George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

After living on campus for four years, I believe there is a strong sense of community on campus. Even students that live off campus are often in the JC and other areas, either studying or participating in clubs and organizations. I think people, even some students, underestimate the Mason community.

We are more known for being a commuter school but it is not all the way true. GMU trys and does make life interesting for students that live on campus with activities like Every Freakin' Friday. It is true that it is hard to get in if you are from Northern Virginia.

some, but ot all I do find that a lot students are well endowed with money Mason also does have a lot of commuter, but campus life is fun as well as the weekends even though sometimes the weekend are dull soemtimes its okay to not have a party going on every weekend

1. the number of resident students we have compared to other schools in virignia is almost the same however we have more commuter students than those schools which is why the stereotype exists 2. what is the point of diversity if there is no integration.

Yes, it's true it was a commuter school, but GMU is quickly changing that. Construction is underway for new research facilities for all the sciences and for new studio space for the fine arts. Also being built are new on campus housing buildings.

Mason is certainly not a commuter school anymore. We have grown so much since we became our own university in 1972 that we now have over 30,000 students enrolled at our 4 different campuses. THe image of a commuter school is a thing of the past.

I believe these stereotypes can prove accurate at most times. There are exceptions, but these stereotypes are pretty evident. The stereotype against the university is slowly changing, but I am not really sure in what direction Mason is headed.

yes, some younger students don't understand that it isn't high school and this isn't the geeks versus the preps, this is a place of learning, but after you get through the freshmen, the upperclassmen generally aren't as closeminded.

For the most part. There are a few clubs on campus but nothing really beyond ethnic based clubs and greek organizations. An overwhelming number of students are from Virginia and over half of the student population are commuters.

I found that I do run into a lot of kids I knew from high school. So yes, I think that statement was a pretty accurate, but I do not see them every day so it is not that typical high school interaction that he was referencing.