Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Harper

The best thing about GMU is being close to DC. One thing I'd change would the parking lots..they get really overcrowded and the parking permits are expensive. But then again..so are all colleges. Mason is a good size..it has a huge student population but a smaller population living on campus which makes it more likely for you to see people you know daily. I spend most of my time on campus in the Johnson Center..the mall like designed center of campus where there's libraries, computers, and food. Fairfax isn't really a college town. School pride is growing..everyone loves the basketball team.

Mason's student body is very diverse and everyone seems to be accepting.

The professors at Mason are all pretty cool. I work 30 hours a week and am taking 18 units and, although I stay busy, I'm surviving. The psychology department is awesome and gives its students great opportunities for internships and employment. The English department is also excellent, in particular the Creative Writing program (which is one of the top 10 graduate programs in the US.) All of the academic requirements are reasonable.

No, half of the school lives on campus and a majority of the rest are students who previously lived on campus and moved off with roommates. There are plenty of things to do on and off campus within student life, all you gotta do is look around. Mason's not a party campus, but there are parties going on.

IF you really want to get in with campus life, I would say join a fraternity or sorority. Although this is not the only way to get involved, it's definitely one of the big ones at Mason. In the dorms, everyone left their doors open and almost everyone on our floor was friends. I now live with 4 of the girls I lived with on campus, off campus. Basketball games are huge, everyone loves them. People party thursday-sundays. If you don't want to drink, you can always go to a concert or head into DC/Georgetown to a comedy club. There are a lot of restaurants and movie theaters in Fairfax Corner or Fair Oaks area. Last weekend, I went to a club in DC Thursday night, went out to dinner at Outback on Friday night, and hung out with the roomies Saturday.

Everyone assumes GMU students are commuters and that there isn't a lot of student life. A lot of people think that there's nothing fun to do at Mason, but it's because they don't look for it.

Ellie

Mason is in a dynamic period, with a lot of rapid change. Some of it is positive, and some of it brings growing pains. On the good end, the administration has finally begun to figure out that we're not all commuters, and to actually have food and activities available on campus on the weekends. With our final four run in 2006 and our 2008 CAA championship, GMU has started to be better-recognized. I get fewer "George Mason? Where's that?" questions when I tell people where I attend now. After those basketball victories, applications flooded in as never before. The academic standards for incoming students were raised, and our ever-increasing student body demanded more on-campus housing. Which leads to the sad changes: when I first came here, much of the campus was forest, and wildlife was common--deer, racoons, foxes, all kinds of woodland creatures. Now many of those forests I loved have been chopped down to make room for a lot of new dorms and apartment-style living. There did not used to be a lot of school pride here, and it's still not the most enthusiastic group of students, although the recent basketball victories helped to change that too. My freshman year, I thought school pride was a myth. During our Final Four run, it was amazing how much different the campus dynamic felt. The campus never quite fully returned to its apathetic state, and the atmosphere again became electric when we were the CAA champions this year as well.

Since Mason is so diverse, it's pretty much expected that you'll have a broad range of races, ethnicities, religions, etc. in your classes. I've experienced a little religious tension when a Christian group I was active in had real trouble trying to reserve campus rooms for meetings and Bible Studies, when other groups seemed to have no problem. The only widespread ethnic/racial/religious tension I've heard about on campus has been in regard to the "meditation space" in the JC, which basically is the place where Mason's Muslim students go to pray when they're on campus. The "meditation space" is supposed to be open to all students, but it's pretty much understood that it's the place for Muslim students. I've heard of them kicking out other worshipers when it came time for their prayers.

A lot of people think of Mason as a small commuter school. We're known for our diversity.

Most professors seem to know our names and care about their students. Of course, there's always that adjunct guy who just comes in to teach a few math classes to pay his nice car off and doesn't care about his students, but not all adjuncts are bad. Ironically, some of the best teachers I've had have been adjunct. The music department has some professors who play in the National Symphony Orchestra and various military bands from the DC area. The communication department has had professionals from all kinds of backgrounds who come in to teach. While they may not be the most academic of professors, they certainly have real-life experience that they can share with us! I've heard from some professors that students at Mason are somewhat less participative during class than at some other schools. I've definitely been in situations that felt like I was either the only one in the class who knew the answer to the professor's questions, or at least the only one who really cared to answer. I wouldn't consider Mason a really "intellectual" place. But learning does take place, and it is in a really great location for internships and jobs in DC.

Fairfax is certainly not a "college town," but that's hardly an issue since you can hop on the metro or on I-66 and get to DC in a half hour. A lot of people party at clubs in DC. It's also great to be able to spend the day at the Smithsonian, the National Gallery of Art, the Kennedy Center, the National Mall. Mason is not as open a community as some other campuses I've visited. The dorm culture really depends on the dorm, but in my experience, most doors are closed. The Northern Virginia culture seems to exude "I'll do my thing and you can do yours, and we'll leave each other alone unless we have a reason to interact." Nevertheless, the people you have in your classes/group projects are mostly very nice and cooperative.

Mason is becoming less and less of a commuter school.

Laura

College town, or "what college town?" Mason is located in Fairfax, VA which is a very large city in Northern Virginia. It is not your average college town because we are so close to everything. There are both good and bad sides to living in Northern Virginia. For example, a great thing is the access to Washington, D.C. which leads us to great internships and job possibilities for the future. The negative thing about being in Fairfax is that we as Mason students don't have the typical college experience of living in a small town, getting away with having parties, etc because George Mason conveniently uses the police service of Fairfax county so they are not as lenient as a smaller town.

Are students politically aware/active? Are they predominantly left, right or center? Mason is a liberal liberal liberal campus. The students at GMU are very politically active especially since we are in campaign season, and the majority of them are on the left.

Do students in the dorms leave their doors open? Nope. It is so weird how you can live across the hall with someone and not even know their name. We are encouraged to get to know each other and hang out with other people that live on our floor but it seems like everyone is too busy to have time to try and make new friends.

We are sometimes lazy or perceived as lazy because we often do not take Friday classes but most students participate in internships and having Friday's off is great because it opens up more time for us to go to work. We are so liberal it's annoying! Almost the entire Mason community is liberal- everyone from faculty and staff to the students. It is frustrating for the small percentage of us who are moderate or conservative to live day to day with out leftist views being pushed at us from everyone.

Do your professors know your name? Overall the academics at George Mason rank pretty average. There are some professors that speak very little English, or if they do you can't understand them so it can be very frustrating but there are also professors at Mason that are awesome. George Mason has a unique college of integrative studies, called New Century College. It is a much smaller community at Mason that is very close. The professors in New Century College know who you are, what you like, what you dislike, and are often very nice people.

Joe

It is a large commuter based school, but also many out of state students. Out of state students are mostly from PA, NJ, New England area.

Many groups that are specific to race and ethnicity.

Because of commuters, campus may feel like a ghost town on the weekends

Depending on how much help you want, you can get it. Professors are more than willing to help you with industry connections, if you are willing to seek it.

Large Greek population, but they are unable to become more popular because of GMU and county restrictions. Large athletic population.

Rich and snobby or Arab/Persian

Kelly

I would change the Greek life here at GMU. I am an active member of Alpha Phi and I can honestly say that President Merten, as well as, all of mason does not recognize greek life because we do not have a greek row or are given the freedom like most other colleges that have greek life. Because the state of Virginia enforces that no more than 6 women in a househould is a brothel, women cannot have greek houses here. Which I believe is insane because thats why most people are attracted to greek life.

YES, Students definitly talk about what they will earn one day. Alot of my friends are alumni of GMU now, and they all speak about what they make. For those who are seniors at the moment, they also tell me what each other their fields typically make. And since I am becoming a teacher in the fairfax area, I know the salary that I will be making. But thats important to know if you are going into a field just for the money or for the experience.

that the student body is mainly comprised of Asians. GMU is only a commuter school and on the weekends the campus is completely empty.

Off campus I work. But along with that are malls, lots and lots of restaurants. And DC is only a half an hour away.

somewhat. However, I am very involved in greek life, so theres always something to do on the weekends.

The most unique class i took was EDUC 300. I want to become a teacher, so the class geared itself around giving examples and fun games on how to work with children in the classroom. It was very hands on and the teacher made it fun for us students who were learning to teach otehrs in the future.

Patricia

I love the size of the university and not knowing every single I walk by on campus. It really helps you extend your social network and reach out to people you may not have normally reached out to in a small school. Also, this university actually offers a lot of fun events for its' students at no cost which is really good for those who are running low on cash but still want to do something. Most of the time, when I tell people I go to this university, I don't really get a reaction. A lot of people still don't know about this school. However, I'm still glad I chose this school. For the most part, the professors are helpful and makes themselves really available to its' students. Also, you really do get to meet people from everywhere.

For the most part, people keep themselves pretty open-minded on campus. I have had people throw out racial insults at me every once in awhile when I pass them but you'll find that sort of ignorance anywhere. I doubt diversity programs will do much to sway anyone's opinion, especially at our age.

The Greek life is very much a huge presence on campus but you don't necessarily have to be part of those to enjoy their events and parties. This university holds so many different programs and events every week to ensure that we have something to entertain us on the weekends. GMU does a good job in trying to keep the student body active in their social lives.

Most of the professors are good about making themselves available to students if the students needed help. However, some of the course requirements don't make sense to me. I understand the general requirements are there to help us have as broad of an education as possible. However, I'm a Communications major and wonder why I have to take courses such as Free Speech and Ethics. The whole course feels more like pre-law than it does a Communications course. There are other courses that make me feel this way and I think you will find the same concerns in the other departments as well.

Because the standards to get into the university were much lower a couple years ago, many people assume college isn't as hard for us as it is for them.

Andy

The best thing about GMU is how they put all the freshman in one area together. I lived in the Park and I had the best time of my life, that was my favorite year by far. You really get to know a lot of people in your class and it helps you to meet people. I would change how much they charge for parking on campus and for how many parking tickets they give out! I would also change where people are allowed to smoke on campus because I always hated walking out of the JC into a huge cloud of smoke, very gross and annoying. The school is getting to be too large for how much space they have. When I tell people I went to GMU, they now know what school I'm talking about since we went to the final four! When I was on campus I spent most of my time in the JC, and other than that, I spent most of my time in the dorms. GMU/fairfax is not a college town at all, that is one major downfall of going here. You don't have as much school spirit coming from the community as you do at other schools. I think GMU's administration is great, I really liked my professors in my Major (Tourism and Events Management). I think there is more school pride now after making the Final Four and then doing pretty well this year. The most frequent student complaints are parking and lack of food choices on campus.

I learned a lot about different religions and races during my time at GMU. I don't think any kind of student would feel out of place at GMU b/c this campus is sooo diverse. Students wear jeans and shirts to class, depends on the person. Yes different students interact but students of the same race also tended to join together, except when they were in Frats or Sororities because then they had to mix. You could tell that many students that went to Mason have money, or came from families that have money. Yes students are politically aware and active. Predominantly Democratic. Students talk about how much they dream to earn one day.

Sororities and Fraternities are popular to join, also political groups. I was involved with Alpha Phi Sorority. Freshman year students leave their doors open, but as you get into upper class dorms they don't. Athletic events are becoming more popular as we are getting better at sports. Theater is sort of popular. The dating scene is not the best. I met my closest friends freshman year because we all lived on the same floor. People party a lot at Mason even though people do not think Mason is a party school. Fraternities and Sororities are very important especially freshman year b/c freshman wouldn't have any parties to go to if there weren't Greek life, it's also a great way to meet people and make friends. Last weekend I went home for Easter. On a Sat night I can stay in and have a movie night with my roommates or go bowling or something like that, which doesn't have to involve drinking.

In my core classes all my professors knew my name. My favorite class was wedding planning and Meetings & Conventions class. My least favorite was Bio and Stat 250. My major/department is small which makes it nice because all the teachers know your name and come up and talk to you, are interested in your life and how you are liking your classes. My professors were very friendly. I think students study all the time, I know I did. Class participation is very common. GMU students do have intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. GMU's academic requirements are good. I did spend time with my professors outside of the class and had a great time, its nice to get to know them on a more personal level. My major was geared toward getting a job as I got into higher level classes.

Yes and no. Many people do commute but every year all my roommates were out-of-state students, so that shows that there are many students that come from different areas.

The best thing about GMU is the area for sure! I would change the fact that they are completely unprepared for the growth they encouraged. I think the size is great!!! People are almost always impressed when I tell them where I went to school! I think it's great that being a part of the final 4 two years ago really put us on the map:) When I went there, I spent a lot of time in the JC and my dorm. What college town? I think the administration needs some work. Parking and housing are huge complaints and Mason administration really needs to expedite work on these things or they're gonna find their admission numbers dropping.A

I didn't have any particularly exciting experiences other than being judged for being conservative. I would definitely say a good portion of the student body is liberal and left. The area in which the university is located probably has the largest effect on this. A lot of students at Mason come from affluent families, once again something prevalent in the area. I think there is a good portion of students that are politically aware/active! It is one of the things that made me proud to be a student there as I find pro activity to be particularly important.

*Commuter School *Too diverse *The university caters to certain cultures and religions more than others. *There are a lot of old people that attend the school. *People who work at the school need to learn to communicate in English. *The university does not always appropriate funds in the ways it should. *There is not enough emphasis put on student organizations and interests.

Fraternities and Sororities, Student Government, and religious organizations seem to dominate activity groups at Mason. I am a member of Gamma Phi Beta. I joined 1st semester freshman year and am still active as an alum. It is a lifetime commitment I made, and one I continue to be very enthusiastic about!!!I met many of my best friends during my collegiate years as a Gamma Phi!!! I am obviously biased in saying sororities and fraternities are very important:) Athletic events definitely gained popularity as my years as Mason passed.

I would say a lot of professors in my department knew my name when I was there. My favorite class was rhetorical criticism. Every student studies differently. I spent time with both Professor Dickerson and Professor Rowan outside of the classroom. I think the academic requirements are fair and helpful. You get out of an education what you put into it, just like anything in life.

I believe some of them definitely are and some of them definitely are not. The number one stereotype I believe is true is that there is not enough emphasis put on student organizations and interests. I have heard that Merten wanted to make the school an "ivy league university". But it's NOT one and shouldn't be molded into one. The student body needs to be allowed to mold the university into what THEY want it to be. That's when success will be attained.

Laura

Mason is huge and very diverse. I love the diversity in ethnicities and cultures, but I hate how they dismiss "the majority". White people are sometimes treated like second class in an attempt to overly please minorities. Christians are completely overlooked and often criticized altogether.

I'm a commuter, so I see everything as an observer.

From my experiences, I think they describe about half of the student population.

The Communication department is fabulous. The professors know your name, they want you to succeed, and they have the connections for successful job placement.

Mason students are either rich brats riding through school on their parents money, or they are hard working penny pinchers that desire a great education but can't afford to go anywhere else.

Pat

People think we are a dead campus on weekend because outsiders think we all go home.

Not at all. I have more fun on weekend than i do during the week, and probably see more people on the weekend than i do anytime during the week.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.