Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Cyrus

Coming into college, I was vey unprepared for the work load and the amount of homework that needed to be done outside of the class room. Through High school, I was the type of person who would just get the minimum done, and be okay with a passing grade. After my first semester in college, I've learned a lot about studying, and the importance of really learning the content vs. memorizing the answers. I would tell myself to pay attention and start working hard now, also, take advantage of the free education and not have free periods.

The worst part about George Fox University is that they design everything around students that live on campus. They have many of the fun events in the later hours (usually after dinner) and for someone like me that lives about 20 miles away, it's tough to either drive home after my classes end at 3, and then drive back at 9PM for a movie on campus. Since gas is super expensive, I have the other option of staying around on campus for six hours... Not much of a choice.

The most frustrating part about college is definitly the homework. If you dont have good study habits, it's very hard to keep up with the work load.

Joshua

We are a Christian university that strives to make everyone feel like a part of a community, to succeed in school so that they can succeed in the workplace, and to teach people how to be influential in the world.

As a current college student, there are many things that I wish that I would have done to better prepare myself for the college experience. I always knew that college was going to be more difficult then high school, but I didn't quite prepare myself for the ways in which college is more difficult. I always thought that in college there would be more homework and that it was going to be a lot more difficult, which is not entirely the case. The fact is that most of college is based on tests and exams, and these are what can kill you, if you're not ready for them. If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would make sure to tell myself to work on my study habits, and to make sure that I knew the material talked about in class by reading the books. I would also tell myself to make sure that I got work done early and did not procastinate. I have found all of these things to be the things that I struggle with now, and if I could have better prepared for them in the past I would have.

I really love the small class sizes and the feeling of a close community. The professors are also really good at what they teach and care about the students.

Jeanette

A beautiful, strong, community that emphasizes academics, and above all, Jesus--this university has become my home.

Do not be so worried about where you should go to college. You will probably enjoy whichever college you choose. The distance you are from home ends up being farther than you originally expected because you are busier and can't go home as often, so even if you are somewhat close to home, you won't go home as much as you may have originally thought. You will not get as much financial aid as you expect. Apply for scholarships!!!! You will not get as many grants and scholarships from the colleges as you expect. Don't give up applying for scholarships! College is harder than you expect, no matter how good of a student you are in high school. You are busier, and have more homework. Hard classes and/or lots of credits is manageable, as long as you can discipline yourself to study even when you want to socialize. At first it may feel like you don't know anyone, but you will soon be very familiar with the people on your floor and they will not be strangers anymore!

GFU has a strong, Christian environment. It is a quiet, peaceful university, yet alive and beautiful. I have met many strong Christians that have challenged my faith and helped me grow in ways I never expected. Chapels are interesting, and the teachers are kind, approachable, and understanding. Many people are strong Christians and challenge others to be strong Christians too.

My classmates are fun, educationally driven, inclusive, helpful; when a teacher asks them to do something, they are more likely to put a lot of effort into the assignment; if I were to ask them for help, they would be more likely to respond favorably to me.

Be yourself, but be openminded. There is nothing greater than arriving on a campus and making a change as your own individual, but there is nothing more devestating than limiting your opportunities by being obstinant. Flexibility is the name of the game. College is a place where you will evolve, as an academic, a worker, a friend, a lover, a responsible contributor to life, and a person. So pay attention to all the subtle hints and details that can pass you by, they are the most important. But once you have taken note, do; Do everything you can; Experience everything offered by the college, the campus, friends, professors, and random situations. To let experience pass, is to let possible life-changing events pass. What you garner from watching and doing will have the greatest effect on your college experience, as well as who you become as a person. Think of college as a training ground for real life, a safety net where you learn the ground rules, so when you arrive at your office, or the real estate agency, or the loan agency, or the bank as a fledgling, you can succeed as yourself, an individual.

A tie between the campus community/laid back feel on campus and the helpfulness of professors, because these factors really allow the student to integrate and feel comfortable in class and socially.

Brandon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself that all of the stress that I was going through applying to college, and figuring out how to pay for it, is completely worth it. The friendships I have made at George Fox University are completely worth the time and the money. The education is excellent, and that everything will work out in the end. Worrying about school does not matter, there is nothing that I can do about it. Go with what happens, and do not stress. Another thing that I would tell myself, is that no matter what happens, there is always another way to work around it. Nothing is new under the sun, and there is always another way to get where you want to go.

I wish that I had known how to properly study before I got to college. High school was relaxed, and I did not get the chance to learn how to study properly. It took halfway through the first semester to figure out what I was doing with my classes and I finally realized how to study for my classes.

I tell everybody that George Fox University is the Best Christian school in the nation. It has an amazing academic program, it is hard, but it is very rewarding. The professors care about the students, and take time to invest in them. They want the students to succede and care aout the well being of the students.

Cristasha

Begin making plans for financial aid and possible paths of study as soon as possible. You may not know right away what you want to study, but beginning to narrow that field down and take the necessary steps to make those goals become a reality is crucial to succeeding in a college setting. You are literally paying to attend each class, so the more you know about your own interests and aspirations, the less shuffling between majors and less money you'll waste, and the more fun you'll have as you'll be persuing somehting that you actually want to do. Look for jobs during school that have a similar makeup to your future career choice; this will open up opportunities for you when you are applying for internships or looking for careers after school. I would remind them to take their period in school very seriously, and take time to build quality relationships and enrich their worldview and beliefs.

While many different kinds of people attend this university, an outgoing, acedmically focused, Christian-centered student from a conservative background would fit in best here.

Despite recent "attempts" to diversify, George Fox is attended almost entirely by white upper middle class conservative evangelical Christians with little experience or desire to understand or integrate themselves into any other culture. I don't see the necessary push by some faculty to create opportunities or discussions that would take students out of their comfort zone and really cultivate mult-cultural growth. People talk about the students here coming from a bubble of like minded sociopolitical and religious viewpoints, and for the most part they are right. Some faculty have taken steps to improve this environment.

My classmates are generally friendly and helpful. It is usually easy to find someone to study with or to get help from on homework.

I would tell myself not to stress out too much about picking a major right away. When I started as a freshman in college, I had declared a major right away, but I soon found out that there was more that I was not aware of, and I added a second major my second year in college. Once you get here, you start to find out where you really belong. High school doesn't matter that much in the long run.

I brag about our music department and the math/computer science departments. I am involved in all of them and I feel like they are great programs.

Becky

Dear me, Don't freak out, college is not going to kill you. It will be challenging and fun at the same time. Do your work and put in the effort but don't stress about it. Always take some time to just chill out, meet new people and compare different lives. Learning your schoolwork is almost as important as learning from your friends and classmates because you need both to be successful at college and ultimately at life. Work hard, have fun, enjoy the ride!

Small classes, great science program, good friends

Everyone, from the professors, students, to everyone in-between, cares for each other, not to mention that they are passionate about serving God.

They are fun, hilarious, diligent, friendly, and enjoy getting to know more about you.

While you are about to step into the strange world of college life, don't be afraid. Everything will seem new at first, but you will figure things out in no time! Remember that you are going to college for a reason, so stay focused on your goal. Yet, have some good, quality fun. You will meet so many incredible people that you will begin to wonder how you ever survived so long without them. Oh, and be warned, college is a lot harder than high school!!! No worries though, it is possible to achieve the grade that you desire, but don't cheat yourself from obtaining the highest grade possible. Don't sell yourself short from an opportunity of a lifetime. If you ever think that you can't do it, just remember that you made it this far and that there is no turning back. Rule #1: Don't procrastinate! Life if much harder if you do. Rule #2: Enjoy where you are at because few people have the opportunity to go to college. Embrace learning and life, and if you fail, its only because you refused to continue to do what you felt called to do.

Amber

George Fox is a Christian school that is truly ruted in Christ.

George Fox is a Christian school that is truly ruted in Christ.

How about this one? It has the major I want. This one is a small town, or should I go with the big city university. There are so many things to consider when it comes to finding choosing the college or university that will be the start of "the real world" as you know it. The main thing to keep in mind about it all is, does this fit me? There are so many great schools with outstanding reputations but if it doesn't fir you, then all its credentials are of no value. It's important to find the one just for you. Things to consider are as follows: private vs. public, and if private than secular vs. religious, small college vs large college, majors that are offered, travel opportunities and acedemics. When looking at a school make a list of what you want first so you can measue them up by your "wish list" Once you find the perfect school, apply and hope for the best.

Everything. Its the best school ever!! I love the Christian atomosphere though the most.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.