Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Melissa

It's Christ-centered philosophy of education, its commitment to serving the community, and the attention given to individual students.

The Christ-centered and extremely supportive community. Also, the professors care deeply about every individual student and work hard to make sure they succeed while providing them with an excellent education.

Academically, my college experience has been everything I expected: the ideal environment to learn the skills relevant and necessary for success in the Computer Science industry. Perhaps even more valuable than the knowledge I've gained attending classes are the more unexpected ways the George Fox community has changed me. Whenever I arrive on campus after spending a break at home I'm filled with an overwhelming sense of peace. I am surrounded by students and faculty who continually live out their faith through action--loving and serving others wherever there is need--and who support and encourage me to develop my talents and share them with the world. Before college I lived in an area known for its violence, gangs and drug culture. Although I was not involved in any of those, the atmosphere was disheartening. In sharp contrast to the community around my home, my college peers have given me hope and fresh perspectives on life while enabling me to overcome deep-rooted fears. I am grateful that my attendence has offered me genuine healing in addition to knowledge, for what good is a scholar who is too broken and fearful to make a difference in the world?

Willis

I visited several colleges, but was drawn to the sense of community I found at Fox. Everyone here - professors, staff, students - cares about each other. I have never before been surrounded by so many genuinely kind and caring individuals.

While the majority of the students here are white, there is also a heavy Chinese population, and I have several friends of various ethnicities. Most students have a fair amount of money to begin with, but there are also several (such as myself) who are here on scholarships, grants, and loans. It is pretty much assumed that if you are here, you are a Christian, and that is true of about 98% of the people here. If you are a Christian, you will fit right in. However, if you are not a Christian (again like myself), you may have some difficulty adjusting. I have never felt unwelcome here, though I do often feel like a little bit of an outsider because I do not share the same beliefs and values as my peers. Though politics seldom come up in conversation, I think it is safe to assume that most students here would fall into the Republican party. Despite my differences with the rest of the student body, I still very much feel like part of the community. Cliques are not very prevalent here; walking around campus I get the sense that everyone is friends. While this impression may not be entirely accurate, I can personally attest to the fact that I have a diverse group of friends, and nearly everyone I have met has been friendly to me even before I knew them. In my own experience, friendships have formed quickly and lasted long. At least in my freshman class, most of the guys tend to be Engineering majors, while most of the girls go for Nursing. Computer Science and Business are also relatively popular. Though the English, Arts, Music, and Theater programs are all much smaller in terms of participants than I would like, they all have good instructors and decent course offerings. There is a definite artsy vibe, but it can be hard to find. Though somewhat unrelated, I would also like to mention an incident in which I left my MacBook, iPod, Oakleys, and all my books unattended for at least 20 minutes in the middle of the Quad on a sunny Fall afternoon. They were untouched when I returned. If you ask me, that's saying something. People dress pretty stylishly for the most part (there are lots of hipsters), but girls seldom (if ever) show any skin out of fear of judgement.

If you're a Christian, you'll love it here. From the daily lifestyles and attitudes of students to campus events and off-campus activities, most of what goes on here is in someway related to or results from the university's Christian focus. That said, most of the people here are not your stereotypical Christians; they are sensitive and intelligent. If you're not a Christian, you will not feel rejected, but you might not always fit in. If you're looking for a good education, you'll find it here, but if you're looking for parties, you won't. Quality of food varies from meal to meal, and, while a few of the dorms and classrooms are newer, most of them are older and not especially luxurious.

All of these stereotypes are true to an extent; however, as with all stereotypes, there are exceptions. There is much more to the picture than meets the eye.

The small size of the university (I think about 3500 students) and the low student to faculty ratio (14:1?) allows for small classes and personal attention from professors outside of class. Most of my classes thus far have had about 35 students. The professors I have had have all been very knowledgable and seem to care not only about me as a student, but as an individual. Most of them have been pretty demanding, but have done their best to equip me with the knowledge and information necessary to succeed in their classes. Most students here strive for excellence in all their classes and seem to have clear visions for their lives after graduation and have plans in place to reach their unusually ambitious goals.

Ultimate Frisbee, video games, ping pong, watching movies, Facebook, and simply talking are the primary sources of on-campus entertainment. And of course studying, if you count that. There is no Greek life, and no party scene whatsoever. Coming here, I expected to find a rebellious and experimental subculture, but have met only a couple individuals who come remotely close to fitting that description. For those of us who do not always abide by the Lifestyle Agreement (which you can find online), talk of activity that violates it is generally secretive and suppressed. The majority of students here probably don't even know what cigarettes, beer, or anything else of that nature tastes like. I know people who have transferred specifically because of this, and I am seriously considering doing the same. There is no night life in Newberg (though it does have far more coffee shops than most towns of its size and awesome pet shop); you have to drive an hour into Portland for that. Even in Portland, there is not much you can legally do at night if you are under 21. However, if you are looking for good, clean fun, you'll have no trouble finding it here. There are several clubs concerned with social justice and finding solutions to societal problems, and a heavy emphasis is placed on volunteering. The campus shuts down for one day each semester for Serve Day, on which all the students volunteer in the community, and there are a couple optional Serve Trips each year. Everyone is required to attend chapel at least 21 times each semester, but most students go more than that. Last semester, intramural basketball, dodgeball, volleyball were offered, in addition to flag football and ultimate Frisbee clubs and collegiate level athletics. Oh, and as far as dating goes, if you're expecting to get laid, you will be disappointed. However, if you are in the market for a "hot and holy spouse" or a "ring by spring," you could be in luck. I should also mention an interesting phenomenon: the place is deserted on the weekends, especially on nice days. It feels like a ghost town walking around campus Saturday afternoons. Everyone either goes home, goes to the city or somewhere else for entertainment, or stays inside studying and playing video games. I still haven't quite figured out where everyone goes on the weekends.

They are all rich, white, Christians.

Victoria

How to take responsibility. Whether I'm late to class, or late to meeting my friends at The Bon, I have to apologize and move on. If I make a loud noise while my roommate is sleeping or don't clean my side of the room for a week I have to tell her I'm sorry and make up for it. And on the nights when I'm exhausted and putting of that 8-page paper, I'm going to be taking my lumps at 2 am, while I'm swallowing whole cups of caffeine just trying to make sense of the notes I've been taking. In college, though, taking responsibility isn't all bad. We're all here because we got good grades in high school and have goals for the nest phase of our lives. So, now we get to take the consequences for that; good ones. That means, laughing until our stomach hurts, late night Taco Bell runs, learning things we never thought about, and living in rooms the size of a closet completely loving it. The balance with responsibility is evident here, and the lessons I've learned from it is invaluable.

The worst thing about George Fox is how many people are from Oregon (as I am, too.) It's just very...Oregon. A lot of people go home on the weekends, but otherwise you don't notice it too much.

My school is great when it comes to the people. Everyone has been genuine and friendly and really just kind. I've made tons of friends and laughed a lot. Even the professors here go by their first names, so we can break down that professor/student barrier a little bit. It's a great place to build relationships.

Kasey

George Fox is wonderful, Christ-centered, full, giving, beautiful, and it's my favorite place in the world.

Before I came to college, I couldn't order in a restaurant because I was so shy. Stepping out of my comfort zone and coming to George Fox has taught me how to be brave, build relationships and simply find out who I am, and who I have the capability to be.

I wish I had known how to manage my time better, but that is important for college students anywhere, and indeed everyone. I also wish I had known how to handle my finances better.

Christopher

They were my family away from home.

They were my family away from home.

I have learner to better understand people and not judge them by their outword appearance. With a Management degree I have had the opportunity to advance myself through my current company then if I did not have my degree. The only thing that I wish I did different was that I wished I completed the program earlier.

The class sizes are small. Going through the cohort program, my classmates felt like my family away from home. This makes it easier and more enjoyable to learn. This also allows for more one-on-one learning with the professors.

I have gotten many important qualities out of my college experience. In high school, I was always an average student. It never used to bother me, but now that I am in college, being an average student and getting average grades doesn't reflect who I really am as a person. I am a hard worker, a respectable person, and a great listener; but these qualities were not shown through my school efforts as much as they should have been. I knew that I was better than that, and that's why I knew I had to make a change that would help me to achieve my personal goals. Not only have my teachers inspired me, but my peers have been a tremendous influence on me as well. I am thankful that they helped me open my eyes to the potential that is in me. I have come to realize that college is such an important learning experience and it is an important step towards my future.

Ben

My classmates are highly motivated and are wiling to help others learn by coming along beside and nurturing.

I have gained experiences that have shaped the way I relate to people. College life is full of poeple and the better you are at relating to others, the better you understand the world. I am no longer stuck within my own box but rather have been submersed in the different cultures and personalities here on Campus. Acceptance and the appreciation of the beauty of others have been the two top things I have learned throught this experience. This has positivly set me up for the "real" world. There is no place or job where it will be just about one group of poeple. My college experience has been training me how to effectively communicate and colaborate with other poeple. Learning how to do this early on in life will save you alot of hardships and trails in the future. I really appreciate the opportunity to be exposed to these diiferent experiences which are shaping the way I think and care about others. Positivley.

The worst thing about the school is that the living quarters are relatively far away from the lecture halls. This can be a problem in getting to class on time but then again, it would your own fault.

Bethany

Where to start with what i have gotten out of college. Well everyone hears it has made me grow up and teach me to live on their own. But not for me it showed be how much i still need family and how much family means to you. The big thing that I gotten out of college was the time to grow in the Lord Jesus Christ. I have a relationship know that I have seen others have and I alway wanted. So did I grow, yes i did but i not into a grown up, i am still a baby and still my mommy. College has taught me to do things on my own and how to plan out time so that I do have time for fun and still be able to play softball and get my school work done to keep my grades up. I don't think you can tell others what college has done for you, the best way to tell is to just see what it has done in your life with their own eyes. Just have them watch you and they will see that something has change.

The student that should attend George Fox Univeristy is one that wants to grow not only phyiscal but also in their faith. The school is more of a family than a school. The students that come here will be known not only by their friends but also by their teachers that will take time to get to know you. So if you are looking for a second home than this school is for you. When coming to this school you will feel the effects right away of what a loving family.

How that everyone knows everyone and that you feel safe. The biggest thing is that the teachers get to know you on a friend level and will take you out for coffee or just sit and pray for you if you are having a hard time. They are here to help you be successful and they will do what every it takes to make that happen.

heather

College provides me with the excitement to be able to learn new things, and to move forward to attend UCLA as a design and media arts undergraduate. College is allowing me to live my dream of finishing college, and taking what I have, and will learn in the future years, and turn it into a career. Colllege will give me the gift of independence, it will empower me as I earn my own money to create a life for myself. College is so valuable because not only are you gifted an opportunity to take care of yourself, but you'll also get to do something you enjoy. College has also kept my life structured, which I need to stay focused, and lifts me up with an identity. I'm not just a disabled young woman with Bipolar, I'm a student who will soon thrive in the professional world with a sense of accomplishment knowing I have my degree and more importantly the knowledge that will open invaluable doors for me.

Chase

In college, I took the pieces of my childhood and began to form a clear picture. In college, I discovered passions burning inside me where before there had been dry kindling. In college, I formed meaningful friendships with men and women I respect and admire. In college, I proposed to my wife. In college, I was challenged to re-examin my preconceptions. In college, I experienced the rewards of hard work. In college, I learned something new every day. In college, I enjoyed my independence. In college, I began my adult life.

The best thing about George Fox was how much fun it was to take classes and learn new things. Students and professors alike would challenge my worldviews and encourage me to think more deeply about my fundamental beliefs.

I wish I had known that taking the time to keep my living space clean would have made my roommate situations so much easier.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.