George Fox University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for George Fox University

Skylar

“Be Known”. It’s not just a motto or an empty filled promise. This statement sums up what it truly means to be a George Fox Bruin. Whether you are a perspective high school senior or considering transferring schools as an undergrad, coming to George Fox is one of the best choices you could make. Academically, their classes will challenge you. Challenge you to think, challenge you to feel, and challenge you to learn. Going to a small school is great! Rather than passing by strangers day after day, at George Fox you truly have the opportunity to build relationships with your peers. Whether you decide to take a hike in the canyon, compete in intramurals, study in the library, sweat in Hadlock (our student gym), or cheer on one of our 21 sports teams, the choice is yours! In my opinion, there is no feeling better than “Being Known”, personally, academically, and spiritually.

Kiana

George Fox prides itself on community. The central theme is to support, encourage, and grow together. With this mission, there is good and bad that comes as a result. For starters, it is encouraged that students get involved on campus in things that interest them. There are a number of clubs and opportunities to get involved. At times, it seems like there's almost too much happening on campus to really be invested anywhere (or at least that's my experience), but it sure does make up for the lack of things to do in the small town of Newberg surrouding the campus. The associated student Community (student body) often hosts activities for students to attend. Things like dances, and concerts happen a handful of times during the semester. At times it can almost seem like a high school setting since they chose to do things that resemble a high school student body. The school has a life style contract that prohibits students from smoking, drinking, and having premarital sex. Although the university encourages students to align their lifestyles with the contract, each students experience may have their own rules about following it. On campus, most of the students follow the contract (or at least do a good job of hiding it if they are breaking it), but off campus students really decide if they chose to obey or not. In just my first year I have had a lot of opportunities including two on campus job, a position as an RA for the following year, and a great internship for the summer following my first year. I believe that it's not really enough to just show up to class at George Fox University, or really at any university nowadays. In order to make the most of one's academic experience, it's important to value what it is one is paying for. Show up for office hours, ask questions, connect with staff and faculty, and opportunities will come. George Fox is especially set up in a way that makes that effort as easy as possible.

Ameena

There are three things that I would advise my high school self to be aware of during college and when making the transition into life afterwards. Here is what I would tell my younger self. First, race and gender will challenge you. Since birth you have faced the sad reality that is true for a majority of your people. Black women are stereotypically viewed as ignorant, adolescent mothers, raised in absent father homes. You are seen as incapable of utilizing proper English, and are looked down upon when you excel in the “white man's’” world. College will be no different. In every classroom you will be one of a few if not the only one of your kind. The exterior will cause confusion among students and staff who will see you in one way and look at you in shock when you tell them of your dual degree in Studio Art and Global Business. Questions will be raised from the texture of your hair or the use of Ebonics, but don’t become frustrated or lose heart. A bond, as strong as a sisterhood, will be formed among a group of women who look just like you and it will last for a lifetime. Second, learn to take risks. Life will turn upside down with decisions that you will have to make about people, desires, and interests. Always remember that you are more than any label people assign you, and if you have the opportunity to explore the world, impact lives, form new relationships or discover a new part of yourself, do it. Don’t allow yourself to be stuck inside of a box, because there is more depth to you than you currently know. Take risks in relationships, always having the understanding that some will die and others will carry on. Dive deeply with people, and never allow your fear of vulnerability or pain to hinder you. Lastly, remember that everyone’s journey is different. As you near the end of your college career you will see three paths that students choose to take. The choices are marriage, graduate school, or a career. Some choose one option, others all three. Remember that you have a life journey that will never look the same as anyone else’s. If each of us wasted our energy focusing on the direction everyone else is headed we would miss out on our very own adventure. Celebrate the success of those around you, whatever they may be, and cherish those moments with them. However, recognize that your life is and will be filled with it’s own momentous occasions. As you leave the world of books, exams, papers, and projects embrace all of the changes that come your way and know that in the end everything will be alright.

Darian

The campus is beautiful, professors are great and so are the other students. It's a very welcoming environment. The campus is somewhat small so be prepared to "Be Known" by your professors and your peers. The class sizes are fairly good, they get even smaller once you get down into your major classes. I would highly recommend students looking to major in STEM, Biblical Studies/Christian Ministries, Cinema, Band or Art. Very impressed with how they run this place.

Siri

It isn't really worth the money that you would think it would be. The rules that are enforced are overbearing (to say the least) and while the rules pose as Christian values, Christian values are not really found on campus. Chapel is a requirement and if you don't go, you get fined after a certain number of missed services. While chapel is meant to urge students to grow with Christ, it really encourages them to grow politically. While many Bible professors are amazing, I find that the professors in different subjects don't care much to learn about their students at all. "Be Known" is their promise, and I've never felt less known in my life.

Claire

It's a conservative school and I'm not a conservative, but overall it's a good place. Needs more diversity and openness though, ethnically and politically. Sometimes I feel afraid to express my liberal ideas of acceptance for all, and way too many people voted for Trump. I constantly feel judged for not being "Jesus" enough and for being more laid-back and apathetic.

Elise

George Fox University is a great place to earn the education you need to pursue the career you want. Although GFU is a private liberal arts institution that has good education programs and a small school size of only 3,000 students, the school could cost a lot less than $35,000/year. I mean come on.

Matthew

George Fox University is a safe and beautiful environment to learn at. The teachers are reliable and easy to talk to, the facilities are wonderful as is the surrounding area, and the lack of quality in the dining facilities is made up for by the school's convenient location. This school fosters a joyous spirit of academia and friendship, and I am glad to be a student here.

Leila

I came to George Fox a little homesick and scared of the new experience away from home. But once I came on campus, I felt so welcomed and excited to be on campus. I knew my professors and they knew me as well. I am able to ask questions and feel like I belong. I met with club officers and admissions/financial counselors with questions and they made me feel like I can stop by their office and/or club anytime. Hawaii Club on campus made me feel as if I was at a home away from home. To this day I have embraced the role as club secretary and have followed the school's motto, "Be known." I have felt that I have and am known at George Fox and it is my second home away from home. I feel that I am home and I have become known not only to my professors who know me but to my peers and friends.

Kirk

George Fox University I an incredible place to learn, grow, and Be Known. My average class size is below 30 and all of my professors are eager to get to know me. If I am unable to make it in to see a professor during his/her office hours they will always make other arrangements to see me. In the engineering department they know who has been in to see them and who hasn't because they hope that all will come in and ask questions, for help, or just to talk. I love George Fox an would recommend at least giving it a look.

Ritah

A great place to learn. Very understanding towards commuting students. Their academic and social encouragement is top notch.

Xylia

This is the best school I have ever gone to. The community is great, the people are great, and the school in all is great. I have gone to about 5 or 6 different elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 4 different high schools all over oregon and idaho. However, none can say that they are better or even as great as George Fox University. I love being able to say that I am a Bruin and this is my home.

Emma

George Fox University is an amazing school. With a small, tight-knit community, I definitely feel at home here, and feel as though I have formed my own college "family". The academics are excellent as well – I have learned so much within my own major, as well as about my peers and myself, how I learn best, how to deal with obstacles and issues, et cetera. George Fox is an amazing school, and I feel truly blessed to be able to attend.

Justine

George Fox University is a dream university to me. The William Penn Honors Program is incredible and has become my main source of community. My interests in theater, public speaking, research, literature, composition, art, communications, leadership, music, and personal relationships have all been fostered, directed, and refined by the attentive faculty and applicable courses. My overall opinion of George Fox University is: five stars! This college lives up to its slogan, "Be Known," and truly cares about each individual student. I love this college and this place.

L

You get to meet many really well rounded people. It's an easy place to find good people to surround yourself with. The food isn't horrible like some people say. I love that the classes are small and you get to meet your professors and really dive into a subject if you are into it. Overall it's a good place to learn and focus on your studies, while meeting really wonderful individuals.

Graduating from a very small high school, I was afraid that college would mean a lack of meaningful connections--never have I been so wrong. As soon as I set foot on campus during Welcome Weekend, I was immediately surrounded by countless individuals who welcomed me with deep sincerity. Since then, there has not been a single day that goes by where walking across campus does not mean witnessing smiles and familiar faces. This sincerity does not stop at the students, it includes the professors as well. From dinner parties at their houses, to one-on-one meetings to discuss our lives, I have never felt unimportant to a GFU staff member. Not only has George Fox met my expectations, but it has exceeded them. The excitement I felt my Freshman year at GFU has not died, but grown even stronger-- I can approach my future with a sense of purpose that only George Fox University has been able to provide.

Bridget

George Fox has been an amazing place to learn and grow. For me it has greatly helped in developing and strengthening skills within my desired career of film and deepening my passion for the field of animated cinema creations. GFU is an amazing university where you will find instructors who go the extra mile. They encourage, help and make learning a fun activity. The staff live by their belief and through their example seek out ways to help guide others in developing a relationship with God.

I love George Fox University! It is an extremely safe and welcoming school, the campus is beautiful and the professors are understanding and push students to work hard. It's very involved with the community, there is even a day dedicated to community service. This school is accepting, challenging, beautiful, and overall wonderful.

Joelle

George Fox University is a money hungry institution. I was never treated as a student but as a number there. They tie religion in with their own personal agendas which offends me greatly. They will fine you for the smallest infractions. I couldn't attend the mandated chapel events due to being in the hospital and they would not excuse it. There is a large segment of the community that are underground druggies and drinkers. Some majors are provided with good, high end equipment while others only receive the bare minimum. I graduated from here and would never recommend a student to attend George Fox. There are much better institutions that are lower in price.

Brock

I chose GFU bases on the admission councilor telling me that everyone with a gpa of 3. or higher was admitted into their nursing program the year before. I knew it would be challenging but would be coming into GFU with my AAOT with a 3.8 gpa. My pre-requiste class at GFU was a 3.15 gpa and I didn't get into the nursing program. I cannot help but to think that they admitted way to many pre-nursing student to make money for the school. It is now summer and I have not heard back from my counselor as to alternative career direction which is pretty disappointing after spending $ 33,000. This would be expected from a state school but not from a private university. Sport coaches were excellent though. Also if you decide to go the GFU take pictures of everything in your dorm including your mattress because they charge you for every little scratch that wasn't there before.

Jonah

It's too authoritarian. As someone going in who is unsure of Christianity the chapel credits and mandatory faith related activities only increase the idea of Christianity being dogmatic as opposed to trying to win me over in the proper realm of intellectual debate. Other than that negative part the rest of the school is good. They have a beautiful campus with great positioning between Salem and Portland for activities in both those towns. Their programs are well thought out with most of the professors being published. They have really good nursing programs and are also good at putting people in Ivy league graduate schools. Overall 4.5/5.

Jonathan

I feel like I definitely fit in at Fox. It is a tight-knit community that encourages its students to get involved. They do a great job at maintaining the "Be Known" promise of personally seeking out relationship with every single student. Honestly, George Fox was second on my list of possible universities to go to, but now that I am here, I feel like there is absolutely nowhere else that I would want to be.

Kaylyn

I love everything about George Fox University. Both the faculty and community surrounding George Fox allows students to be in a safe and high academic environment that prepares them for their future careers. The location of the campus sits between the west coast and Portland which allows students to explore a large variety of extra curricular activities.

Erika

It's an amazing school that allows students to focus on their goals and they help you achieve them. The professors are always available to speak to weather it be by phone, email, Skype or in person. The culture of the university is one of friendship and community building, you feel like everyone has your back and is supporting you one hundred percent.

Dylan

I have visited the campus twice and have been accepted for the fall semester. If I can figure out the financing I would love to go here. The people, including the administration and facility that I have met are wonderful. I have reviewed s few of the dorms and they are all good, I have a couple I really liked and have applied for them. The grounds are beautiful and the town of Newberg is pleasant and can walk to several eating and coffee places which is great cause I am not planning on taking a car.

Emilee

In my time of my college experience, I have been to three different colleges, one even in another country. And out of all of them, I would say that George Fox has had the biggest impact on me. A small school of close to four thousand on campus, it is a close community where as you dive into your major you grow more and more connected to the students and faculty who truly desire to see you succeed. George Fox University is a great school where you can thrive.

Kaelynn

I love it here. It is a small hometown and reminds me of home. There is a no alcohol or drug tolerance agreement that every student abides by. I love it here as the Be Known promise is lived out and all the instructors want to help you succeed with your goal of graduation.

Isabela

George Fox is a place where you are truly known for who you are. Despite different backgrounds, beliefs, and ethnicities there are people on campus who care and show you the love of God. It's a strong knit community where you will grow academically and spiritually. My overall opinion of George Fox University is they are always working on improvements, ways to make the students feel more at home and comfortable. A place where learning about God and your major is incorporated in the classroom is something I think is important and valuable. George Fox University is my second home away from home and from the moment I stepped foot on campus, I knew I belonged and was valued as an individual and as a student.

George Fox University has provided me be the opportunities to grow as an individual and yet still prosper within a local community. The "Be Known" saying is truly something that is integrated in our everyday settings inside and outside academics/athletics. "Be Known" is a testament to the city of Newberg provided students with a foundation of confidence and courage so they can expand their visual to world wide view.

Audrey

It was a very nice campus and place to visit. Professors are willing to stop and answer any questions or help students outside office hours. I observed students walking past each other will nod and smile. the campus is overall friendly and is appealing to the eyes. I would recommend the school to anyone.

Felicia

As soon as I stepped foot onto the George Fox campus and began my first course, I've noticed a big difference from my previous college. The students and the teachers here are so kind and loving. George Fox University is an amazing place to continue an education whether at age 18 or age 50. I recommend this university to anyone who wants a great education in a great environment.

Edith

I really love the school. Like anywhere, there are issues. Buildings could be remodeled, donors are funding really random and seemingly insignificant things, and they could take better care of their faculty and staff, but, the education is great. The people I have met and the opportunities I have to do what I love are abounding. It has been an incredible opportunity for me and I am very happy to attend.

Mason

George Fox is a Conservative Christian school that despite that identification, is incredibly welcoming and kind to everyone who attends. The mantra of "Be Known" that the school lives by is felt in almost every aspect of the school. Whether it is in the classroom, in your dorm, on a sports team, or even just walking around, the campus is filled with people who are not just invested in you as a student or athlete, but in you as a person.

Madison

George Fox University is an excellent school that continues to earn my highest approval. The school itself is a beautiful, rustic campus set in the small community of Newberg, Oregon. As opposed to the clean cut perfection of many ivy league schools, George Fox is surrounded by masses of beautiful trees and other natural foliage. Boulders, large tree trunks, and ferns can be found scattered across the campus. This kind of beauty is a perfect reflection of the natural aesthetic that embodies Oregon as a whole. The professors are nothing less than top notch. All of the ones I have encountered have been incredibly encouraging, reasonable, respectful, diligent, and highly qualified. My favorite professor, Dr. Schmitt, is absolutely exceptional. He makes us, his students, feel genuinely known and appreciated. Schmitt also has the tendency to enlighten us and brighten our days with his well thought out, clever biology puns or “Dad Jokes”. There are however some professors who are less than preferred. That can be expected at any university even at one as high quality as George Fox. I have yet to encounter any of said professors during my experience as an undergraduate student. Meal plans at George Fox include 20 meals per week for incoming freshmen at the college cafeteria known as “The Bon”. The cafeteria is catered by Bon Appetit, which to my knowledge trumps other catering services at other schools similar to George Fox such as Pacific and Corban. Both of which are catered by Aramark in which the reviews have been nothing but negative coming from the perspectives of students whom I'm acquainted with attending these universities. On a normal basis, the food at the The Bon is rather average. Often the meat is prepared too dry or too tough. The choices can be often fairly limited, so the food selection can quickly become monotone and bland. This was a concept I had already expected coming into college. Due to the fact that Bon Appetit is catering to hundreds of college students, it is difficult to create a larger selection of food choices. There are many options available to those with food allergies such as myself. I’ve had a gluten allergen for over a year now and I have found The Bon to be very accommodating to my allergy. There is always room for improvement in this department though. Often times it can still be very limiting to those with food allergies to feel as if their choices are as varied as those without allergies. Most of the students I know with food allergies also feel similarly about the alternative food options. The dorms are a fantastic way to become friends with other people on campus. They provide exposure to a lot of other students and allow us to bond with one another in a way that would otherwise be nonexistent. I have enjoyed my experience living in the first floor girls side of Pennington. My dorm consists of both a boy side and a girl side with an upstairs and downstairs hall for each gender. The lobby features a welcoming fireplace, many comfortable chairs and couches, a ping pong table, and a pool table. A kitchen and laundry room are also included in the dorm with twenty four hour access. My RA is a fantastic leader who is always thinking of her residents. She has always been there when I needed her and has provided a plethora of opportunities for us to bond together. Many of the other dorms operate in a similar fashion with boys and girls sides and multiple floors for the residents to live in. When applying for housing, students fill out a living preference sheet in which they describe their living habits and personal living preferences, so that they may be paired with a roommate with similar preferences. That is how I was paired with my fantastic roommate whom I very much enjoy living with. There are many popular study niches found on campus as well as off campus within walking distance. I will list the ones I often frequent. There is a very unique study room on the third story of the EHS (science building) called the Fishbowl. It features couches, a white board and plenty of study space. The room is rectangular with the two larger adjacent walls being completely made of glass. Another great spot is the library, featuring several quiet study spaces, a large twenty four hour access study section, large mobile whiteboards, a coffee machine, water fountains, and private, rentable study rooms for student use. There are two cafe areas in which many GFU students like to frequent due to the relaxed ambiance they provide. Off campus there are three local coffee shops many students enjoy frequenting. Coffee Cottage, Coffee Cat, and Chapters are all delicious, quiet places to spend time studying at. My favorite of these is Coffee Cottage because I prefer their drinks as well as the inviting atmosphere. There are more other study spots available depending on what the students’ major is and where they prefer to spend time at. My overall opinion of the school I am attending, George Fox University, is exactly as I expected it to be after visiting the campus a few times, fantastic. I have never felt more at home, had more genuine friends, and been so excited to attend my classes. Not to mention I am able to freely express my faith as a Christian, my honest opinions, and share personal stories. I always feel safe and secure on my campus and know that if I did not feel this way, there are many staff members on campus whom I can talk to and express my concerns to. I could not imagine spending my time studying at any other university and I am so blessed to be at such an amazing school.

Mercedes

It's very nice the community is great here! The professors are unlike any that you would get at a regular university. Although it is expensive and not much diversity is here, definitely micro-racism takes places. But if you love the Lord, Fox is the place for you there are many opportunities for scholarships and grants. I love my experience so far with Fox.

Savien

George Fox is a really good school. The academics and professors are excellent and the small class size allows great relationships to be built with the students. The only thing I would complain about is that not all of classes were transferable so I had to repeat some courses.

Jill

George Fox University overall is a great school. The be known promise is very true and is taken into effect every day. The people are nice and have made me feel very welcomed. Professors are incredibly nice and are there to help every step of the way. Counselors have worked with me to get me successful and ready for college and beyond. Love the area and the community.

Vanessa

I think George Fox University is a lovely campus. The whole campus is full of vivid and eye-capturing colors in the fall and the area surrounding it is truly beautiful. I think with the weather and atmosphere of the whole place, George Fox is placed in a great area. The people there are ready to help and overall very friendly. Here, students are able to pursue their degree with people who have the same characteristics and interests and are willing to center their lives on Christ; for the sake of a better tomorrow.

Jasmin

I love George Fox university and would recommend it to a number of people. The community is great and classes are a perfect size. I enjoy how much they emphasize on faith and professors try to get to know you better personally. Overall I say it’s a great place to not only study at but live.

George Fox University is an institute focused on the well-being of the student physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually. The institution gives many resources groups of all interests that can be found through social media outlets and signs on-campus. The faculty and staff have experience in their field of study and are well-published or have made great changes to their field. Students feel like they are part of a unique community, a sense of belonging that is valuable during times of personal growth. Professors are willing to listen and are available for feedback and questions. Resources are available for students that are struggling in their studies with the Academic Resource Center. There are workshops available through out the year providing quality assistance for life in and out of school: workshops in submitting for taxes, applying for FAFSA, business etiquette, and resume writing. There are community building activities with the residence staff to provide stability while attending school. George Fox University strives to be a holistic minded school.

George Fox University has been a blessing to me. I am currently a member of the honors program and have found home among the staff and students. Though some housing options could use an update, the campus is beautiful and well established. There is an active body of students here with campus pastors available 24-7 to provide counseling and support. The school motto is "BE KNOWN." I can say without a doubt that I am known as a student and individual person here at Fox.

Aspen

I love my school! Excellent University, great professors and staff and the on campus housing options are great! Better than trying to find an available place off campus which can be almost impossible. The food situation however, needs a complete overhaul the cafeteria hours don't work well if you are an athlete and forget variety or anything fresh. I have actually seen them use fresh veggies as decor instead of serving it to eat?? Also if you have food allergies your pretty much out of luck the vegan and gluten free options are slim at best. Get a doctor note and cook your own food.

I was looking for a school where I could further my softball career, have high academic standards, and further my faith. George Fox not only met all of my expectations of a school but exceeded them. They stay true to their "Be Known" promise and make it feel more like home than just somewhere you spend 4 years of your life.

Alexander

I really love the school. After three years of eating the cafeteria food it starts to go downhill. The professors are all more than happy to meet with students outside of regular school hours and even host events at their houses. If you're looking for a small christian university with a close knit community, Fox is a great place to be. Mind you it is a bit expensive.