Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Alex

GMU is probably the most eclectic school in the east coast. Thought I haven't had the chance to visit every school on the east coast, I doubt any other school has a higher level of diversity that Mason does. I believe in some recent survey, Mason is the second most diverse college. It's not Ivy-League school, but the pride displayed at Mason seems to grow more and more as I join events that take place at Mason. Being a Commuter myself, it's difficult get to know people and make friends, rather than acquaintances here and there. But, Mason's hospitality and the accepting students make it difficult to go about your day without stopping and spending a half hour talking to classmates on the way to the library to go study.

The student body at Mason is as mixed as it gets. Though I have noticed Soraroties and Frats trying to stick together, people at mason do make an effort to get to know the other person.

As inconspicuous as you might try to be, your professors to much surprise will know your name 85% of the time. Even if you are in a lecture hall of over 250 people, your professor will make an effort to know your name, or even understand you personally. I remember going into a friends psychology class my first semester to compare my class to hers, and the the professor had spent half the class period trying to figure out who I was with awkward glances towards me, while offering extra credit to certain individuals who she knew smoked habitually extra credit if they'd successfully stopped smoking by the semester's end. If you're in a small class setting, there's no question your professor will get to know your thought process. From papers, to conversations in class, you'll certainly notice the personal insight your professors will put into feedback as the semesters progress and you develop a relationship with your professors. Even if you're shy, your TA's will no doubt make an effort to help you, even when you're afraid to ask: in my STAT class, my TA would ask me "hey, did you forget to turn in your last assignment?" and if I had in fact forgotten, he'd take it right then and there, and if not then he'd make sure he'd gotten it on file. At this point, as a freshman, GMU is what you make of it. I'm still taking general-education classes and getting a feel of what I want to do and what Mason has to offer, but over time I can see Mason being beneficial to things I'd want to do towards my careers.

"It's just another community college"

Scarlet

When I tell people I go to GMU they pretty much always ask- "That's near DC, right?" and every once in a while someone will mention basketball...that's about it. It's a large school is getting bigger all the time, but can feel smaller if you take the time to connect with the people living around you. A really great thing about GMU is that it isnt stuck in the past like a lot of other well established schools. There is constant metamorphosis and growth with a real passion for what's new and cutting-edge. School pride is growing with the success of our basketball team. One thing that needs to change is the lack of advertisements for events. So many things are going on that no one knows about- except those in direct contact with those involved.

GMU's student body is extremely diverse (one of the top 5 most diverse in the nation). Walking around through the Johnson Center (the main building) while classes are in session is like walking through an international airport. So many different languages can be heard at once. I've never seen or felt any racial tension and people are mature enough to appreciate different ethnicities.

Overall, i'm really glad I go to GMU and i've only been here for one year. If you want a school with progressive ideas, a student body with unique individuals of different backgrounds, and an area with many possibilities as far as night-life and job opportunities, then GMU is the school for you.

Everyone commutes and no one is ever there on the weekends.

I'm sure the perspective of the GMU social life gets better each year..but it's true that it took a little while to find my niche. In the beginning of the year it's really easy to find frat parties (which if that's what you're into....it's a good idea to go to a lot of different ones to network) if you're a girl...you can get in basically anywhere...and there are never lines. as for guys...it gets harder once rush is over unless you know the brothers. as for the dc nightlife, there are plenty of clubs to go to and events to pay for and a bus will drive you to the metro. In terms of athletic events, basketball is pretty popular and although we don't have a football team, there have been talks of it happening in the future. As for the dating scene, I can't really talk because I'm still with the boy I met in high school, but I will say that there is a wide range of people of varying attractiveness levels. Not to mention there is no mold for a typical GMU student so you can meet a lot of different types of people.

Because I'm an art major, I rarely have classes bigger than 20 some people, which is nice. Every single professor i've had so far actually knows a lot about what they're teaching and is actually interested in the subject themselves. GMU requires you to take general education courses (which will probably take you a total of two semesters unless you come in with credits from AP or IB tests) which is a little bit obnoxious to those who have a clear picture of what they want to major in. Otherwise, they're actually relatively interesting. I took courses that I ended up loving, like Indian Dance and Human Geography, that I wouldn't have taken. As for courses within my major, my professors have been amazing. It's hard to have art teachers with good critiques and advice in a field so objective, but I've had four and all of them have taught me something.

While, yes, most of the students do commute, starting next year the freshman cannot have cars (which will lower the percentage of people living on campus leaving on the weekends). Personally, it's not that big of a deal having people who normally commute not there on the weekends because you'll probably be friends with people who stay around long enough to make friends with you in the first place.

Gene

The best thing about GMU is its location. George Mason University is only about a 20-30 minute drive to Washington DC and you can always take the metro if you don't have a car. Parking and the constant construction at Mason is a problem, so if you are going to be a freshman you may not want to take your car. I usually spend most of my time at the CCM chapel on Roberts Road or at the Johnson Center, or at Ikes, the late night diner in President's Park. George Mason is a great school and I highly recommend going here.

GMU students have some of the best energy I have ever experienced. Being a big school the need to stand out is great, and come basketball season the school will be getting pumped, hoping for another run at the final four.

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!! I have made my best friends here. people I KNOW I will keep in touch with my whole life.

George Mason is in fact one of the most diverse schools in the nation. It is always growing and is fast becoming more than "just a commuter school."

the reason that I chose George Mason is it has one of the best History programs in the nation. Professors are great and are really knowledgeable about the topics they study. George Mason has one of the best Liberal Arts educations offered, and has some award winning professors at its disposal.

GMU is one of the most diverse schools in the nation. People often dismiss GMU because it is too close to home. just a little commuter school.

There is no reason one should be bored at GMU. whatever you are into, whether it be religious organizations, parties, fraternities and Sororities, or ethnic organizations GMU has it. Our proximity to DC, as well as various activites around the town or here on campus offer several alternatives to partying.

Jordan

What's the best thing about GMU? - Being near DC Name one thing you'd change - Residential/Commuter Ratio Is your school too large, too small, or just right? - Mason feels small since there are so few residential students but than it has the benefits of a big school Where do you spend most of your time on campus? - Johnson Center What college town is right! Is there a lot of school pride? There's pride among the residential students but not the commuters there anything unusual about GMU? "Distrubuted Campus" What's one experience you'll always remember? The Basketball Games!!! What are the most frequent student complaints? Parking!!!!!

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? · GMU is very diverse and accepting, at least in my experience What kind of student would feel out of place at GMU? · Someone with no social skills, there's 30,000 people you bound to find some group you fit into What do most students wear to class? · Hoodie and jeans Do different types of students interact? · Somewhat Where are most GMU students from? · Northern Virginia or other parts of Virginia What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? · Middle to Upper-middle class Are students politically aware / active? Some, mostly from the residential students Are they predominantly left, right or center? · All of the above Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? - Occasionally

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? · SDS Pride Alliance College Democrats Do students in dorms leave their doors open? · Depends on the floor How popular are athletic events? The basketball games are really popular Guest speakers? Theater? · Tell us about the dating scene. · How did you meet your closest friends? · On my floor If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? · TV or at Ike's (All night diner) How important are fraternities/sororities? · Not very, they cant' have houses What did you do last weekend? · Went out to dinner, went to the Smithsonian What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? See a movie hang out with friends What do you do off campus? Clubbing, movies, museums, shopping

GM-What? Most people don't seem to know anything about is.

Do professors know your name? · Some do, some don't Tell us about your favorite class. History 125 with Peter Stearns, brillant and nice guy Least favorite? · IT 103 a gen ed How often do students study? · LOL No Is class participation common? · Depends on the class. Major classes yes. Gen eds no. Do GMU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? · Some do, you have to find the right friends Are students competitive? · Not really, the school is too big for that What's the most unique class you've taken? · Queer Theory Tell us about your major / department. · Global Affairs major, interdisciplinary degree Do you spend time with professors outside of class? · Yes, but I'm in a Living Learning Community I don't think most people do outside of office hours How do you feel about GMU 's academic requirements? · Middle of the road Is the education at GMU geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake? - Job

Most people haven't heard of it, so I couldn't say.

Amy

this school is too commercial. Too many people coming and going that you don't know. Not a typical "college feel".

alway something going one, very diverse group, but very very clique-y

There are a lot of classes that are lectures, but thats to be expected with a school this big. I dont like some of the teachers, some just don't seem to care at all. its like its just a job to them.

Mason is a really good school. It's a big commuter school so people in this area dont tend to take it as seriously but its not an easy school to get into so you just need to ignore that reaction. They dont mean it to be rude, Mason is just a school that a lot of kids around here go to. It's definitely NOT a college town. I mean you can have fun but its not like some universities you may have visited. Um as for administration...the school is just TOO big. There are too many students to be able to make things personal. I havent had to deal much with admin. but i have had to deal with ad visors and its nit the easiest process ever. But you go to a big school its kind of expected. most frequent complaint?? --> PARKING. Parking is ridiculous. I cant say it any diferent than that...RIDICULOUS. Its literally horrible. There is so much building going on and really it feels like the admin doesnt care. They have their parking spaces up front they dont seem to see a problem. But yeah if youre going to be a commuter i would just be ready for the situation.

Mason is incredibly diverse. There are people of every size, shape and color, seriously. Religions, races, genders, EVERYTHING. Dont be afraid to come to mason cause you wont fit in, theres someplace for everyone.

PARKING SUCKS. COUNSELING-- ok so this is one of my friends experience with counselrs at gmu...He had madatory lab experiments for one of his classes, but he also had mandatory attendance in another class. So his one teacher told him, well you have to make a decision, either dont come to my class or dont go to your experiment. So he went to his counselor for some help and her answer to him was, um i dont even know what your talking about. ive never heard of those. That was all she said, she wouldnt help longer than that. Her repley was then that she guessed that he should appeal to the dean. Ok so appealing to the dean took longer than the entire summer semester. Yeah so counseling i would give about a D. just fyi. COPS-- one word...PSYCHO. yeah they are crazy. one cop a girl i knew a ticket for her tire being on the line then came back an hour later and gave her a second cause she hadnt moved her car...SHE WAS STILL IN CLASS. She appealed it and got it taken away but thats the thing, everyone has to go through the appeal process to get ridiculously insane tickets taken away. yeah i dont know about anyone else but in my opinion thats just stupid. Mason needs to get a hold of the cops. again just an fyi for commuter students. and one more time for the commuter students...parking suuuuuuuuuuuckssssss, oh yeah and mason doesnt care that it sucks, at all.

My experience with academics at Mason has been all in all a good one. My sophomore and junior classes have been relatively small. Ive only had two classes with over 50 people. As for classes, im a history major so thats the only department i can really speak for. MY teachers have been really good. Ive really enjoyed my classes and and most of my teachers teaching style. If you are looking tobe ahistory major then you will definitely be in good hands with masons professors. In my classes participation is actually really common. Thetre is a lot of talking back and forth with the teacher and with other students. My professors have always been good about meeting out of class if a student need to. Some of the problems i do have with acadmeics is the gen ed requirements and the class schedules. I was required to take 4 classes of spanish for my history major. I found that crazyy. I mean it was almost like just random majors were picked to have language requirements, thats one thing that made me really angry, especially since the spanish dept at mason isnt the best. As for class schedules...ok in a school of over 30,000 students it just seems like they should think more clearly when making the class schedule. There just dont seem to be enough classes and DEFINITELY not enough class times. All the classes seem to be at the same time, hmm cant take 5 classes at the same time now can you?

Alicia

This is not a college town at all. I have been to many and walked around, there need to be more things students can walk to and more food services that are delivered to dorms. Also Frat and Soroity houses need to be installed.

GMU is a very diverse place, you can here ten different languages just walking around campus to get food.

Mostly, the social life here, revolves around food.

Preppy, Diverse, people only come here if they dont get in anywhere else

Most classes that are under 35 people take role, I think taking role is not right.

Renee

Mason is technically the biggest school in Virginia, but it frequently feels tiny. The campus physically is a great size: not too small, but not overwhelmingly large. Perhaps because the on-campus community is smaller, it often feels like a small school where everyone winds up being liked a lot more closely than you think. Basketball is the big sport here, especially since we went to the Final Four a few years ago. In my opinion, nothing will top that season, and our success was due mostly to the quality and combination of players that particular season, so basketball games have somewhat lost their appeal since that year. The professors at GMU are good, but much of the other faculty members are less than satisfactory. Good luck finding a competent advisor. I've actually found that some of the other members of the department may be more dependable advisors than the "advisors" themselves. Good luck with traffic. Construction is everywhere. The school is a lot of fun if you find the right people for you, and if you make an effort to make your time here worthwhile. It's not a campus-wide drunkfest every Saturday night like Penn State, but you can find parties (or have your own) and definitely have a good time.

Mason is "known" for its diversity. However, a lot of students would say that that diversity does not affect them very much. Unless you are part of intercultural clubs or have a really dialogue-focused class, people pretty much just stick to themselves. It all depends on who you talk to when you first come here how much diversity will really affect you. Like I said before, you'll find all kinds of people here, so it just depends on whom you find, whom you click with, and whom you stay in contact with.

The university itself is actually pretty good academically, especially if you enter it with the intentions of getting a quality education and pushing yourself. Also, most of the faculty has a lot of real-world experience that is meaningful in a classroom. The university is also constantly improving its academic status, and it is really trying to make a bigger name for itself. Unfortunately, a lot of the student population does reflect the stereotype. However, there is a wide spectrum of students at Mason, so you'll find a lot of intelligent and driven people here as well. The school is definitely still a commuter school, although there is a concerted effort to make it less so. This is evident in the endless (and often frustrating) amount of construction throughout the campus. For this reason, traffic is frequently atrocious! Also, as a commuter school, it is rather difficult to meet people and get involved on campus (although it is slowly getting better). If you want this kind of involvement, you have to make a deliberate effort to find join clubs or activities.

The university itself is actually decent good academically, especially if you enter it with the intentions of getting a quality education and pushing yourself. Also, most of the faculty has a lot of real-world experience that is meaningful in a classroom. The university is also constantly improving its academic status, and it is really trying to make a bigger name for itself. Unfortunately, a lot of the student population does reflect the stereotype. However, there is a wide spectrum of students at Mason, so you'll find a lot of intelligent and driven people here as well.

It is rather difficult to meet people and get involved on campus (although it is slowly getting better). If you want this kind of involvement, you have to make a deliberate effort to find join clubs or activities. There are a lot of clubs and organizations that can be fun (Greek, cultural, volunteer, athletics, etc.), but you have to make an effort to find what you're interested in.

GMU and GMU students are not typically known for their academic excellence. It's also known as a commuter school.

Alex

There are quite a few things I would change about GMU. The biggest problem is the school is adding all the dorms and such to transform themselves from a commuter school to a more traditional college, but have NOTHING on the weekends. There is hardly any food open on campus and nothing to do. Because there is nothing to do or eat on campus on the weekends, the people who live close often go home, and those that don't have no reason to leave their room, so campus is DEAD. I would really like more things to be open.

I have found that at GMU making friends to hang out with can be quite difficult. A large part of the student body commutes, so it is kind of hard to get to know people from class outside of class. So you are basically stuck with meeting the people in your building at first -- this of course leads to meeting others over time, but if you don't get along with your roommates it can make it difficult. Clubs are a option as well, but if you are like me and don't have time with classes, it makes it even harder. It does happen though, it just took longer than I would have liked.

The same kind of thing I said above.

It kind of still seems like this is the fall back school for students in VA...but it really isn't that easy to get into anymore, but it just seems like a lot of people still think that way. I did too, and I still kind of do too because I had gotten into my first choice, but a financial situation forced me to come here. The education is really great though, so that thought process is really not deserved.

The academic experience at GMU varies greatly from class to class. I have found that some classes are very interactive, and others are like the stereotypical professor who doesn't give a damn. However, almost all are willing to answer questions and help students out during their office hours. My major, physics, has so far not had very good professors or well, maybe they were good, but have not taught in a learning style that I am receptive to.

No, the education is very good here, with some fantastic professors.

Harper

The campus is extremely ethnically diverse. Students at Mason are very friendly, and you may make friends with someone whom you might have never imagined. No one would ever feel out of place.

Parking at George Mason is awful!!! You will pay $180 a year for a parking pass and still have to struggle to find parking, especially now with all of the construction going on around campus. Parking Services is also ruthless. They are extremely quick to give tickets...if they say you have 20 minutes to park in a spot...you really only have 19. BE CAREFUL!

Sororities and fraternities are rather big on Mason's campus. We finally have all nine of the Divine Nine historically black fraternities and sororities. Clubs are huge too! There is a club for basically anything that you might be interested in, and if there isn't, it is relatively easy to start a club!

I love the academics at Mason. Though Mason may not be an Ivy League university, there are certainly advanced/honors courses individuals can take if they want a little extra challenge. You can also take classes at any university in the area that is a part of the Consortium (those include Georgetown, George Washington, Marymount, American University, etc.); this a great program that not many students take advantage of.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.