George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

The worst thing about George Mason University (GMU) is that it doesn't have a football team. Other than that, the only problem that I ever had at GMU as an undergraduate was with the parking. Fortunately, when I returned for my graduate program, they had built two parking garages. They are currently building additional parking so that may solve that problem. Another problem that concerned others was the lack of student housing. I understand that they are opening several new housing areas in the near future. I believe GMU is responding to their student's needs.

The worst thing about George Mason would have to be the size of the technical sciences programs (Physics, Chemistry, Engineering). As a Chemistry major, I crave lots of lab time and exciting resources that Mason simply can't offer, as they are not a technical school. Since Mason prides itself on being a diverse school, it can't devote the resources to going in depth in every field that it is involved in. Economics at Mason is wonderful, the Biology and Nursing programs are stellar, but I would love to see some growth in engineering and technical majors.

I feel like people aren't really connected. There are no activities to bring people together and make friends. It's hard to make friends there especially for people who don't look american. All the students are in there own world. There is no campus life in the weekends, it's desserted, and leaves you feeling depressed. Also, the location of the university is in an Area where there is no After-school student life, unlike living in a city. Transportation is limited and makes it more difficult to go to further places. + tuition is so expensivee!

The worst thing about Mason is the plethora of choices that are offered. This would actually be a wonderful aspect to any school and I appreciate all the choices they have, but it is very difficult for me to choose between so many good options. From multiple interesting classes to unique clubs and sports, even the choices in daily dining, I am almost always torn about my options because they all seem to be so wonderful. Though I consider this one of the worst aspects about my school because it challenges me, I wouldn't have it any other way.

The worst thing about my school is the social aspect. Too many students rely on image and social ranking, which tend to make the school more about social experience than about academics. Many students seem to join fraternities and soroities for the popularity rather than the volunteer/charity part. I feel this is the worst part because it takes away from the educational aspect of why we are all at college. True, becoming social in college is important, but it is more important that we realize that we are here to learn and grow.

The worst thing about my school is the renovations and outside areas. People at my school area always complaining about the fact that they have to learn new routes to get to their classes because it is closed off due to construction. I found out that some of my friends have to move out from their dorm for the spring semester because the area they were living in is being renovated. The other thing that is just as bad is that there are people who smoke right outside of the main building, which causes non-smokers to hold their breath.

Parking. If you live on campus owned housing that is not directly on campus or if you are an off campus commutor, parking can become an issue. Unless you are on campus before 9AM or after 7:00PM parking is typically limited to the back of general lots. On occasion I have been late to class due to parking. Lesson learned though: arrive 35 minutes before your class to make it on time, 40 minutes to arrive comfortably. Also, you have to stay aware of big events on campus. They cause huge traffic issues. Those days be an hour early.

I don?t think it would be possible for me to say anything negative about George Mason University. It has a prestigious level of learning and there is a place for every person to fit in because of it?s diverse student body and different organizations. There are so many things that I love about this school and my experience here has been absolutely amazing. I feel that anyone that visit?s the campus would be able to say the same for it contains a vast number of things that would make their experience very enjoyable.

I think the worst thing about Mason is the "commuter school" reputation. The campus, although surrounded by a large suburban area, has the feel of a small town campus. Many high school students overlook George Mason for fear that they won't have a normal college experience. The number of people that actually go to Mason sometimes scares people. I have lived on campus for a year and a half and I can tell you that even though you see somebody new everyday, the friends you make on campus will always be around.

In the beginning of the year this very question would have been very difficult for me to answer but as I have finished my first semester at George Mason I have realized that the communication is lacking. There are hundreds of events occuring on campus everyday and even the sites that claim to share all of these events with the student population aren't updated so most of these events don't have a very good turn out or it is a hastle to find out where the event is even located once you have found out about it.