New Haven, CT
Gateway Community College-New Haven

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gateway Community College-New Haven

Patricia

I feel like i've definitely had some ups and downs at this school. It was bad when I first started, but then i got used to my surroundings and made friends, and it wasn't as hard anymore. I've had bad teachers, and i've had great teachers. I've had alot of people help me, and i'm grateful for that. But I've always had trouble in the beginning of my semesters with financial aid. Then, almost everyone in the library are all stuck up. They're rude. I've been to this school for 5 years and i'm still terrified to go in there to get books, not to mention ask them any questions, because they treat you like you're mentally challenged. Which i am, but I try not to let it get in the way too much. I feel like... i have mixed emotions of this school. But to be completely honest, I feel like i would have some kind of trouble with any school i've gone to. if i wrote out all the stories of the bad and good, this essay would become a book. I feel like i've had more bad experiences, but the brain makes you remember mostly bad over good anyway. The school overall isn't bad. There are alot of great people there.

Sonnetta

from the beginning to the end of my journey at gateway i enjoyed my classes , my new friends and overall my time there . the people , staff and teachers are really cool and most of all everyone is easy going i would recommend gateway because you work at your own pace , the professors are understanding of situations in life and the school is down town so you can get into a lot when waiting for classes to begin .overall its a great school

Tiffany

Love it. I have went to visit before I actually wanted to start there. There is security all around for protection. We have our area for parking. And academic advisors are always available. They are available when you come and and sit and also email.

Jaime

Knowing what I know now and the experience that I had, if i could go back in time to I would tell myself do not go away to school with a boyfriend back home. The boyfriend back home is only a distraction and is only heart ache and a waste of time. Experience what you can. After witnessing countless people coming in and out of college, do not forget that you should experience what you can but you are there to learn. I have had friends and roomates who end up on academic probation and years later regretted there academic decisions.

Gateway seems to be a little unorganized. I think their enrollment has grown faster than what they can handle. An example, the begining of the semester when you buy books, yeah every school has lines, but every other school has enough people to accommidate the numbers.

This school is great for someone fresh out of High School who is not sure about a larger University or someone in my shoes, who has gone through a small University as well as a large University. This is a great place for someone who works full time and wants to go to school part time to better ones self.

Allison

As a high school senior, I was not prepared for the college environment. Although I was academically successful in high school, I was not emotionally ready for college. As a result, it took many failures and many years before I was truly ready to be a student. If I could go back in time, I might tell myself to delay going to college; however, I would not. Each failure was a crucial part of the journey I am on. If I had not left my first (and second) schools, I never would have attended the community college where I found supportive professor and peers, and where I found my love of literature. However, I would tell my younger self that college is not about GPAs or class ranks, which are the status markers of high school. Instead, it is about finding truth. The true story of the American Revolution (the version we never learned as fourteen year olds), how Newton's Laws truly work, and, how, in the words of the immortal Bard, "This above all: to thine own self be true." More than any mere path to a single career, college is a discovery of truth.

At Gateway Community College, there are absolutely brilliant professors. I have often wondered why they are teaching at such a small school, but I consider myself blessed to be able to benefit from their enthusiasm and incredible breadth and depth of knowlege. For example, my history professor has name-dropped both Morte D'Arthur and William Blake during class. I have never know a history professor that loved Blake! My literature professor has an expansive knowlege of his field, and is constantly quoting various writers, from Montaigne to Shakespeare. How can one not learn in such an enthused environment?

The worst thing about Gateway Community College is that it is only a community college; an associate's degree is the farthest one can go. I am transferring to a four year university in the upcoming semester, and I am already mourning leaving such an amazing school. Nearly every acquaintance of mine who has transferred from Gateway has said the same thing; they all wish they could earn a bachelor's degree there. I am indebted to Gateway from giving me a solid start in my undergradute education, but I will miss it sorely.

danielle

The flexbility of times. Knowing I can get my children off to school and then be able to focus on my studies.

Well, the advice I would give to myself and the advice I give to my children now-School is one of the most important thing you will accomplish in life! Study hard, get good grades, enjoy the time with friends because, it will be over in the blink of an eye. At the end of the day , if you can say that I honestly tried my best-than be proud of yourself.

The best thing about our school is the diversity. People from all walks of life attend. Grandmothers, mothers, fathers, children. For me, its a comforting feeling!

Gateway Community College-New Haven administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.