Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Laura

Don't worry so much! You're stuck between feeling like a child and adult right now, and you'll keep feeling that way for a long time. Know that college is about having fun, but also maturing as a person. It's about learning how to live in the world without losing your sense of self and your sense of humor. You will learn a lot of information, do a lot of homework, meet a lot of lifelong friends, have a lot of fun, eat a lot of deliciously unhealthy food, experience a lot of stress, and lose a lot of sleep. Contrary to popular belief, you will not love every minute of it, but you will love the overall experience of being here. College is a place to learn how to make your own way away from your parents and continue to learn how to be a contributing and fulfilled member of society. Take classes in subjects you've never had before. Join causes you didn't know existed before. Don't be afraid that it will mess up your life plan -- that might just be the best thing that could happen.

I wish I'd known that I didn't need to be as self-conscious. College here is a much different experience than high school. People aren't as judgemental and cliqueish, because most students are here because we choose to be. People are friendly and welcoming to everyone here, and we don't have a problem with hazing freshmen like some other schools. People are free to be themselves and not worry about being judged. I wish I had known that sooner so I could have spent more time being happy with myself and less time worrying.

I feel safe on campus. I don't worry about being jumped when walking back to my dorm at night. Also, although we're a Christian university and other people demean us sometimes, we aren't legalistic or judgemental, as some think. There are rules that students must agree to follow to enroll here, but they aren't ridiculous. On campus, you'll see students that look just like any other students, except we aren't having frat parties and drinking every night. I don't feel pressure to make iffy decisions or feel threatened by things others might do.

Jonetta

Make sure you start your first year taking a variety of classes, don't limit yourself to a certain career path. This is the time in life to explore what matters to you as a separate being from your family. Don't be afraid to make friends with people who are different from you. It helps us see the world with a broader perspective. If your school is near your home, try to stay for most of the weekends. This is when relationships are built, and relationships greatly add to the quality of life. Friendships can make the entire difference between liking or dis-liking school. Do not be afraid to approach professors and ask for help. Professors are great resources for help, letters of recommendation, and connecting you to professional resources. Don't do anything just half-way. Give everything your best. Get involved in school activies right away. Remember that you aren't going to school just for you. It is largely for you, but also for your family, your community and to better society. You are important and you can make a difference. When you find what you want to do, go for it!

Anyone who is willing to work hard and be a part of a community.

Students who are unmotivated or apathetic towards their school work would not do well at this school.

I would advise myself to take every opportunity to get invovled at high school because it helps you become more well rounded. Also attend all the college visits that happen at the high school, this is a very good resource. Another thing would continue to keep you GPA high, don't miss and opportunity to take and retake SATs and stay active in extracurrular activities. Also go to colleges that you are interested in and take tours, spend the night and just get a feel for the campus. High school will end so quickly and college is very different. People are more accepting and time is very flexible. As a result, find a good way to organize yourself and manage your time well. Thats about it!

The worst thing about my school would be how the professors care about you so much they constant ask if you need help or have study sessions. You know everyone here being it is a small university compared to others. So if you want to go unnoticed then George Fox isn't for you.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school would be a person not serious about their education. George Fox University is ranked one of the top Christian universites in the country. Students here are very serious about getting their degree and having the best four years of their life. The classes are rigoruous but fun. The professors challenge students in all ways. Being a liberal arts university students are very well-rounded.

Jade

Making sure you develop good study habits , organizational and time management skills during high school will help so much in college. While college is fun, and a great time to meet people and socialize, there is also a lot of studying involved, depending on your major.Taking available college-level classes or AP classes during high school will prepare you for the large amount of cousework in college, and also importantly, many colleges and universities will allow those credits to transfer, which results in you saving money. Another thing I would say is definitely apply for federal aide, and searching and applying for scholarships as soon as possible, because college is expensive.

George Fox University is a Private- Christian college, so anyone considering applying here should keep that in mind. They accept anyone, regardless of religious background, however the Christian foundation is very prevalent, and that may not appeal to some students. There is a lifestyle agreement that you have to agree to, not allowing drinking or tobacco use, and there are also required Bible classes and Chapel attendance. So anyone who is deterred by any of these points probably would not enjoy attending this school.

Probably the cost of education is the most frustrating thing. Tuition alone is about $28,000. Plus there is room and board, as well as the cost of textbooks and other supplies. A frustrating thing about being in the nursing program is that it is difficult to study abroad for a semester.

Teresa

At George Fox the other students in my class are alot like myself. We are older and have families and have experience in this world. Not all of our experiences are the same but we all have things that we can learn from each other.

Dear Teresa, Now that you are in college, just breathe! Know that you are making good choices in your life for yourself and your future family. It will be hard work but just remember how well you do knowing that hard work makes you stronger and helps you to feel better about yourself. You will have so much fun and that is always the reason for moving on. Fun in knowing you are becoming stronger, smarter, and better for this world. You are hear to help people and to encourage others. Love the people you meet even the unlovable ones, they need it the most! Listen to your mom and dad, even when they seem unresonable they are just trying to keep you safe and helping you to not do the same mistakes that they did. Whatever you do, always remember that you are cared about and that worry is not necessary. Enjoy life to the fullest! Love always, Teresa

It is a Christian organization where people do care about each other. There is no competetion or arrogence to be better than the person next to you. Rather a general caring and respect for each other.

My school involves students in a contract to assure that there will be no drinking on campus or illicit sexual activity. They also require that students attend a chapel service twice a week for spiritual fulfillment credits. Another unique thing about my school is that they are concerned about volunteering and peace. For example, our security officers don't carry guns. They also offer many chances to be a part of a couple different volunteer and service groups.

The advice that I would give my high school senior self is to know and understand the hard work that it takes to acheive and maintain good grades as well as to let myself know the high price of taking out loans for a more expensive college. I would try to put my school college career in perspective for my high-school self, and I would tell myself that I have many chances around the United States of America to search for a school that could give me a great education for a great future career without having to worry about the high cost of the school's price tag. Another thing that I would tell my younger self is to really think about what I would like to committ to 100 percent, because in the end, that is something that will help me to attain the kind of career in the general field that I desire. The point I would try to make would be to rethink the desire behind my college application process and make it easier on myself in the search for a future career, overall. I would tell myself that it should be enjoyable altogether.

A person that shouldn't attend this school would be a partier who likes to drink a lot and skip classes, or a person who wants to sleep around. These kinds of people would get into big trouble on our campus. Another kind of person that shouldn't attend our school is one who isn't dedicated to working hard to focus on school and get good grades, this kind of person would hinder the learning environment for other students. That's it!

Kaylena

George Fox is best known as the "Quaker" College because of the religious backgrounds and atmosphere of the campus. It is also known for its Annual Serve Day, where all classes are cancelled and students are dispersed throughout the community of and near Newberg. Our school is known for its highly Christ centered focus which is incorporated into the education of each student.

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to remember that freedom is a privilege and do not abuse it; when you are at college your choices and your actions reflect your academic success, your personality, and your future. You make your own decisions, nobody will be there holding your hand as they do in high school, meaning professors do not care if you attend class, you are accountable for getting everything done , tests are everything, and the weight of your success is all on you. Procrastination is the worst thing you can do fin college, and it will show, you cannot get by with half your effort. Most of all, I would tell myself and any other high school student that college is not only a new chapter in your life where you will pursue education for a degree and a career, but also a time to make as many memories as you can and meet new friends. Make time for yourself and your interests; step out of your comfort zone, and be sure to take time to have some fun and relax sometimes.

Honestly, George Fox has many so many strengths, but I would have to say its biggest weakness and/or worst aspect(s) would have to be that some of teh buildings (both academic and residence halls) do not get wireless internet connection which makes it more difficult for students to study in their rooms and a fw classes. I think this is due to the age and structure of some of hte buildings.

Cyrus

Coming into college, I was vey unprepared for the work load and the amount of homework that needed to be done outside of the class room. Through High school, I was the type of person who would just get the minimum done, and be okay with a passing grade. After my first semester in college, I've learned a lot about studying, and the importance of really learning the content vs. memorizing the answers. I would tell myself to pay attention and start working hard now, also, take advantage of the free education and not have free periods.

The worst part about George Fox University is that they design everything around students that live on campus. They have many of the fun events in the later hours (usually after dinner) and for someone like me that lives about 20 miles away, it's tough to either drive home after my classes end at 3, and then drive back at 9PM for a movie on campus. Since gas is super expensive, I have the other option of staying around on campus for six hours... Not much of a choice.

The most frustrating part about college is definitly the homework. If you dont have good study habits, it's very hard to keep up with the work load.

Joshua

We are a Christian university that strives to make everyone feel like a part of a community, to succeed in school so that they can succeed in the workplace, and to teach people how to be influential in the world.

As a current college student, there are many things that I wish that I would have done to better prepare myself for the college experience. I always knew that college was going to be more difficult then high school, but I didn't quite prepare myself for the ways in which college is more difficult. I always thought that in college there would be more homework and that it was going to be a lot more difficult, which is not entirely the case. The fact is that most of college is based on tests and exams, and these are what can kill you, if you're not ready for them. If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would make sure to tell myself to work on my study habits, and to make sure that I knew the material talked about in class by reading the books. I would also tell myself to make sure that I got work done early and did not procastinate. I have found all of these things to be the things that I struggle with now, and if I could have better prepared for them in the past I would have.

I really love the small class sizes and the feeling of a close community. The professors are also really good at what they teach and care about the students.

Jeanette

A beautiful, strong, community that emphasizes academics, and above all, Jesus--this university has become my home.

Do not be so worried about where you should go to college. You will probably enjoy whichever college you choose. The distance you are from home ends up being farther than you originally expected because you are busier and can't go home as often, so even if you are somewhat close to home, you won't go home as much as you may have originally thought. You will not get as much financial aid as you expect. Apply for scholarships!!!! You will not get as many grants and scholarships from the colleges as you expect. Don't give up applying for scholarships! College is harder than you expect, no matter how good of a student you are in high school. You are busier, and have more homework. Hard classes and/or lots of credits is manageable, as long as you can discipline yourself to study even when you want to socialize. At first it may feel like you don't know anyone, but you will soon be very familiar with the people on your floor and they will not be strangers anymore!

GFU has a strong, Christian environment. It is a quiet, peaceful university, yet alive and beautiful. I have met many strong Christians that have challenged my faith and helped me grow in ways I never expected. Chapels are interesting, and the teachers are kind, approachable, and understanding. Many people are strong Christians and challenge others to be strong Christians too.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.