George Mason University Top Questions

Kelly

Quiet, hardworking, very intelligent people.

There are so many students at Mason it is hard to typify one particular breed. There are gamers and jocks. Frat boys and Sorority girls. There is almost every culture and country you can think of represented. From my experience at Mason I can tell you students are nice, they are pretty much all good people will to help each other out, and very accepting.

My classmates are motivated individuals with a positive outlook and a gratitude for having the opportunity for a better education.

Melissa

People always open doors for one another.

Danielle

My clasmates love to spark up debates to better understand other people's views on certain issue or topics that are popular in our world today.

Caitlin

As a member of the Honors College, the majority of my classmates are intelligent, interactive, and interesting individuals who continuously show an eagerness to learn new things.

Alina

Depending on the class size, the numbers of my classmates may differ from 23 to over 100, but in every class there are mixes of calm and outgoing personalities, freethinking and intriguing minds, and compassionate individuals.

Dalton

the student body at George Mason is diverse.

Jill

My classmates were an international bunch that ranged from highly motivated and very intelligent to slovenly and ill-prepared. It was fairly easy to find others that were intellectually curious due to the living learning community I was part of freshman year. I think the relationships I created during my four years at Mason were my greatest asset and the source of much of my education during that time.

Ellim

My classmates tend to not want to fraternize with each other but rather make friends from other avenues such as clubs or organizations

vanessa

Most of my classmates are friendly and eager to help you if you need some help; some of them are kind of reserve where they don't get involve with others.

gabrielle

My classmates are people from all socioeconomic classes, ethnicities, and interests, united by a common priority of education.

Zainab

They all are helpfull.

Brianna

My classmates are intriguing, inquisitive and creative peers who know how to approach problems with a critical and open mind.

precious

George Mason is a great school, probably one of the safest campuses you could ever attend, the police are literally right around the corner. The professors are from all over the world and definitely will help you get the education you need.veryone is very friendly if you ever are lost or need help people will definitely point you in the right direction. Since its so close to D.C the internships and the jobs here are quite promising. If your looking for a school with great school spirit, academics, nice quiet setting, pick here!

Faris

Relaxed

Kristy

My classmates are generally friendly and diverse.

sarah

My classmates seem to be absorbed in their personal lives.

Anastasia

My classmates are from around the world with something unique to share.

Amy

Mason students are engaged and focused, but focus on social activities and community service as well as academics.

Celeste

My classmates are intelligent and diverse.

Syed

My classmates could best be described as diverse, the multicultural enviroment does not lead to conflict but instead through understanding it breeds a strong community.

My classmates are socially conscious, goal driven, and hopeful. GMU has a network of students that want to change the world for the better and work together to achieve this goal. The students of GMU are friendly, helpful, and work for the common good. There are a variety of learners and programs so you are guaranteed to have classmates that share your interests but have individual aspirations. This creates a community of learners working together to make the world a better place using their complimentary talents and interests.

Tabitha

My classmates are smart and deticated to their school work and they are well rounded individuals who take on leadership and tasks around them.

My classmates are individuals with lives that involve work, family and school so they are busy but hardworking.

Patrick

My classmates are intelligent and hardworking and they like to involve themselves in our numerous class discussions.

Farah

Like a box of chocolate.

Cassandra

People here may seem reserved at times, but don't be shy-- most people are really nice when you get to know them, and the only thing stopping a lot of great friendships is a lack of initiative when it comes to conversation.

Rafhat

They are a group of amazing and ethinically diverse people.

My classmates come from a wide range of backgrounds, as far as ethnicities, personalities, religous views, political views, and philosophical views.

Amira

smart. nice. helpful. drive.

Thomas

The student body at George Mason is very friendly, accepting, and diverse. As one of the most racially diverse campuses in the United States, this should be expected. George Mason itself has dozens of programs to welcome and support all types of people of any ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation. I have never seen any issue between students on campus related to one's background or preferences. George Mason is an extremely friendly campus.

Meagan

The student body at Mason is very diverse, and we have a lot of international students. No one should feel out of place, because there is literally someone with the same interests.

.

.

Vladyslav

No comment

Since coming to Mason, I have learned that this school has students with huge hearts and open minds. You will rarely see any group that doesn't contain at least three different races or religions, all interacting and being accepting of one another. Whether you're shy, outgoing, Jewish, Islamic, Christian, Caucasian, straight, or considered "middle class", you will find people who welcome you and do not judge you based on your race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.

They are my friends. We not only go to class together but we hang out outside of the classroom. We motivate each other to do better, instead of thriving on competition.

George Mason has a very diverse community and everyone intertwines. It isn't like groups of white kids together and spanish kids in another corner. There isn't really a certain way people dress at GMU. You have the people who come to class wearing yoga pants/sweatpants and a sweatshirt. You can also find the girls with the UGGS and the Hollister shirt. You can find the guys with the cargo shorts and t-shirts. Most students are from northern Virginia but a lot of states are represented in the school and so are a good number of countries.

Jon

The topic should first be clarified; I have noticed that in my classes I have three types of personalities. The first type, to summarize in one sentence, are those who are simply in college, for lack of a better term, "just because" and care little for their grades. The second type which is the majority, are those who are dedicated to their studies and go to almost every class and study hard. Finally, the last type are those who are just brilliant and do not need to go to class to get the "A."

Maram

George Mason University is one of the most diverse schools out there. You can literally - and when I say this, I mean it - find someone of any background here. With over 250 clubs, there are plenty of organizations to delve into, to meet new people and form new ideas. Different types of students interact regularly. Prejudice is strongly looked down upon in our school. The campus is easily accessible, with alternate routes for handicap available throughout campus.

Leonard

My experience with the different groups on campus is there is a strong presence of cultural groups whether they be African, Hispanic, Asian. or European. The LGBT have a strong presence as I mentioned earlier about the Homecoming Queen being a gay man. No students would feel out of place at this school Most students wear jeans, running shoes, and nice shirts. There are some working professionals and they wear business casual. Different types of students interact at the sporting events and the intramural games. The four tables of students in the dining hall consist of local Virginians, ROTC, Koreans, and Persians. Students are predominately left. Students do talk about how much they will earn one day.

Cheryl

My classmates at George Mason University are not only ethnically diverse, but also intellectually diverse.

George Mason is probably the most diverse campus I've ever been to. The variety of cultures and ethnicities is incredible and there is so much to learn from the multitude of individuals at Mason. Because of this, I feel that the students at Mason are very open and accepting. We have a high presence of students that have physical and intellectual developments. At some schools I've visited I've sensed hostility toward these types of students, but at Mason they are part of the community -- which has impressed me the most. Students talk to these intellectually or physically impaired students just as if they would talk to anyone else. They make them feel included. It is so refreshing to see this. Also, everyone interacts here. It doesn't feel like high school at Mason. I don't really feel that there are many cliques. I can say, personally, that I have friends from all types of backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, and so on.

George Mason is probably the most diverse campus I've ever been to. The variety of cultures and ethnicities is incredible and there is so much to learn from the multitude of individuals at Mason. Because of this, I feel that the students at Mason are very open and accepting. We have a high presence of students that have physical and intellectual developments. At some schools I've visited I've sensed hostility toward these types of students, but at Mason they are part of the community -- which has impressed me the most. Students talk to these intellectually or physically impaired students just as if they would talk to anyone else. They make them feel included. It is so refreshing to see this.

Brooke

George Mason offers a pretty diverse group of students. The student population includes international, transfers, out- of- state, various racial and ethnic groups, different age groups, and various religions and beliefs. Most students come from the Northern Virginia area, though students come from other places as well. The best place on campus to find the diversity is in the Johnson Center. Despite the differences, the students here think alike for the most part. Students of different groups rarely intermingle and remain amongst their own. When it comes to interacting with different groups, I found some groups to be more or less welcoming than others. I believe it depends on the people and the culture. It's tough to find any real friends in an urban area, where the emphasis lies in doing things quickly, constant texting, and obsession with facebook. I think it's possible to find decent people. It's a matter of weeding through the obsessive texters and facebook users. Since a lot of students are from Northern Virginia, there is a tendency for people to view themselves as more well off than others. Politically, I consider students on campus to be fairly moderate and toward the left. However, the school newspaper presents more conservative views, which I don't believe represents the majority of George Mason students.

Brooke

The students at George Mason are a pretty diverse group. The student population is made up of international, transfers, out- of- state, various racial and ethnic groups, different age groups, and various religions and beliefs. Most students are from the Northern Virginia area, though other students come from other places as well. Best place on campus to find this great mixture is in the Johnson Center. Despite the differences, the students here think alike for the most part. Students of different groups don't intermingle a lot and stay amongst their own. When it comes to interacting with different groups, I found some groups to be more welcoming or standoffish than others. I think it depends on the people and the culture. It's tough to find any real friends in an urban culture, where the emphasis lies in doing things fast, constant texting, and obsession with facebook. I think it's possible to find decent people, but it's just a challenge to weed through the obsessive texters and facebook users. Since a lot of students are from Northern Virginia, there is a tendency for them to view themselves as more well off than people from other places in Virginia at times. Politically, I consider students on campus to be fairly moderate and somewhat toward the left. However, the school newspaper presents more conservative views, which I don't believe represents the majority of George Mason students.

Rebecca

Hard working and willing to study and put in the extra time until we know the material to the best of our abilities.

Alicia

Your classmates are like the family you never had.

Leonard

The classmates that I have incountered are all open to help each other out, and they push each other to do their best.