Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Jade

Making sure you develop good study habits , organizational and time management skills during high school will help so much in college. While college is fun, and a great time to meet people and socialize, there is also a lot of studying involved, depending on your major.Taking available college-level classes or AP classes during high school will prepare you for the large amount of cousework in college, and also importantly, many colleges and universities will allow those credits to transfer, which results in you saving money. Another thing I would say is definitely apply for federal aide, and searching and applying for scholarships as soon as possible, because college is expensive.

George Fox University is a Private- Christian college, so anyone considering applying here should keep that in mind. They accept anyone, regardless of religious background, however the Christian foundation is very prevalent, and that may not appeal to some students. There is a lifestyle agreement that you have to agree to, not allowing drinking or tobacco use, and there are also required Bible classes and Chapel attendance. So anyone who is deterred by any of these points probably would not enjoy attending this school.

Probably the cost of education is the most frustrating thing. Tuition alone is about $28,000. Plus there is room and board, as well as the cost of textbooks and other supplies. A frustrating thing about being in the nursing program is that it is difficult to study abroad for a semester.

Teresa

At George Fox the other students in my class are alot like myself. We are older and have families and have experience in this world. Not all of our experiences are the same but we all have things that we can learn from each other.

Dear Teresa, Now that you are in college, just breathe! Know that you are making good choices in your life for yourself and your future family. It will be hard work but just remember how well you do knowing that hard work makes you stronger and helps you to feel better about yourself. You will have so much fun and that is always the reason for moving on. Fun in knowing you are becoming stronger, smarter, and better for this world. You are hear to help people and to encourage others. Love the people you meet even the unlovable ones, they need it the most! Listen to your mom and dad, even when they seem unresonable they are just trying to keep you safe and helping you to not do the same mistakes that they did. Whatever you do, always remember that you are cared about and that worry is not necessary. Enjoy life to the fullest! Love always, Teresa

It is a Christian organization where people do care about each other. There is no competetion or arrogence to be better than the person next to you. Rather a general caring and respect for each other.

My school involves students in a contract to assure that there will be no drinking on campus or illicit sexual activity. They also require that students attend a chapel service twice a week for spiritual fulfillment credits. Another unique thing about my school is that they are concerned about volunteering and peace. For example, our security officers don't carry guns. They also offer many chances to be a part of a couple different volunteer and service groups.

The advice that I would give my high school senior self is to know and understand the hard work that it takes to acheive and maintain good grades as well as to let myself know the high price of taking out loans for a more expensive college. I would try to put my school college career in perspective for my high-school self, and I would tell myself that I have many chances around the United States of America to search for a school that could give me a great education for a great future career without having to worry about the high cost of the school's price tag. Another thing that I would tell my younger self is to really think about what I would like to committ to 100 percent, because in the end, that is something that will help me to attain the kind of career in the general field that I desire. The point I would try to make would be to rethink the desire behind my college application process and make it easier on myself in the search for a future career, overall. I would tell myself that it should be enjoyable altogether.

A person that shouldn't attend this school would be a partier who likes to drink a lot and skip classes, or a person who wants to sleep around. These kinds of people would get into big trouble on our campus. Another kind of person that shouldn't attend our school is one who isn't dedicated to working hard to focus on school and get good grades, this kind of person would hinder the learning environment for other students. That's it!

Kaylena

George Fox is best known as the "Quaker" College because of the religious backgrounds and atmosphere of the campus. It is also known for its Annual Serve Day, where all classes are cancelled and students are dispersed throughout the community of and near Newberg. Our school is known for its highly Christ centered focus which is incorporated into the education of each student.

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to remember that freedom is a privilege and do not abuse it; when you are at college your choices and your actions reflect your academic success, your personality, and your future. You make your own decisions, nobody will be there holding your hand as they do in high school, meaning professors do not care if you attend class, you are accountable for getting everything done , tests are everything, and the weight of your success is all on you. Procrastination is the worst thing you can do fin college, and it will show, you cannot get by with half your effort. Most of all, I would tell myself and any other high school student that college is not only a new chapter in your life where you will pursue education for a degree and a career, but also a time to make as many memories as you can and meet new friends. Make time for yourself and your interests; step out of your comfort zone, and be sure to take time to have some fun and relax sometimes.

Honestly, George Fox has many so many strengths, but I would have to say its biggest weakness and/or worst aspect(s) would have to be that some of teh buildings (both academic and residence halls) do not get wireless internet connection which makes it more difficult for students to study in their rooms and a fw classes. I think this is due to the age and structure of some of hte buildings.

Cyrus

Coming into college, I was vey unprepared for the work load and the amount of homework that needed to be done outside of the class room. Through High school, I was the type of person who would just get the minimum done, and be okay with a passing grade. After my first semester in college, I've learned a lot about studying, and the importance of really learning the content vs. memorizing the answers. I would tell myself to pay attention and start working hard now, also, take advantage of the free education and not have free periods.

The worst part about George Fox University is that they design everything around students that live on campus. They have many of the fun events in the later hours (usually after dinner) and for someone like me that lives about 20 miles away, it's tough to either drive home after my classes end at 3, and then drive back at 9PM for a movie on campus. Since gas is super expensive, I have the other option of staying around on campus for six hours... Not much of a choice.

The most frustrating part about college is definitly the homework. If you dont have good study habits, it's very hard to keep up with the work load.

Joshua

We are a Christian university that strives to make everyone feel like a part of a community, to succeed in school so that they can succeed in the workplace, and to teach people how to be influential in the world.

As a current college student, there are many things that I wish that I would have done to better prepare myself for the college experience. I always knew that college was going to be more difficult then high school, but I didn't quite prepare myself for the ways in which college is more difficult. I always thought that in college there would be more homework and that it was going to be a lot more difficult, which is not entirely the case. The fact is that most of college is based on tests and exams, and these are what can kill you, if you're not ready for them. If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would make sure to tell myself to work on my study habits, and to make sure that I knew the material talked about in class by reading the books. I would also tell myself to make sure that I got work done early and did not procastinate. I have found all of these things to be the things that I struggle with now, and if I could have better prepared for them in the past I would have.

I really love the small class sizes and the feeling of a close community. The professors are also really good at what they teach and care about the students.

Jeanette

A beautiful, strong, community that emphasizes academics, and above all, Jesus--this university has become my home.

Do not be so worried about where you should go to college. You will probably enjoy whichever college you choose. The distance you are from home ends up being farther than you originally expected because you are busier and can't go home as often, so even if you are somewhat close to home, you won't go home as much as you may have originally thought. You will not get as much financial aid as you expect. Apply for scholarships!!!! You will not get as many grants and scholarships from the colleges as you expect. Don't give up applying for scholarships! College is harder than you expect, no matter how good of a student you are in high school. You are busier, and have more homework. Hard classes and/or lots of credits is manageable, as long as you can discipline yourself to study even when you want to socialize. At first it may feel like you don't know anyone, but you will soon be very familiar with the people on your floor and they will not be strangers anymore!

GFU has a strong, Christian environment. It is a quiet, peaceful university, yet alive and beautiful. I have met many strong Christians that have challenged my faith and helped me grow in ways I never expected. Chapels are interesting, and the teachers are kind, approachable, and understanding. Many people are strong Christians and challenge others to be strong Christians too.

My classmates are fun, educationally driven, inclusive, helpful; when a teacher asks them to do something, they are more likely to put a lot of effort into the assignment; if I were to ask them for help, they would be more likely to respond favorably to me.

Be yourself, but be openminded. There is nothing greater than arriving on a campus and making a change as your own individual, but there is nothing more devestating than limiting your opportunities by being obstinant. Flexibility is the name of the game. College is a place where you will evolve, as an academic, a worker, a friend, a lover, a responsible contributor to life, and a person. So pay attention to all the subtle hints and details that can pass you by, they are the most important. But once you have taken note, do; Do everything you can; Experience everything offered by the college, the campus, friends, professors, and random situations. To let experience pass, is to let possible life-changing events pass. What you garner from watching and doing will have the greatest effect on your college experience, as well as who you become as a person. Think of college as a training ground for real life, a safety net where you learn the ground rules, so when you arrive at your office, or the real estate agency, or the loan agency, or the bank as a fledgling, you can succeed as yourself, an individual.

A tie between the campus community/laid back feel on campus and the helpfulness of professors, because these factors really allow the student to integrate and feel comfortable in class and socially.

Brandon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself that all of the stress that I was going through applying to college, and figuring out how to pay for it, is completely worth it. The friendships I have made at George Fox University are completely worth the time and the money. The education is excellent, and that everything will work out in the end. Worrying about school does not matter, there is nothing that I can do about it. Go with what happens, and do not stress. Another thing that I would tell myself, is that no matter what happens, there is always another way to work around it. Nothing is new under the sun, and there is always another way to get where you want to go.

I wish that I had known how to properly study before I got to college. High school was relaxed, and I did not get the chance to learn how to study properly. It took halfway through the first semester to figure out what I was doing with my classes and I finally realized how to study for my classes.

I tell everybody that George Fox University is the Best Christian school in the nation. It has an amazing academic program, it is hard, but it is very rewarding. The professors care about the students, and take time to invest in them. They want the students to succede and care aout the well being of the students.

Cristasha

Begin making plans for financial aid and possible paths of study as soon as possible. You may not know right away what you want to study, but beginning to narrow that field down and take the necessary steps to make those goals become a reality is crucial to succeeding in a college setting. You are literally paying to attend each class, so the more you know about your own interests and aspirations, the less shuffling between majors and less money you'll waste, and the more fun you'll have as you'll be persuing somehting that you actually want to do. Look for jobs during school that have a similar makeup to your future career choice; this will open up opportunities for you when you are applying for internships or looking for careers after school. I would remind them to take their period in school very seriously, and take time to build quality relationships and enrich their worldview and beliefs.

While many different kinds of people attend this university, an outgoing, acedmically focused, Christian-centered student from a conservative background would fit in best here.

Despite recent "attempts" to diversify, George Fox is attended almost entirely by white upper middle class conservative evangelical Christians with little experience or desire to understand or integrate themselves into any other culture. I don't see the necessary push by some faculty to create opportunities or discussions that would take students out of their comfort zone and really cultivate mult-cultural growth. People talk about the students here coming from a bubble of like minded sociopolitical and religious viewpoints, and for the most part they are right. Some faculty have taken steps to improve this environment.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.