George Mason University Top Questions

Describe the dorms.

It all depends on where you live on campus. The freshman housing in President's Park is the typically freshman housing with a bathroom shared by the floor and doubles or triples. Other areas of housing like Dominion, Tidewater and Blue Ridge have some singles, but mostly doubles in a sweet style. Student Apartments on campus are the oldest housing currently but it has a living room, kitchen and bathroom, however most are doubles, with a few singles. The dorms that are apartment style with singles are Liberty/Potomac and some rooms in Northern Neck. I've lived on campus since freshman year and I love it.

There is a HUGE variety in the dorm life on campus. There are so many different options. Freshmen typically live in the halls that have entire floors sharing a common bathroom. Typically, there are doubles that come with the beds, dressers, and desks. The sizes of the dorms are definitely a change from having a big room to yourself at home, but compared to some schools they aren't the worst by any means! As a sophomore, junior, and senior, you'll get to live in other dorms with options to live in on-campus apartment style suites, doubles, singles, or off- campus apartments. There are so many options to suit everyone's wants. The only downside is that the demand is SO high for on-campus housing, that if you ever move off-campus and want to come back, your chances are slim!

Maram

Having lived in the dorms, I believe they could be much better for the price. The Commons are the worst of all, but they are getting renovated. In fact, when school gets back on in two weeks, all of the people who formerly lived in the old Commons buildings will be moving into brand new ones! It's pretty exciting.

The dorms at George Mason all range from best to worse. The best dorms at George Mason are Hampton Roads, Eastern Shore, Northern Neck, Potomac Heights, and Liberty Square. The only downside to Potomac Heights and Liberty Square is the long 8 to 10 minute walk to Southside. All the other dorms by Southside, except Student Apartments, offers the convenience of a 2-3 minute walk to Southside. The worst dorms at George Mason are the Student apartments and townhouses. I heard from others who lived there that those areas are swamp lands with ugly looking walls. Commonwealth and Dominion used to be the worst dorms, but these dorms were recently repaired. Now, these dorms are somewhat resemblant to the conditions at University Commons. New dorms are being added like Rogers and Whitetop. The new freshman are being moved there, while University Commons undergoes repairs. Other dorms will continuously be built for several more school years.

Patrick shows us GMU at lunchtime.

Patrick gives a tour of a dorm.