George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

I don't know.

I don't know.

Absolutely

Partially

yes.

YES

NO

for the most part yes....Mason is a commuter school however, as the years go on, it is becoming less and less of a commuter school by bringing more out-of-state students to live on campus. The social life will increase and turn Fairfax into more of a college town. However that can only happen if they are willing to acknowledge the fact that Mason is the largest college in Virginia. Although I do not know for sure if the stereotype of professors speaking english as their 2nd language is true or not, more than half of my professors have had a very hard time communicating with students to to language barriers. Since we do not have a football team, students do not acknowledge the fact that there are other sports team at Mason. It is starting to increase awareness because of the Final Four back in 2006 and with the Game of the Week emails that are sent out to the student body. And on the last note, i can definitly tell you that for the most part, ALL of the Mason Police Officers could care less about Rape, Stealing, Abuse or Assault Charges and CARE WAY MORE about filling quotas and how many people they can arrest for underage drinking instead of making sure these students are safe while walking back to their dorms.

1. No. There is always something to do, you just have to put yourself out there and do them. It may take a little more effort than in other schools, but the people here are friendly and very inclusive. Get involved! 2. Again, I'm afraid people expect everything to be done for them. Parties happen, but if they're on campus they're more like get-togethers because Mason cops are very strict. If you're loud on campus it's a recipe for cops. On the other hand, there are parties at houses off campus that are popular. 3. I think about half of Mason students commute, so campus is not as busy on weekends as during the week. That said, I enjoy the break from the business of the week. I like the tranquility. Moreover, it's easier to get closer to people on campus because they're in your same situation. 4. I think Mason can be classified as a "stepping stone" school, but not in a negative way. Mason is a firm institution and will give you a very good undergraduate foundation. As college graduates attend grad school more and more, I really think that Mason prepares its students for a more specific career in grad school.

The university itself is actually pretty good academically, especially if you enter it with the intentions of getting a quality education and pushing yourself. Also, most of the faculty has a lot of real-world experience that is meaningful in a classroom. The university is also constantly improving its academic status, and it is really trying to make a bigger name for itself. Unfortunately, a lot of the student population does reflect the stereotype. However, there is a wide spectrum of students at Mason, so you'll find a lot of intelligent and driven people here as well. The school is definitely still a commuter school, although there is a concerted effort to make it less so. This is evident in the endless (and often frustrating) amount of construction throughout the campus. For this reason, traffic is frequently atrocious! Also, as a commuter school, it is rather difficult to meet people and get involved on campus (although it is slowly getting better). If you want this kind of involvement, you have to make a deliberate effort to find join clubs or activities.