George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

It does have a large commuter population, but it is important to recognize that the students who do live on campus are very active, so students who chose to live on campus (as I would recommend) will not feel all alone. George Mason is also not a “backup school” or “easy to get into”. Admission is becoming more and more competitive every year. Currently, College Board reports that only 56% of students who apply are accepted, making it an extremely competitive University. (For example, the same source lists Virginia Tech's admission rate at 67%).

We are sometimes lazy or perceived as lazy because we often do not take Friday classes but most students participate in internships and having Friday's off is great because it opens up more time for us to go to work. We are so liberal it's annoying! Almost the entire Mason community is liberal- everyone from faculty and staff to the students. It is frustrating for the small percentage of us who are moderate or conservative to live day to day with out leftist views being pushed at us from everyone.

No, not at all! I work really hard to balance everything in my life. Even when I was single, I still worked part time while going to school, and almost every GMU student that I know has a part time job or does some kind of volunteering. I just don't think that people are appreciative of the education that they are getting at GMU because most people are commuters- there is no romanticism involved in off-campus life like there is, say, down at VA Tech or UVA.

I believe some of them definitely are and some of them definitely are not. The number one stereotype I believe is true is that there is not enough emphasis put on student organizations and interests. I have heard that Merten wanted to make the school an "ivy league university". But it's NOT one and shouldn't be molded into one. The student body needs to be allowed to mold the university into what THEY want it to be. That's when success will be attained.

While, yes, most of the students do commute, starting next year the freshman cannot have cars (which will lower the percentage of people living on campus leaving on the weekends). Personally, it's not that big of a deal having people who normally commute not there on the weekends because you'll probably be friends with people who stay around long enough to make friends with you in the first place.

Not entirely, yes we have commuters being that we are in a major urban area. It is also true that we are crowded, but that has to say something of the schools popularity. Even schools such as Virginia Tech have commut3ers because have the school population refuses to stay on campus and lives in Blacksburg townhouses. So do we have commuters, yes. Are we totally a "commuter school," no.

Mason tends to attract really average people. This is especially true now that basketball is actually something to talk about. Frats are growing and what have you. So to a certain degree I find most people at mason to be pretty average. Not necessarily a bad thing, but... it gets old fast. It's not even all that diverse. People sort of stick to groups based on race.

Unfortunately, there are many commuters or people who live on campus that go home for the weekend at GMU. Like everyone says college is what you make of it, usually you wont make friends with the people who go home all the time so you really don't need to worry about having no one to hang out with on the weekends. The friends you do make will be around.

No. When people sometimes stand up and introduce themselves at the beginning of the semester, they usually say they're from other states or from a southern area of Virginia. And about parking...people complain because they're too lazy to park in the back of the F lot. I always park there and there's plenty of space.

No, half of the school lives on campus and a majority of the rest are students who previously lived on campus and moved off with roommates. There are plenty of things to do on and off campus within student life, all you gotta do is look around. Mason's not a party campus, but there are parties going on.