Batavia, NY
Genesee Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Genesee Community College

Dana
My Favorite Community College

My Favorite Community College

The campus in Batavia is perfect. Every teacher I encountered was always available to help their students and encouraged them to dig deeper. The food on campus is delicious. The atmosphere is fun and unihibited. GCC encourages students to be who they are, and the student activities are amazing. The only downside is the semi on campus housing, College Village- living there is literally a nightmare. Do yourself a favor and find an apartment or someplace really off campus to live. There's a diner called Sportos that is amazing. Tons of great food places in the area if you know where to look: Sportos, Main Street Pizza, That Taco Place, O'Laceys, Pok-A-Dot, Center Street Smokehouse, and a bunch of chain places too.

Mandy

I love Genesee Community College because tuition is reasonably priced and they have small class sizes. I get one on one time with the professor if i need it, and if they are unavailable there are tutors on site almost all the time. There are two campuses within 30 minutes of my home and it makes for an easy commute back and forth. This is especially easy because i have a daughter. If i needed daycare, the main campus has that available also if i chose to drive the 40 minutes to go there instead.

If I could go back in time and give the "high school me" some words of wisdom, there are many things I would tell myself. Highschool is when I started my downward spiral, so I guess I would start with telling myself to stop glorifying the use of drugs. I would tell myself to be more confidant, and that I do not need to hide behind my drug use. I would explain to myself, all I would loose by continuing that behavior. I would encourage myself to do better in my studies. I did not applied myself back then, and now I have a 4.0 in college; I am an honor student. I would tell myself to get it together, that one day I would have a stunning daughter that will look up to me. I would have liked to warn myself, but would I have become the same person without all of my experiences? Probably not. I am greatful for all I have been through, the good and bad. Without those experiences, I may not be the sober individual, full-time honor student, or amazing mother i am today. I am so unbelievably greatful for all i have.

I have lots to brag about in my opinion. I have a beautiful 2 year old daughter, i have two years sobriety from all mind altering substances (including alcohol), and i have a supportive family that has helped me with my daughter and financials so i am able to complete my studies and give her a better life. I am almost done with my first full year in college, my GPA is a solid 4.0 and i do not plan on letting it drop. I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa.

Go to BOCES for the health academy. The waiting list is very long.

Go to BOCES for the health academy. The waiting list is very long.

I wish I had known that I could have gotten into the nursing program a lot earlier by going to BOCES

I don't like how the teachers aren't available longer and that there aren't many tutors available.

Patrick

My school is known for there great transfering rates.

My school is known for there great transfering rates.

My advice to myself is that college is really tough, listen to the people that are giving you advice on it. You need to give time to college its no place to slack off and mess around a lot. Also stop procrastinating you will not get far in college by doing that. Remember to keep focused on your work and school never get out of fucused becasue its really hard to get focused again. That would be my advice to myself.

The worst thing about my school is the looks of it.

Last semester at Genesee Community College, I took four classes. In all of them, I had a wide variety of classmates from all ages, races, and backgrounds. GCC makes it very easy for adults to return to school, so when I decided to take nightime classes I entered a totally different college classroom setting. Also, GCC has a ton of international students, some from as far as Japan, and some from Canada. According to the website, we have students from over 19 different countries! With that being said, everyone in class brings something totally different to the class discussions.

Most high school seniors come into their last year of school busy as can be, filling out applications for college, visiting campuses, working part-time jobs, and doing the required 12th grade coursework. However, once all the business dies down, a sudden epidemic know as ?senioritis? swipes over the population. It should be no surprise when I admit that I was inflicted with a bad case of ?senioritis.? Me, and my friends, cut our schedules down so we only had to attend school for half of the day. I would go home every day and do anything besides schoolwork! If I could go back to my senior self, I would drag my butt off of the couch and suggest possibly taking a college course or two. I would tell myself to do anything to keep my brain active. Once senior year ends, you have a couple months of summer, but then you are thrown into hectic class schedules and huge amounts of work. No person, teacher, or thing prepared me for the shock of research papers, reading assignments, and long lectures. I would tell myself to take a class while attending high school, to see what college is really like.

When discussing Genesee Community College I always point out the small,"hometown" feel. GCC offers a variety of majors, including certification programs, associates degrees, and transfer programs. While they offer all of these, they still manage to keep class sizes small. I don't feel overwhelmed by a huge campus with long hauls to classes, becasue GCC is only one building. The college also offers avariety of class times; including night, weekend, and online classes. This works out great for students like me who work full time, and have families to take care of at home.

Jerrica

Most of the students who attend Genesse Community College are no different than other college aged students. However, I have gotten to know the students in the physical therapy major (the same major as me) very well. They are the most determined and dedicated students I have ever met. Whenever I have gotten overwelmed with school work and I just do kno want to do it any more they are willing to take extra time and help me get through it.

Genesse Community College is in a small town and therefore there is not a lot of students who attend. Because of this everyone knows who everyone is and everyone is friends with pretty much everyone. This makes a homey and comfortable atmosphere making waking up for class in the morning easy. It takes the stress of socializing out of college so I can concentrate on my school work and other important things.

If I could go back in high school and give myself one piece of major advice for college it would be to not let the endless buffet of college food get the best of me. I grew up in a house where there was never junk food in the pantry. I went to college and there was always dessert, soda, ice cream, and so much to eat for dinner. I felt like I had to eat all of it and then go up for a second helping. I gained the freshmen fifteen that I was warned of. Not only this but i always took naps and never worked out. To put is short and sweet I would look myself straight in the eye and say only have one helping at meals, sweets once a week, work out everyday, and go to bed early or else you are going to get fat.

Erica

Usually class sessions are pretty quiet. The other classmates do not talk much not unless the professor asks a question to the students or not unless they have a discussion topic.

If i could go back in time i would tell myself to be more organized and to view the school fully before choosing to attend it. I would tell myself to talk to current students at the college to find out more information on how they feel about the school and ask questions what they think is most needed to bring at school. I would tell myself to be prepared for not only the college itself but to find out who your roommates are before hand. And i would tell myself to be more openminded towards difference and change becuase in college you tend to change and grow up more than you thought you would.

The most frustrating thing to me about the school is how they charge 4,000 dollars extra because you are out of state. I am from out of state and live in college village housing. It is 15,000 a year for me on average to attend the college.

Genesee Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.