George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

Some, i have heard of people coming because they like to have a big time team like our basketball team. I just know thats how many of my friends from home knew about Mason, because of us going to the final four.

Not entirely, though there is plenty of evidence around to both prove and disprove this rumor. As with anywhere, just realize you are going to need to look hard for certain things and blind yourself to others.

Ten years ago, yes. Today, however, Mason has over 5,000 beds on campus with 2,000 more expected by 2010. The average GPA of incoming freshmen is above 3.5 and for the first time most applicants are rejected.

I believe the stereotype that GMU is a commuter school is accurate. However, I don't think it should have the negative connotation that everyone gives it. It really isn't a bad thing in all circumstances.

Sort of. There are a lot of commuters, but it's moving more towards residential. There are also a lot of international students, but we do tend to separate into our own groups and comfort zones.

These stereotypes are 100% accurate. Even tho in the last four years our on campus life has begin to grow tremendously. By 2009 there will be more than 8,000 people on campus.

This used to be the case but since they have built the new student apartments and dorms there are a lot more people on campus at all times, not just during school hours.

Yes and no. Many people do commute but every year all my roommates were out-of-state students, so that shows that there are many students that come from different areas.

I would say yes, most of the people from my HS who have gone to mason either weren't good enough to get into a college with a better reputation or could not afford one.

A bit. Many GMU students commute and GMU is very diverse so yeah we'll see groups of asians at a time. There's a campus life but nothing too huge to boast about.