Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Emma

The best thing about GMU is the laid back people. It isn't a huge party school but there is always something going on if you want to party. Theres a good balance of hard work and fun. If I could change one thing about GMU, it would be the parking! Since so many people live off campus, the parking lots fill up and if you have class anytime after 10:30am, you need to get on campus at LEAST 45 minutes before your class starts to try and find a spot somewhere. The school is the perfect size, because although it is one of the biggest schools in VA, once you make friends and meet people it becomes so much smaller because you see people you know all the time. When I tell people I go to GMU, they are impressed because it is becoming a more known school and not just because of our basketball team -- we are putting ourselves on the academic map. I spend most of my time in the JC when I'm on campus because all the best food is there, the bookstore, as well as a lot of places to study. The administration for the most part is amazing, and I have only had a few professors I thought were sub-par. The biggest recent controversy on campus was either the protesters who come every now and then and hate on almost any type of person you can find on campus (race, religion, sex, etc.) or the suicide that happened about a year ago in the Johnson Center. There is a lot of school pride, and we have a large and active greek life so its hard to meet someone who isn't always wearing either a GMU t-shirt or letters. One thing unusual about GMU is that we have an underwater hockey team. One experience I will always remember is when Barack Obama and Bill Clinton came to speak at the JC. The most complaints from students that I have heard is about parking.

Some people think that since GMU has been known as a commuter school in the past that the campus is dead on the weekends.

Depending on your class size, professors try their hardest to get to know their students. Alot of professors who teach larger classes even try to get to know their students. My favorite class so far has been my PR class with Professor Rowan. She is the most cheerful and most helpful professor I've had so far and she really wants to take care of her students, in and outside of class. My least favorite class was IT 103! I just don't get computers. Students tend to study a good amount. Class participation is common with certain students in every class. Some people prefer not to speak at all and let others do most of the talking. My major is communications and so far I love the department. I know a lot of students who have graduated from this department have gone far in the Communication world and I plan to be one of them, thanks to the great staff and classes I have and will take at Mason.

This used to be the case but since they have built the new student apartments and dorms there are a lot more people on campus at all times, not just during school hours.

Fran

The size is just right, there's nothing good about the school, the place is boring, the administration's not the best, and what college town?

My favorite classes were religion, geology, and geography because the teachers were abosolutely amazing! My least favorite class was history because the teacher was horrible.

Leah

Because I'm from California, I constantly get asked, "Why'd you pick MASON?". My short answer is that I like the area, I needed to be in a good music program, and I'm comfortable far away from home. Now that I'm here, I can say that it is definitely my place, and the people make it. I feel that many people come to the state school for financial reasons, which makes it a big commuter school. Because some people do not have many options for college, I feel that Mason students are more humble than those at a school with a much higher tuition. Mason is also extremely diverse - walking between classes it's impossible not to hear another language. It's more real-world, different from the 90% white sheltered suburbs I grew up in. Mason is also home to the Patriot Center and the Center for the Arts, two huge venues for Northern Virginia. Concerts, performances and speakers come through Mason and we often get free tickets. Many people on the west coast have only heard of Mason's basketball team (woohoo!), if that. I was originally reluctant to go to a school that didn't have a big name, but I got over that quickly. Everyone in the area knows Mason and it's a great place to be. Like at many colleges, people sport Mason clothing and paraphanalia all the time. I imagine that since the Final Four, Mason's school pride has skyrocketed. School pride is most obvious in the Patriot Center for men's basketball games. Students go all out with facepaint, signs, and anything else green and gold. It's difficult to say what I would change about Mason because I've accepted it and I love it. I think I would add more practice rooms in the Performing Arts Building and a new rehearsal hall...Oh and I would improve the food. Mason's not known for it's food, but it is improving.

Racial, religious and LGBT groups are very prominent on campus. Many people express their ties to one group or another but do so considerately. Because Mason is so diverse, different types of students interact all the time, it's practically impossible not to. Unlike high school, where I found ethnic groups to be relatively exclusive, everyone here can hang out with anyone else. Essentially, the combination of people maturing in college and the extreme diversity of this campus allows comfortable interactions with anyone. Student wear anything and everything to class. Jeans, skirts, sweatpants, T-shirts, sweaters, button down shirts, sometimes suits if they're involved in something important around the same time. Many people feel comfortable expressing their religious beliefs in their clothing as well. These include Muslim hijabs and Catholic Campus Ministry sweatshirts, for example. There are four tables in the Johnson Center, the main food court on campus. Maybe two are filled with a bunch of people associated with the same group, whether it be a fraternity, sorority, or music students. Another table may have someone eating and working on their computer, and the last may have a couple friends talking and eating before class. Students are politically aware and active. Many students attend Mason because of its proximity to DC and thereby its proximity to politics. I know many Government and International Politics majors, International Relation majors, and people whose dream is to work in the CIA or the State Department.

1. There's nothing to do 2. Parties, if there are parties, are lame 3. Nobody's here on weekends 4. People use it as a "stepping stone" school

The most popular groups on campus are probably those that have to do with religion, fraternities/sororities, or politics. I am involved with the Pep Band and I love being able to be a part of the energy that hypes up basketball games. The best part is that people who aren't necessarily involved with music in college can still participate. There are students who played half-heartedly in high school, as well as amplified strings, a crazy rhythm section and excellent musicians in the brass and woodwinds. Everyone is welcome. Athletic events are popular if it's men's basketball. Aside from that, I don't believe there is much of a turnout. Guest speakers, especially if they're politically affiliated, are very popular. I met my closest friends through my freshman dorm, the music department, Honors classes and through other friends. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am finishing a paper. I try to avoid those nights. Mason Day (in April) is a yearly tradition. Bands come and play in a parking lot, there's free food and other games. Homecoming is also big at Mason. In February there's a week devoted to a certain theme (this year it was "Mason Rocks") and there are activities and events planned throughout the week. It ends with Saturday night's basketball game. Last weekend I went out dancing for one of my friend's birthdays. We went to Fur in DC and had a good time. I also worked on homework, spent the night with my boyfriend, and went to the gym. On a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, people can watch movies, play games (like Cranium, it's one of my favorites), go clubbing or see a show in DC or attend an event on campus (like a concert). Off campus, I like to get food, go to the mall, go into DC for any reason whatsoever, and go clubbing or dancing.

I am in the Honors Progam for General Education and in the Music Department. Teachers in the Honors Program know my name because we have classes under 25 and they are very approachable. If we have a paper or a project we often have to meet with them one on one to discuss it. Participation in class discussion also makes it easy for teachers to learn our names. In the music department, everyone knows everyone, and the ensemble directors know everybody's name. Musicians here at Mason are very personable and welcoming. Classes for my psychology major are the biggest classes I have. I think my largest class was 80 people, and not everyone showed up all the time. In no class did I feel uncomfortable participating or asking to meet with the teacher. I have intellectual conversations with other students outside of class. I think academically, your typical GMU student is more laid back than a student at an ivy league; however, there are plenty of opportunities to become involved and challenge yourself academically. I think people have more of a choice here. GMU is geared towards both getting a job and learning for its own sake. Internships are everywhere and Career Services will aid anyone in getting a job. The Honors Program is definitely geared towards learning for the sake of learning. Instead of a huge and broad general education class, the Honors program is more specific and addresses things that most people have never thought of.

1. No. There is always something to do, you just have to put yourself out there and do them. It may take a little more effort than in other schools, but the people here are friendly and very inclusive. Get involved! 2. Again, I'm afraid people expect everything to be done for them. Parties happen, but if they're on campus they're more like get-togethers because Mason cops are very strict. If you're loud on campus it's a recipe for cops. On the other hand, there are parties at houses off campus that are popular. 3. I think about half of Mason students commute, so campus is not as busy on weekends as during the week. That said, I enjoy the break from the business of the week. I like the tranquility. Moreover, it's easier to get closer to people on campus because they're in your same situation. 4. I think Mason can be classified as a "stepping stone" school, but not in a negative way. Mason is a firm institution and will give you a very good undergraduate foundation. As college graduates attend grad school more and more, I really think that Mason prepares its students for a more specific career in grad school.

Francis

The best thing about GMU is the student organizations, there are so many. I really like the diversity and the opportunities to meet different types of people. I spend most of my time on campus at the Johnson Center, Aquatic Center, and the Field house. I enjoy playing basketball and working out but I am very disappointed in George Mason's recreational facilities. GMU fails to accommodate it's paying students when they close down the very few basketball courts they have. Maybe it reflects the few students who live on campus, and I am hoping for the construction of more facilities. Mason parking is also very inconvenient, I feel this way and I live on campus. I don't look for parking everyday, but I can see and hear all the complications that come with Mason parking. Most of my needs derive from the fact that I live on campus, and end up comparing Mason to the other universities that house a lot of students.

At the Johnson Center, I feel the sorting of ethnicity is most evident. It's clear to see that there are groups of students who hang out at the Johnson Center but are usually of the same race. I don't suggest any solutions to it, or any causes of it. Sometimes I feel it's just the way things are.

It's a commuter school, doesn't really have an on campus life, therefore doesn't really give the real university feeling. Indeed GMU is a very diverse college, but it remains real diverse in the sense that "cliques" and groups are sorted by ethnicity.

I am not disappointed in Mason academics at all. There is a great studying environment at the Johnson Center. I hope the trend continues with any future buildings that mason has planned. I am quite satisfied with Mason academics, but at the same time hope that it only continues to get better.

I believe these stereotypes can prove accurate at most times. There are exceptions, but these stereotypes are pretty evident. The stereotype against the university is slowly changing, but I am not really sure in what direction Mason is headed.

Jesse

Best thing: our Economics school Change: Abolish the Office of Diversity Programs and Services The school is too small physically for its large student body Reaction: Disappointment Most of my time is spent in the Johnson Center "what college town?" George Mason's administration is stunningly incompetent The biggest recent controversy was over the Muslim Students Association's total control over the Meditation Room which became national news. There is a fair amount of school pride. There is nothing particularly unusual about GMU. The most frequent complaints are about harassment from the MSA and a lack of parking spots.

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? Pride Alliance is small but active and is fairly well accepted by non-members. There are a lot of Christian groups but most are too afraid to do anything particularly public. What kind of student would feel out of place at GMU? No one What do most students wear to class? Clothes Do different types of students interact? No Where are most GMU students from? All around the world What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? Varies greatly Are students politically aware/active? No Are they predominantly left, right or center? Left Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? No

Do professors know your name? Most Tell us about your favorite class. Arabic is by far the most educational classs I've taken. Least favorite? Fundamentals of Music - fine art credit, very boring How often do students study? Few hours a week. Is class participation common? No Do GMU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? No Are students competitive? No What's the most unique class you've taken? Counter-insurgency Tell us about your major/department. Do you spend time with professors outside of class? Nope. How do you feel about GMU 's academic requirements? The requirements are idiotic. Students have to take two years of classes that have nothing to do with their major. Is the education at GMU geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake? The education is not geared towards anything in particular, getting a job or otherwise.

Commuter school International school

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? The most popular groups are the Filipino Cultural Association, the Muslim Students Association, and "The Gathering". Tell us about a group you’re involved with. I am involved in Students for Life, College Republicans, College Democrats, Indian Students Association, Israel Club, Jewish Students Association, Sikh Students Association and a number of other groups. Do students in dorms leave their doors open? They automatically close and lock How popular are athletic events? Guest speakers? Theater? Athletic events are fairly well attended. Non-athletic events are not attended. If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Working What traditions/events happen each year? International Day What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? Studying What do you do off campus? Work

Kelly

I love my professors at GMU. There are a few that I have had that have actually made me switch majors...some because they have inspired me, some because they have scared me away from majoring in something else. (Ex: no longer majoring in nursing because of the A&P teachers, majoring in English because of some rocking Professors that truly inspire). I think that GMU is just right in size, any bigger and the school would be too big. I wish that there was more school pride. I think that going to the final four a couple years ago really opened the door to GMU and how we are a competitive school, a school that should be taken seriously. I spend most of my time on campus in the classrooms. I don't really stay to hang out or anything, unless I am meeting people for a group project. GMU is not in a college town- it's Northern VA. Enough said. I'll always remember my English professors at GMU. Great group of people- probably don't get the great amount of respect that they deserve. The BIGGEST student complaint at GMU is the language requirement. Who the f*ck wants to take 4 semesters of a foreign language, especially since most of us have taken 3 or 4 years of it already in high school?! It's outdated, unnecessary, and no one really has an interest in it. If they do have an interest, than they major in it. I think that 2 semesters of a language requirement is sufficient. Any more than that, and you want to commit educational suicide (do I really need this degree?).

I don't think that any student would feel out of place at GMU. It is so diverse, that there is a group for every body. The only group that drives me crazy are the sororities. So many of them think that they are above everybody else. I wish that there were more "down to earth" sororities. (like for stay-at-home moms that are also students, like me!)

No, not at all! I work really hard to balance everything in my life. Even when I was single, I still worked part time while going to school, and almost every GMU student that I know has a part time job or does some kind of volunteering. I just don't think that people are appreciative of the education that they are getting at GMU because most people are commuters- there is no romanticism involved in off-campus life like there is, say, down at VA Tech or UVA.

Some professors in my major know my name. Others could care less (those are often found in other departments, though). I hate spanish class. I hate the language requirement. GMU students study a lot- especially if they want a decent grade.

That it's an easy school to get into; that the students don't work really hard in their studies or that it's an easy ride for education.

Morgan

What's the best thing about GMU? it's close to home Name one thing you'd change. the parking situation Is your school too large, too small, or just right? the campus is small/ medium How do people react when you tell them you go to GMU? "oh, that's a good school...<insert something about the final four here>" Where do you spend most of your time on campus? JC baby College town, or "what college town?" "what college town" What's your opinion of GMU's administration? whatev, depends on who you are dealing with a guess What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? haven't really cared to take notice Is there a lot of school pride? i don't think so, compared to other schools that is. Is there anything unusual about GMU? not that i can think of, besides the fact that a lot of the ppl i meet are from very diverse backgrounds and speak more than one language- interesting What's one experience you'll always remember? "borrowing" trays from the JC in the middle of the night when it snowed and sliding down the hill by david king hall before they put in sideways and rails What are the most frequent student complaints? parking sucks!!

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? i think a lot of guys are rude- some cultures have never heard that a guy could actually hold a door open for a lady...oh and there are always those girls who are all about the bling and the uggs that have to talk all throughout a class with each other cause they can't wait half an hour...other than that it's common to see that a lot of ppl from the same background will band together, but everyone pretty much accepts everyone else, tho i do not except those who don't hold doors open or talk throughout an entire class. What kind of student would feel out of place at GMU? no one really, all walks of life are there What do most students wear to class? anything and everything, from burkas, casual clothes, dressed up, dressed down, etc... Do different types of students interact? sure There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. full, if you're at the JC in the afternoon Where are most GMU students from? prolly right here in fairfax What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? i've met some students who's parents are able to pay right out of pocket, some that are working through school, and some who are racking up the loans Are students politically aware / active? Are they predominantly left, right or center? there's def a population of students who are politically inclined, being so close to DC especially. i always thought that mason had a suprisingly large liberal group, but i'm not one of those politically inclined ppl, so idk Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? in passing in conversation maybe, but it's not like i've ever met anyone who won't shutup about it

i've had an awesome time at mason, i'd do it all over (maybe study more) but i like the area and the fact that there's alot of places to go around campus...hmmm, and parking sucks

Do professors know your name? in the smaller classes, yes- but in larger ones, forget it if you don't talk with them often Tell us about your favorite class evolution w/ dr. lawrey, great professor, and the class was structured to put the right perspective on the subject matter Least favorite? IT 103 *_* How often do students study? anywhere from "not at all" to "has no friends" Is class participation common? depends on the teaching structure Do GMU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? yeah, a lot of ppl actually appreciate their majors or just the fact that they are going to school, makes for conversation Are students competitive? bio major here- i see a lot of ppl doing pre med and going crazy about grades and whatnot What's the most unique class you've taken? dance appreciation O_o Tell us about your major / department. biology- some of the best teachers i've had, some of the hardest classes i've taken, but the department offers every opportunity for students to make the most out of those classes and to look forward down the road career wise Do you spend time with professors outside of class? not really, not a preference of mine, in class is enough for me How do you feel about GMU 's academic requirements? not impossible Is the education at GMU geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake? depends on what your major is...i don't get you english or history majors...

one of the most (or possibly THE most) diverse school in the nation

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? i'm gonna guess sororities/ basketball, at least that's what i automatically think of when i think of campus organizations Tell us about a group you’re involved with. ROTC Do students in dorms leave their doors open? i did when i lived there if i was just hanging out, ppl on your dorm floor are always a source of entertainment How popular are athletic events? Guest speakers? Theater? pretty popular, we have the patriot center right there, there's usually something going on Tell us about the dating scene. it's happening i guess How did you meet your closest friends? ROTC, a class here and there If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? studying or watching comedy central at home What traditions/events happen each year? mason day How often do people party? the norm, and those with no classes on a friday...a little more than norm :) How important are fraternities/sororities? they don't matter to me What did you do last weekend? most of the days consisted of work, go out and drink, repeat What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? definitely going to gym, bowling's always fun, dinner with friends, going to the movies, just staying in and watching tv What do you do off campus? i live in an apartment, so i work to pay the rent on that

Stephen

I think the best thing I like about GMU is the school of IT&E. It is exactly how I expected it and it is run just the way I like it. It is a reasonable large school but everyone seems to be acommadated equally and reasonably cared for. Many other schools don't seem to recognize GMU as a major university, but I noticed that many of the businesses really recognize the degree and the achievements involved. I spend most of my time at GMU in my dorm room or in the field house when I am not in the academic buildings. I really enjoy the buildings and the surrounding area. It doesn't feel like a town that is dependent on the college to survive. Just very well integrated, a seemless transition.

During my senior year a few of the professors have gotten to know my name. I think my biggest problem was that hte professors mainly kept to themselves. They were always happy to chat after class for a little bit but between there and class you almost never saw or ever interacted with them. I think one of the neatest classes I've taken was an ethics course for IT. I initially disregarded the class but I quickly took a further interest in the class when the professor really challenged us to understand the course by integrating real world issues into the concepts. I really think that the IT department has a very good course that prepares students for life and work after college. All of the classes are extremely relevant and salted with information on how to apply knowledge to situations found common in the workplace.

Not entirely, yes we have commuters being that we are in a major urban area. It is also true that we are crowded, but that has to say something of the schools popularity. Even schools such as Virginia Tech have commut3ers because have the school population refuses to stay on campus and lives in Blacksburg townhouses. So do we have commuters, yes. Are we totally a "commuter school," no.

GMU makes a very good attempt to keep people involved and informed of events. Sometimes events are really great and sometimes people just don't tkae to them. I find that the athletics really completed my GMU experience. The openness of club sports to take in and train new members really gave me some great opportunities. I can honestly say that my life would be significantly different with out some of the athletic activities.

Some of the biggest stereotypes of GMU and enrolled students is that they are all commutere students and the GMU is exclusively an overcrowded commuter school.

Patrick

Mason is all about diversity. They practically shove it down your throat. Also, "Mason Nation" is the new rage, after having the basketball team go to the Final-Four. If I could change one thing, it would be the atrocious parking. It is an embarassement to such a good school. It provides so much unneeded stress. In the winter it makes for some of the most depressing trips in between classes. In 2008, Mason's had everything under construction, making parking even more limited. Mason expects its students to park at the Field House across from the main part of campus, and take a shuttle in to then one to class. Students pay upwards of $170 to do this. For the price of tuition, this service should be free. Mason is just right. It'd be cool if they expanded in efficent ways to make for more opportunities. People usually say, "Oh, I hear that's a great school." Sometimes people don't understand how good academically it can be, so they act like it's just "that" local college. Mason isn't much of a college town. Mason's English administration is brilliant. The professors have such a varied amount of experience and character that no matter who you get, you are bound to grow as a person and really learn how to analyze literary works.

Most of the students who go to Mason are rather well off. There is tons of diversity, which is cool. It getts tiring seeing the same person, with the same type of experiences and stories. It's great learn about everyone's religion, ethnicity etc. However, I wouldn't go to Mason just for the diversity. Mason tends to bank on that a little too much. But, if you come to Mason, there's a good chance you won't feel left out. I think all colleges there's something for everyone. It all depends. Students range from brilliant to clueless on any number of political, economic and eviormental issues. It isn't always topic of choice and sometimes it's hard to tell what political views people have at Mason, because they will keep that sort of info to themselves.

Mason needs to have better food services that don't shut down on the weekends. The food is expensive and mediocer at best. A lot of the time the food employees don't get your order right and act as if they don't know what they are doing. Mason needs more fun activities. It isn't a cool and hip campus. It is great academically, but it would be so cool to have something more than a game room with pool tables. We don't even have a bowling alley. Our campus store isn't much either. We're a huge campus. We need enticing fun buildings and places to go to match the academic standards that are set.

That they're rich and stuck-up. Being located in the area it is, it can be easy to assume that the student body would be made of white kids. In addition, Mason is always labeled a "commuter" college rather than a "legit" college like some of the other's in VA.

The Frats and Soroties. Students do leave their doors open in the dorms a lot. The dorm area can be very inviting. Everyone is looking for a chance to party. Mason really cracks down on it though. On one hand the security is great, on the other hand I know that many dorm residents feel hindered, like they can't have a good time in the dorm because of noise or any other number of things. You essentially have to go off campus to party. Mason isn't the livliest of campus's. During the winter it's not really fun to be on campus. If I have fun on campus it's usually hanging out with friends in a dorm. In the summer everyone stays out and stays up. Lots of walking around, going places, enjoying the summer weather.

While, there are a lot of exceptions, Mason students can be pretty cold and unfriendly. This isn't the most welcoming of colleges that a person could pick. There are tons of "cliques" which make it crucial to make friends within the first two weeks of class. Just walking through the student JC, you can look around and basically see who hangs out together. That's where it can be easy to percieve students as "stuck-up." This isn't the type of college where you can just walk right up and introduce yourself to someone. As for the college being a "commuter" college--that's also kind of true. There's a reason Mason's parking lot is always packed. There's a huge population of students who live off campus. Tons of students I know drive to school, go to class, and then drive home. The students that do live on campus, usually go off campus for the weekends. They do this to either go home or to go into DC.

My favorite class might have been English 334 with professor Lathbury. It was a ton of work, but I don't think I've ever learned so much in the semester I took that class. Most of the classes require some amount of studying, it is college. Select Mason students can have really amazing conversations, it's all about who you know. The Communication's Department is growing and could be better. The more staff that joins, the more unique classes become available making it a more enjoyable experience. The PR department is geared towards getting a job. The English department is geared towards bettering yourself as a person. Both are useful.

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.