George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

While, there are a lot of exceptions, Mason students can be pretty cold and unfriendly. This isn't the most welcoming of colleges that a person could pick. There are tons of "cliques" which make it crucial to make friends within the first two weeks of class. Just walking through the student JC, you can look around and basically see who hangs out together. That's where it can be easy to percieve students as "stuck-up." This isn't the type of college where you can just walk right up and introduce yourself to someone. As for the college being a "commuter" college--that's also kind of true. There's a reason Mason's parking lot is always packed. There's a huge population of students who live off campus. Tons of students I know drive to school, go to class, and then drive home. The students that do live on campus, usually go off campus for the weekends. They do this to either go home or to go into DC.

These stereotypes are accurate to some extent. But George Mason students also work on campus as well. Additionally, everyone at this school has a job. Some students have the luxury of focusing on their academic success and participating in several campus events. While students at George Mason are pretty diverse, the diversity isn't seen everywhere on campus. In most classes, the students are still mostly white with one to five minorities for the most part.

No. This stereotype could not be any more false. There will be nearly 7,000 students living on campus by the Spring of 2009. We are currently one of the top three residential campuses in Virginia, soon to be in the top 50 in the country. People don't go home on the weekends, they're just not in the dorms because they're around campus participating in activities or in D.C. at a concert, show, or a nice restaurant.

No, because the growing majority of students are not commuters. It is true George Mason University does have a lot of commuters but it is also in the heart of Northern Virginia. Most of the students I know are not commuter students they live on campus for their four years in college.

George Mason is in fact one of the most diverse schools in the nation. It is always growing and is fast becoming more than "just a commuter school."

Not true at all. Everyone at Mason is cool. The girls have integrity and are smart and fun to be around. It's a diverse campus.

Yes, but it's possible to find your own niche. many students leave on weekends to go home or live at home to begin with.

The school does have a lot of diversity, but that's partially what gives the school it's personality

for the most part, 70% of mason students complain but those who love it really love it

Yes, however, we don't really mingle. We're diverse yet kind of socially segregated