Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Bailey

Overall, I love George Fox! It's a pretty small university, which is nice because I recognize faces everywhere I go, but there is always room to meet new people. The class sizes are relatively small and that provides a great opportunity to establish a relationship with your professor beyond the grade that they are giving you. Student life at George Fox is the best! There are always events going on and ways to get involved. We have a group for just about every type of interest and if there isn't a group that you want, you're free to start it up. Because George Fox is a faith based university, there are a few rules that you wouldn't find at larger universities. For example, we are a dry, tobacco free campus. No drinking or tobacco use regardless of age. We also have "floor hours"- no mixed gender sleep-overs! George Fox is a super close community, we watch out for each other. A lot of students joke about the George Fox "bubble." There is so much going on right here, on campus, that most of us are a little clueless as to what is going on in the surrounding area.

Describe the dorms.

Dorm life is so much fun! In fact, I even lived in a freshman dorm my sophomore year because it is such a blast. Most halls consist of 25 students with one big bathroom for the whole hall (which is not nearly as bad as it seems, trust me). There are all women halls and all men halls, none are co-ed. All of the floors plan a lot of fun events together and usually get to be close friends. Each women's hall is paired with a men's hall as "brother/sister halls," that they do a lot of events with. Freshman dorms is where a lot of people meet their best friends for their college years. Each dorm has a lobby where a lot of students hang out. They are open 24 hours a day to the students who live in that dorm building. This is where the majority of late night studying happens, the funnest game nights take place, and basically the central hub of student life for freshman.

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends are pretty quiet around George Fox. It seems like there are different events happening most weekends. When there aren't any officially planned events, though, students like to get together for movie nights or game nights and just hang out. Sundays are almost always reserved for church and catching up on all the homework that will be due in the next week.

There are a lot of really great traditions around George Fox University. My favorite is probably the Medallion Search. Each year Bruin Heritage Society members hide a medallion somewhere on campus. There are few restrictions as to it's hiding place. It starts on a Monday. They hand out a clue to where the medallion is hidden. Then, each day a new clue is dispersed in the morning. The first person to find the medallion and bring it to the office wins a hefty prize. This is so fun because students come together to try and decode the complicated clues, which usually involve some George Fox history. During the week of the Medallion Search it is not uncommon to see students searching high and low in all sorts of crazy places around campus. It's a blast!

Tell us about the food and dining options.

We call the cafeteria the Bon because it is run by Bon Appetit. They try to mix up the options on a regular basis. Each meal there are 3 to 4 options for a main course and there is always a salad bar and soup options. We have one big dining room where everyone on the meal plan eats. Overall, the food and dining options are pretty good.

The community. As you walk around campus nearly everyone that you pass will smile and say hello. We're small, so you always run into someone that you know. Since the campus is so little, we often yell a hello to our best friends if we see them walking on the other side of campus. It's great!

When you step off campus what do you see?

Well, it depends in what direction you step. Campus is surrounded by neighborhoods on 3 sides and Hwy 99W. Newberg is a nice little town with a cute little downtown strip. We have Fred Meyer and Safeway just down the road and just about anything you need within a 15 minute drive.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene isn't very popular here in comparison to other universities. Don't get me wrong, we still show up at games in our school colors and cheer on the Bruins, but you have to understand that we are a DIII school. However, the sports scene is in the middle of a BIG change-up. We will be getting a football team in 2013 and we'll have to see what kind of crowd that attracts. It will bring a whole new dynamic to George Fox.

Our campus is beautiful! In the fall there are shades of yellows, oranges, and reds that I didn't even know existed. At Christmas time the whole campus is lit up with pretty lights. In the spring, campus is all bright green with splashes of color from all the flowers. It's always so pretty! If you were walking around, admiring the campus, students would at least smile and say hello as they passed if not ask if they can help direct you where you're trying to go.

What are your classes like?

They're mostly small, very interactive, and interesting. I always feel comfortable asking questions if I need to and my profs are always helpful. Students usually work together to help each other out.

ASC is the student government and they plan a lot of the fun activities around campus. An example of an event that ASC just hosted was the Lip Sync contest. There were about 6 groups that choreographed a routine and the auditorium was packed full of students who were there to watch. It was a blast! Freshman dorm halls is where most people make their closest friends. Most halls consist of about 25 students and they do a lot of events together. As a junior, my best friends are still the guys and girls that I lived in the dorms with my freshman year. We don't have Greek life, so don't consider that. But, there are enough events and activities going on on a regular basis that we don't miss out on Greek life.

George Fox students are predominately white, but there is a little bit of everything. We have a large population of Asian international students studying here too. There are a ton of opportunities to interact with students from all different backgrounds. Personally, I have friends from Malaysia, China, Russia, tiny country towns, big cities, and more. Students here represent all different lifestyles and we are constantly learning from one another. If you walk into the Bon (aka the cafeteria) you'll see that there is a wide variety of students and they all interact with each other. It's hard to distinguish specific groups or cliques because most all students intermingle.

Classes at George Fox are small, so students get the attention that they need. Whenever we are having a problem understanding something, it's no big deal to stop by your profs office and get a little help and they're happy to do it. Professors and students alike are on a first name basis. It's really nice knowing that my professors know who I am and would say hi if they saw me outside of class. But even more than that, my professors care about how I am doing, both personally and academically. When my grades are slipping, my profs have always been there to help me pull them up and when I have had family emergencies back home, my profs have worked with me so that I could go home and be with family. Where else can you get that? As a double major in Communications and Spanish with a minor in International Studies, I always have a hard time planning my course schedule. Something always overlaps! But, my advisers are really good about working with me to make sure that I get every class that I need in order to graduate in 4 years. George Fox is a liberal arts school, so we are expected to get a well-rounded education. I've taken classes that fit in nearly every field of study. But, when it comes to my specific major requirements, my professors are making sure that they are teaching me things that will be useful in the working world. With every topic that we study we discuss where we can use this in our intended careers or how we can use that skill to boost our resumes. Overall, I feel like George Fox is providing me with an outstanding education.

I think the most common stereotype of students at George Fox is that we are all crazy Bible thumpers. Is it accurate? Not so much. Yes, the majority of George Fox students are Christian, after all it is a Christian university. But, I don't think that we are entirely crazy and most students are totally open to discuss other ideologies. Most students are pretty open minded and are not going to try to cram Christianity down your throat.

Philip

Fox is well known for the attention that students get from their teachers. Classes are relatively small allowing teachers to track and and interact with each student's individual academic progress. Professors also avail themselves for out of class help. This comes in the form of office hours and/or providing a phone number which the students can use to reach them at home.

Your college career is YOUR college career. Your university experience is what you make of it. No matter where you go. Your degree comes to you as a result of your efforts. Its possible to almost skate through high school and find yourself graduated. College is way more interactive than this. If you pour in poor work, you get poor grades. I have taken semesters lacking ANY extra credit options. You get out what you put in. Be careful about what decisions you let others make for you, even if they are your parents, because the results will be left in YOUR lap.

What do students complain about most?

What students seem to complain about the most would probably be the bon. I guess eating from the same place three times a day, seven days a week can be a little too much on an individual. Sunday night dinners seem to be the most unpopular though.

When you step off campus what do you see?

I come from a very diverse educational and cultural background and so i guess i adapt very easily when interacting with off-campus life. Be it meeting individuals from an educational institution unlike ours or simply interacting with the world outside school.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports has many different faces at George Fox University. A large portion of our campus took part in sports in high school and so wished to carry this on into college. Some made it into the school teams. Others who did not have time or the skill to make it into the school teams but still desired a structure sport environment take part in the intramural sports program. Many who do not participate in either still take the time to support those in either one.

George Fox is a community-oriented institution. Depending on the visitor's back ground it can be overwhelming. To have so many people genuinely care about his or her well-being. After a while though this becomes a very comforting recurrence.

What are your classes like?

Classes vary in depending on the program and personality. For instance I have taken a intro to graphics design class which i found very simple and quite stimulating creatively. However, a number of my classmates who would not consider themselves creative found it more challenging that stimulating. The inverse happens when it comes to humanities courses. I am not as good with memorizing dates and names and so i have to assert myself much more in my history classes than some of my classmates who have a passion for the subject.

Due to the personal attention given my the professors, students are continually challenged to push themselves academically. In most of the classes that i have taken, students tend to be more team players than competitors. Rarely do professors organize study groups. It is usually students who initiate this. A lot of the learning at George Fox University is facilitated by intellectual discussion between students in and out of class. Students have been known to go to coffee with professors in order to further discuss topics of the student's interest. These practices ensure that the student owns their education and is as equipped as possible for their future vocation.

One of the more popular stereotypes held by people is that the school's spiritual life is overwhelming considering the number of students coming from a home-schooled and/or Christian backgrounds. It is true that a large portion of the student body comes from a Christian background. However, due to the diversity of backgrounds, it makes this an ideal environment to grow and mature independently. Students get to disagree and learn from each other in and out of class.

Kimberly

The first thing I would tell myself is to get a job and really get going on the scholarships. You'll regret it later if you don't. I would also tell myself that it's ok to not know exactly what you want to do after you graduate. It will get discouraging at times, but you'll get through it. Just keep exploring all of your options and do your research. Finally, I would tell myself to make an effort to get to know people more than just the first few weeks of school. Have roomie dates and movie nights. Put yourself out there. Don't always wait to be talked to -- make an effort and talk to someone else first. Just be friendly, and be a good friend.

It's not so much that I wish I had known how much it would really cost me, but I wish I would have paid more attention to how much my education at Fox was going to cost me. If I'd really taken it to heart, I might have put in more effort to find ways to help pay for it instead of just expecting my parents to pay for it all.

I brag the most about how much I love it at Fox. I really love the environment and the community. I enjoy my classes. I have great friends. There are plenty of events to go to that I enjoy. There's plenty of opportunity for spiritual, academic, emotional, and physical growth. The people are friendly and encouraging. It really is a great school.

My classmates have become my family. Moving a way from a large family was more difficult than I thought it would be, however going to a small school has also given me the opportunity to get to know my classmates on a more personal basis. It's been a great experience.

I feel very fortunate to attend a small college. This has given me an opportunity to participate in a small classroom setting as well as have more opportunities for hands on experiences in lab settings. It has also given me the opportunity to get to know my professors on a more personal level, which has made it easier to ask questions and therefore has strengthened my knowledge. I think attending a small school has it disadvantages, but I feel as though the opportunity to learn is far greater an advantage than all the other opportunities a larger college might have to offer. My college experience has also given me the opportunity to grow as an individual. I know longer have my family and security of home to fall back on. Although these lessons are some times a challenge they are also exciting. Like all life challenges, I continue to learn and grow and look forward to serving other's as a nurse when I graduate.

I love the fact that when I go to class my professors know me by name. The class sizes are so small it gives us a personal relationship with our professors that in turn gives us a better opportunity to learn. This also gives us a better opportunity to learn in a lab setting, which is where I spend a lot of my time.

Alex

I have grown up a lot in the past two years that I have been in college. In high school, I never needed to study, because the information came natural to me. In my freshman year of college, I realized the same methods would not work. I had to learn how to balance school, and work. Now that I am approaching the end of my sophmore year, I have learned the delicate balance of work and play. I have improved my grades, and social life. College has been an irreplacable experience so far, and has taught me not only scholarly information, but has led me down the path to finding out who I trully am. College teaches it's students priceless lessons about life, and how to deal with problems. Most of what you encounter in college can be applied to the world that awaits you when you gradute. I have learned countless life skills that will help me wherever I end up after college. I am currently beginning the journey to transfer to a four-year university, and look forward to the new experiences that lie ahead. I am certain that I have the foundation that I need.

Carla

I start going to school on January 18, 2011. I am very excited and looking forward in succeeding in being a meical assistant. I believe its going to be worth everything to go into college and stuying thhis career. I hope i get enough help, financially, to complete this goal in becoming a medical assistant.

Melissa

It's Christ-centered philosophy of education, its commitment to serving the community, and the attention given to individual students.

The Christ-centered and extremely supportive community. Also, the professors care deeply about every individual student and work hard to make sure they succeed while providing them with an excellent education.

Academically, my college experience has been everything I expected: the ideal environment to learn the skills relevant and necessary for success in the Computer Science industry. Perhaps even more valuable than the knowledge I've gained attending classes are the more unexpected ways the George Fox community has changed me. Whenever I arrive on campus after spending a break at home I'm filled with an overwhelming sense of peace. I am surrounded by students and faculty who continually live out their faith through action--loving and serving others wherever there is need--and who support and encourage me to develop my talents and share them with the world. Before college I lived in an area known for its violence, gangs and drug culture. Although I was not involved in any of those, the atmosphere was disheartening. In sharp contrast to the community around my home, my college peers have given me hope and fresh perspectives on life while enabling me to overcome deep-rooted fears. I am grateful that my attendence has offered me genuine healing in addition to knowledge, for what good is a scholar who is too broken and fearful to make a difference in the world?

Willis

I visited several colleges, but was drawn to the sense of community I found at Fox. Everyone here - professors, staff, students - cares about each other. I have never before been surrounded by so many genuinely kind and caring individuals.

While the majority of the students here are white, there is also a heavy Chinese population, and I have several friends of various ethnicities. Most students have a fair amount of money to begin with, but there are also several (such as myself) who are here on scholarships, grants, and loans. It is pretty much assumed that if you are here, you are a Christian, and that is true of about 98% of the people here. If you are a Christian, you will fit right in. However, if you are not a Christian (again like myself), you may have some difficulty adjusting. I have never felt unwelcome here, though I do often feel like a little bit of an outsider because I do not share the same beliefs and values as my peers. Though politics seldom come up in conversation, I think it is safe to assume that most students here would fall into the Republican party. Despite my differences with the rest of the student body, I still very much feel like part of the community. Cliques are not very prevalent here; walking around campus I get the sense that everyone is friends. While this impression may not be entirely accurate, I can personally attest to the fact that I have a diverse group of friends, and nearly everyone I have met has been friendly to me even before I knew them. In my own experience, friendships have formed quickly and lasted long. At least in my freshman class, most of the guys tend to be Engineering majors, while most of the girls go for Nursing. Computer Science and Business are also relatively popular. Though the English, Arts, Music, and Theater programs are all much smaller in terms of participants than I would like, they all have good instructors and decent course offerings. There is a definite artsy vibe, but it can be hard to find. Though somewhat unrelated, I would also like to mention an incident in which I left my MacBook, iPod, Oakleys, and all my books unattended for at least 20 minutes in the middle of the Quad on a sunny Fall afternoon. They were untouched when I returned. If you ask me, that's saying something. People dress pretty stylishly for the most part (there are lots of hipsters), but girls seldom (if ever) show any skin out of fear of judgement.

If you're a Christian, you'll love it here. From the daily lifestyles and attitudes of students to campus events and off-campus activities, most of what goes on here is in someway related to or results from the university's Christian focus. That said, most of the people here are not your stereotypical Christians; they are sensitive and intelligent. If you're not a Christian, you will not feel rejected, but you might not always fit in. If you're looking for a good education, you'll find it here, but if you're looking for parties, you won't. Quality of food varies from meal to meal, and, while a few of the dorms and classrooms are newer, most of them are older and not especially luxurious.

All of these stereotypes are true to an extent; however, as with all stereotypes, there are exceptions. There is much more to the picture than meets the eye.

The small size of the university (I think about 3500 students) and the low student to faculty ratio (14:1?) allows for small classes and personal attention from professors outside of class. Most of my classes thus far have had about 35 students. The professors I have had have all been very knowledgable and seem to care not only about me as a student, but as an individual. Most of them have been pretty demanding, but have done their best to equip me with the knowledge and information necessary to succeed in their classes. Most students here strive for excellence in all their classes and seem to have clear visions for their lives after graduation and have plans in place to reach their unusually ambitious goals.

Ultimate Frisbee, video games, ping pong, watching movies, Facebook, and simply talking are the primary sources of on-campus entertainment. And of course studying, if you count that. There is no Greek life, and no party scene whatsoever. Coming here, I expected to find a rebellious and experimental subculture, but have met only a couple individuals who come remotely close to fitting that description. For those of us who do not always abide by the Lifestyle Agreement (which you can find online), talk of activity that violates it is generally secretive and suppressed. The majority of students here probably don't even know what cigarettes, beer, or anything else of that nature tastes like. I know people who have transferred specifically because of this, and I am seriously considering doing the same. There is no night life in Newberg (though it does have far more coffee shops than most towns of its size and awesome pet shop); you have to drive an hour into Portland for that. Even in Portland, there is not much you can legally do at night if you are under 21. However, if you are looking for good, clean fun, you'll have no trouble finding it here. There are several clubs concerned with social justice and finding solutions to societal problems, and a heavy emphasis is placed on volunteering. The campus shuts down for one day each semester for Serve Day, on which all the students volunteer in the community, and there are a couple optional Serve Trips each year. Everyone is required to attend chapel at least 21 times each semester, but most students go more than that. Last semester, intramural basketball, dodgeball, volleyball were offered, in addition to flag football and ultimate Frisbee clubs and collegiate level athletics. Oh, and as far as dating goes, if you're expecting to get laid, you will be disappointed. However, if you are in the market for a "hot and holy spouse" or a "ring by spring," you could be in luck. I should also mention an interesting phenomenon: the place is deserted on the weekends, especially on nice days. It feels like a ghost town walking around campus Saturday afternoons. Everyone either goes home, goes to the city or somewhere else for entertainment, or stays inside studying and playing video games. I still haven't quite figured out where everyone goes on the weekends.

They are all rich, white, Christians.

Victoria

How to take responsibility. Whether I'm late to class, or late to meeting my friends at The Bon, I have to apologize and move on. If I make a loud noise while my roommate is sleeping or don't clean my side of the room for a week I have to tell her I'm sorry and make up for it. And on the nights when I'm exhausted and putting of that 8-page paper, I'm going to be taking my lumps at 2 am, while I'm swallowing whole cups of caffeine just trying to make sense of the notes I've been taking. In college, though, taking responsibility isn't all bad. We're all here because we got good grades in high school and have goals for the nest phase of our lives. So, now we get to take the consequences for that; good ones. That means, laughing until our stomach hurts, late night Taco Bell runs, learning things we never thought about, and living in rooms the size of a closet completely loving it. The balance with responsibility is evident here, and the lessons I've learned from it is invaluable.

The worst thing about George Fox is how many people are from Oregon (as I am, too.) It's just very...Oregon. A lot of people go home on the weekends, but otherwise you don't notice it too much.

My school is great when it comes to the people. Everyone has been genuine and friendly and really just kind. I've made tons of friends and laughed a lot. Even the professors here go by their first names, so we can break down that professor/student barrier a little bit. It's a great place to build relationships.

Kasey

George Fox is wonderful, Christ-centered, full, giving, beautiful, and it's my favorite place in the world.

Before I came to college, I couldn't order in a restaurant because I was so shy. Stepping out of my comfort zone and coming to George Fox has taught me how to be brave, build relationships and simply find out who I am, and who I have the capability to be.

I wish I had known how to manage my time better, but that is important for college students anywhere, and indeed everyone. I also wish I had known how to handle my finances better.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.