Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Niki

lack of commitment and enthusiasm in school life affairs

lack of commitment and enthusiasm in school life affairs

the most predominant aren't taking interest in on campus issues. commuters just come and go. not enough enthusiasm in the kids attending classes/university.

we have religious differences, its not all 'kumbayah'. we are separated and have our own cliches. our professors sometimes don't try hard enough.

they're usually meant for on campus kids.

they're stupid; they don't speak english; they don't care about their education

they don't challenge us enough.

Wade

I really liked my school. It was a good size, did not take very long to travel from one side of campus to the other. The campus is not overly crowded so you don't feel like you are packed in a sardine can while walking from class to class. I am not incredibly into school spirit, though I did enjoy cheering on the basketball team this year and watching the games. As for the biggest complain...parking is terrible. Period.

The GMU student body is INCREDIBLY diverse! Which to me is an amazing and awesome experience. Just walking down the sidewalk from one class to another you may very well hear at least 2-3 different languages being spoken and you definitely see people who come from all over the world.

I have made many good friends among the professors I have had. Class participation is a bit higher than in high school, as for competition among students I have no idea about that. I do spend time with professors outside of class, just talking about anything and everything, though not too often. Honestly I would have to say that the education I have received at GMU is geared toward learning for its own sake, not towards getting a job.

I am not involved in any clubs, though I have gone to some basketball games. My friends and I generally go to bars off campus, don't party on campus. I have no idea about the frats and such, don't care for them.

Lorie

Size is not an issue, it does not matter as long as the classes dont go beyond 23 per class. GMUs administration can be generally described as conservative. However, most of them think of themselves as liberal. A variety of people have complained that most students in the school are stuck up. My opinion, there is enough room for everybody. One thing I will say about the bureocracy that a students has to go through when trying to develop an idea can be frustrating. Example, I was involved with Student Activites for an event i organized, International Trade Discussion. After a written committment from different departments on campus it took them over three months to get speakers to get paid. This makes everybody look bad. I'm thankful that they were supportive, but I made committments to have these people paid and was unable to meet it. Not a good thing at all. Another thing I would work on changing is making African language classes available.

I dont know enough to talk about this one.

You really have to shop arround. Few are great, most of them are average and some of them are real difficult to learn anything from. Just like students.

For the most part some are but you have to go beyond the surface from an individual stand point.

Very clickish,which is true. Majority of students come from HS in the area and the others who generally tend to form clicks based on nationality or language. It is a diverse school but its not expressed in the curriculum and activities or temprature enough.

Social life is very bland because all of VA is pretty bland.

Hanna

I think my school is just right! The best thing about GMU is the location (25 min outside of DC). When I tell people I am a GMU student they all ask about the Final Four. I spend most of my time on campus in my room. For me it would be "what college town?" GMU administration is great! I worked at the SOM Dean's office for 2 years and the faculty and staff are great people. There is some school pride. I-week is my fondest memory, the exhibition of over a dozen cultures and traditions. Most frequent student complaints pertain to PARKING, or lack of.

I think that for the most part the GMU student body is the most tolerating student body or a group of people i've come across.

I don't think so, we may not be a traditional school, but every GMU student I know loves the location, campus, and most of all the DIVERSITY!

My favorite class was MKTG Jeff Kulick was my prof. really cool guy, and an amazing teacher! I learned a great deal in his class.

That GMU students don't have School Spirit.

I'm involved with The Ethiopian Student Association, I am the vice president and have been on the exec board for 3 years. I love my organization, we always have fun and annually meet our goals.

Kelsey

*Though the GMU student body is very diverse, the different groups typically stay within their own groups *most of the students financially are well-off, its hard to find very many people in the same poor boat as me *politically, students are all over the place

*i know most of my professors' names *my favorite class is my African American class and my least favorite is my social psyc class *i study probably 3 days before every test *class participation only happens in small classes with an approachable teacher *my department is integrative studies and its one of the few that is organized and knows its students *I think that the education at GMU is more geared towards learning just because i know of few options once i graduate and need a job

*a stereotype is we don't have a lot of fun

*socially, george mason has few on campus activities that happen after 9 o'clock. there are few traditions and closeness between the students besides the people that have already bonded at events off-campus

Carson

I've been to a lot of college campuses, and Mason honestly has the best looking buildings of any campus I've seen. The entire campus is very scenic. The Johnson Center is one of the best places to hang out. Food court, study rooms, bookstore, late hours, I feel that's everything any student needs.

Mason has students with a lot of diverse backgrounds. It's like having a college that feels similar to the United Nations.

I think Mason is one of the best colleges to attend.

Mason academics aren't easy. But I suppose that's a good thing because it shows we have a strong academic system. Professors usually have expertise in their field.

No. When people sometimes stand up and introduce themselves at the beginning of the semester, they usually say they're from other states or from a southern area of Virginia. And about parking...people complain because they're too lazy to park in the back of the F lot. I always park there and there's plenty of space.

I don't know too much about Mason activities, because I work a lot and don't get involved in the Mason clubs and groups. It does seem that they offer a wide variety of groups to choose from.

That we're all commuters and there's no parking.

Jimmy

A large variety of academic studies are available to students. It is a very large school, approxamitely 30,000. I spend most of my time in the central building called the Johnson Center studying. Students participate in Mason week, a period designed to try to create a community feeling for all students with school spirit.

I think the school is just the right size and does not need to expand. People don't react shocked or surprised. They react mostly unenthusiastic. I spend most of my time in the Johnson Center. I think the administration is managing well. A recent controversy a while ago was that some of the police call boxes were not working but now i think its been fixed. If school pride includes political activity among students then there is a lot. Students engage in organizations that promote good in the world and also political ideology. I don't think there is anything unusual. A frequent complaint is the parking. Friends are always complaining about the availability of parking.

I have not experienced any negative social interactions with other students here at Mason. Diversity is welcome here.

George Mason offers many clubs for students and allows students to create clubs that may not already exist. This allows for a lot of room for involvement in the Mason community. Mason also offers fraternities that are engaged in social programs.

Some professors are able to truly learn the names of their students. Mason professors realy do like to get to know students they teach. My favorite classes have been in the area of Religious Studies which is also my Minor degree. Education is designed to get a job in some areas of academics here but also it is designed for learning for the sake of learning because not all required classes may be directly related to the major.

I see students from vastly different ethnic backgrounds everyday. I have had classes also with such diverse students and also with students of a variety of religious backgrounds not just different christian backgrounds but also Jewish, Islamic and other backgrounds. However, to a degree students may connect within cliques of their own types. Sometimes i see students of different backgrounds religious/ethnicity/race interact. I do. I have never been to the dining hall. Students do come from around the world but mostly from the Northern Virginia area and the USA. I don't know about financial backgrounds. Students are definantly politicaly aware. I see an equal representation of left and right when there is a protest but i think the 'right' minded students do more campaigns around campus than the 'left'. I haven't heard much about what someone will earn one day.

There are sororities, political organizations, sports clubs and clubs of other interests on campus including religion affiliated clubs. I am affiliated with a religious club organization. I don't know about dorm students. I think theatre is very popular i have been to some. I think people party a lot.

Yes, they know my name. My religion teacher makes learning fun. Im sure students study often. Yes, there is a lot of discussion and also lecture in class for participation. I don't spend time with professors. I think the requirements are fair. Whether getting a job directly or just learning i think that depends on the students intention because it may be easier in getting a job in some fields of study than others and the student must figure out how to apply their major to a job field that may not necessarily immediately resemble the major, such as an english major trying to go into science.

Paul

First, Conceled Carry should be allowed on campus for commuter students who are legally eligable. I was rejected twice from GMU, and only after I submitted an appeal letter to the dean of admissions explaining that I fulfilled all the requirments for GUARANTEED acceptance. That still deeply bothers me.

That GMU is full of rich, over privilaged kids from Northern Virginia

I do not consider myself a social person, I am more focused on my studies.

It could be harder, but I do enjoy the history classes that I have taken.

travis

conceal and carry holders cannot carry on school property, this make us targets both on campus and traveling to and from

I have no social life ... im married

Lisa

GMU is a small-medium sized school in the middle of suburbia outside of D.C. It is not very well known because of its size... well since the Final 4 in 2006 GMU has risen out of the shadows. GMU isn't a very lively school nor does it have much of a campus life because so many people commute and there aren't many options for fun on campus. I mean, the entire main student center, the JC, shuts down over the weekends so people who actually live on campus are fucked when it comes to food on campus. Those who have cars don't stay on campus over the weekend, and those who don't have cars have to stay here and do what? I don't know, I don't live on campus.

GMU is very diverse. Even if one doesn't speak english, they can always find someone who is in the same position and who speaks the same language! They travel in packs, actually and there is usually at least one of them in your class. Because of its diversity, GMU presents many organizations who boast their ethnicity. We even have international week every year where students get a taste of different cultures. What do most students wear to class? Umm, GMU hoodies/t-shirts with GMU sweatpants/basketball shorts and GMU flip flops... as if we don't know what school you attend, please. GMU is a very unfashionable school except for the small percentage who actually care what they look like and make the effort to look good.

A bit. Many GMU students commute and GMU is very diverse so yeah we'll see groups of asians at a time. There's a campus life but nothing too huge to boast about.

Most classes are small, mostly freshman gen.ed classes are in giant lecture halls. I don't know how much people study but I see many people studying in between classes in the J.C. probably because they commute and don't want to waste time and gas driving home and then driving back for their next class. There are some really intellecutal students who can carry on an intellectual conversation but there some some who are like "what?" and other who don't even understand english. The communication department is petty cool. All of the professors that I've had are really nice and laid back and stories of comm professors I don't have are all positive. I don't think I've heard a negative thing about a comm professor. The comm department really helps you out with jobs and internships. I think the education at GMU is geared toward getting a job. We have a career service that helps you look for jobs and internships and they also look over the resume so you're not presenting a piece of paper full of crap when you talk to prospective employers.

I don't live on campus so I don't know what goes on when I am not here. But there's a good presence of Greek Life here and they do a lot on campus and you see their letters everywhere. Ethnic clubs are also abundant due to our diversity. Basketball games are pretty much the most popular athletic event. All the other sports are not worthy. The people I hang out with at school are mostly people I've known since high school plus mutual friends. We just sit around in the JC and make fun of people.

They're all commuters, asian, and there's no campus life.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.