Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Maria

Things I would change about GMU: As both a staff member, I find it ridiculous that we A. have to pay for parking and B. that school isn't either free for us or are allowed to give our family members our benefits if we aren't attending school. As a student, there is definitely not enough pride. Final four helped that out a little bit but that's it. George Mason is a great school and people should feel pride in being a part of it.

Mason is a very diverse school having students from all over the world and even though, you still seem to see every race hanging out with their own. It's great to be able to see all the diversity, but it would also be great to see some unity within these groups.

I wish parking wasn't so crazy. That they would actually pave the parking lots. I wish that salaries for those that worked on campus were higher than they are. School in other parts of the state that aren't in such high costing places make more that those that live in this are which is completely ridiculous. Food is another issue on this campus. The cafeteria is very mediocre.

That it isn't a real college because so many people are commuters that live in the surrounding areas.

I live off campus am married with a family. Not too much time for a social life.

Favorite class is Communication 389 with Professor Anderson. She is a wonderful professor who prides herself in trying to get the most out of her students. I wouldn't say all, but most of the classes I have taken have tried to make them geared toward helping us in the real world. Being so close to the city, I believe it gives students at GMU a great advantage over many other schools.

Erika

Unfortunately, there are many commuters or people who live on campus that go home for the weekend at GMU. Like everyone says college is what you make of it, usually you wont make friends with the people who go home all the time so you really don't need to worry about having no one to hang out with on the weekends. The friends you do make will be around.

That it is a commuter school :(

Kristin

"What college town?"--The city of Fairfax is definitely not a college town, if people want to hang out with each other they usually go to a house or maybe take a trip all the way to D.C. (if they have a car, because there's no where to park). On the weekends, Mason food closes up except for two places, because there are a lot of commuters. However, they don't realize the amount of students that still need to be fed and entertained. One thing going along with the food situation is that half the people that work at these places don't understand English as well as they should if they're trying to serve "fast food". Mason has some things going for it too though. It's not like James Madison where everyone looks the same and dresses the same, it's nice to look around and see people from all over the world mingling. The campus is beautiful and we're getting tons of new buildings. Also, the Patriot Center is right here and it has a lot of concerts, obviously basketball, the circus, and even a rodeo came. I'm glad I chose Mason over my first choice because I'm making the most of what I have here. I definitely reccommend Greek Life to all upcoming freshman, it's made Mason a lot more exciting.

George Mason is a great school if you're looking for a job in the D.C. Metro area. People can join clubs and learn about jobs or even teachers will reccommend certain interships. Speaking of classes, most are lectures but some classes have 20-30 people so someone can really get to know their professor and professors here definitely try to help out as much as they can.

The groups I'm in include, Students for Life, College Republicans and Alpha Phi. I am the Treasurer for Students for Life which is a club solely against abortion. We've had a few really good speakers come and talk about abortions, including a doctor who decided to stop doing them. College Republicans is one of the best clubs I've been in. Every meeting there's either a speaker or a discussion, and plus they go on two really nice trips to Republican conventions throughout the year. Lastly, joining Alpha Phi has been the best decision I've made Spring semester. I've met so many new people and got to know a lot of other people better by joining this sorority and doing philanthropy work with them. These girls are truly amazing and classy, and I know the next three years are going to be full of great experiences and hardwork.

People think it's really easy to get in to GMU and that maybe the students aren't as smart as though going to Virginia Tech or another popular school.

Gene

Parking sucks big time, but they swear it will get better once construction is finished. There are two computer labs, which is good because they fill up quickly during midterms and finals. I spend most of my time on campus in class, there really isn't much else to do. People are fianlly starting to recognize GMU as a legit school since basketball has blown up, but we still don't get enough respect.

Most students are respectful and nice, and the others never go to class anyway so they don't matter. There are tons of groups to join on campus, certainly one for everyone! Since Mason is such a laid back school most kids just rock whatever, but of course there are always brand whores around. As far as politics go I find most of my peers to be either uninformed or underinformed on most issues, and certainly most students and professors lean to the left on political issues.

I don't live on campus so I really don't know much about what goes on there for fun. I have met all of my friends through classes, and they are not all COMM majors. I think fraternities and sororities are really only important to the people in them, noone else cares.

Well everyone thinks of GMU as a commuter college for local kids who couldn't get into a real college.

Academics are varied. In any given class you may sit and listen to a professor drone on and on or be engaged in discussion. Intellectual conversation outside of class is not to common in my crown, but who knows right? There is very little competition at GMU, most students just try to get by without too much effort or thought. I have had some great professors and some i thought were not even qualified to teach me, once again its a varied academic environment.

Not really, GMU students are far more diverse than just NoVA dwellers.

Brittney

The most frequent student complaints are directed towards parking. Commutor and residences a like are agreeing that the construction on campus is causing unnessary problems, both with the campus' appearance and parking. Some even feel the construction is damaging their school "experience." And, I completely agree with them. I honestly do not understand why we need so many new buildings, but hey, they supposely know what they are doing.

I would say from the people I talk to most students are from Northern Virginia: Stafford, Fredericksburg, Fairfax, the list goes on. I mean I have students from other states; however, they are far and in between. To take this idea further, my roommate freshman year was not from another state or even another town. We did not know one another previously and we did random roommate selection; yet, I end up in na dorm with a girl from my hometown and went to my school rival high school. Also, I knew her sister. Do they not want us to interact with people unknown to us?

Last weekend, I went home due to an unexpected water outage in the "D.C area," as Housing told me on the phone friday morning. Also, it was full of homework so I did not exsactly go out and party.

I am not sure or any particular stereotypes of GMU students. However, I did hear a young man say my junior of high school that George Mason was the only high school of Virginia; basically implying that everyone went there and it was not somewhere he wanted to go to school.

I feel GMU's academic requirements are not benefical to the students in context with their major. For instance, my general university requirements are roughly 40 credits and on top of that I have other general requirements within the english department. Not to say I do not enjoy some of the classes, I just feel I could work on other subjects to understand my major at a better level. I mean techniquely I am taking 4 core classes that apply to my major. I think that is not exsactly something you would expect from your university, but yet our university is known to "go a step beyond." Beyond what? A basic education? All I know is, I would prefer to have more english classes that applied to my major.

I found that I do run into a lot of kids I knew from high school. So yes, I think that statement was a pretty accurate, but I do not see them every day so it is not that typical high school interaction that he was referencing.

Caroline

School pride, especially with the basketball team is amazing! Events that are held on campus bring more pride and get people involved in organizations. Most of the events offer giveaways, prizes, and free food. Although Mason is not a typical college town across the street is a shopping center with a grocery store, movie theater (with student discount), restaurants (most take Mason Money), and bars. Fairfax City also offers shops, restaurants, bars, and local live music venues. The campus does feel like one big construction site and is growing faster and larger than most people want. The parking is the biggest problem we have, but the school does provide free transportation around Fairfax City and to the Metro.

Being so close to D.C. Mason has a lot of diversity. There are some many different backgrouds and organizations for all of them. Because of the location and the commuter aspect there are a lof of upper-middle class backgrounds, which can come across as pretentious. The campus is very active in politics, again because of the location. All political views are represented though clubs. The school (although more liberal) has a fair amount of student support from all sides. Since Mason has a larger commuter population this isn't a campus where you find students wearing their PJ's around. Some students work during the day and will come to class wearing business attire.

The parking situations at Mason is a challenge, especially when Ringling Brothers comes and parjs their trailers in the student lot. If you live in Liberty Square or Potomac Heights you have a gated parking lot. The food has improved so much over the last few years. The main dinning hall has a new menu will more variety. The food court in the Johnson Center has a good variety of ethic foods, as well has typical American food and cafe/coffe bar. The Damon's on campus now has a liquor license so students 21/+ can buy drinks without having to worry about drinking and driving.

At George Mason if you have any kind of interests there is a club for you. If there isn't a club make one, it's easy if you can find others to join. The organizations range from academic to religious to interest groups. Greek life at Mason is not like many schools. There is no greek row or any greek housing. Fraternities and sororities hav events, but only get time to shine one week out of the year (Greek Week). Mason basketball is biggest athletic event students attend. It usually gets packed and special games, like Homecoming, are often sold out and packed. If football is your sport you won't really find it at Mason. The football team is a club sport with little support. The school newspaper, the Broadside, sponsors "Game of the Week" where they give free promotional items to the first 20 or so students that come. Ike's is were you will end up when you are hungry on a late night. It's a diner on campus that is only open late. It serves up greasey dinner and breakfast most nights until 3am.

During general ed requirements you will most likely be in large lecture classes where you are just a number. Once you get into your major you will get to know the professors personally. Most of the classes become more discussion based and part of your grade will be participation. Mason has a lot of adjunct professors who work part-time or only stay for a few years. Getting to know your professors will help you to get internships and jobs after graduation. Most of them are helpful and take time to get to know their students.

Erin

GMU is a good size school during the week, but when the weekend comes you wonder if anyone is actually living on campus with you. Everyone leaves on the weekends and there isn't much to do on campus. Lots of people from outside the area have never heard of GMU or only know about it because of our basketball team. Campus is centered around the JC or Johnson Center and that's where I spend most of my time if I'm not in the field house for Lacrosse or in my dorm. There isn't much school pride, most likely because we don't have a football team and because we don't know what our mascot actually is. Campus is very pretty though and everything is quite new here so those amentities are very nice. You have to make your own fun and DC is only 25 minutes away. There are a lot of good restaurants in the area. Also all parties are off campus because of strict security on campus with drinking.

There are a good number of clubs to join on campus and sports are a big deal. There are a wide variety of students here and so some show up dressed up to class and others in sweats. It's the person's preference and no one is looked at funny for their clothing choice. Most GMU students are from Maryland and Virginia. Most come from middle class backgrounds and there are a good number who are politically aware especially with DC around the corner and Bill Clinton actually came to speak in the JC this year.

Parking services are terrible, campus beautiful, facilities all new, sports teams great, good education, no football team, still a very big commuter school so not many people here on the weekends!

Yes, no one here on the weekends and you will see a wide variety of races represented, but only during the week.

Sororities and Fraternities are definately present on campus though there are no sorority houses and the frat houses are off campus. If you don't participate it's not a big deal and it's not all that many students that are involved. Sports are a big deal. I play lacrosse and all the athletes are friends with each other and support each other at games. Basketball is our main sport that most students support since we don't have a football team which is frustrating and causes lack of school spirit. Some students leave their doors open while others choose not to. Depends on the student, I'd say it's half and half. A good number of people utilize the free theater on campus too. The dating scene is just as it is everywhere, nothing special. People party on the weekends. Not much to do on week nights and everything that happens party wise is off campus which means you need a driver and this is frustrating. Not much to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve going to a party, if there is one.

Academics are good here. The student teacher ratio is very good and you know your professors and they know you. Classes aren't terribly hard and if you do the work you should do well. Studying depends on the student. Some study a lot in the JC or in the rooms and others don't. Most classes call for participation and are part of your grade so it's common. There are a wide variety of classes offered here and students aren't competitive against each other. I think there are also a lot of job/intern opportunities for GMU students with DC around the corner and for a lot of classes going to a DC museum is common.

extrememly diverse campus commuter school

Bill

Size is just right. People react respectful when I tell them i go to GMU. Spend most my time in JC or Dorms. Not nessararly a "college towm". No controversy this year. Administration can be strict at times. A lot of school pride. Nothing unusual. Always remeber getting caught with to many people in my room. Biggest compliant is the drinking policy.

Its a real diverse campus. students wear anythign from sweats to suits to class. all types of students interact. Athletes, frats, sororiety, random. most students are from VA or NJ

Professor know ur name for the most part. favorite class is comm 101. least favorite univ 100. participation is sometimes common. outside conversation, yes. students are competitive. i dont spend time with prof. outside class. most unique class is comm 101.requirments seems respectable. toward gettina job.

Frats and sororietys. Im involved in wrestling. Dorms are left opens sometimes. closet friend was my suit mate freshman yr. Basketball is big, and so are concerts. People party every weekend. last weekend i got drunk. frat and soror are big. off campus i party.

Andy

The administration is helpful but plagued by bureaucratic tendencies.

The administration is helpful but plagued by bureaucratic tendencies.

The student body is really diverse and makes quite a big deal of the fact. Most of the students talk about how much money they earn but also most don't seem to want to leave the area.

There is a healthy academic life here but not much else. There is a lack of overall generally enthusiasm for most events except for basketball.

The academics are superb. The education here is a DC school education at half the cost. The class sizes vary but usually within the upper classes the teachers do know your names and are helpful with academics or any other thing that comes up.

For the most part. There are a few clubs on campus but nothing really beyond ethnic based clubs and greek organizations. An overwhelming number of students are from Virginia and over half of the student population are commuters.

That they are all commuters from the local area in Northern Virginia. Another is that there is no campus social life.

The best thing about GMU is its location. One thing i would change is that there isn't much parking. The size is just right, it would be nice if more people lived on campus. When i tell people i go to GMU, they immediately talk about basketball. Most of my time on campus is spent in my dorm and the JC. There is not a lot of school pride, i think it is because we don't have a football team. The most student complaints is that there is not enough parking and not enough food places on campus.

There isn't a specific person that would feel out of place because there is so much diversity. Most students wear jeans to class. Most GMu students are from Virginia, and i have also met alot from New Jersey and Philly. Students don't discuss how much they'll earn. The dining hall's are okay, the salad bars are good.

Some professors know my name depending on the size of the class. My favorite class is Dance Appreciation. My least favorite is economics. Students time spent studying varies, when a test is near, the more serious it is.GMU's academic requirements are competitive because of the increase in number of students applying.

The most popular team on campus is basketball. I was involved in club volleyball, it was interesting but their wasn't that many girls who stayed comitted. Students in the dorms normally don't leave their doors open. However, i think that type of atmostphere would be a lot more exciting. Athletic events are semi- popular, depending on the sport. I met my closest friends from class and my dorm. If i am awake on a Tuesday night i am probably on the internet. Mason Day happens each year, as long as different activities for the basketball team. There are a number of things to do off campus because of the location.

-commuter school -Students are really diverse

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.