Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Make sure you take time for yourself, and learn about time management, and don't get overwhelmed. College is such a big transition, so learn about that, and go out and talk to people, and push yourself out of your comfort zone.

People who are open and friendly, even people who are shy, but definetly people who love to make new friends and praise God and worship him. I have learned so much and have grown up so much, and that is the kind of people who should go to George Fox.

I really can't answer this, becuase there are many types of people who attend this school. Perhaps someone who disrupts people while they are in class, or people who tag or who are into drugs. This is a school where growth is all about, and if you are not willing to change your lifestyle, then I don't think this is the right kind of school for you.

Grace

George Fox University is an academic and community-minded school, where students engage in difficult world problems while learning to communicate proficiently and build strong relationships with others.

Learn to budget well, and save every last dollar while you can! Do not be afraid to start conversations with strangers; Some of the most interesting people are sitting right across from you at a coffee shop. Finally, do not be stuck on one career or one major. There are so many exciting opportunities, and you need to take them when they are offered to you!

George Fox University makes it difficult to save money with all of the food and living requirements. It is a major hassle to be forced to live on campus for three years.

Logan

Grounded in their relationship with God and enthusiastically involved in the student Community.

The only potentially bad thing about George Fox is its monetary cost. Due to the fact that GFU is a private, Christian school its tuition is higher than that of the public colleges and frankly, some of the other private colleges as well. This creats more complications for students who come from a less fortunate background, to attend.

Jerika

Fun, energetic, people who always reach out.

Take time discover who you are, do what is important to you. Be who you want to be, and most important, when other people tell you what to do, do what you know is right, because you will make the right choices, and you will do the right things. Be brave, be bold, and dare to be everything you want to be.

Aaron

Don't worry too much about your life being radically different once you get to college. It is different, but you'll adapt to the day-to-day tasks fairly easily Make sure you have everything in order, though. You'll get more freedom, but you also have to self-discipline more, because people will not hold your hand as much. You have to start doing things for yourself. Don't feel too bad if you're not sure what you're doing, because that's okay, you're not supposed to just magically know how to do this adult stuff. You have to ask and research like everyone else.

Andrea

DON'T WAIT! Even if you want to go with the father of your daughter in life (however temporary that may be) DON'T drop out of college! Find SOME WAY to make it work so that your mom can see you graduate with a degree before she passes on suddenly in 2010.

Steffanie

George Fox is best know for making students known on campus and having a small, commuity feel.

I would tell myself to apply everywhere because you should not limit your options based on what you think you want out of a school. Also, remember that you will have to pay your loans someday so do not rule out living at home just because you want to go somewhere new.

Students that are not interested in partying and are interested in strengthening/having a relationship with God should attend George Fox.

Bailey

Overall, I love George Fox! It's a pretty small university, which is nice because I recognize faces everywhere I go, but there is always room to meet new people. The class sizes are relatively small and that provides a great opportunity to establish a relationship with your professor beyond the grade that they are giving you. Student life at George Fox is the best! There are always events going on and ways to get involved. We have a group for just about every type of interest and if there isn't a group that you want, you're free to start it up. Because George Fox is a faith based university, there are a few rules that you wouldn't find at larger universities. For example, we are a dry, tobacco free campus. No drinking or tobacco use regardless of age. We also have "floor hours"- no mixed gender sleep-overs! George Fox is a super close community, we watch out for each other. A lot of students joke about the George Fox "bubble." There is so much going on right here, on campus, that most of us are a little clueless as to what is going on in the surrounding area.

Describe the dorms.

Dorm life is so much fun! In fact, I even lived in a freshman dorm my sophomore year because it is such a blast. Most halls consist of 25 students with one big bathroom for the whole hall (which is not nearly as bad as it seems, trust me). There are all women halls and all men halls, none are co-ed. All of the floors plan a lot of fun events together and usually get to be close friends. Each women's hall is paired with a men's hall as "brother/sister halls," that they do a lot of events with. Freshman dorms is where a lot of people meet their best friends for their college years. Each dorm has a lobby where a lot of students hang out. They are open 24 hours a day to the students who live in that dorm building. This is where the majority of late night studying happens, the funnest game nights take place, and basically the central hub of student life for freshman.

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends are pretty quiet around George Fox. It seems like there are different events happening most weekends. When there aren't any officially planned events, though, students like to get together for movie nights or game nights and just hang out. Sundays are almost always reserved for church and catching up on all the homework that will be due in the next week.

There are a lot of really great traditions around George Fox University. My favorite is probably the Medallion Search. Each year Bruin Heritage Society members hide a medallion somewhere on campus. There are few restrictions as to it's hiding place. It starts on a Monday. They hand out a clue to where the medallion is hidden. Then, each day a new clue is dispersed in the morning. The first person to find the medallion and bring it to the office wins a hefty prize. This is so fun because students come together to try and decode the complicated clues, which usually involve some George Fox history. During the week of the Medallion Search it is not uncommon to see students searching high and low in all sorts of crazy places around campus. It's a blast!

Tell us about the food and dining options.

We call the cafeteria the Bon because it is run by Bon Appetit. They try to mix up the options on a regular basis. Each meal there are 3 to 4 options for a main course and there is always a salad bar and soup options. We have one big dining room where everyone on the meal plan eats. Overall, the food and dining options are pretty good.

The community. As you walk around campus nearly everyone that you pass will smile and say hello. We're small, so you always run into someone that you know. Since the campus is so little, we often yell a hello to our best friends if we see them walking on the other side of campus. It's great!

When you step off campus what do you see?

Well, it depends in what direction you step. Campus is surrounded by neighborhoods on 3 sides and Hwy 99W. Newberg is a nice little town with a cute little downtown strip. We have Fred Meyer and Safeway just down the road and just about anything you need within a 15 minute drive.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene isn't very popular here in comparison to other universities. Don't get me wrong, we still show up at games in our school colors and cheer on the Bruins, but you have to understand that we are a DIII school. However, the sports scene is in the middle of a BIG change-up. We will be getting a football team in 2013 and we'll have to see what kind of crowd that attracts. It will bring a whole new dynamic to George Fox.

Our campus is beautiful! In the fall there are shades of yellows, oranges, and reds that I didn't even know existed. At Christmas time the whole campus is lit up with pretty lights. In the spring, campus is all bright green with splashes of color from all the flowers. It's always so pretty! If you were walking around, admiring the campus, students would at least smile and say hello as they passed if not ask if they can help direct you where you're trying to go.

What are your classes like?

They're mostly small, very interactive, and interesting. I always feel comfortable asking questions if I need to and my profs are always helpful. Students usually work together to help each other out.

ASC is the student government and they plan a lot of the fun activities around campus. An example of an event that ASC just hosted was the Lip Sync contest. There were about 6 groups that choreographed a routine and the auditorium was packed full of students who were there to watch. It was a blast! Freshman dorm halls is where most people make their closest friends. Most halls consist of about 25 students and they do a lot of events together. As a junior, my best friends are still the guys and girls that I lived in the dorms with my freshman year. We don't have Greek life, so don't consider that. But, there are enough events and activities going on on a regular basis that we don't miss out on Greek life.

George Fox students are predominately white, but there is a little bit of everything. We have a large population of Asian international students studying here too. There are a ton of opportunities to interact with students from all different backgrounds. Personally, I have friends from Malaysia, China, Russia, tiny country towns, big cities, and more. Students here represent all different lifestyles and we are constantly learning from one another. If you walk into the Bon (aka the cafeteria) you'll see that there is a wide variety of students and they all interact with each other. It's hard to distinguish specific groups or cliques because most all students intermingle.

Classes at George Fox are small, so students get the attention that they need. Whenever we are having a problem understanding something, it's no big deal to stop by your profs office and get a little help and they're happy to do it. Professors and students alike are on a first name basis. It's really nice knowing that my professors know who I am and would say hi if they saw me outside of class. But even more than that, my professors care about how I am doing, both personally and academically. When my grades are slipping, my profs have always been there to help me pull them up and when I have had family emergencies back home, my profs have worked with me so that I could go home and be with family. Where else can you get that? As a double major in Communications and Spanish with a minor in International Studies, I always have a hard time planning my course schedule. Something always overlaps! But, my advisers are really good about working with me to make sure that I get every class that I need in order to graduate in 4 years. George Fox is a liberal arts school, so we are expected to get a well-rounded education. I've taken classes that fit in nearly every field of study. But, when it comes to my specific major requirements, my professors are making sure that they are teaching me things that will be useful in the working world. With every topic that we study we discuss where we can use this in our intended careers or how we can use that skill to boost our resumes. Overall, I feel like George Fox is providing me with an outstanding education.

I think the most common stereotype of students at George Fox is that we are all crazy Bible thumpers. Is it accurate? Not so much. Yes, the majority of George Fox students are Christian, after all it is a Christian university. But, I don't think that we are entirely crazy and most students are totally open to discuss other ideologies. Most students are pretty open minded and are not going to try to cram Christianity down your throat.

Philip

Fox is well known for the attention that students get from their teachers. Classes are relatively small allowing teachers to track and and interact with each student's individual academic progress. Professors also avail themselves for out of class help. This comes in the form of office hours and/or providing a phone number which the students can use to reach them at home.

Your college career is YOUR college career. Your university experience is what you make of it. No matter where you go. Your degree comes to you as a result of your efforts. Its possible to almost skate through high school and find yourself graduated. College is way more interactive than this. If you pour in poor work, you get poor grades. I have taken semesters lacking ANY extra credit options. You get out what you put in. Be careful about what decisions you let others make for you, even if they are your parents, because the results will be left in YOUR lap.

What do students complain about most?

What students seem to complain about the most would probably be the bon. I guess eating from the same place three times a day, seven days a week can be a little too much on an individual. Sunday night dinners seem to be the most unpopular though.

When you step off campus what do you see?

I come from a very diverse educational and cultural background and so i guess i adapt very easily when interacting with off-campus life. Be it meeting individuals from an educational institution unlike ours or simply interacting with the world outside school.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports has many different faces at George Fox University. A large portion of our campus took part in sports in high school and so wished to carry this on into college. Some made it into the school teams. Others who did not have time or the skill to make it into the school teams but still desired a structure sport environment take part in the intramural sports program. Many who do not participate in either still take the time to support those in either one.

George Fox is a community-oriented institution. Depending on the visitor's back ground it can be overwhelming. To have so many people genuinely care about his or her well-being. After a while though this becomes a very comforting recurrence.

What are your classes like?

Classes vary in depending on the program and personality. For instance I have taken a intro to graphics design class which i found very simple and quite stimulating creatively. However, a number of my classmates who would not consider themselves creative found it more challenging that stimulating. The inverse happens when it comes to humanities courses. I am not as good with memorizing dates and names and so i have to assert myself much more in my history classes than some of my classmates who have a passion for the subject.

Due to the personal attention given my the professors, students are continually challenged to push themselves academically. In most of the classes that i have taken, students tend to be more team players than competitors. Rarely do professors organize study groups. It is usually students who initiate this. A lot of the learning at George Fox University is facilitated by intellectual discussion between students in and out of class. Students have been known to go to coffee with professors in order to further discuss topics of the student's interest. These practices ensure that the student owns their education and is as equipped as possible for their future vocation.

One of the more popular stereotypes held by people is that the school's spiritual life is overwhelming considering the number of students coming from a home-schooled and/or Christian backgrounds. It is true that a large portion of the student body comes from a Christian background. However, due to the diversity of backgrounds, it makes this an ideal environment to grow and mature independently. Students get to disagree and learn from each other in and out of class.

Kimberly

The first thing I would tell myself is to get a job and really get going on the scholarships. You'll regret it later if you don't. I would also tell myself that it's ok to not know exactly what you want to do after you graduate. It will get discouraging at times, but you'll get through it. Just keep exploring all of your options and do your research. Finally, I would tell myself to make an effort to get to know people more than just the first few weeks of school. Have roomie dates and movie nights. Put yourself out there. Don't always wait to be talked to -- make an effort and talk to someone else first. Just be friendly, and be a good friend.

It's not so much that I wish I had known how much it would really cost me, but I wish I would have paid more attention to how much my education at Fox was going to cost me. If I'd really taken it to heart, I might have put in more effort to find ways to help pay for it instead of just expecting my parents to pay for it all.

I brag the most about how much I love it at Fox. I really love the environment and the community. I enjoy my classes. I have great friends. There are plenty of events to go to that I enjoy. There's plenty of opportunity for spiritual, academic, emotional, and physical growth. The people are friendly and encouraging. It really is a great school.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.