Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Bill

Size is just right. People react respectful when I tell them i go to GMU. Spend most my time in JC or Dorms. Not nessararly a "college towm". No controversy this year. Administration can be strict at times. A lot of school pride. Nothing unusual. Always remeber getting caught with to many people in my room. Biggest compliant is the drinking policy.

Its a real diverse campus. students wear anythign from sweats to suits to class. all types of students interact. Athletes, frats, sororiety, random. most students are from VA or NJ

Professor know ur name for the most part. favorite class is comm 101. least favorite univ 100. participation is sometimes common. outside conversation, yes. students are competitive. i dont spend time with prof. outside class. most unique class is comm 101.requirments seems respectable. toward gettina job.

Frats and sororietys. Im involved in wrestling. Dorms are left opens sometimes. closet friend was my suit mate freshman yr. Basketball is big, and so are concerts. People party every weekend. last weekend i got drunk. frat and soror are big. off campus i party.

Andy

The administration is helpful but plagued by bureaucratic tendencies.

The administration is helpful but plagued by bureaucratic tendencies.

The student body is really diverse and makes quite a big deal of the fact. Most of the students talk about how much money they earn but also most don't seem to want to leave the area.

There is a healthy academic life here but not much else. There is a lack of overall generally enthusiasm for most events except for basketball.

The academics are superb. The education here is a DC school education at half the cost. The class sizes vary but usually within the upper classes the teachers do know your names and are helpful with academics or any other thing that comes up.

For the most part. There are a few clubs on campus but nothing really beyond ethnic based clubs and greek organizations. An overwhelming number of students are from Virginia and over half of the student population are commuters.

That they are all commuters from the local area in Northern Virginia. Another is that there is no campus social life.

The best thing about GMU is its location. One thing i would change is that there isn't much parking. The size is just right, it would be nice if more people lived on campus. When i tell people i go to GMU, they immediately talk about basketball. Most of my time on campus is spent in my dorm and the JC. There is not a lot of school pride, i think it is because we don't have a football team. The most student complaints is that there is not enough parking and not enough food places on campus.

There isn't a specific person that would feel out of place because there is so much diversity. Most students wear jeans to class. Most GMu students are from Virginia, and i have also met alot from New Jersey and Philly. Students don't discuss how much they'll earn. The dining hall's are okay, the salad bars are good.

Some professors know my name depending on the size of the class. My favorite class is Dance Appreciation. My least favorite is economics. Students time spent studying varies, when a test is near, the more serious it is.GMU's academic requirements are competitive because of the increase in number of students applying.

The most popular team on campus is basketball. I was involved in club volleyball, it was interesting but their wasn't that many girls who stayed comitted. Students in the dorms normally don't leave their doors open. However, i think that type of atmostphere would be a lot more exciting. Athletic events are semi- popular, depending on the sport. I met my closest friends from class and my dorm. If i am awake on a Tuesday night i am probably on the internet. Mason Day happens each year, as long as different activities for the basketball team. There are a number of things to do off campus because of the location.

-commuter school -Students are really diverse

harry

not much school pride unless the basketbll team gets lucky and makes it to the tournament. Definately not a college town

It's a mix. Some professors know your name, others do not. I am an exercise science major and a lot of the people in that department are tight because you have a lot of classes with the same students and professors.

Erika

I think Mason is getting too large. After the the basketball team making it to the final four it seems like they're just letting everybody in and doing more and more construction and taking up room that is needed for students during school. I wish Mason was in a college town. This is such a large area and Mason is located in such a place where there isn't a certain area where you'll mainly find students.

I'm not involved with any groups on campus

I think to a certain extent they might be true. But I know that I've made a few friends at Mason that I didn't have any ties to before.

I really like the classes at Mason, but I don't feel like it's a very intimate environment. The classes are usually big enough that you can just blend in

The students are wealthy and maybe snobby. That GMU is a commuter school so no one is interested in connecting and making new friendships.

Harper

The best thing about GMU is being close to DC. One thing I'd change would the parking lots..they get really overcrowded and the parking permits are expensive. But then again..so are all colleges. Mason is a good size..it has a huge student population but a smaller population living on campus which makes it more likely for you to see people you know daily. I spend most of my time on campus in the Johnson Center..the mall like designed center of campus where there's libraries, computers, and food. Fairfax isn't really a college town. School pride is growing..everyone loves the basketball team.

Mason's student body is very diverse and everyone seems to be accepting.

The professors at Mason are all pretty cool. I work 30 hours a week and am taking 18 units and, although I stay busy, I'm surviving. The psychology department is awesome and gives its students great opportunities for internships and employment. The English department is also excellent, in particular the Creative Writing program (which is one of the top 10 graduate programs in the US.) All of the academic requirements are reasonable.

No, half of the school lives on campus and a majority of the rest are students who previously lived on campus and moved off with roommates. There are plenty of things to do on and off campus within student life, all you gotta do is look around. Mason's not a party campus, but there are parties going on.

IF you really want to get in with campus life, I would say join a fraternity or sorority. Although this is not the only way to get involved, it's definitely one of the big ones at Mason. In the dorms, everyone left their doors open and almost everyone on our floor was friends. I now live with 4 of the girls I lived with on campus, off campus. Basketball games are huge, everyone loves them. People party thursday-sundays. If you don't want to drink, you can always go to a concert or head into DC/Georgetown to a comedy club. There are a lot of restaurants and movie theaters in Fairfax Corner or Fair Oaks area. Last weekend, I went to a club in DC Thursday night, went out to dinner at Outback on Friday night, and hung out with the roomies Saturday.

Everyone assumes GMU students are commuters and that there isn't a lot of student life. A lot of people think that there's nothing fun to do at Mason, but it's because they don't look for it.

Ellie

Mason is in a dynamic period, with a lot of rapid change. Some of it is positive, and some of it brings growing pains. On the good end, the administration has finally begun to figure out that we're not all commuters, and to actually have food and activities available on campus on the weekends. With our final four run in 2006 and our 2008 CAA championship, GMU has started to be better-recognized. I get fewer "George Mason? Where's that?" questions when I tell people where I attend now. After those basketball victories, applications flooded in as never before. The academic standards for incoming students were raised, and our ever-increasing student body demanded more on-campus housing. Which leads to the sad changes: when I first came here, much of the campus was forest, and wildlife was common--deer, racoons, foxes, all kinds of woodland creatures. Now many of those forests I loved have been chopped down to make room for a lot of new dorms and apartment-style living. There did not used to be a lot of school pride here, and it's still not the most enthusiastic group of students, although the recent basketball victories helped to change that too. My freshman year, I thought school pride was a myth. During our Final Four run, it was amazing how much different the campus dynamic felt. The campus never quite fully returned to its apathetic state, and the atmosphere again became electric when we were the CAA champions this year as well.

Since Mason is so diverse, it's pretty much expected that you'll have a broad range of races, ethnicities, religions, etc. in your classes. I've experienced a little religious tension when a Christian group I was active in had real trouble trying to reserve campus rooms for meetings and Bible Studies, when other groups seemed to have no problem. The only widespread ethnic/racial/religious tension I've heard about on campus has been in regard to the "meditation space" in the JC, which basically is the place where Mason's Muslim students go to pray when they're on campus. The "meditation space" is supposed to be open to all students, but it's pretty much understood that it's the place for Muslim students. I've heard of them kicking out other worshipers when it came time for their prayers.

A lot of people think of Mason as a small commuter school. We're known for our diversity.

Most professors seem to know our names and care about their students. Of course, there's always that adjunct guy who just comes in to teach a few math classes to pay his nice car off and doesn't care about his students, but not all adjuncts are bad. Ironically, some of the best teachers I've had have been adjunct. The music department has some professors who play in the National Symphony Orchestra and various military bands from the DC area. The communication department has had professionals from all kinds of backgrounds who come in to teach. While they may not be the most academic of professors, they certainly have real-life experience that they can share with us! I've heard from some professors that students at Mason are somewhat less participative during class than at some other schools. I've definitely been in situations that felt like I was either the only one in the class who knew the answer to the professor's questions, or at least the only one who really cared to answer. I wouldn't consider Mason a really "intellectual" place. But learning does take place, and it is in a really great location for internships and jobs in DC.

Fairfax is certainly not a "college town," but that's hardly an issue since you can hop on the metro or on I-66 and get to DC in a half hour. A lot of people party at clubs in DC. It's also great to be able to spend the day at the Smithsonian, the National Gallery of Art, the Kennedy Center, the National Mall. Mason is not as open a community as some other campuses I've visited. The dorm culture really depends on the dorm, but in my experience, most doors are closed. The Northern Virginia culture seems to exude "I'll do my thing and you can do yours, and we'll leave each other alone unless we have a reason to interact." Nevertheless, the people you have in your classes/group projects are mostly very nice and cooperative.

Mason is becoming less and less of a commuter school.

Laura

College town, or "what college town?" Mason is located in Fairfax, VA which is a very large city in Northern Virginia. It is not your average college town because we are so close to everything. There are both good and bad sides to living in Northern Virginia. For example, a great thing is the access to Washington, D.C. which leads us to great internships and job possibilities for the future. The negative thing about being in Fairfax is that we as Mason students don't have the typical college experience of living in a small town, getting away with having parties, etc because George Mason conveniently uses the police service of Fairfax county so they are not as lenient as a smaller town.

Are students politically aware/active? Are they predominantly left, right or center? Mason is a liberal liberal liberal campus. The students at GMU are very politically active especially since we are in campaign season, and the majority of them are on the left.

Do students in the dorms leave their doors open? Nope. It is so weird how you can live across the hall with someone and not even know their name. We are encouraged to get to know each other and hang out with other people that live on our floor but it seems like everyone is too busy to have time to try and make new friends.

We are sometimes lazy or perceived as lazy because we often do not take Friday classes but most students participate in internships and having Friday's off is great because it opens up more time for us to go to work. We are so liberal it's annoying! Almost the entire Mason community is liberal- everyone from faculty and staff to the students. It is frustrating for the small percentage of us who are moderate or conservative to live day to day with out leftist views being pushed at us from everyone.

Do your professors know your name? Overall the academics at George Mason rank pretty average. There are some professors that speak very little English, or if they do you can't understand them so it can be very frustrating but there are also professors at Mason that are awesome. George Mason has a unique college of integrative studies, called New Century College. It is a much smaller community at Mason that is very close. The professors in New Century College know who you are, what you like, what you dislike, and are often very nice people.

Joe

It is a large commuter based school, but also many out of state students. Out of state students are mostly from PA, NJ, New England area.

Many groups that are specific to race and ethnicity.

Because of commuters, campus may feel like a ghost town on the weekends

Depending on how much help you want, you can get it. Professors are more than willing to help you with industry connections, if you are willing to seek it.

Large Greek population, but they are unable to become more popular because of GMU and county restrictions. Large athletic population.

Rich and snobby or Arab/Persian

Kelly

I would change the Greek life here at GMU. I am an active member of Alpha Phi and I can honestly say that President Merten, as well as, all of mason does not recognize greek life because we do not have a greek row or are given the freedom like most other colleges that have greek life. Because the state of Virginia enforces that no more than 6 women in a househould is a brothel, women cannot have greek houses here. Which I believe is insane because thats why most people are attracted to greek life.

YES, Students definitly talk about what they will earn one day. Alot of my friends are alumni of GMU now, and they all speak about what they make. For those who are seniors at the moment, they also tell me what each other their fields typically make. And since I am becoming a teacher in the fairfax area, I know the salary that I will be making. But thats important to know if you are going into a field just for the money or for the experience.

that the student body is mainly comprised of Asians. GMU is only a commuter school and on the weekends the campus is completely empty.

Off campus I work. But along with that are malls, lots and lots of restaurants. And DC is only a half an hour away.

somewhat. However, I am very involved in greek life, so theres always something to do on the weekends.

The most unique class i took was EDUC 300. I want to become a teacher, so the class geared itself around giving examples and fun games on how to work with children in the classroom. It was very hands on and the teacher made it fun for us students who were learning to teach otehrs in the future.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.