Gilroy, CA
Gavilan College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gavilan College

Mari

It's a good school. The class sizes are relatively small and it is not as hard to keep up with teachers. Calm campus with a good enough students' center. Workers in the library are always happy to help any student that is having trouble. Also other students might be willing to help as well.

edwin

Its a decent size school but academics needs to improve

Its a decent size school but academics needs to improve

Kristina

Since it’s a community college it does not have a lot of the great academic resources available. It’s not a bad school, but it’s not the best. I would much rather go to a school that puts more money into taking care of their teachers, students, and buildings.

Nathaniel

Although Gavilan College is a good community college, after visiting bigger universities and comparing things such as subject matter available you notice a big difference. Especially if you plan to transfer to earn a degree in engineering, you will not be able to take any engineering courses here.

Omar

Try. Just keep trying, don't settle for a community college because you will keep the same mindset of giving up and it will be very difficult to stop it. Try hard in school and apply for four year universities and live the college life to be a successful business man. Don't forget where you came from. Stay humble but always strive for more. Things may seem to difficult to accomplish bu t with perseverance they can be accomplished. Just don't give up.

I wish I would have known that just consistent effort would make me be very successful here. To not give up when the going gets tough. To push through difficult situations and things will be done much easier

Christina

My classmates are mostly lower-income students who are goal-oriented and eager to better their lives.

The most important piece of advice I'd give my high school senior self, would be to just enjoy the experiences of college. I have suffered from an anxiety disorder for many years, and I have a tendency to stress out over little things. College is known to be a time of self-discovery, and unique experiences. I'd tell myself to enjoy those late nights cramming for finals, or those even later nights writing a 15 page research paper due the next day. College is very different from high school, and it is something not everyone gets to experience, so make the most out of it. You are going to miss your high school friends, but join clubs, become involved, and make new ones. If you allow yourself to experience college life, the transition from high school to college will be a lot easier. Let yourself go out on the weekends, or wait last minute to do an assignment and stay up all night. Granted I don't recommend it, but it's one of those things that makes college... college. So overall, I'd tell myself that four years goes by very fast; enjoy it while it lasts.

Darian

My classmates are much different from each other, as well as myself; there are different age groups, different ethnic backgrounds, different personalities, different personal views.

Past me, I just want to let you know that you should do much better in school. Don't waste your time on little things, get your priorities straight. Also, don't be so awkward; go out and make friends. Please be sure to join as many sports as possible, it will help you out in the long run. Don't worry so much about girls, there will be plenty of time to worry about them later on. Again, back on the topic of school and grades, please make sure to try your best and be honest with yourself; it might not seem like it right now, but it will definitely help you out in the long run. Start looking into colleges and look into what you want to do. Make sure to take classes that whill help you to get where you want to be in live. Another thing, always do what you think is best, and make the right choices. I know you're young now and you just want to live your life, but it isn't worth it. Just a heads up, and maybe not wear such tight pants.

This school is open to anyone who wants to pursue their degree but not ready for a university. It can also be for someone who isn't sure of what they want to study yet. It can be for anyone, whether it be to get general education, or to transfer. I know that going there helped me to figure out what I want to do, and helped me to get on the right track.

Natalie

If I were able to talk to myself 10 years ago when I was a high school senior I would have many words of advice. First, I would tell myself that I really need to seriously look into my options of attending college. I would advise myself to attend Gavilan college and then transfer to a University and to follow my dreams. Trust your instincts, I would say, and let nothing hold you back. You will be given great job offers, but refuse these as they will only delay the inevitable. College is something that you owe yourself. You are too smart to let the opportunities of college pass you by. Yes, college is hard and you must focus, but you can do it. Trust yourself and don't let anybody hold you back.

The location of Gavilan is one of the best aspects of it. It is conveniently located in Gilroy and has sattelite campsites in near-by towns. This is a perfect college for the student that didn't do so great in High School or isn't sure they are ready for a UC or CSU. The programs at Gavilan are great and getting better. There are many really talented professors who are genuinely interested in the progression of the student and the school as a whole.

Gavilan is a school that can accomodate anyone who aspires to obtain an associates degree or transfer. This college is very diverse and inclusive. There are many clubs on campus to get involved in regardless of your pursuit of career.

Jack

The students I attend school with provide a healthy atmosphere for me to learn. I find that most are always willing to help me or stay after class as long as I may need them. Of course, there are always those students who do not wish to participate or be there as there are in any college, but for the most part the students are there to learn and move on with their lives. I would say about ninety percent of my classmates are at Gavilan to work hard, yet they are still friendly and accomodating.

Unlike most other community colleges, Gavilan is located in the beautiful Gavilan foothills with a picturesque view of Gilroy and Hollister. The campus is one of the most beautiful of any that I have seen. The running trail runs through the hills offering breathtaking views of Gilroy, the campus below, and the distant mountains. Aside from the beauty, Gavilan is a very convenient drive from anywhere in Gilroy (around 10 mins from the farthest point) and it offers everything needed to move on to a four year university or obtain an associate's degree.

As a senior, I was very hesitant to go to a community college since all of my friends were going to four year universities, but if I could go back in time to talk to myself; I would reassure myself that going to community college is the best decision. I would tell myself that I would make new friends, the educational opportunities would be just as good as any four year school, and I would have a great opportunity to adjust to college life. I would give myself advice to look to the future, apply for as many scholarships as I could, and at times, to just sit back and enjoy the college life because it passes by you fast! That being said, I would point out that most of my friends who were to attend four year schools would fall into the partying lifestyle and would end up dropping out of college. I think I would easily be able to convince myself to go to Gavilan Community College.

Gavilan College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.