Fairfax, VA
George Mason University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Mason University

Laura

Mason is huge and very diverse. I love the diversity in ethnicities and cultures, but I hate how they dismiss "the majority". White people are sometimes treated like second class in an attempt to overly please minorities. Christians are completely overlooked and often criticized altogether.

I'm a commuter, so I see everything as an observer.

From my experiences, I think they describe about half of the student population.

The Communication department is fabulous. The professors know your name, they want you to succeed, and they have the connections for successful job placement.

Mason students are either rich brats riding through school on their parents money, or they are hard working penny pinchers that desire a great education but can't afford to go anywhere else.

Pat

People think we are a dead campus on weekend because outsiders think we all go home.

Not at all. I have more fun on weekend than i do during the week, and probably see more people on the weekend than i do anytime during the week.

Tarek

1. best thing is our location 2. one thing i would change the people hired as gmu police officers 3. gmu is just right 4. most common reaction "the final four school" 5. most of my time is at student activities, the staff is great 6. what college town, but who needs one with DC so close by 7. i don't think gmu's administration listens to the student body enough 8. one of the benches in the quad area was vandalized 9. depends who you ask, i don't have a lot of school pride but i didn't in high school either 10. i have never encountered anything unusual 11. one experience i will always remember is the first shack-a-thon even during greek week 12. most frequent complaints are parking and food

1. friendly relations, never had a bad encounter or situation 2. a student not open to change, tolerance, "diversity" 3. i have seen everything to anything 4. not as much as they should 5. there are two tables pushed together with a fraternity and sorority sitting together, another table has a group of girls studying (usually the same race), the last table is a mixed group of students sitting together 6. bordering or local states 7. i would say there is a large percent of students that come from a wealthy background 8. i would say about 60% are aware/active 9. left 10. i have heard more talk about winning the lottery

1. greeks 2. omega psi phi, we work hard in order to play hard 3. i live off campus, but when i do visit most doors are closed 4. basketball has become more popular, but i almost feel bad for the other varsity sports teams 5. guest speakers are outstanding 6. i have not attended any theater performances at gmu 7. gmu is like baskin robins, we have 31 flavors when it comes to females. the dating scene is great 8. i met my closest friends either in class or at student programming 9. watching a movie 10. homecoming - somewhat overrated, mason day - great event, midnight madness - a really big pep rally, NPHC step show - great show 11. if you really wanted to you could find a party every night, but the larger parties take place over the weekend 12. fraternities/sororities are vital to college campuses and communities 13. it was spring break, i traveled to puerto rico 14. go to the cinema, find an on campus event, study, hang out with friends, go to ikes, go to DC 15. anything that isn't available on campus

1. gmu is a commuter school 2. diversity

1. the number of resident students we have compared to other schools in virignia is almost the same however we have more commuter students than those schools which is why the stereotype exists 2. what is the point of diversity if there is no integration.

1. depends on the size of the class 2. my favorite class is govt 490 with prof hugh sockett. each week we cover different controversial topics and issues related to those topics followed by discussion, debate and questions to determine our own opinions (socratic method). my least favorite class was math 106 with prof kiley. probably one of the worst prof i have ever encountered. he was very rude, confusing, unwilling to help and had bad hygiene. 3. some students study regularly, but most students study only to complete work or prepare for exams 4. depends on the class, but it seems that in the classes where it is either recommended or mandatory, students still fail to participate 5. depends on who i talk too, but i think it's harder to find someone to have an intellectual conversation with unless they are either a grad student or staff member 6. no, students are not competitive 7. most unique class was govt 490 8. only time i come in contact with major/department is to meet with my advisor 9. i work after class so i don't have time to chat 10. academic requirements provide students with a well rounded curriculum 11. i think it's geared towards both getting a job and learning for its own sake

Alex

My best experience was with GMU Intramural Sports. I have learned so much from being a supervisor. I feel that it has prepared me for my future career in law enforecement. I have a tremendous resume and work experience from it. That job would not have been possible at any other university. The people I worked for were very good people.

The campus is the most diverse place I have ever been. I live in Maine wher the population is 99% white. Then I moved to Alabama where everyone is very ignorant to other cultures. But my experience at GMU has opened my eyes for other cultures.

I wouldn't go to school anywhere else.

somewhat, GMU does not seem to reject too many people

Some classes are very large and the mass of students makes it impossible to know professors personally. I do not study as much as business or marketing majors. Administration of justice seems to come natural to me so I do not have to study too much. I do feel that the career services for GMU in the Criminal Justice field is pathetic considering all he federal agencies close by. I was president of the ADJ Club on campus. I worked to bring these agencies on campus but received no help from faculty.

dumb, some people say that GMU is barely a step up from a community college

It is a college campus and a commuter campus. There is not too much to do besides drink if you are not from this area. Since I did not drink, I spent my Saturday nights either working or playing games on my computer.

Harper

GMU has a fabulous English Literature department - and for a bit more than $7000 (in-state) a year, it's a nice bargain. GMU is basically a commuter school - there is very little in the way of a 'school community.'

It's a diverse campus divided by cliques.

If you want to get a good education for a fraction of the cost of many universities, especially in the fields of English or Journalism, and don't mind treating college like a job - get in, get what you need to get done, get out - GMU is a great school. If you are looking for the 'college experience,' I'd look elsewhere.

Not entirely, though there is plenty of evidence around to both prove and disprove this rumor. As with anywhere, just realize you are going to need to look hard for certain things and blind yourself to others.

The English Department is packed with wonderful, intelligent professors. There are a few I do spend a good deal of time with outside of class. GMU students, on the whole, talk much like they would if they were at one of the local shopping malls outside of class - if that is what you call 'intellectual,' then there is plenty of it here in Fairfax.

I'm a student journalist - most students don't realize that there is a campus newspaper, news site, etc.

Snobby, clique-orientated rich kids from Fairfax, Virginia. Many feel that a good deal of the students at George Mason University come to the school because they're not really sure what else to do - High School 2.0, you could say. GMU is also considered a mild 'upgrade' from the Community Colleges in the area, thus painting a good deal of the students in a rather half-bright light.

Ryan

I think the best thing about GMU is it's location to Washington D.C., great campus, and good sports teams. Those were my big three factors when deciding on a college. One thing I would change about GMU is the campus police. For some reason the George Mason is way to over protected. I know you want to feel safe on campus but I've seen the GMU police in under-cover cars giving kids tickets on campus. C'mon now. Also GMU is obessed with giving violations to students that are caught drunk on campus. It's college, lighten up. I spend most of my time on campus in the JC or Presidents Park. The JC reminds me of Penn Station in NY haha. Its also flowing with people going every direction. One of the biggest controversies on campus is parking. Now I know George Mason is working on the parking situation, but I making freshman park in West Campus parking lot, is cruel. It takes no joke, 30 mintues just to get to your car on the shuttle bus. My all time record spent on the shuttle bus, 42 mintues! I love the school pride at Mason. Everyone wears Mason gear and many of my friends that have visited have commented on that. Its great to see on campus.

No one feels out of place at Mason because there are so many different types of people here. It doesnt matter what you wear to class because there so many types of clothing worn by students. Wear your pjs to class, no one would care.

Stereotypes about George Mason....well, from the few that I've heard is that George Mason is a commuter school. Coming to school here from New York I was worried about that. When I got here, settled into my dorm in Presidents Park, it did not feel like a commuter school anymore. I made numerous friends right away.

The MOST popular organizations on campus are definitly the greek life fraternities. Even if you are not in a fraternity you know someone who is, or you are talking about it. It's a great experience, believe me. I am a freshman and just started my own fraternity at Mason. I'm having the time of my life. I met ALL of my closest friends from my fraternity. You just click cause you are constantly hanging out and sharing personal and funny stories. It doesnt matter what time of the day it is at Mason, people are always up. I don't go to bed until 3am cause my friends and I are always doing things. Either getting food at Ikes or hangin in the dorm room. Sometimes we even see the long boarders cruzin around the campus at 2am. I could go on for days on end about how important fraternities are to George Mason, but for the sake of people reading, if you have any questions at all just ask me, no question is a stupid one, e-mail me: rharty@gmu.edu.

Students at George Mason, in my opinon are intelligent. Although if you look on collegeboard.com, George Mason is ranked the eighth in the nation for students who dont study. haha.

Chris

Diversity: Must have more diversity-based organizations. Large school: Needs more campus housing. Not everyone knows GMU. In my room. Administration is very customer care based. Not allowing Michael More to come to campus. Yes, Mason Patriots are full of spirit! That we are going to the NCAA once again! My job at OFPS. Parking.

Have their own groups, but have help on campus. Global Nomad. Varies. Not always. Different backgrounds. White and Asian. Yes. Republicans. Yes...

They are all commuters and all have their own, separatist groups.

Greek organizations. International Association and OFPS. Mostly Freshman. Basketball! Not the rest... Not seen very often. Through OFPS. Sleeping! If awake, watching TV. International Week, Family Weekend, etc... Every weekend! Very. Went to the movie theater with my significant other. Movies and visiting family. Eat, watch movies, go shopping.

Yes, because I e-mail them. History has always been my favorite, but Math my least favorite. I, personally, stick to the syllabus! Most people participate, but some are very shy. Yes they do, during lunch. Yes, students are competitive with themselves. History 499, which was pretty much self-taught. Yes, I try to visit them during office hours. Very good. Both.

Mona

Usually, when people find out I go to Mason they don't react at all. We talk about how it is a good school in general and I honestly believe that. However, we also talk about how boring it can be. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't getting anything out of it, though. Freshman year was really fun and I slacked off. The kind of people coming into the school are, like I said, more average and sort of all very similar, though, so that sort of excitement definently dwindle as the pool of people became more static. Mason's terrible about financial aide. It's trying to include more people in groups and events which is good. I don't have any great memories tied to the school itself except the location maybe. We would climb on buildings. That's a tie to school I suppose.

I think that Mason is actually working to reach out to all groups. There's a definite growth in the acceptance of the LGBT community on campus. Race seems to have always been supported and I've never had a genuinely bad experience with anything having to do with race since I started my education at Mason. It's enlightening that there are a good amount of different racial communities and that, even though they usually are seperate on a normal basis, they aren't opposed to be conjoining or sharing with other communities. Religion isn't something I enjoy talking about and I find it shoved in my face far too often on campus. I respect everyone's rights to their belief but am completely opposed to it being forced upon others. I have refused and thrown away too many pamphlets from the Campus Ministry.

In all honesty, Mason isn't a bad place to be but it is segregating at times. There's much more concentration on sports and greek life than art. It's bothersome and it is tiring to be judged or considered uninvolved because I don't enjoy watching people run back forth on a wood floor throwing a ball around. There isn't much to do around here. The location of the school in general doesn't really support an active college experience, but at the very least there is DC I suppose.

That people are boring. That it's diverse. That people are kind of conservative.

It's hard to find people that aren't drinking on the weekends. We tend to try to do ridiculous things like play kickball or have dance parties that only sometimes involve alcohol. Honestly, most of us leave on the weekend to richmond, dc, or other places. The people that I spend most of my time with are pretty involved in activism like political groups and animal rights. I personally am not too involved but they have to go off campus usually for the events they are involved with. Most of us are also big supporters of the LGBT community on campus. I am, myself, straight but do what I can to show my support. So it means a lot to me and everyone I know that general support for this community is growing on campus.

Mason tends to attract really average people. This is especially true now that basketball is actually something to talk about. Frats are growing and what have you. So to a certain degree I find most people at mason to be pretty average. Not necessarily a bad thing, but... it gets old fast. It's not even all that diverse. People sort of stick to groups based on race.

Some professors know me but that didn't start to happen until I got into upper level classes. Even then Mason's cutting down on programs like English so classes are being made larger and turning into lecture courses which completely defeats the purpose of majoring in English. Booooo.... People here generally are pretty smart so it's not too too hard to find someone with which to have intellectual conversations with. As far as classes go, not enough people talk and I have gotten by too easily. I get decent grades without going to class and I'm a little ashamed of that, but I think it says something to the level of difficulty I am experiencing in my classes. I have yet to really 'hang out' with a professor. I only talk to them if I have to. Also! important to note is the fact that I disagree with requiring students in the arts to take a math. Especially when the math teachers that are teaching the supposedly lower level math are pretentious and think you are stupid because you don't understand their scribbling on the bored. I have yet to have a good experience with a math teacher.

Danielle

GMU is an alright school, it's too big for where it is, and it advertises as a comuter school, yet there is NOT enough accessible parking for the comuters. They close the parking lots to do construction, but don't think about the needs of the student body.

GMU is phenomenoly diverse, I can't imagine anyone feeling out of place. There are all sorts of cultures, sexual orientations, financial backgrounds, etc.

yes, some younger students don't understand that it isn't high school and this isn't the geeks versus the preps, this is a place of learning, but after you get through the freshmen, the upperclassmen generally aren't as closeminded.

The classes at GMU, after you get through gen eds, can be wonderful. Most of the professers are really intelligent and passionate about their area of expertise. They are truely devoted to the students, and aren't shy about assigning homework and papers, but most grade fairly.

GMU is like highschool, but the students are older.

I'm not really invovled with campus life, I work when I'm not in class.

Harper

Big campus, well landscaped and well kept, very safe at all hours. You can find work around town pretty easy. You don't need a car, there's a bus that runs through Fairfax and will get you to the DC metro, so you have access to the city and all that comes with it.

Very diverse, but it's celebrated to a fault. Many student organizations, so something for any/everyone. Very casual to class, jeans, sweats, etc. Many students are part-time, working professionals, many with more 'life experience' and it's not uncommon to have retirees in class as a hobby.

I'm glad I went there, but I wouldn't do it again.

Most professors are teaching cause they want to, coming from business and government. Many work(ed) in government in DC and teach on the side or in retirement, so they bring real experience.

Yes, but it's possible to find your own niche. many students leave on weekends to go home or live at home to begin with.

Many student organizations: politics, academics, sports, religion, social, etc

George Mason University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.