George Mason University Top Questions

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Allison

So there are a great number of dining options now open to mason students: South side: South Side is an all you care to eat dining facility. They are open in the morning for breakfast and throughout the day until after dinner. There are several areas to get food at south side. There is the main area which has different foods every day and depending on the time of day. There is the salad bar, pasta and pizza bar, burger bar, cereal area, sandwich area, and a desert bar. This is a nice place to swipe in early in the day and sit and study all day without having to leave for food! Johnson Center: Johnson center has a few more traditional choices for students to choose from. The JC has Burger King, Taco Bell, Sub Connection (like subway), Italian food, Chinese food, Indian food, and another sandwich shop. The JC also has a mini convenience store. One Stop/Second Stop: Mini convenience stores located in the Aquia neighborhood and the new dorm buildings. Pilot House/ Ikes: Both are late night diners open in the evening until 2-4 in the morning. Pilot House has the better food, but Ikes has the better environment. Both places have breakfast type food such as french toast and pancakes to dinner food like steak and pizza. Georges: No idea what this restaurant is like it is always being rented out for social events. It is also more on the expensive side. Bistro: This is another all you care to eat place on campus. The food here is much better then south side however it is only open from 10-2 during the week. Since the food here is better it is also a little more expensive. Jazzmine's: This is a coffee shop found at various locations on campus. Other Dining options: Starbucks Subway Auntie Anne's / Red Mango (yogurt place) Burger Joint Chick fil a Pasta Joint

Allison

Maram

Food at GMU is fabulous, to say the least. If you're in the mood to quickly grab a bite and head to class, you can stop by the Johnson Center and get a sandwich from Burger King or Sub Connection. When you want to sit down and maybe chill with a couple friends, hit up the Southside Diner - the buffet options are endless! There are many places to eat on campus, as well as the Starbucks that is open 24/7.

Brooke

The food on campus, especially in Southside dining, consists mainly of junk food. The servers seem to prefer offering students more pizza, macaroni and cheese, and extra salty foods. The healthier food options, such as whole grain rice, beans, good carbs, and chicken are offered some of the time. Then these foods are offered in smaller portions than the junk food. This creates challenges to students trying to avoid the freshman 15. It makes no sense at all, because the meal plan deals go into these foods. Also, its time Southside started being a real buffet dining area, instead of an elementary school cafeteria. Other places on campus offer better food choices like Goldrush, the JC food court, Bistros and other places. Students have the option of choosing what they wish to eat. Their food isn't being dictated by staff members who wish to treat students as minors like Southside. As a whole, food options need improvement as well as the attitudes of some staff members. Still, there are quite a few nice staff members and cashiers.

Patrick

Patrick gives a tour of Ike's, the local eatery.