Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Diana

GMU students are just waiting to go other places..till they get better grades..It's the college you just go to.

Not really. Some people go to Mason for a few years then transfer out but some people transfer here. Mason was on my top list, it's a good college.

It all depends on your class and your own participation, most teachers want to get to know your name, if you don't participate they don't really have a reason to though. GMU student have study groups you just have to get to know the people in your class. I suggest getting an academic advisor, because the academic requirements can get confusing at times. And GMU is geared toward both learning and getting a job..the have people there to just help you with your resume.

Alex

I chose to come to GMU because of the location, being so close to DC, and because of the diversity of the school. I feel the size is just right because you always see the people you know and keep meeting new ones. I feel like the biggest problem is school pride and the lack of it. There is a handful of people here who are proud to go to Mason, but the majority just dont care.

Because the school is SO diverse with ethnicities and religions, there is alot of room for potential racism and religious conflict. I have definitely run into anti semetic people here at mason, but were only anti semetic because of their world views and what they were taught growing up. I personally have a lot of friends with different backgrounds because I am a worldly person. But I am also friends with people who are against people from other backgrounds, just because they arent white.

It is true that the school is more of a commuter school and that it is very diverse.

I feel the academics are very good at Mason and are not that challenging. The schools academics and intensity of them are continuously growing ad will continue to grow. I feel that by the time i graduate the school will have more recognition for its academics.

The stereotype for GMU is that it is the Cinderella story school of the east coast. After placing in the Final Four, GMU got more publicity and more applications from students. Once a student comes here, they come up with the stereotypes that it is a commuter school, it has alot of people from other coutries, and that people come here if they didnt get into better schools.

If someone is not willing to go out and find people to hang out with on the weekend or find a party to go to, then it will be really hard to go out and have a social life. But htere are many organizations on campus to meet people. People just need the motivation to go out ad join them.

Ryan

The worst thing: Parking, Housing, Food, School Spirit, The best things: Basketball games, close to DC. Alpha Phi Fraternity

Won't accept Greek life.

Michele Goubadia ruins our social life.

Lots of foreigners and stuck up white kids

jackie

There is not as much school pride as I would like but I feel that I have gotten a great education through the New Century College program. There are also lots of organizations to join and aslong as you put yourself out there to meet new people you will. Joining a sorority was one of the best things I did at Mason.

There are very diverse groups here at mason and provides for a great learning experiene, and you also learn to accept other cultures where as other colleges you would not get that experience

no, there are people from all over the world who go here, my roommate for example is from india

I feel that the classes towards my major, Elementary education are easy A classes and that I do not learn much in those classes. There should be more in the class room observation hours and experince through the education program. However, I am very happy with the other classes I have taken here.

Joing a sorority really gets you involved on campus and allows you to meet many people. My freshman year I was not involved in one and only met people who lived on my floor and that was not how I wanted the my college eperince to be.

that we are all from around the area and all went to local high schools

Alex

The best thing about GMU I feel is its location. We are located 15miles from Washington DC, meaning there are many things to do around the area. Along with many job opportunities due to the large metropolitan business districts that surround the school. I like how large our university is it is just right for me. When I tell people I attend GMU people always ask and refer to us with our Final Four run back in 2006. I spend most of my time at GMU in the Johnson Center, or in the residence halls. No George Mason is definitely not a college town. The biggest controversy on campus is and always will be the parking at George Mason and how there is NONE. The school spirit at Mason has drastically increased since the Final Four run I see alot more people dressed in Mason attire as well as coming out to support athletic events.

Being at Mason has given me a huge culture shock and has made me aware of many other ethnicities, religions etc.. It is definitely something a student has to get used to. Mason community is very materialistic as to what they wear to class and around campus.

The stereotypes that GMU holds is that GMU is a commuter school and that GMU has the most diverse student population.

Yes students in Presidents Park (freshman housing) leave their doors open. Once students move out of Presidents Park they do not. There are absolutely no guys at Mason...I met my closest friends my freshman year of college they lived on my hall and became part of my sorority. If you are not an athlete or in a sorority or fraternity you have no social life. When I go off campus I shop, go into DC, go to the bars in downtown ffx, arlington, and dc.

In my major classes, my professors know my name due to the fact the classes are smaller. Which i really like because if i need additional help you do get the one on one attention. Other than major classes the classes are too big for professors to know you by name. Class participation is expected in all classes except for large lecture classes. My academic experience at Mason has been academically stimulating and rewarding. The curriculm is challenging but yet doable.

These stereotypes are 100% accurate. Even tho in the last four years our on campus life has begin to grow tremendously. By 2009 there will be more than 8,000 people on campus.

whit

Great campus life and professors. the biggest complaint would be lack of parking and food places closing to early. Most people spend their time in the Johnson Center. the campus basically revolves around this building.

greek life tends to be popular on campus but there are a number of other activites. There are lots of things to do as long as you look for them and are open to trying new things

A wide aray of classes. The professors are pretty great and scheduling classes is pretty easy.

Allison

Overall George Mason is great, however parking and housing can both be a pain in the ass, but they're currently working on both.EVERYONE hates parking. We're not really a college town, but we do have a lot of bars and fun places to go to, plus we're twenty minutes outside of D.C. I spend most of my time either off campus or in my room. We tend to have alot of pride, especially when it comes to basketball. There isn't a whole lot of controversy, but about once a year really intense evangelicals come onto campus and damn everyone and we all protest, its pretty fun.

As far as student body goes, we are really open. I'm a lesbian and have never had any problems with it on campus, we even have a whole Pride Week. I feel like everyones really different, but thats also okay with everyone else. No one really seems to be ostracized. Overall we're a pretty liberal school, so the republicans may have a hard time sometimes. We have a lot of International students. Overall, we're kind of segregated in terms of types of people, but I don't think we're any worse than other schools.

I like GMU, alot!!! P.S. Admissions tends to lose things ALL the time, so if you send anything, call them repeatedly

Theres a ton to do. We have all kinds of clubs and organizations for EVERYONE, we have breakdancing, rockclimbing, sports, etc. I used to be involved in Pride and we were all pretty close, and hung out alot. Theres always something to do on campus, whether its people coming to speak or art shows, or events. We also have pretty decent parties depending on what frats you go to, a little known secret is that the Jewish frat throws the best parties. We have greek life, but its not really that important unless your actually in one. Theres still alot to do in D.C. too, which isn't too far. We go to alot of protests.

I think the academics here are pretty good once you get into the upper level classes. A lot of professors are really good, but when they terach 100 level classes they kind of B.S. it because its not what they're really interested in. In my upper level classes I've had a lot of great teachers, all who know my name and work with me on an individual basis if I need it. Most of them are always more than willing to help you out if you need. We also have a lot of really interesting classes, like Cyber punk, Queer Studies and Female Genital Cutting, for example. Some stuff is geared toward getting a job and managing in your field, but alot of it is learning just to know more. I'm an art major and everyone is really close in the art department, we all call our professors by their first name and they all will discuss work with you and joke around.

Yes, however, we don't really mingle. We're diverse yet kind of socially segregated

Ashwin

The best thing about GMU is the environment over here. Very Pleasent to be precise. A very good place to study and hangout as well.. One thing needs to be changed..Is the library..very sad collection

ISA and HSC rocks.. :D

The crowd is always hott!! even if the weather is cold!

I dont drink and I dont smoke... Social Life Rocks....I have no clue abt on campus students as i stay off campus

Obviously the professors know my name.. I am a research assistant..The courses offered in gmu are kinda okie dokie but would help if they offered more courses in Electrical Engg

Mel

The faculty is helpful,The campus

The faculty is helpful,The campus

The campus is always full of activity be it academic or otherwise

Graduate crowd is normally well experinced in the industry so it helps in making the coursework fun.

The aquatic center is a fun place to hangout

The professors know you personally and are very approachable.

scott

it is underfunded, and tuition is too high +professors do not conform to department standards---not to mention their being uncompromising and incompetant

professors do not help you. period. the only good professor is rusticci----and thats because rusticci is a god

according to the princeton review, GMU is the most diverse university in america, representing over 139 countries---so yeah

they are from a different country, have parents who work in embassies and/or are diplomats; that they may have spent the majority of thier lives in a foriegn country

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.