George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

Under water hockey is pretty popular but so is greek life at Mason. We currently don't have housing specifically for the greek community but it something that is in the works. There are all different types of greek organizations as well. Every week at Mason there is a game of the week where the university gives students a shirt, food, or something as added incentive to come out to sporting events, and students definitely take advantage of that. Our biggest sports teams are basketball, baseball, soccer, and swimming, but we have many more teams as well. Thirty Thursday are popular with students who are 21 and over. We all go out to a local wing place and drink then walk across the street to another restruant/bar and dance until early in the morning. On the weekends most people party in DC or go to house parties. There are lots of things to do that don't involve drinking in DC, lots of musuems, 18 and up clubs to just go dancing, nice places to eat and lots of places to shop. On the weekends I am typically doing something involved with my sorority,fraternity or with Mason Atheletics. I do go out from time to time to party with my friends but I do not consider myself the typical college party girl.

At George Mason if you have any kind of interests there is a club for you. If there isn't a club make one, it's easy if you can find others to join. The organizations range from academic to religious to interest groups. Greek life at Mason is not like many schools. There is no greek row or any greek housing. Fraternities and sororities hav events, but only get time to shine one week out of the year (Greek Week). Mason basketball is biggest athletic event students attend. It usually gets packed and special games, like Homecoming, are often sold out and packed. If football is your sport you won't really find it at Mason. The football team is a club sport with little support. The school newspaper, the Broadside, sponsors "Game of the Week" where they give free promotional items to the first 20 or so students that come. Ike's is were you will end up when you are hungry on a late night. It's a diner on campus that is only open late. It serves up greasey dinner and breakfast most nights until 3am.

Greek life and student government are quite popular. Some people get really into the basketball games, but I personally could care less. I personally was involved in Greek life and quite enjoyed it. Now I am involved in many academic and community service clubs. We are lucky enough to have the Patriot Center right on campus so there are a lot of cool concert and speakers. Most notable is probably Obama and Hilary Clinton and I've enjoyed Gorillaz, Pink, and I would have liked to see Russell Brand. I don't know what the dating scene is like because I'm dating my high school sweetheart. Mason is suitable for all sorts of people, there are plenty of activities that don't involve drinking, but there is also Ikes, which is open all night and a great place to go when you are drunk and hungry.

Anyone who leaves their doors open on a college campus is playing a game of luck. No group is more popular than another. I'm in the premed club, Alpha Lambda Delta (honors), and chemistry club. Athletic events are popular. People date here. We have Mason students perform in the theater as well as visiting casts. We have a lot of guest speakers for different department and club events. Mason has a lot of festivities (Mason Mayhem and other activities by the Program Board). There are Sororities and Fraternities, meaning formals and parties. There isn't a lot off-campus and on-campus going on over the weekends. You'd have to drive or go to DC or be satisfied watching movies in the JC cinema or University mall movie theater across the street from campus.

The Frats and Soroties. Students do leave their doors open in the dorms a lot. The dorm area can be very inviting. Everyone is looking for a chance to party. Mason really cracks down on it though. On one hand the security is great, on the other hand I know that many dorm residents feel hindered, like they can't have a good time in the dorm because of noise or any other number of things. You essentially have to go off campus to party. Mason isn't the livliest of campus's. During the winter it's not really fun to be on campus. If I have fun on campus it's usually hanging out with friends in a dorm. In the summer everyone stays out and stays up. Lots of walking around, going places, enjoying the summer weather.

There are more that 400 student organizations a student can join. They are subdivided on different categories such as sports, academic clubs, sororities and fraternities, business related clubs and organizations, and cultural groups. When I was a freshman, I was involved with the Chess Club and the Investment Club. Both of them were fun and engaging. Chess Club helped me improve my game, and I met a lot of interesting people in the process. Investment Club helped me learn more about investing and company analysis. George Mason University hosts various events that span from sports games that are very popular to theater performances and interesting educational lectures from the school professors about their own research.

I can't say that there is one most popular group to get involved with at George Mason. I think that there are popular organizations within certain categories. For instance, if you are interested in writing you would definitely want to get involved with Connect2Mason, the emerging online student newspaper. If you want to meet tons of new people but don't know where to start, fraternities or sororities are great options. If you feel strongly about your culture, clubs abound from those dedicated to hispanic heritage to those dedicated to European background. Religious organizations abound. My point is, there is no one outstanding group to join -- there are various groups you can find to suit your interests.

The most popular organizations are NSCS, Weekends at Mason, Program Board, and Student Government. NSCS is the largest honor society on campus. Program Board hosts JC cinema films, Patriot's Day, Mason Day, Homecoming, and other exciting campus events. Weekends at Mason hosts weekend events to make campus life more interesting to on campus students. This keeps on campus students from being stuck in their dorm rooms on the weekends. Student Government holds yearly elections and represents the student body. This allows students to have a voice issues that impacts them. These organizations allow students to enjoy exciting events and parties on campus.

Not to be a biased source but athletics is deffinately something very popular to be apart of. Because of the different sports teams' gear and the usual "gym clothes" get up you can usually tell who the athletes are and there sure are a lot of us. The athletes also seem to travel in packs. However sororities and fraternities are also popular and you definately see the masses sporting their letters in the Johnson center. I can say last weekend I was at a swim meet, and then in down time was doing homework. Not so much the glamourous life, however being a student athlete and a nursign student, I have to structure my time very carefully.

Theres a ton to do. We have all kinds of clubs and organizations for EVERYONE, we have breakdancing, rockclimbing, sports, etc. I used to be involved in Pride and we were all pretty close, and hung out alot. Theres always something to do on campus, whether its people coming to speak or art shows, or events. We also have pretty decent parties depending on what frats you go to, a little known secret is that the Jewish frat throws the best parties. We have greek life, but its not really that important unless your actually in one. Theres still alot to do in D.C. too, which isn't too far. We go to alot of protests.