Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

College has brought a whole new meaning to my schooling. I had a rough couple years and didnt realize how important school really was until i began attending Yavapai College in Prescott, AZ. I now realize how important it is to have a degree if you want to be succesful in life. Knowing that all the work and effort I put into my nursing major will pay off with a reliable jobs that include full benefits. Its a concept I couldnt tackle while I was not attending school. I now enjoy school so much and can only look forward to the benefits a degree will give me.

Justin

I've obtained from my college experience an increase in confidence and maturity as an adult. During orientation a man had said that there are only two ways for an adolescent or teenager to really become an adult and that is through the military and or college. I couldn't have agreed more because I was transferring from a community college that I attended for two years and already I had changed for the better and received a great education. It was valuable to attend and live on Fox campus for only one semester because I had gained an increase in confidence and received one hell of an education. I have to hand it to my anatomy and physiology professor Kathy Weiss who I recommend to any pre-nursing student looking for the best instructor who teaches the human body. Living on campus resulted in me learning and experiencing things that I thought I'd never experience and it changed me for the better. I learned what I wanted to be known and perceived as by others and I gained values and morals that I don't think I could have gained anywhere else.

Socializing with Christians who ought to practice what they are preached but simply dont. Its like Christian students have their own ideas of what Christians should be and I found it odd that most of them are just like anybody else except they say they believe in Christ. For me this was tuff to accept because Christian students will put up a front, they'll be nice to you but they wont want anything to do with you. I felt I witnessed to many students sit alone in the cafeteria of Fox because Christian students have their own agendas.

A student who has had negative influences in their life i.e. drugs, alcohol, and a criminal history, who dont want to give these those things up. There is a contract that you have to sign at George Fox that keeps you from having sex, drinking alcohol, using drugs of any kind, and a curfew for the opposite sex in dorms. If the student does not beleive in Christ let alone God, it could be a challenge finding other students who believe the same, which makes a social life on campus challenging. Also, someone who just wants to get by.

Aimee

Many factors made my decision easy to attend George Fox University. It?s a small private university that will enable me to graduate within four years, the student to faculty ratio is 11:1, It has a strong education department, it has a faith based campus and positive atmosphere, and 95% of students receive financial aid (on average this amount is about $20,000 annually). George Fox encourages service in the community and pursuing our individual relationships with the Lord. George Fox University is a great school and I have been pleased with my education here.

I have gotten so much out of my college experience. I have learned how to become independent, make wise choices, advocate for myself, balance time, and grow as a leader. Because of my positive experience thus far, I plan to be an RA (Residence Assistant) next year and continue to learn and grow. Attending this university has shown me how to work hard, yet at the same time depend on the Lord for the uncertainty of my future. Going to college is such a valuable opportunity. It was hard for my family to make it possible for me to attend this school and I had to work very hard, but through it all it has showed me the importance of an education and the true value of working for such an important goal. It is difficult to get by in this country without an adequate education and I have learned all of this and more through attending George Fox University.

One difficult thing for me about George Fox University is the lack of funds to enable the top Choir to go on a yearly trip/tour. The high school that I attended always traveled with our choir so that was one of the hardest things for me coming to Fox. I love the bonding and learning experiences as a musician/ performer you gain from this type of opportunity. We do occasionally travel (I?ve heard) but it is not a yearly event.

Preston

If I could go back in time four years and talk to myself as a high school senior I would encourage myself academically, commend myself for the great relationships I would develop, and tell myself to be strong in financial hardships.When I was a senior in high school I was afraid I wasn't smart enough to attend college. Going back in time I would tell myself how I almost earned a 4.0 my first semester, and how I would make the Dean's List and would earn an academic scholarship each year by working hard. Most importantly though, I would tell myself that I'm not, and never was, stupid.I would laugh and tell myself that I'm going to meet some of the nicest and most kind-hearted people on earth, and that mass popularity isn't nearly as important as a handful of good, close friends.I would advise myself not to become angry or jaded by a lack of funds, and not to be stressed out about it because over time and through hard work things will work out. Lastly I would tell myself to work hard and enjoy the wonderful college experience!

In general most people should come to this school, but specifically this school best reaches those who are willing to learn about life and about themselves. Also people who are willing to serve others and make friends. Students with various academic knowledge are welcomed here, but obviously those with higher academic skill do best here. People from many backgrounds and bases are accepted and welcomed here.

Someone that is close-minded and very set in his/her ways. Each student will be exposed to opposing views and will be expected to be cohesive with the culturally diverse atmosphere that is presented here. Also students who just want to party and drink alcohol should not attend this school, unless they are willing to work with their RA's on dealing with the rules that will be set before them (GFU is a "dry" campus and has several rules on appropriate behavior.

Laura

Don't worry so much! You're stuck between feeling like a child and adult right now, and you'll keep feeling that way for a long time. Know that college is about having fun, but also maturing as a person. It's about learning how to live in the world without losing your sense of self and your sense of humor. You will learn a lot of information, do a lot of homework, meet a lot of lifelong friends, have a lot of fun, eat a lot of deliciously unhealthy food, experience a lot of stress, and lose a lot of sleep. Contrary to popular belief, you will not love every minute of it, but you will love the overall experience of being here. College is a place to learn how to make your own way away from your parents and continue to learn how to be a contributing and fulfilled member of society. Take classes in subjects you've never had before. Join causes you didn't know existed before. Don't be afraid that it will mess up your life plan -- that might just be the best thing that could happen.

I wish I'd known that I didn't need to be as self-conscious. College here is a much different experience than high school. People aren't as judgemental and cliqueish, because most students are here because we choose to be. People are friendly and welcoming to everyone here, and we don't have a problem with hazing freshmen like some other schools. People are free to be themselves and not worry about being judged. I wish I had known that sooner so I could have spent more time being happy with myself and less time worrying.

I feel safe on campus. I don't worry about being jumped when walking back to my dorm at night. Also, although we're a Christian university and other people demean us sometimes, we aren't legalistic or judgemental, as some think. There are rules that students must agree to follow to enroll here, but they aren't ridiculous. On campus, you'll see students that look just like any other students, except we aren't having frat parties and drinking every night. I don't feel pressure to make iffy decisions or feel threatened by things others might do.

Jonetta

Make sure you start your first year taking a variety of classes, don't limit yourself to a certain career path. This is the time in life to explore what matters to you as a separate being from your family. Don't be afraid to make friends with people who are different from you. It helps us see the world with a broader perspective. If your school is near your home, try to stay for most of the weekends. This is when relationships are built, and relationships greatly add to the quality of life. Friendships can make the entire difference between liking or dis-liking school. Do not be afraid to approach professors and ask for help. Professors are great resources for help, letters of recommendation, and connecting you to professional resources. Don't do anything just half-way. Give everything your best. Get involved in school activies right away. Remember that you aren't going to school just for you. It is largely for you, but also for your family, your community and to better society. You are important and you can make a difference. When you find what you want to do, go for it!

Anyone who is willing to work hard and be a part of a community.

Students who are unmotivated or apathetic towards their school work would not do well at this school.

I would advise myself to take every opportunity to get invovled at high school because it helps you become more well rounded. Also attend all the college visits that happen at the high school, this is a very good resource. Another thing would continue to keep you GPA high, don't miss and opportunity to take and retake SATs and stay active in extracurrular activities. Also go to colleges that you are interested in and take tours, spend the night and just get a feel for the campus. High school will end so quickly and college is very different. People are more accepting and time is very flexible. As a result, find a good way to organize yourself and manage your time well. Thats about it!

The worst thing about my school would be how the professors care about you so much they constant ask if you need help or have study sessions. You know everyone here being it is a small university compared to others. So if you want to go unnoticed then George Fox isn't for you.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school would be a person not serious about their education. George Fox University is ranked one of the top Christian universites in the country. Students here are very serious about getting their degree and having the best four years of their life. The classes are rigoruous but fun. The professors challenge students in all ways. Being a liberal arts university students are very well-rounded.

Jade

Making sure you develop good study habits , organizational and time management skills during high school will help so much in college. While college is fun, and a great time to meet people and socialize, there is also a lot of studying involved, depending on your major.Taking available college-level classes or AP classes during high school will prepare you for the large amount of cousework in college, and also importantly, many colleges and universities will allow those credits to transfer, which results in you saving money. Another thing I would say is definitely apply for federal aide, and searching and applying for scholarships as soon as possible, because college is expensive.

George Fox University is a Private- Christian college, so anyone considering applying here should keep that in mind. They accept anyone, regardless of religious background, however the Christian foundation is very prevalent, and that may not appeal to some students. There is a lifestyle agreement that you have to agree to, not allowing drinking or tobacco use, and there are also required Bible classes and Chapel attendance. So anyone who is deterred by any of these points probably would not enjoy attending this school.

Probably the cost of education is the most frustrating thing. Tuition alone is about $28,000. Plus there is room and board, as well as the cost of textbooks and other supplies. A frustrating thing about being in the nursing program is that it is difficult to study abroad for a semester.

Teresa

At George Fox the other students in my class are alot like myself. We are older and have families and have experience in this world. Not all of our experiences are the same but we all have things that we can learn from each other.

Dear Teresa, Now that you are in college, just breathe! Know that you are making good choices in your life for yourself and your future family. It will be hard work but just remember how well you do knowing that hard work makes you stronger and helps you to feel better about yourself. You will have so much fun and that is always the reason for moving on. Fun in knowing you are becoming stronger, smarter, and better for this world. You are hear to help people and to encourage others. Love the people you meet even the unlovable ones, they need it the most! Listen to your mom and dad, even when they seem unresonable they are just trying to keep you safe and helping you to not do the same mistakes that they did. Whatever you do, always remember that you are cared about and that worry is not necessary. Enjoy life to the fullest! Love always, Teresa

It is a Christian organization where people do care about each other. There is no competetion or arrogence to be better than the person next to you. Rather a general caring and respect for each other.

My school involves students in a contract to assure that there will be no drinking on campus or illicit sexual activity. They also require that students attend a chapel service twice a week for spiritual fulfillment credits. Another unique thing about my school is that they are concerned about volunteering and peace. For example, our security officers don't carry guns. They also offer many chances to be a part of a couple different volunteer and service groups.

The advice that I would give my high school senior self is to know and understand the hard work that it takes to acheive and maintain good grades as well as to let myself know the high price of taking out loans for a more expensive college. I would try to put my school college career in perspective for my high-school self, and I would tell myself that I have many chances around the United States of America to search for a school that could give me a great education for a great future career without having to worry about the high cost of the school's price tag. Another thing that I would tell my younger self is to really think about what I would like to committ to 100 percent, because in the end, that is something that will help me to attain the kind of career in the general field that I desire. The point I would try to make would be to rethink the desire behind my college application process and make it easier on myself in the search for a future career, overall. I would tell myself that it should be enjoyable altogether.

A person that shouldn't attend this school would be a partier who likes to drink a lot and skip classes, or a person who wants to sleep around. These kinds of people would get into big trouble on our campus. Another kind of person that shouldn't attend our school is one who isn't dedicated to working hard to focus on school and get good grades, this kind of person would hinder the learning environment for other students. That's it!

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.