal to myself that I needed to improve. Everyday I would be at the library for hours on end, and most of the time untill it closed. I studied so hard that semester, I made the Dean's List!

I would tell my younger self to bust my butt in my academics!!! I skated by with my studies and never really understood the importance of my grades until my first semester at college. Even then, I did not really grasp the importance of grades. Be more active in social clubs and organizations which could have aided in my devotion to the college lifestyle, and not partying. Have a focus in every field of study rather than gym class because now that I am graduate with a BA in History it would have propelled my knowledge to spend more time reading and learning of historical events rather than playing video games. Look into and apply to more than one college/institute. Relying on the first and only college of my choice was not the wisest and to this day I regret attending. Not only did it have negative overall effects on my GPA but also exposed me to harsh conditions which left me in a poor mental state on my future in college and in long term living. Overall, the most important factor would be to not hate schooling. This is what is giving me and my past a future.

Freshman year in college was one of the scariest and the most overwhelming years of my life. Which can be quite shocking, considering just three months earlier I had been living out the best year of my life as a high school senior. Looking back at what I know now, if I had been given the chance to go back in time to give myself advice for college as a high school senior, I wouldnt. I would not change a single thing. That's the funny thing about growing up and becoming independent, I never knew where the next day, hour, or even the next minute would take me. The only thing I knew was what my parents had taught me all those years at home, and that at college, it was finally MY time to show everyone what I was made of. Nobody can give good advice about freshman year. Personally I learned that you have to roll with the punches, drink really strong coffee, and learn how to manage your time wisely. Everybody experiences freshman year differently, at different speeds, in bigger and better ways. Freshman year is simply all about embracing each and every opportunity you encounter.

The advice I would give myself would be simple-don't leave campus on the weekends for a solid month; I live about a half hour away from my univerisity. However, I frequentely left to work on the weekends in my home town and to spend time with my boyfriend. During those weekends, I missed inside jokes between friends, late-night trips to McDonald's, and quality bonding time with my new acquaintances. Because I went home to much, I was unable to form quick friendships. I was not until my second semester of my freshman year that I met a close friend. Those first few weekends allow freshman, new to campus, to explore their university together while they explore budding friendships.

Tania

I wouldcertainly tell myself to not take for granted the time that is give over all. I would definitaly apply to as many scholarships as I possibly could. I would also tell myself to get into the habit of studying, becuase that is the only way one will be able to be successful in college. There is really nothing I would really change or try to improve, because I was a big nerd in highschool. Athough there was times where i did procrastinate. One thing I would tell myself though is to READ a lot. To get into the habit of reading, because that is what college is all about. I would also tel myself to look for two jobs if possible, becasue college is expensive.

Kari

As a college student advising my high school self I would tell myself to study more, to get involved in more clubs, and to focus on my future. Now that I am in college I have already switched my major. I couldn't adjust from high school accounting to college accounting to make it into a career. If I would have focused more in school and studied, I would have been able to make the transition to college life of homework and studying. I also would have told myself to get more involved with things around the school. I was in band and golf, however that didn't put myself out there enough like I should be able to do in college to get to know more people and put more things on my resume for my future career.

As a high school senior, I could definitely feel a strong case of senioritis coming on and my heavy class schedule did not make the senioritis any better. I basically doubled up on science classes (Physics and Anatomy and Physiology) and took two International Baccalaureate (IB) classes which made the year pass by very slowly with the work loads they came with. Almost every night during the week, I would be up past 1:00am studying for exams, completing math computations, and writing several essays. After the first term was over, I had grown very frustrated and did not want to do the work any longer. I could not wait for college to begin! But looking back at my high school career, I am very glad I had gone through this difficult time. If I had the chance to speak with my high school self, I would say keep working hard and doing what you're doing because it will for sure pay off in the end. High school has prepared you for college, without a doubt. However, college will not be as easy and you still have to work hard. There are so much waiting for you at college!

Knowing what I know now, I would have made sure that I did everything I could in high school to get ready for college. I also would have tried to apply for scholarships earlier. The transition between high school and college was hard at first, but I feel that I have learned a lot in school and also learned to be more independent. A difference between the two that I was unaware of in high school was the change in study habits. In college you have more time given to you before the next time you have that class, but you have a lot more information to look over. My study habits really changed when going from high school to college.

Kenzie

Believe in yourself and do not stress as much. If you know the material you know it, do not psyche yourself out by overlearning the material. Anxiety and sleep deprivation to study for a test over and over again is not worth it, because you already know the material. Just believe. Stay focused and keep using your note cards for tests, they help you out a ton. If you keep the notecards when you are all done, you do not have to make them for the final making yourself just a little bit more prepared than everybody else. When it comes down to it, just have fun, stay on top of all your assignments and it will be a breeze. Utilize your planner to avoid any extra stress.

Corey

My advice would be to sign up for scholarships sooner. It dosen't hurt to sign up early and you might increase the chance of getting a scholarship. Also I would tell myself to apply for many scholarships possible. Applying for alot of scholarships doesn't hurt and it increases your ability to get accepted for more money. The transition isn't easy and its something you must be ready for. It's hard work but it's all worth it because in the end you can end up with a Degree.

The college transition will be a lot easier if you are willing to let go of the past and embrace the future. If the friends you had in high school really care about you, then they will be there for you forever. You need to be open to making new friends while not forgetting about your friends at home. Making new friends is a wonderful experience because you have the ability to meet people of different backgrounds, cultures, experiences and personalities. But the most difficult thing that I learned was that people change when they go to college and turn into the people that they were destined to be. So the friendships and connections we had with people from high school are going to change as we get older, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. But this is a part and there is nothing we can do but cherish the memories of the past and look forward to the future. The past was holding me back from my future for too long and I only wish that I would have been able to move on sooner.

Brittany, I know life has been rough the last couple of years but things will get better in the end. When you think about school, don't say "well I'm going to take a year from school then go back". Try going to Oklahoma City Community College to get your basics taken care of then go for a degree in business. Two years is too long to wait to go back. It may stress you but it will be worth it in the long run. You'll be able to walk around with your degree and say "I have my Hookah Lounge" open. You should think about it.

Of all significant lessons learned, one of the lessons that I have obtained happened while gazing at two people have a dispute at a project workshop. During attending the voccational program at my high school, one of the assignments that students had to complete was to bestow an elderly person with a free massage at the nursing home. While at the nursing home, a female student untimely ceased massaging one side of their client’s body. The female student did not communicate with her partner that she wanted to have the male client turn over onto his back. She elevated the client’s leg promptly. The client rolled over onto the floor and blood surged from the client’s leg. Both students became flustered as the teacher made her way to their massage table to ask what had happened. The students never finished giving the client a full 40 minute massage. While listening to the students bicker, I gained knowledge that: “Body language speaks” … “Never squabble with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.” When a person is angry, he or she should keep their composure---the greatest life advice toward making a positive transition.

Dear Chelsea, You're a senior in high school now. This is such an exciting time in your life. So my advice to you: relax. You spent your entire high school career packing your schedule and studying like crazy. You've made it now and college is just around the corner. Enjoy the time you have left with your closest friends and be excited about starting a new chapter to your life. This is your time to shine. You love learning, sometimes, I think it's even your passion. High school was great, but college with become a new kind of learning at an intensity that will exhaust and enthrall you.

Study. Do your homework. Make school a first priority. I wish I studied more and concentrated on my studies. I also wish I thought about college before I graduated from high school so when I went it was not a rushed, confused process because even now I am still not sure if I am doing anything right. I feel behind in all my classes, like I never learned information that they already expect students to know.

Iynez

If I was a senior and had the oppurtunity to consult my fellow graduates, I would emphazise on staying focus and volunteering your time. Many people out of High School will take any job given to them to help make ends meet. Not many focus on a job that corresponces to the education path they want to take. I would try to get them to fist sit down and decide what you want to do in life and what your call may be, and from there encourage the students to volunteer in that area first. Wether, it is volunteering for a hospital because you want to become a RN or wether one wants to volunteer as a firefighter or even in the court system. The reason I would focus on this is because it will give them a better understanding early in life if this is something that they trully want. Not only that, but also it will help when one graduates college to have that hands on experience when setting of on your journey.